Discussion Worst ever jumper clashes

Remove this Banner Ad

Home teams wear whatever they want, including but not limited to white panels and blue shorts.

Away teams wear SOMETHING ELSE that provides a high level of contrast. If that means 3rd/4th kits in non-club colours then so be it.

Problem solved permanently. It doesn’t need to be any more complicated than the above.
I tend to agree, I think the problem is purely that the AFL seems to determine two clubs can't wear coloured shorts (save for games involving GC and Sydney) even though the AFLW has shown that the jumper is where the contrast needs to be. Absolutely no reason we couldn't have worn the home Indigenous jumper while North wore exactly what they did. Helps that their royal blue isn't as dark as black of course. But if the AFL deems a club has to wear white shorts, I don't think it's unreasonable for one of the two teams wearing a white home jumper to be the one that wears them. We moved away from black shorts always being home shorts a long time ago, no reason we can't move away from white shorts being exclusively away shorts.

I tend to agree, I think the problem is purely that the AFL seems to determine two clubs can't wear coloured shorts (save for games involving GC and Sydney) even though the AFLW has shown that the jumper is where the contrast needs to be. Absolutely no reason we couldn't have worn the home Indigenous jumper while North wore exactly what they did. Helps that their royal blue isn't as dark as black of course. But if the AFL deems a club has to wear white shorts, I don't think it's unreasonable for one of the two teams wearing a white home jumper to be the one that wears them. We moved away from black shorts always being home shorts a long time ago, no reason we can't move away from white shorts being exclusively away shorts.

No this is just unnecessary complexity.

The real issue is that clubs have wed themselves to their traditional colours and that limits their options when creating alternative kits. This is especially unhelpful because many clubs have similar palettes so it’s real easy for them to bump into each other (as Port did on the weekend).

The AFL just needs to mandate that every club must have a 3rd/4th kit that is predominantly a non-club colour. It would put an end to all this nonsense.

Home teams wear whatever they want, including but not limited to white panels and blue shorts.

Away teams wear SOMETHING ELSE that provides a high level of contrast. If that means 3rd/4th kits in non-club colours then so be it.

Problem solved permanently. It doesn’t need to be any more complicated than the above.
Totally agree. There are some in here who believe North need not wear their home kit (their own jumper and shorts combo) that is a little difficult for teams to get around if they have no imagination or a third kit, but then don’t apply that logic to their own team with it’s inherent problems. Can’t have it both way to suit yourself eg we’ve got no problem, but North has??

Totally agree. There are some in here who believe North need not wear their home kit (their own jumper and shorts combo) that is a little difficult for teams to get around if they have no imagination or a third kit, but then don’t apply that logic to their own team with it’s inherent problems. Can’t have it both way to suit yourself eg we’ve got no problem, but North has??
The issue with the latter is that the AFL has ruled that Geelong must wear white shorts in home games, while not applying the same rule to North.

I also don't disagree with the notion that clubs should have a 3rd / 4th kit in non club colours (aka EPL / Soccer style system). Eg the lime green Essendon jumper that makes the rounds on here. Or Port wearing a form of Magenta. North brining back the orange. Etc et al.

It might actually force some clubs to sit back and think about their priorities a bit better.

I agree with a major caveat - only if the shorts match the jumpers!

If you were a white top, black shorts - how can a club with similar colours avoid a clash - unless they wear non-club colours.

Non-clubs is an option (ie Collingwood in green) - but when we have the option of letting both teams wear traditional jumpers if the home is in white shorts, we should take it!

So if you want a majority white Home jumper, you should be ok wearing white shorts.

ie Cats v Carlton

Cats in white shorts mean both clubs can wear traditional jumpers - no clash.
If you put Carlton in white shorts, you are making a clash

So should Carlton wear green instead?

In many instances allowing both teams to wear coloured shorts reduces the problem
Ie, on the weekend Roos v Port - Roos could have been white/blue combo and Port in black/black
Would have been better than what they wore.
But white/white v black/black would still have been best contrast

I didn't take any pics, sadly, but Taylors Lake (red with a white vee) took on Kalkee (red with a blue sash) on Saturday, and both teams have red backs with white numbers. TL usually wear white shorts to make it easier, but for some reason wore red.

It was really tough to tell the teams apart, thankfully Kalkee wore blue shorts, because without that it would have been impossible.

