Xbox not up to scratch, say gamers

Remove this Banner Ad

The two have no correlation at all. Using kb/m is easier, therefore requires less skill.

Um no. Using keyboard/mouse gives you more control, allowing the best players to play to an even higher level than on a console, where even noobs can rack up kills.

Think back to the first time you played CS - did you get wtfpwned repeatedly until you worked it out? Of course you did. Because the game is hard and the good players get REALLY good at it.

If you make a game like that for consoles, they don't sell - why? Because the children playing 360 FPS games online are going to chuck a tantrum at getting killed and take the game back.

Which games are you referring to?

Almost all console FPS titles, including but not limited to, Halo 3 and COD4

The moment you hop online with either, you are able to get kills. And that's fine for the casual gamer imo - I just prefer having to really work at a game to get good at it.

It took me literally months to get good at my favourite games: TF2, Counter Strike, Civ4 and Neverwinter Nights are probably the four games I've played most over my life. I just don't see that kind of scale with games on consoles anymore, and that's not specific to 360 - the same thing happens on PS3.

Um no. Using keyboard/mouse gives you more control, allowing the best players to play to an even higher level than on a console, where even noobs can rack up kills.

Think back to the first time you played CS - did you get wtfpwned repeatedly until you worked it out? Of course you did. Because the game is hard and the good players get REALLY good at it.

If you make a game like that for consoles, they don't sell - why? Because the children playing 360 FPS games online are going to chuck a tantrum at getting killed and take the game back.

I'm a little confused, are you saying CS is a complex game (its not), or that if there was a keyboard/mouse game on 360 that no-one would buy it?

I haven't played Halo3 in a while, but I play CoD4 often (on 360) and there isnt that many kids, theres a few, but not that much more than when I used to play CS. Besides, its funny when you

Almost all console FPS titles, including but not limited to, Halo 3 and COD4

The moment you hop online with either, you are able to get kills. And that's fine for the casual gamer imo - I just prefer having to really work at a game to get good at it.

It took me literally months to get good at my favourite games: TF2, Counter Strike, Civ4 and Neverwinter Nights are probably the four games I've played most over my life. I just don't see that kind of scale with games on consoles anymore, and that's not specific to 360 - the same thing happens on PS3.

Firstly, I'd lump CS and CoD4 together, neither are that hard to pick up. Besides, they make games that cater to causal gamers - theres more of them and a casual gamer pays the same price for the game as a hardcore gamer

Firstly, I'd lump CS and CoD4 together, neither are that hard to pick up. Besides, they make games that cater to causal gamers - theres more of them and a casual gamer pays the same price for the game as a hardcore gamer

Yeah I know the logic behind it. The 360 is definitely geared towards casual gamers (and the Wii even more so).

CS has had it's difficulty reduced the last couple of years, but I remember playing 1.3 and bunny hopping all over the place - those were the days of true 1337ness.

It's just my personal preference is for games to be really hard, like Ninja Gaiden for example - what a breath of fresh air that game was.

What will be out?

Excuse me if I'm a little incredulous, but Sony have been making noises about fixing this glaring omission in it's product for a year now.

Sony Computer Entertainment UK boss Ray Maguire has confirmed extra in-game XMB functionality for the PlayStation 3 will arrive in a matter of months.

A forthcoming firmware update for the PS3 will introduce new features to the cross media bar, including in-game messaging.

"Achieving one million PS3 sales faster than both PSOne and PlayStation 2 is even more gratifying considering PS3 is a premium product introduced at a premium price", he told gaming site MCV.

"Our momentum will continue with the introduction of in-game communication in the summer, firmware update 2.4 and the strongest line-up of games through our third party partners and our own studios."

But..who really cares? You three arguing in this thread should take a look at yourselves. Your arguing about two ****ing awesome machines and trying to decide which one is better. Who cares? You all have fun with whichever you bought, and if you're lucky enough to have two then more power to you.
I bought a PS3 because I loved my PS2 and PS1, however if I had the money I'd definitely buy a xbox for games like mass effect and bioshock (loved system shock back in the day).
Also, whoever said that the new metal gear will be disappointing (same person seems to have a thing against Japanese games/people), yet obviously having not seen any of the media related to it, is full of crap. Each new MG game have been beautiful examples of video game art. Metal Gear Solid for PS is still the best game I've ever played.

If noobs can rack up kills on Consoles why were you so bad at Halo3 (Trueskill 8, K/D ratio under 1) Karl. I mean if its so easy, a god like player like yourself should be able to absolutely pwn in it.

As someone whos spent plenty of time using both techniques, my best attempt at explaining it is....

Aiming in a pc FPS using a mouse, is a point and click procedure. It makes aiming much easier than using a controller. But because everyone has the advantage of easy aiming, its easier to get kills, but its harder to survive.

Consoles are the opposite, aiming with the controller is less precise, and makes it harder to get kills and easier to survive, because everyone has the same disadvantage.

