Your own personal Essendon history...

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Its been a tough year, lets be honest. Actually its been a tough few years- but we are all still here, riding the punches, ploughing the depths of pain, why? What is it about a football club that forces you to hang around through everything?

If a Partner did this to you, you'd kick to the curb, if a job did this to you, your have quit ages ago... but supporting a football club, a bunch of blokes wearing the same jumper throughout time has somehow imprinted on your DNA, has somehow made you resilitant to the downs, has made it so must stay on board no matter what happens.

Obviously the built up memories of times past are a factor, alot of the marker points we leave behind, the cookie crumbs like hansel and gretel that trigger memories from your youth and childhood are related to the club and how they have made you feel.

So what is your personal Essendon history? what has transpired in your football watching life that has brought you to this point, still able to wave the flag or wear the jumper and support the team through all this rubbish now?

In a year so tough it would be good to hear some of the tales when times were better, that made you proud of the club, that made you feel happy, triumphant, proud, arrogant - or whatever the footyclub has made you feel over the years. We all have trodden differnt paths to be where we are today but ill bet each of us in here have a collection of identical memories at exactly the same points in time that the club have given to us.

My Bomber history started early, was born in 1978 so i guess in that respect i was lucky that i was born after the worst of the down periods and probably at the begininng of a golden era to be a bomber fan.

I cant actually rememeber my first real memory of footy, my earliest photos are of me in a bomber beanie so i guess i had no choice either way. My kinder and school was in the Essendon zone so i reckon a good 50% or more of the classes were all red and black so we were quite the army back then, but i had a nemesis, the boy 3 doors down was died in the wool Hawthorn - it was just perfect that as i was getting old enoigh to get into the footy we began waging war with the hawks in three stright grand finals.

He gloated, hard after 83 but i only have vauge memories of it - 84 i mostly recall for ruining dads taping of the game by running through the brand new video recorders remote chord as he was deleting an ad. But 85 i rememebr fully, the balloons being let off into the air pre game, the fight, dermie kneeing the pack, doing the poncy walk.. daisy williams giving the bird, every glorious goal. That was the moment, all at once i fell in love with Essendon, in hate with dermie and the hawks, and had a punch on with the boy 3 doors down because he threw my bike in his skip after i teased him about the result..

i still hadnt been to a game live, we used to go to training with my junior footy club to see the bulldogs once every few months, my dad had an xy panel van, half the team of u8s would pile into the back... those were the days of no seatbelts. i have a strong memory of Peter Foster giving us a pep talk but i didnt want to hear about it because he wasnt Essendon - on the way back to the club in the back of the panel van that night the state of origin was playing in the radio and we were all excited.

My first live game was a night match against fitzroy on a friday night, i wish i could recall the score or the year, but i mainly remember the first time i saw the bright green grass under lights as i walked up the stairs, it mesmorized me, i kept looking up at the lights and turning away blinking.. just so i could get the imprint of the iconic triangle MCG lights in my eye lids as i blinked.

We won but in the end i was more content wearing my waterproof Bomber club gloves and trying to clap while they were linked by their joining clips.

The next game i can rememeber going to was the 1989 final when we trounced Geelong, we were sat on the old wooden bench seats next to the cheer squad, i kept inching closer and closer them until they gave me a flag - i felt like i was more a part of the army, being in with the cheer squad! I figured we were just going to roll on and win another flag, id already experienced 2 so i thought you just got to do them all the time - so the following week crushed me when Geelong beat us equally as bad as we beat them.

1990 I was right into it, every game on the radio - we were a great team but so were Collingwood, so good were we both that our home and away game, hyped to the max was shown life on TV, unheard of at the time. We won by a kick, i think bomber Thompson somthered a goal bound kick from the goal square with seconds to go to seal the win - but it just whet the appetite for the finalks and when we would meet again.

We finished a game clear ontop and earnt the week off but Collingwood threw a spanner in our works, drawing with WCE forcing a replay the week later and giving us 2 weeks off on the trot. not ideal coming into your first final after not playing for nearly 3 weeks! collingwood smashed us but we inturn smashed WCE to ensue the mathcup the footy world wanted.

I made a bet with the truck driver 2 doors down that he we lost to his mob id wash his truck. I was still young and niave - betting was still fun...

As tim watson walked down the race before the GF that day, i saw a look in his eye.. it was a look of reservation, like they knew what was coming, i didnt see that killer instinct. and so it happened, the Collywobbles were banished, at our expense.. it hurt, a lot! so did washing the truck.

I went to my first and last game at windy hill next up, it was the game when the siren went and we all ran onto the ground but Nobby Clarke still had the chance to win it with a late kick, was chaos! I cant actually remember what year it was? but in 1992 mum said i was old enough to start getting the train to the city with my mates to go to the footy, we would get the vline early on saturday morning, kick in the car park for hours, watch the reserves, watch the game, kick in the car park afterwards... go to spencer st station - it would be a sea of footy jumpers for all other teams - stories be flowing for who kicking bags, who took hangers, who won, who lost from all the satuday games. I could never be bothered finding out who a v b, and c v d were on the score baord so id wait for the forum at spencer street to get my news.