Was watching WWT Vs Glenelg yesterday and the home side came out in white shorts after half time, the commentators said they thought it was because the increased yellow in Glenelgs Indigenous jersey caused a clash and the Tigers probably didn't bring white shorts.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 44
Reading back through some of these posts with folks nitpicking different combinations of shorts and number panel colours, you wouldn't last a weekend trying to watch the Super Rugby

I agree with a major caveat - only if the shorts match the jumpers!

If you were a white top, black shorts - how can a club with similar colours avoid a clash - unless they wear non-club colours.

Non-clubs is an option (ie Collingwood in green) - but when we have the option of letting both teams wear traditional jumpers if the home is in white shorts, we should take it!

So if you want a majority white Home jumper, you should be ok wearing white shorts.

ie Cats v Carlton

Cats in white shorts mean both clubs can wear traditional jumpers - no clash.
If you put Carlton in white shorts, you are making a clash

So should Carlton wear green instead?

In many instances allowing both teams to wear coloured shorts reduces the problem
Ie, on the weekend Roos v Port - Roos could have been white/blue combo and Port in black/black
Would have been better than what they wore.
But white/white v black/black would still have been best contrast

It’s up to the home team IMO.

In your example if Geelong want to wear white shorts and allow Carlton to wear navy then fine. But if Geelong want to wear their traditional navy shorts then Carlton better dust off the M&Ms/Livestrongs or wear something else that isn’t navy or white.

Then again in that particular example I’d almost accept Carlton in their full navy kit as the Geelong guernsey provides a lot of contrast by itself and would be the only white on field. But a Carlton non-club colour 3rd kit would still be ideal.

It’s up to the home team IMO.

In your example if Geelong want to wear white shorts and allow Carlton to wear navy then fine. But if Geelong want to wear their traditional navy shorts then Carlton better dust off the M&Ms/Livestrongs or wear something else that isn’t navy or white.

Then again in that particular example I’d almost accept Carlton in their full navy kit as the Geelong guernsey provides a lot of contrast by itself and would be the only white on field. But a Carlton non-club colour 3rd kit would still be ideal.
yeh we arent going to agree hey

Jumper yes, home team picks - but shorts, whatever is best contrast.

yeh we arent going to agree hey

Jumper yes, home team picks - but shorts, whatever is best contrast.

We won’t agree, and I’ll likely never get my way, because wearing club colours AT ALL TIMES is just culturally ingrained into the AFL for some reason.

Soccer has it right. No one asks Juventus to wear white shorts because they have a majority white shirt. They wear what they want, the away team obliges, and then Juventus returns the favour by wearing blue or pink or whatever else when the shoe is on the other foot.

It just works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won’t agree, and I’ll likely never get my way, because wearing club colours AT ALL TIMES is just culturally ingrained into the AFL for some reason.

Soccer has it right. No one asks Juventus to wear white shorts because they have a majority white shirt. They wear what they want, the away team obliges, and then Juventus returns the favour by wearing blue or pink or whatever else when the shoe is on the other foot.

It just works.
Don't worry, I don't get my way either because we still have white shorts used in ways that make clashes worse every week.

And shenagins like Pies v Blues where blues don't wear a clash at all.

Don't worry, I don't get my way either because we still have white shorts used in ways that make clashes worse every week.

And shenagins like Pies v Blues where blues don't wear a clash at all.

Yeah your way is at least better than that visual abomination. My main issue with it though is that it expects some clubs to make concessions but not others, depending on (laughably) what their colours are and (more laughably) their geography.

The soccer method is applied fairly to all clubs AND you end up with a better contrast. It’s win/win in my mind.

Reading back through some of these posts with folks nitpicking different combinations of shorts and number panel colours, you wouldn't last a weekend trying to watch the Super Rugby

Any of the rugby sports or even American football are poor comparison points. Teams don't 'overlap'. It's pretty easy to figure out who's who, unless it's a scrum situation (do they even do them anymore?)

Any of the rugby sports or even American football are poor comparison points. Teams don't 'overlap'. It's pretty easy to figure out who's who, unless it's a scrum situation (do they even do them anymore?)

At the risk of doxxing myself again, I got to call this match again last Saturday. Not as simple as you think but definitely less important than Aussie rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Back