Your 1st North game??

Remove this Banner Ad

Lot of names moved on from BF over the years

😔
Yeh but wasn’t DR a social butterfly back then
Very chirpy

The last 11 years has had an effect

The first North Melbourne game I saw on Television was the 1976 Grand Final, but because I lived in an NRL household I didn't get to my first live game until 1987, and it was at the SCG against the Swanettes. I do believe it was Schimma's final game.

A few of us showing our age here. Mine was 1975. North vs Fitzroy Junction oval. Cant remember heaps about the game We won by 3 points. I can still picture Keith Greig running on the wing. That's about all I can remember . And of cause my dad called into Young and Jacksons after the game we would go and see but was never allowed to tell mum.

Round 1 - 1997. Still a child after seeing my beloved Fitzroy murdered by the AFL.
We played Melbourne and it was close from memory. I remember The Wiz Farmer took a speccy and the roar of the G was a far cry of the few thousand I was used as a kid out at Western Oval. A pleasure to be a North supporter now and I’m glad we didn’t go for Brisbane. If anything, I think having gone through that as a child it’s made me more passionate for this club.

From 1979/ 82 I was only allowed to attend games at Windy *ing Hill
All my cousins followed the peptides , and being the son of cautious / worried Greek parents, that was my only choice
I would always barrack for the visitors, and when North was playing there I was in heaven, the pilgrimage of my heroes

By 1982, at the age of 13, I told the folks they either take me to Arden St or I’m running away from home

They relented, first game at Arden st , all I remember was playing Carlton and 2 things

Blighty kicking a torpedo from half forward , from the boundary line , on the non preferred side...
And the wonderful view I had standing over his shoulder , elevated by the kind Aussie blokes who let me stand on their slab of beers.

And the final memory from that game was a guy behind me who had a great party trick
While gargling his beer he would shout
“Nobody can, like McCann, can”
It was beautiful. A work of art and very bloody funny

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1985 Round 3 NM v Carlton at Princess Park. I was young, can only remember minor details like, it was a shootout, Glendinning blitzed and the team mascots walked the boundary throwing packets of Stimerol chewing gum into the crowd...and importantly we won (just)!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Allright, hold your hats.

Mine would have been first home game 1964 as a 3 year old as we moved into the commission flats in Canning st, 500 metres from the ground. Can't remember too much, we were pretty crappy 😯
At that age sliding down the embankment behind the radio " box " on a cardboard box was the highlight

Remember going to home games at Coburg in '65 because Aunt Joan lived not far from Sydney rd.

First game I remember watching was the drawn GF on a black and white tele. We got a colour tele the friday before the replay, and I decided to go for the Blue and White ones. First game at Arden St was the game when there was that fire in whatever food van it was. Remember sitting on the old metal railings around the ground wondering why there was a fire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My first game that I attended was on Sat 20th June 1987. North Vs Coll at Waverley Park.
We got up to win 10.12.72 to 2.6.18 and it was bloody cold!! BT kicked their only 2 goals and Peter German was BOG.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anthony Stevens debut game.

Went from u19's - reserves - seniors in the same season. Rare feat back then. Shows how good he was.

R24 94 vs Collingwood.
Was 6 yrs old and went with mostly Pies supporting Uncles an cousins.
Older Roos supporting cousin gave me his scarf. Big win and I was in love with North from then on.
I chose them as my team the year before to be different from the rest of the family (split 50/50 between Ess & Coll). This was the game that really got me.

Allright, hold your hats.

Mine would have been first home game 1964 as a 3 year old as we moved into the commission flats in Canning st, 500 metres from the ground. Can't remember too much, we were pretty crappy 😯
At that age sliding down the embankment behind the radio " box " on a cardboard box was the highlight

Remember going to home games at Coburg in '65 because Aunt Joan lived not far from Sydney rd.

That’s positively post-modern. Horace took me to my first game when I was two in 1954 versus Footscray at Arden st and it was a draw! Horrie said he’d never take me again as all I did was scramble round looking for bottle tops and he would have preferred to have gone to Brunswick st anyway. Good times

I reckon I was at that game. Got lost. Had to walk around the ground with a copper. My dad didn’t take me again for ages.

1961 Round 3--Collingwood v North Melbourne at Victoria Park. North lost that day and won the wooden spoon that year with just 4 wins and a draw. After that we went most often to Arden St. and watched North lose many more games and occasionally have a good win--any win was a good win. Our best players then were Aylett, Teasdale, Dugdale, Steward and Dwyer.

Things got a whole lot better in the 70s.

First year of Eagles at Subi. Very few North supporters there. Was in North jumper. Eagles fans were less than gracious in victory. Some things never change...
Scotty I’ve been over this thread from the start so you probably don’t remember your input from 15 years ago but it’s a good one. See post 8

A few of us showing our age here. Mine was 1975. North vs Fitzroy Junction oval. Cant remember heaps about the game We won by 3 points. I can still picture Keith Greig running on the wing. That's about all I can remember . And of cause my dad called into Young and Jacksons after the game we would go and see but was never allowed to tell mum.
You beat me by a couple of months. My first was the '75 GF :moustache: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back