The main games i rememebr this year were a game vs Melbourne when somerville kicked a bag from full forward, i talked him up on the train but this old drunk bastard said, dont get your hopes up kiddo, he will just frustrate you.. wise old drunkard he was. Hawthron destroyed us by three figures, but i did what i always did, got home to watch the replay that had been taped.

Then 1993 came along, i got my first membership, the old plastic ones that the gate worker clicked a notch out of each game, it ended up like a serrated knive blade if you went every week.., what a year to really get immersed in the game!

i went every week with the same crew, it was the brother of my next door neightbour, his blue laser hatchback, his father in law and his two jailbird mates from Adelaide who looking back now id say they were on the run from something..they both had jailbird tear drop tatts on their face and were skittish at the sound of sirens.. buut i was only 15, to me they were just funny guys shouting out stuff at the footy.

so many highlights that year - the kernahan out on the full draw, the ablett salmon show, the jacket wave, hird coming of age vs hawthorn, i was revelling in it, mum had lost her son. He was now in with the footy crowd - id get out of bed, hi mum, bye mum, going to the footy - walk back in that night, hi mum, by mum going to bed.

the finals came, the first ever night final v carlton - essendon gave out a whole lot of speed kills signs and gloves, saying go bombers - i still have some, couldnt get over the line but we dominated wce the next week them the famous game vs adelaide. sitting in the sunshine under the ponsford at halftime, nobody was really glum, was a weird feeling, then that third quarter - one of thise 30 minute spells that makes all the stuff we deal with now worth while.. it was awesome, the crowd was rocking - loudest i can ever recall when Mercuri kicked that goal!

Didnt really have time to celebrate, straight home, change of clothes then onto windy hill to line up for GF tickets... mum inexplicably let me sleep over on the steet for 2 nights - i look back now and think wow!

those 2 or 3 nights/days are forver imprinted in my brain, i really hope one of you recognises these memories and says hey man that was me you were with! because we were all just a bunch of strangers camped up against the wall, under tarps, but we were like family in the end. with nothing esle to do but explore, thats what we did. Windy hill was our maze and we were the rats, running in and out of every corridor, every path we could find in the dark - it was deep midnight and we were somehow finding our was into old dust covered bars under the stands, old changing rooms with historic names on the lockers like coleman and reynolds.. rubdown tables, boards with chrighton medals and stuff on them, rooms where the cheersquad has the floggers, It was like we were exploring ancient egypt! sneaking around trying not to get busted.

We found a room with a big switchboard in it and flicked the switch, it started whirring and shaking, and we feel a glow, turn around to see we had just turned the windy hill lights on!, as they were warming up we quickly went out and had a kick to kick on the ground but we got scared - what if the papers caught wind of this , extra extra!, sheedy calls midnight training session! they went back off after 5-10 mins and we kept exploring, found our ay into the old score board and put out the letters for Carlton Sux.. pity it didnjt make it til training, some old crony must have found out and taken it down.

We got our tickets on the morning and felt listless after that.. what do we do now? cant just leave all our new mates can we? There was a sign saying the social club would be open for the brownlow count that night. collar a must! I had to put my Ess jumper on under another jumper but the coller coming out over the top was sufficent, we were in!

Ofcourse Wanganeen or as Ross Oakley said Gavin Wauguaneen won! free drinks were put on the bar, how cool! then he came back to the club with Steph to sign autographs, couldnt believe it really, of all the things youd want to do after winning the brownlow, he was back at the social club signing mugs like my jumper.

So the GF came and went, to be honest i loved it but it wasnt as strong as the memories of the week proir? weird i know, but going back to windy hill again that night, felt like i was going home again - just crowds full of people, running amock, burning carlton scarves, kernahan cut outs. This was fun times, then again the next day everyone there as the players and cup came back home.

I really hope the next time we win the flag windy hill is still the go to and not TVSC. That place holds so many memories for me njow, even if most of them are not even of games....

So the 90s rolled by and it seemed like we wasted our golden generation, I dont think i missed a home game for the decade but the hurts stand out more than the highs, most of all the loss to richmond in the final when we lead at half time, and the two one pointers in 96, vs Brisband when wanganeen had the shot across his body from the goal square with 13 seconds left, then the heartbreaker toi Sydney. i know its a national game now but trust us to play all three in one finals series! the sydney loss was the first loss to induce tears from my eyes... id take a smashing over that, especially as we skipped away to a lead late on.

Again the buiding phase up until 99, that year reaqlly snuck up on us. After the marshmellow final it seemed we were in a slow build but before we knew it we were ontop oif the ladder and raging premiership favorites - cue the second ever tear inducing game 99 prelim, does not need to be revisited.