They're completely different skill sets. No doubt there are some super skilled PC gamers, but give them controllers and put them against super skilled console gamers and they'll get pwned. The opposite is also true.

Elitism has no place here. Neither takes more skill or has better players than the other, they just both use different kinds of skill. There are certainly some ridiculously skilled players on halo. Guys that could snipe you with a controller better than 90% of people could do with a mouse imo.

If noobs can rack up kills on Consoles why were you so bad at Halo3 (Trueskill 8, K/D ratio under 1) Karl. I mean if its so easy, a god like player like yourself should be able to absolutely pwn in it.

I probably put about 5 hours or less into Halo3 online, mainly because it is simply not a fun game. Also, the fact I'm used to playing FPS' and actually having some level over where I shoot wouldn't hurt.

As someone whos spent plenty of time using both techniques, my best attempt at explaining it is....

Aiming in a pc FPS using a mouse, is a point and click procedure. It makes aiming much easier than using a controller. But because everyone has the advantage of easy aiming, its easier to get kills, but its harder to survive.

Consoles are the opposite, aiming with the controller is less precise, and makes it harder to get kills and easier to survive, because everyone has the same disadvantage.

They're completely different skill sets. No doubt there are some super skilled PC gamers, but give them controllers and put them against super skilled console gamers and they'll get pwned. The opposite is also true.

Exactly, you have more control in PC games, and less control in console games. PC FPS shooting is more precise, because a mouse puts the cursor where you want it. With a console, you can't simply turn 180 degrees and pick out your target, it's much, much slower and you have less control over where your cursor goes.

Elitism has no place here. Neither takes more skill or has better players than the other, they just both use different kinds of skill.

I completely disagree - PC takes far more skill.

There are certainly some ridiculously skilled players on halo.

Yeah but they're only skilled at Halo so it isn't really an achievement anyway. It's like being the BEST toilet cleaner.

But..who really cares? You three arguing in this thread should take a look at yourselves. Your arguing about two f*cking awesome machines and trying to decide which one is better. Who cares? You all have fun with whichever you bought, and if you're lucky enough to have two then more power to you.
I bought a PS3 because I loved my PS2 and PS1, however if I had the money I'd definitely buy a xbox for games like mass effect and bioshock (loved system shock back in the day).
Also, whoever said that the new metal gear will be disappointing (same person seems to have a thing against Japanese games/people), yet obviously having not seen any of the media related to it, is full of crap. Each new MG game have been beautiful examples of video game art. Metal Gear Solid for PS is still the best game I've ever played.

Congrats to you sir. Yes I also believe my preference in video games makes me racist.

I probably put about 5 hours or less into Halo3 online, mainly because it is simply not a fun game. Also, the fact I'm used to playing FPS' and actually having some level over where I shoot wouldn't hurt.

I can just see you chucking a tanty at the TV, throwing the controller away in disgust as you get pwned once more. It brings me joy.

Exactly, you have more control in PC games, and less control in console games. PC FPS shooting is more precise, because a mouse puts the cursor where you want it. With a console, you can't simply turn 180 degrees and pick out your target, it's much, much slower and you have less control over where your cursor goes.

I completely disagree - PC takes far more skill.

Hmm, it's almost like with a controller you have to predict where your opponent will be in advance, or where the next attack might come from. KB/M is different, but certainly doesn't take more skill.

Yeah but they're only skilled at Halo so it isn't really an achievement anyway. It's like being the BEST toilet cleaner.

From the guy that spent months getting good at a game full of preteens and creeps living in mom's basement. What an achievement! Your ancestors must look down at you with great pride.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can just see you chucking a tanty at the TV, throwing the controller away in disgust as you get pwned once more. It brings me joy.

That's a nice piece of fiction there, it was actually more like this:

"hmmm, every game seems to be shotty/snipers, the mechanics on this game sucks, for some reason everyone floats around when they jump and everyone has a shitload of health - this game frigging sucks"

Hmm, it's almost like with a controller you have to predict where your opponent will be in advance, or where the next attack might come from. KB/M is different, but certainly doesn't take more skill.

Actually it takes much more skill - look at all the FPS world championship tournaments. Everyone uses keyboard mouse for a reason.

From the guy that spent months getting good at a game full of preteens and creeps living in mom's basement. What an achievement! Your ancestors must look down at you with great pride.

God forbid I like a game that actually takes some skill and dedication to get good at. Not all of us need to have our hand held to get good at a game.

Actually it takes much more skill - look at all the FPS world championship tournaments. Everyone uses keyboard mouse for a reason.

Because that's the format of the competition?

God forbid I like a game that actually takes some skill and dedication to get good at. Not all of us need to have our hand held to get good at a game.

I just thought it was hilarious saying being good at Halo 3 was no achievement, but obviously being good at CS goes on the top of your CV :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back