News X. Clarke could retire

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't normally feel sorry for ex players but in this case i do.

Feel sorry for him.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/08/06/251911_ntsport.html

Clarke could call it quits
GREY MORRIS | August 6th, 2011

TERRITORY Lion Xavier Clarke's AFL career is on a knife edge.

The former St Marys player's 106-game career with St Kilda (105) and Brisbane (1) again has run into long-term injury problems.

Clarke, 27, tore a tendon in his left foot last week, an injury that requires season-ending surgery

A shame. Was spoken about as being one of the core group that would lead us for the next 10 years...

We're goddamn lucky we picked up Dal and Joey after our first 2 picks in 2001.

****. Along with Maguire, if they were all injury free that would surely have gone down as the greatest draft by a team ever...

A shame. Was spoken about as being one of the core group that would lead us for the next 10 years...

We're goddamn lucky we picked up Dal and Joey after our first 2 picks in 2001.

****. Along with Maguire, if they were all injury free that would surely have gone down as the greatest draft by a team ever...

It would have been a very **** draft by us, having a fit Goose roaming the backline with Chips & Gilbo, X on the flanks with Ball retaining his 50m passes on the run after burning off 2-3 peeps.

But alas, they got injured and were moved on, great servants to the club but sorry, we need to say goodbye here and catch up later, a similar story one would think, with Dempster & Schneider with Sydney.

I do feel for the bloke though, it'd be entirely painful to sit back and watch simply because your body is failing you, and he's a decent bloke to boot so you really just want him to be sitting back enjoying his time at the lions and having a ball at being an AFL player and a rep for those in the NT and his "people", instead, he's questioning his worth on yet another injury setback.

Feel for X. Was really rated as a youngster, which was confirmed when Burkey passed on the #3 Jumper to him once he retired.

Injuries set in and he not only lost confidence he lost pace, skill and agility.

That's the way it goes sometimes.

He could retire? I not so sure about that.
According to a contact I have in Brisbane he will play more AFL footy yet.

Maybe he will play next year. Anyway, back to this week let's show the wobbles what we are all about.

He could have been anything. Had speed, skill and a great vertical leap for someone his size. Pity his body couldn't stand up.

It's just another thing that leads back to Grant Thomas.

If he'd had the vision to get proper injury management and didn't let the players run training, we would've had at the very least 1 flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always thought we wouldnt have moved him on apart from his consistant injuries.
I also couldnt think of a reason things would be better at Brisbane.

He had a contract with us but was offered 2 years at the lions,
so decent is he he left a message for supporters.

almost wish there was something at the saints for him to do- although Darwin and his family may be the stronger pull- I beleive he is in melbourne this week as part of recovery.

I wonder how his recovery would have gone had he not changed training regime- I remember him speaking of changes when he got to Brisbane But given their injury worries over the last couple of years it may have been some of that change that meant a longer than expected recovery..

as many have said - what might have been....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back