2000 was a bit of a pisstake to be fair, we were just so arrogant, the team, the players and us the fans, you just knew each week we would win, not matter what, we were so good we created new things like the flood. i was writing checks i couldnt cash - sure i knew that year we would win, but i was burning every bridge with the people i knew who supported other teams- its now that im being repayed for that, they are now reveling in what i am going through - maybe i should have been more humble back then.. but, nah- stuff it, we were that good!

Being at that GF, i thoight to myself im going to celebrate this so hard! i couldnt get shitfaced in 93, i was tool young, but this time i will - and i regret that, i cant rememebr much of the post mnatch now.

After the 2000 win and the following year the travel bug hit and i lost nealry all connection with the club and its happenings. all i had was random bits and pieces from across the globe. Id park myself in some weird places on dialup, after not having been in proper civilisation for weeks - other people would be emailing home, or talking to family.. id be scouring essendon news from places like Manali in India, or La Paz in Bolivia - wasting my precious dialup connection and $5 for 20 mins or something on it waiting for news and picutres to load of how bad we were going... It was easy to get disconnected it must be said, and not just cause of the dialup, but from the plight of the club.

We returned home the the Hird Era, which was building into something - and now, where we find ourselves....

So if i really look at it, the club has given me some great highs, 84/85, 93, 2000, and some low lows, losing heart breaking finals by points.. and the lowest of lows.. now.

But it also helped me to grow up, those times in the early 90s, cutting my teeth going to the footy alone on the trains, meeting new people, sleeping over at the club, all positive memories.

What i really need now, or before i die, is one last flag (at least) i reckon ill really know how to celebrate it properly now, and cruiclay ive had enough low lows to compare it up against. after this past few years, a flag is needed!

Ive already lost one kid to geelong, she wants to follow the cats... ive only got one left,, the boy.. the boy must see success soon or ill lose him too.

So anyhow, what is your EFC history?, i dont expect you to go into so much detail, i got a bit carried away there! but what sticks out for you? particular memories of games, eras, moments.. things that co-incided with moments in your real life like weddings, births or deaths that maybe the footy helped or has a connection with now to you. First games? games that upset you?

What has happened throughout your footy life that has allowed you to keep supporting through all this?

The short version is I'm too stubborn to change. Other clubs have been through worse - at least I have seen 4 flags. My earliest memories are of Tim Watson, Leon Baker and Billy Duckworth. I remember hearing about Billy getting suspended for being in a fight - and I thought that was pretty cool. I always had #32 on my jumper.

Its been a tough year, lets be honest. Actually its been a tough few years- but we are all still here, riding the punches, ploughing the depths of pain, why? What is it about a football club that forces you to hang around through everything?

If a Partner did this to you, you'd kick to the curb, if a job did this to you, your have quit ages ago... but supporting a football club, a bunch of blokes wearing the same jumper throughout time has somehow imprinted on your DNA, has somehow made you resilitant to the downs, has made it so must stay on board no matter what happens.

Obviously the built up memories of times past are a factor, alot of the marker points we leave behind, the cookie crumbs like hansel and gretel that trigger memories from your youth and childhood are related to the club and how they have made you feel.

So what is your personal Essendon history? what has transpired in your football watching life that has brought you to this point, still able to wave the flag or wear the jumper and support the team through all this rubbish now?

In a year so tough it would be good to hear some of the tales when times were better, that made you proud of the club, that made you feel happy, triumphant, proud, arrogant - or whatever the footyclub has made you feel over the years. We all have trodden differnt paths to be where we are today but ill bet each of us in here have a collection of identical memories at exactly the same points in time that the club have given to us.

My Bomber history started early, was born in 1978 so i guess in that respect i was lucky that i was born after the worst of the down periods and probably at the begininng of a golden era to be a bomber fan.

I cant actually rememeber my first real memory of footy, my earliest photos are of me in a bomber beanie so i guess i had no choice either way. My kinder and school was in the Essendon zone so i reckon a good 50% or more of the classes were all red and black so we were quite the army back then, but i had a nemesis, the boy 3 doors down was died in the wool Hawthorn - it was just perfect that as i was getting old enoigh to get into the footy we began waging war with the hawks in three stright grand finals.

He gloated, hard after 83 but i only have vauge memories of it - 84 i mostly recall for ruining dads taping of the game by running through the brand new video recorders remote chord as he was deleting an ad. But 85 i rememebr fully, the balloons being let off into the air pre game, the fight, dermie kneeing the pack, doing the poncy walk.. daisy williams giving the bird, every glorious goal. That was the moment, all at once i fell in love with Essendon, in hate with dermie and the hawks, and had a punch on with the boy 3 doors down because he threw my bike in his skip after i teased him about the result..

i still hadnt been to a game live, we used to go to training with my junior footy club to see the bulldogs once every few months, my dad had an xy panel van, half the team of u8s would pile into the back... those were the days of no seatbelts. i have a strong memory of Peter Foster giving us a pep talk but i didnt want to hear about it because he wasnt Essendon - on the way back to the club in the back of the panel van that night the state of origin was playing in the radio and we were all excited.

