Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I can’t get a gauge on who John Mayer’s fan base is?

He was pretty popular when I was a kid, but I couldn’t imagine anyone under 20 being a serious fan. His music isn’t super poppy but he’s got some reasonably big pop hits. Plays a pretty watered down version of traditional blues.

I don’t mind a lot of his stuff, it’s a little bland though.

Last edited:

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can’t get a gauge on who John Mayer’s fan base is?

He was pretty popular when I was a kid, but I couldn’t imagine anyone under 20 being a serious fan. His music isn’t super poppy but he’s got some reasonable big pop hits. Plays a pretty watered down version of traditional blues.

I don’t mind a lot of his stuff, it’s a little bland though.
His singing style always reminds me of someone trying to whisper the footy score to a mate in the middle of a wedding or something

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam both actually aged really well.

Definitely transformed into more radio-friendly rock bands, but they still sounded slick and the song quality didn’t dip too much. The Californication-Stadium Arcadium era produced a lot of great songs.

I don’t think RHCP are much of an album band in general, they’d have 25-30 great songs though.

Pearl Jam’s late 90’s stint was more understated but cool.

No Code and Vitology stand up really well, and some of their very best stuff comes from that general era. Went softer, but they always had a penchant for slow ballady tunes from the beginning. Ten had Black and Release, which are Top 10 PJ tracks.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
His singing style always reminds me of someone trying to whisper the footy score to a mate in the middle of a wedding or something

That is my take - no doubt he is a great guitarist. But even that get washed out in his songs.

Watch his jam with BB King - yes he can hold his own. But his own songs are vanilla emptiness.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I was a pretty big fan of John Mayer circa his first two albums, especially the second one Heavier Things which had a cohesive, calming sound and at 14 was one of the earlier studio albums I actually appreciated as a front-to-back experience (I primarily listened to comps then), there wasn't a track on the thing I skipped, but a few years later when 17 Waiting on the World to Change was a turnoff for me and I never really looked back.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam both actually aged really well.

Definitely transformed into more radio-friendly rock bands, but they still sounded slick and the song quality didn’t dip too much. The Californication-Stadium Arcadium era produced a lot of great songs.

I don’t think RHCP are much of an album band in general, they’d have 25-30 great songs though.

Pearl Jam’s late 90’s stint was more understated but cool.

No Code and Vitology stand up really well, and some of their very best stuff comes from that general era. Went softer, but they always had a penchant for slow ballady tunes from the beginning. Ten had Black and Release, which are Top 10 PJ tracks.

Pearl Jam have.

RHCP are one of those bands that too many of their songs are similar. That dates them big time for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rank and file

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2013
michael mitchell country
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
bell park
Batman gets it
18a08dcb90c0d426e0db5706190c64001570651c39099939633f4e965fdb699a.jpg

I was watching a movie the other day and one of the characters called Led Zepplin "my I don't get it band". So who would be your "I don't get it" band. This is not from a genre you don't like. It's a band from a genre you usually do like but just don't get the appeal of this particular band. Mine would be Pink Floyd. I love rock music but have just never got the appeal of Pink Floyd.

I was listening to a Floyd album the other day and thinking to myself, with the clarity of sudden realisation, that it was turgid sludge. So I thought I'd start a thread on 'bands you've fallen out of love with'. Only to see that my thunder has been partly stolen.

I once 'got' PF, but now I wonder how that occurred. It was no accident that the Sex Pistols created 'I hate Pink Floyd' T-shirts, recognising that PF, more than the other horrid prog-rock bands of the time, embodied the flab that inspired the energy of rock and roll in the first place.

Back to the theme of the thread, one artist I never got in the first place is Van Morrison. This guy- WTF?

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I was listening to a Floyd album the other day and thinking to myself, with the clarity of sudden realisation, that it was turgid sludge. So I thought I'd start a thread on 'bands you've fallen out of love with'. Only to see that my thunder has been partly stolen.

I once 'got' PF, but now I wonder how that occurred. It was no accident that the Sex Pistols created 'I hate Pink Floyd' T-shirts, recognising that PF, more than the other horrid prog-rock bands of the time, embodied the flab that inspired the energy of rock and roll in the first place.

Back to the theme of the thread, one artist I never got in the first place is Van Morrison. This guy- WTF?

Wasn't sure whether to give you a like or a dislike so gave you a wow. I like the Pink Floyd part but dislike the Van Morrison part. I love Van the Man.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
My "fallen out of love " band would be Oasis. Loved them back in the day. These days I rarely listen to them. I still think they are great musicians. But their music doesn't do much for me these days.

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
Every album after Justice is dead to me.... I played that album to death when it was released, I was horrified when I first heard The Black album... Goodbye teenage angst ! , Hello commercial sh*te !
I actually like St. Anger! *Ducks head for incoming missiles*

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I definitely understand why people don't really like John Mayer but he is an incredible guitar player. His 'Live in LA' concert is great, particularly the John Mayer Trio set which doesn't really have any of his more 'poppy' tracks but is more blues oriented. I do wish he had stuck down that path a bit more

This.

I think the closest I have to a song of his that I like is Waiting on the World To Change - I don’t think he writes good melody, his songs aren’t catchy. But his guitar work is fantastic and every time I hear him I just think ‘man you’re a wasted talent.’

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The Beatles
David Bowie
RHC
Michael Jackson
KISS
More than likely a few unpopular opinions there but the more I hear, the less I like.

Um, wow.

I don’t get Michael Jackson and Kiss I love but can see why some people don’t get them. But Bowie and the Beatles?

Even without the gimmickry and concept albums like Ziggy stardust, if you just listen to his songs in isolation they are works of art IMO - his knack for a melody line that sounded perfect but the chords didn’t even necessarily mesh in a ‘make sense’ kind of way - Life on Mars is a good example - was just amazing and when you couple that with his delivery and his Uber cool stage presence…. Boy oh boy what an artist.

Anyway it’s opinion I guess so can’t tell you you’re wrong but geez that surprises me

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably get shot down, but,
Joni Mitchell.
I get that she’s a great songwriter, but I just can’t get around her voice/vocal delivery. God knows I’ve tried…

It’s not for everyone.

Would stil rather listen to her sing big yellow taxi than the utter abortion of a version counting crows did

It’s not for everyone.

Would stil rather listen to her sing big yellow taxi than the utter abortion of a version counting crows did
Yeah, I actually like her vocals in Big Yellow Taxi and always liked the song she did on The Last Waltz. Coyote?
Just can’t sit through an album.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back