Beauty & Style Wrist Watch lovers

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got this beauty

2529_1_L.jpg

Just realised I haven't put my last purchase in this thread. A bit less aesthetically pleasing than most of the watches here - a Suunto Elementum Ventus:

ventus3.jpg

I have had it for a couple of years and I love it. It's primarily a sailing watch - it has a tide tracker, a barometer and a compass, together with ISAF presets for start sequences - but I wear it for everything I need a sports watch for. Refereeing, running, swimming or even just going to the beach (I have a velcro strap for water).

All the benefits of a digital watch, but it has analog adjustment - adjusting the timer presets is as simple as popping out the wheel and turning it, as you would change the hands on a normal watch. Minimal pressing of buttons, very easy and intuitive.

Absolutely love watches.

I've just got a TISSOT PRC 200 quartz at the moment, which I wear 24/7. This thing is amazing.

It's a cheap watch in the scheme of things but I work in heavy duty industry and this has copped an absolute battering and hasn't skipped a beat.

It's been in extremely hot environments, cold environments, has been exposed to vibration, dust, humidity, has been bashed against things, has copped the wrath of a stick welder (has weld splatter stuck to it on the back), everything you could imagine being bad for a watch this one has been through. It still looks great apart from the scratches.

I even noticed a while ago when I had to adjust the date, that the crown was unscrewed. Who knows how long this thing was exposed to dust and I shower with it twice a day.

Just amazing. 500 bucks well spent.

I inherited an Omega Geneve gold-plated steel mechanical from the 1950s

Keeps pretty good time and looks great with its gold face

Hardly the watch of a connoisseur but i'm thinking of buying this at ~$400. Apparently runs on light.

1281104101.http

[youtube]NyY9NWy4od4[/youtube]

Interested if anyone has any experience with the eco-drive movements as well as thoughts on the aesthetics.

I got an Eco-drive for my 16th birthday off my parents now 27 still wear it never had an issue. Went away for a bit and left it in a drawer so obviously it stopped due to no sun and I thought it was done for but about ten minutes out of the drawer it was as good as new.

Was thinking about updating with Christmas coming up but might wait for my birthday and have a look around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I know someone who has that watch or a very similar one and it is HUGE.

There's also way too much wasted real estate on the face imo. More expensive and a somewhat similar look but I'd look at something like this if you want a black industrial looking watch with chronos, date etc. Also a bit more versatile and less likely to go out of fashion.

544969d1319833974-nav-b-chrono-ii-black-dlc-new-version-stein_nbii.jpg

That one's a bit crowded-looking for my liking. But yeah, I just googled a few pics of people wearing the Diesel watch and its like they have a freaking saucer strapped to their wrist.

I don't really need another watch, I just thought it was a pretty cool design with the exposed screw-heads and the whole thing being gunmetal. Would have been something pretty different to my other watches, at an affordable price.

Don't know a lot about watches looking for something for myself for Christmas what is the brand aeromatic lik? Specifically this one http://www.watchismo.com/aeromatic-a1164.aspx

Also is that site any good? It started appearing in the big footy adds after I looked at this thread good work targeted ads

Aeromatics are what would harshly be termed knockoffs - cheaper watches that ape the styling of expensive luxury brands like Breitling. There is nothing wrong with that, but just be aware that you are getting what you pay for. A fancy-looking mechanical watch that costs $160 is probably going to have pretty dicey build quality and you may find yourself having problems with it in a couple of years.

If you have your heart set on a mechanical watch and your budget is $150-$250, I would pretty much go for a Seiko. They have a few at that price point and although they're not as flashy, quality-wise they are a very highly regarded brand. Otherwise, most reputable mechanicals you'll be spending $250-$300 minimum.

Alternatively, if you're prepared to buy quartz then you can get a bunch of quality watches for less than $200.

Aeromatics are what would harshly be termed knockoffs - cheaper watches that ape the styling of expensive luxury brands like Breitling. There is nothing wrong with that, but just be aware that you are getting what you pay for. A fancy-looking mechanical watch that costs $160 is probably going to have pretty dicey build quality and you may find yourself having problems with it in a couple of years.

If you have your heart set on a mechanical watch and your budget is $150-$250, I would pretty much go for a Seiko. They have a few at that price point and although they're not as flashy, quality-wise they are a very highly regarded brand. Otherwise, most reputable mechanicals you'll be spending $250-$300 minimum.

Alternatively, if you're prepared to buy quartz then you can get a bunch of quality watches for less than $200.

Yeah I read a few forum posts that said as much regarding the gerasian brands, my budget is prob about $300 max and I did like the skeleton look for something different like the one in the link above, don't know a whole heap about watches can you recommend and brands in my price range or any sites to look at.
Thanks

Basically, you're not going to get a good-quality skeleton watch for under $300 (as far as I know). It's a pretty flashy design that is reserved for pretty expensive watches. If the style is a dealbreaker then you may as well buy that one - just be aware that you won't be getting the best quality.

For quality mechanical watches under $300 I'd look at Seiko, Citizen and Tissot. Fossil and Diesel are worth a look if you prefer a more modern/young style. Other posters will probably have other suggestions.

Basically, you're not going to get a good-quality skeleton watch for under $300 (as far as I know). It's a pretty flashy design that is reserved for pretty expensive watches. If the style is a dealbreaker then you may as well buy that one - just be aware that you won't be getting the best quality.

For quality mechanical watches under $300 I'd look at Seiko, Citizen and Tissot. Fossil and Diesel are worth a look if you prefer a more modern/young style. Other posters will probably have other suggestions.

Yeah style isn't really that important ill know what I want when I see it, thanks for your help

Just had a look through the brands websites above to sure I like the plain old school watch look
Fossil have so e nice looking semi skeleton watches on their site

http://www.fossil.com.au/en_GB/shop...eSize=1000&pn=c&cm_vc=353086&imagePath=ME3023

Yeah I read a few forum posts that said as much regarding the gerasian brands, my budget is prob about $300 max and I did like the skeleton look for something different like the one in the link above, don't know a whole heap about watches can you recommend and brands in my price range or any sites to look at.
Thanks

I've got a Bulova open-heart watch. It's not quite a full skeleton but you can see some of the workings. The automatic movement is made by Citizen. I've had it for around 6 months and no complaints. You should be able to get most of their watches on Amazon for under $300. Mine was $240 but I've seen it for cheaper since then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back