My first live game was a night match against fitzroy on a friday night, i wish i could recall the score or the year, but i mainly remember the first time i saw the bright green grass under lights as i walked up the stairs, it mesmorized me, i kept looking up at the lights and turning away blinking.. just so i could get the imprint of the iconic triangle MCG lights in my eye lids as i blinked.

We won but in the end i was more content wearing my waterproof Bomber club gloves and trying to clap while they were linked by their joining clips.

The next game i can rememeber going to was the 1989 final when we trounced Geelong, we were sat on the old wooden bench seats next to the cheer squad, i kept inching closer and closer them until they gave me a flag - i felt like i was more a part of the army, being in with the cheer squad! I figured we were just going to roll on and win another flag, id already experienced 2 so i thought you just got to do them all the time - so the following week crushed me when Geelong beat us equally as bad as we beat them.

1990 I was right into it, every game on the radio - we were a great team but so were Collingwood, so good were we both that our home and away game, hyped to the max was shown life on TV, unheard of at the time. We won by a kick, i think bomber Thompson somthered a goal bound kick from the goal square with seconds to go to seal the win - but it just whet the appetite for the finalks and when we would meet again.

We finished a game clear ontop and earnt the week off but Collingwood threw a spanner in our works, drawing with WCE forcing a replay the week later and giving us 2 weeks off on the trot. not ideal coming into your first final after not playing for nearly 3 weeks! collingwood smashed us but we inturn smashed WCE to ensue the mathcup the footy world wanted.

I made a bet with the truck driver 2 doors down that he we lost to his mob id wash his truck. I was still young and niave - betting was still fun...

As tim watson walked down the race before the GF that day, i saw a look in his eye.. it was a look of reservation, like they knew what was coming, i didnt see that killer instinct. and so it happened, the Collywobbles were banished, at our expense.. it hurt, a lot! so did washing the truck.

I went to my first and last game at windy hill next up, it was the game when the siren went and we all ran onto the ground but Nobby Clarke still had the chance to win it with a late kick, was chaos! I cant actually remember what year it was? but in 1992 mum said i was old enough to start getting the train to the city with my mates to go to the footy, we would get the vline early on saturday morning, kick in the car park for hours, watch the reserves, watch the game, kick in the car park afterwards... go to spencer st station - it would be a sea of footy jumpers for all other teams - stories be flowing for who kicking bags, who took hangers, who won, who lost from all the satuday games. I could never be bothered finding out who a v b, and c v d were on the score baord so id wait for the forum at spencer street to get my news.

The main games i rememebr this year were a game vs Melbourne when somerville kicked a bag from full forward, i talked him up on the train but this old drunk bastard said, dont get your hopes up kiddo, he will just frustrate you.. wise old drunkard he was. Hawthron destroyed us by three figures, but i did what i always did, got home to watch the replay that had been taped.

Then 1993 came along, i got my first membership, the old plastic ones that the gate worker clicked a notch out of each game, it ended up like a serrated knive blade if you went every week.., what a year to really get immersed in the game!

i went every week with the same crew, it was the brother of my next door neightbour, his blue laser hatchback, his father in law and his two jailbird mates from Adelaide who looking back now id say they were on the run from something..they both had jailbird tear drop tatts on their face and were skittish at the sound of sirens.. buut i was only 15, to me they were just funny guys shouting out stuff at the footy.

so many highlights that year - the kernahan out on the full draw, the ablett salmon show, the jacket wave, hird coming of age vs hawthorn, i was revelling in it, mum had lost her son. He was now in with the footy crowd - id get out of bed, hi mum, bye mum, going to the footy - walk back in that night, hi mum, by mum going to bed.

the finals came, the first ever night final v carlton - essendon gave out a whole lot of speed kills signs and gloves, saying go bombers - i still have some, couldnt get over the line but we dominated wce the next week them the famous game vs adelaide. sitting in the sunshine under the ponsford at halftime, nobody was really glum, was a weird feeling, then that third quarter - one of thise 30 minute spells that makes all the stuff we deal with now worth while.. it was awesome, the crowd was rocking - loudest i can ever recall when Mercuri kicked that goal!

Didnt really have time to celebrate, straight home, change of clothes then onto windy hill to line up for GF tickets... mum inexplicably let me sleep over on the steet for 2 nights - i look back now and think wow!

those 2 or 3 nights/days are forver imprinted in my brain, i really hope one of you recognises these memories and says hey man that was me you were with! because we were all just a bunch of strangers camped up against the wall, under tarps, but we were like family in the end. with nothing esle to do but explore, thats what we did. Windy hill was our maze and we were the rats, running in and out of every corridor, every path we could find in the dark - it was deep midnight and we were somehow finding our was into old dust covered bars under the stands, old changing rooms with historic names on the lockers like coleman and reynolds.. rubdown tables, boards with chrighton medals and stuff on them, rooms where the cheersquad has the floggers, It was like we were exploring ancient egypt! sneaking around trying not to get busted.

We found a room with a big switchboard in it and flicked the switch, it started whirring and shaking, and we feel a glow, turn around to see we had just turned the windy hill lights on!, as they were warming up we quickly went out and had a kick to kick on the ground but we got scared - what if the papers caught wind of this , extra extra!, sheedy calls midnight training session! they went back off after 5-10 mins and we kept exploring, found our ay into the old score board and put out the letters for Carlton Sux.. pity it didnjt make it til training, some old crony must have found out and taken it down.

We got our tickets on the morning and felt listless after that.. what do we do now? cant just leave all our new mates can we? There was a sign saying the social club would be open for the brownlow count that night. collar a must! I had to put my Ess jumper on under another jumper but the coller coming out over the top was sufficent, we were in!

Ofcourse Wanganeen or as Ross Oakley said Gavin Wauguaneen won! free drinks were put on the bar, how cool! then he came back to the club with Steph to sign autographs, couldnt believe it really, of all the things youd want to do after winning the brownlow, he was back at the social club signing mugs like my jumper.

So the GF came and went, to be honest i loved it but it wasnt as strong as the memories of the week proir? weird i know, but going back to windy hill again that night, felt like i was going home again - just crowds full of people, running amock, burning carlton scarves, kernahan cut outs. This was fun times, then again the next day everyone there as the players and cup came back home.

I really hope the next time we win the flag windy hill is still the go to and not TVSC. That place holds so many memories for me njow, even if most of them are not even of games....

So the 90s rolled by and it seemed like we wasted our golden generation, I dont think i missed a home game for the decade but the hurts stand out more than the highs, most of all the loss to richmond in the final when we lead at half time, and the two one pointers in 96, vs Brisband when wanganeen had the shot across his body from the goal square with 13 seconds left, then the heartbreaker toi Sydney. i know its a national game now but trust us to play all three in one finals series! the sydney loss was the first loss to induce tears from my eyes... id take a smashing over that, especially as we skipped away to a lead late on.

Again the buiding phase up until 99, that year reaqlly snuck up on us. After the marshmellow final it seemed we were in a slow build but before we knew it we were ontop oif the ladder and raging premiership favorites - cue the second ever tear inducing game 99 prelim, does not need to be revisited.

2000 was a bit of a pisstake to be fair, we were just so arrogant, the team, the players and us the fans, you just knew each week we would win, not matter what, we were so good we created new things like the flood. i was writing checks i couldnt cash - sure i knew that year we would win, but i was burning every bridge with the people i knew who supported other teams- its now that im being repayed for that, they are now reveling in what i am going through - maybe i should have been more humble back then.. but, nah- stuff it, we were that good!

Being at that GF, i thoight to myself im going to celebrate this so hard! i couldnt get shitfaced in 93, i was tool young, but this time i will - and i regret that, i cant rememebr much of the post mnatch now.

After the 2000 win and the following year the travel bug hit and i lost nealry all connection with the club and its happenings. all i had was random bits and pieces from across the globe. Id park myself in some weird places on dialup, after not having been in proper civilisation for weeks - other people would be emailing home, or talking to family.. id be scouring essendon news from places like Manali in India, or La Paz in Bolivia - wasting my precious dialup connection and $5 for 20 mins or something on it waiting for news and picutres to load of how bad we were going... It was easy to get disconnected it must be said, and not just cause of the dialup, but from the plight of the club.

We returned home the the Hird Era, which was building into something - and now, where we find ourselves....

So if i really look at it, the club has given me some great highs, 84/85, 93, 2000, and some low lows, losing heart breaking finals by points.. and the lowest of lows.. now.

But it also helped me to grow up, those times in the early 90s, cutting my teeth going to the footy alone on the trains, meeting new people, sleeping over at the club, all positive memories.

What i really need now, or before i die, is one last flag (at least) i reckon ill really know how to celebrate it properly now, and cruiclay ive had enough low lows to compare it up against. after this past few years, a flag is needed!

Ive already lost one kid to geelong, she wants to follow the cats... ive only got one left,, the boy.. the boy must see success soon or ill lose him too.

So anyhow, what is your EFC history?, i dont expect you to go into so much detail, i got a bit carried away there! but what sticks out for you? particular memories of games, eras, moments.. things that co-incided with moments in your real life like weddings, births or deaths that maybe the footy helped or has a connection with now to you. First games? games that upset you?

What has happened throughout your footy life that has allowed you to keep supporting through all this?

This was a great read and got my mind off other things for a few minutes.

My history is very similar to yours in some ways as I was born in 1977, although I'm from Tas.

Everyone at school was either barracking for Essendon or Hawthorn, probably because of their success at the time. I also loved the colours and still do.

Whatever it was, I've never cared about a sporting team the same way I do about Essendon.

My crying after losses started very early on, although I've stopped doing it now obviously. I remember being hysterical as a kid watching us lose to Hawthorn, maybe in 83 although I was shouting "where's salmon?" so it might have been a game in the mid 80s. (he must have been injured).

I too cried after that bad game the year before 2000 but haven't cried about football since. Weirdly enough my favourite wins were in 2013 under James. Especially the comeback wins in Perth.

My first game live was also a game against Fitzroy but it was in Tassie.

First game in Melbourne was a win by less than a goal against Carlton at the MCG. I must have been about 15.

I've lived in Melbourne now since 2009 and go to most games.

I will always love this club, through thick and thin.

We have been spoilt by success but also tortured. Having said that I feel that if I get to see a flag again I will have "earnt it" more as a supporter. I hadn't really been through a long period without success before now and probably took success a bit for granted growing up being an Essendon Supporter.

I am still excited by our future and looking really forward to seeing what happens next year and seeing the club get its mojo back.

My fathers family were Carlton. Dad lived fairly close to Windy Hill and found himself going there to watch John Coleman. That was it...he was a Bomber after that. My mums family were all Collingwood. They worked out that the kids would be Catholic...her religion but we would be Bombers...his religion.

Grew up in Sydney, well Blue Mountains actually, so was primarily a Rugby League fan. I followed the North Sydney Bears who were red and black. I first started taking an interest in the VFL in 1984. I chose Essendon because thry were also red and black. I was on a youth camp for the Grand Final. There were about twenty of us watching the Grand Final and I was about the only one barracking for Essendon. I was copping s**t for most of the match but the ending was glorious. Going back to back the next year sealed my fate as an Essendon supporter.

After uni I moved to Melbourne in 1993 and lived there, and South Gippsland, until the end of 2011, apart from a few years living overseas. I went to the footy most weekends and attended the 2000 and 2001 Grand Finals. Have lived in Central Queensland since 2012 but still get to several games a year. Have been to the Gold Coast, Collingwood and Melbourne games this year

Was first fully engaged in a season of footy when we won 15 in a row in '81 (Sheed's first season). Rode that wave of awesomeness but then 3 awful things happened in succession. Neale Daniher went down in Rd 21 just as he was proving to be a match-winner. I went to my first ever game in Rd 22 at Waverley in miserable rain where Geelong gave us our first loss in 16 weeks and we missed a top 3 spot. I cried all the way home in the back of the car. Then we lost the EF the following week. I was obviously obsessed by this point.

Simon Madden was my favourite and when he took this mark he became immortalised in my young mind;

Then 84 & 85 made it all worthwhile. When this happens at age 11/12 the feeling is indelible and the joy I garnered from those years will transcend any of the crappy stuff caused by individuals, some of whom were at the club for a NTTAWWTteenth of our history.

I dont know a single family member or friend that liked essendon, but originally
I liked their colours
My favourite player at the time and I share a name
We were pretty good the first year I started watching (2000)
Drifted away a bit and got heavily back into football in 2013..
What a year to get back into footy!
Hardly missed seeing a game since then in some way shape and form and dont intend on it on the future. No matter how frustrated I get at the game for whatever reason I cant keep away anymore.
I see alot of greatness on our list and cant wait for us to be that great team we all dream of being.

The short version is I'm too stubborn to change. Other clubs have been through worse - at least I have seen 4 flags. My earliest memories are of Tim Watson, Leon Baker and Billy Duckworth. I remember hearing about Billy getting suspended for being in a fight - and I thought that was pretty cool. I always had #32 on my jumper.

id never suggest a change of team! but it could be excused if people walked away from the game for a little while... i always had the 27 on my back, not the coolest player but as a kid i dont think yoiu notice those things

This was a great read and got my mind off other things for a few minutes.

My history is very similar to yours in some ways as I was born in 1977, although I'm from Tas.

Everyone at school was either barracking for Essendon or Hawthorn, probably because of their success at the time. I also loved the colours and still do.

Whatever it was, I've never cared about a sporting team the same way I do about Essendon.

My crying after losses started very early on, although I've stopped doing it now obviously. I remember being hysterical as a kid watching us lose to Hawthorn, maybe in 83 although I was shouting "where's salmon?" so it might have been a game in the mid 80s. (he must have been injured).

I too cried after that bad game the year before 2000 but haven't cried about football since. Weirdly enough my favourite wins were in 2013 under James. Especially the comeback wins in Perth.

My first game live was also a game against Fitzroy but it was in Tassie.

First game in Melbourne was a win by less than a goal against Carlton at the MCG. I must have been about 15.

I've lived in Melbourne now since 2009 and go to most games.

I will always love this club, through thick and thin.

We have been spoilt by success but also tortured. Having said that I feel that if I get to see a flag again I will have "earnt it" more as a supporter. I hadn't really been through a long period without success before now and probably took success a bit for granted growing up being an Essendon Supporter.

I am still excited by our future and looking really forward to seeing what happens next year and seeing the club get its mojo back.

i wonder if that was the game in tassie that doc Weildon busted his leg in maybe his first game for us? did i make that up or did it happen?

I hear that sentiment re: earning it! i mean i never earnt 84/85 - it was thrust upon me, you could say i earnt 93 after the 90 pain, and 2000 after the 96/99 pains but yeh, now ive seen real adversity i reckon ive earnt a flag like other down and out clubs have.

thing is, we go on like its our right - when we win our next flag.. when, like its a given, like its just what happens. We could very easily never win another one in our life time, they are not easy to win are they! I mean the best team each year dosent always win it, its a weird mix of skill, preperation, luck, timing, and then you still need the balls to bounce the right day on gf day if you happen to make it.

I guess we have it in our culture to just win them but i wont be taking the next one for granted if it happens thats for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Started junior footy in QLD and clubs colours were same as Dons so followed them ever since.

Highlight was playing a pre season game with the Dons getting a chance to play with heroes such as Hird, Wanganeen and Mercuri. Sheeds was awesome too!

I always remember every time you meet sheeds at clinics or whatever he was the best guy to the kids, a great advertisment for our game.

Grew up in Sydney, well Blue Mountains actually, so was primarily a Rugby League fan. I followed the North Sydney Bears who were red and black. I first started taking an interest in the VFL in 1984. I chose Essendon because thry were also red and black. I was on a youth camp for the Grand Final. There were about twenty of us watching the Grand Final and I was about the only one barracking for Essendon. I was copping s**t for most of the match but the ending was glorious. Going back to back the next year sealed my fate as an Essendon supporter.

After uni I moved to Melbourne in 1993 and lived there, and South Gippsland, until the end of 2011, apart from a few years living overseas. I went to the footy most weekends and attended the 2000 and 2001 Grand Finals. Have lived in Central Queensland since 2012 but still get to several games a year. Have been to the Gold Coast, Collingwood and Melbourne games this year

have been in sth east qld this week, i had assumed afl were making gains up there but i was mistaken! i mean its not for lack of trying, i saw ads on every bus stop for 'your suns' and radio ads for the q clash evry 10 mins but then on the news, zero afl, on the sports hour, sterlo just talked league for 59 mins, no afl... i couldnt even find live radio of suns v hawks... i can see its hard graft up there

Was first fully engaged in a season of footy when we won 15 in a row in '81 (Sheed's first season). Rode that wave of awesomeness but then 3 awful things happened in succession. Neale Daniher went down in Rd 21 just as he was proving to be a match-winner. I went to my first ever game in Rd 22 at Waverley in miserable rain where Geelong gave us our first loss in 16 weeks and we missed a top 3 spot. I cried all the way home in the back of the car. Then we lost the EF the following week. I was obviously obsessed by this point.

Simon Madden was my favourite and when he took this mark he became immortalised in my young mind;

Then 84 & 85 made it all worthwhile. When this happens at age 11/12 the feeling is indelible and the joy I garnered from those years will transcend any of the crappy stuff caused by individuals, some of whom were at the club for a NTTAWWTteenth of our history.

reckon thats the time, the ages 10-15.. if you can nab a flag in those years its prime engagment zone where you are in it for life.

id never suggest a change of team! but it could be excused if people walked away from the game for a little while... i always had the 27 on my back, not the coolest player but as a kid i dont think yoiu notice those things
I believe a small number (maybe just 1) of posters on here have changed clubs. I'm actually not minding watching some of the games this year. If you can put the scoreboard in a separate compartment in your brain there are small wins to be had watching some of the younger players. Also we know that it is only for this year.

Great write up Howard moon. Particularly loved the part about sleeping out & ‘exploring’ Windy Hill as a teen. Such commitment! Its almost cathartic getting this stuff down in writing given the time we have had as supporters over the last 4 years or so. Its good to remember what made us love this club in the first place and has certainly made me think about why I have stuck by the club during this difficult period. As ezard15 pointed out, I will feel like a more ‘deserving’ supporter when we do taste success again.

I’m 44 and like many posters here my father threatened my with having to live somewhere else if I didn’t barrack for Essendon - so I had no choice really! Not that I ever cared for any other team. My dad was definitely right into the Bombers when I was a kid. I remember from a very early age – (say 6 or 7) his going along with his mates to the games and having a few too many, then coming home and watching the replay. I wasn’t sure if it was the footy or drinking he liked best – looking back probably a little bit of both.

When we were old enough he’d take me and my brother to the games at windy hill. We would stand up on milk crates and sometimes he’d put us on his shoulders for a while so we could see the game. The players looked huge! Then again I was on 6 or 7 years old so all adults were big then. My mum was from NSW and somewhat frightened by the roughness of the game, so she tried to shield me and my brother away from playing it. But she couldn’t stop that – there were always kids kicking a ball around in the schoolyard during recess or lunchtime at Aberfeldie & St Theresa’s where we went as kids, so there was no avoiding it.

So the whole family always barracked for the Bombers, but it wasn’t until I was 11 or 12 that I started really following the footy. It was 1983 and I remember watching the grand final and the disappointment of my father when we got beaten by the Hawks. From that point on I hated Hawthorn – they were from ‘the other side of the river’ my old man said, ‘yuppies’. By then I had just started high school at Snt Bernard’s, and whilst most kids were desperate to play AFL my mum encouraged me to focus on other sports – hockey & athletics which I did and was pretty good at so I never got into playing footy. But she couldn’t stop my brother. He was already playing and doing pretty well.

1984 came around and we were looking pretty good. We’d only lost 4 out of 22 home and away games and were the team to beat. Then the semi-final game along and the Hawks managed to knock us off by 8 points. My old man was pissed off, and I thought to myself geez I hope they can turn it around or he is going to be grumpy for a whole summer. Sure enough they did and went on to win the flag by 4 goals, Leon Baker electric kicking 4 himself. What a champ he was.

My old man and the whole family celebrated in grand style. The neighbours and friends from around Moonee Ponds and Essendon where we lived all came around and there were endless BBQ’s and fun to be had for all. I thought it was great and loved barracking for the Bombers. It was especially good to beat our arch nemesis the Hawks as well.

In 1985 were even better positioned for another tilt at glory. We lost only 3 games in the home and away season, and stormed through the finals beating the Hawks convincingly twice to go on and win the flag in a canter – Salmon kicked a lazy 6. It was like Groundhog Day. Parties and celebrations everywhere, my old man and our neighbour over the road even put up a banner up across Park street in Moonee Ponds where we lived. I was loving and getting used to this winning feeling.

But in 86 the Hawks bounced back, and would go onto win 4 out of 6 flags from 86 – 91. My old mans focus seemed to shift around this point as while the Bombers weren’t going so great, my brother was going very well with his footy and was something of a junior star. He played in the first 18 at Snt Bernards at age 15 and in state junior teams, and was training with the under 19’s. he went on to play a couple of years in the reserves with the Bombers and was lucky enough to play with Terry Daniher and Simon Madden in the twos who were coming to the end of their careers but still great players and great blokes. My brother was unlucky not to get drafted, and went on to play a year at Fitzroy & Richmond in the reserves before getting paid pretty well playing a few seasons in local footy.

It wasn’t until 1993 when somewhat unexpectedly we tasted success again. I remember working at the grand final as a blue coat – it was a good job, OK money and you get to watch the games for free. After the game I went to the Grand Hotel in Essendon where all the players were and celebrated in high style. I had a good night on a number of fronts - my team had won, my brother knew a couple of the players and we had drinks with them, and I met a nice (well willing) young lady also…great bloody night!

1996 was devastating losing to the Swans in a prelim after the siren. I thought we had a real chance that year, and in 1999 we managed to lose a prelim by a point again going down to the Blues. So all in all during the 90’s while we had some great players, but I thought we should have got at least 1 more flag, but in football, as in life, things don’t always work out that way…

From 2000 my main memory is getting beaten by the Bulldogs by 11 points to spoil our unbeaten home and away season. Though we were never going to lose that premiership and ended up saluting by 10 goals against the Demons. I thought we could go back to back in 2001 but the Brisbane Lions proved too good – they were a great team and went on to win 3 in a row. The 2000 flag seems like a distant memory though now…..

I’m glad this saga is now coming to an end. I hope they don’t take Jobe’s Brownlow off him he doesn’t deserve that. Then again, guys like Jobe, Fletcher and Stanton and I’d say most of the playing list didn’t deserve to have their names dragged through the mud like it has been over the last few years. I’m not sure what to think about Hird. I think he may have been complicit in some ways and certainly should have bowed out a lot earlier than he did. He’ll be remembered as a great player but not a good coach – I guess he’s not alone there.

I am hopeful for the future. If we can get Jobe & Hurley back we can push for finals next year, we have some great young players coming through and bottoming out and getting some top draft picks which we haven’t had for ages will benefit the club hugely in the medium to long term. I’ll always follow the club even if I don’t agree with the way some things have been handled over the last 4 years. 4 years is not a lifetime, in another 4 (by 2020) this whole saga will be well in the review mirror, and I reckon that’s around the time we can make another serious push for a premiership. And that’s just the tonic out supporters need right now I reckon...Go you Bombers ;)

I was born in '76 and lived in rural South Australia until 1995. I started following footy pretty early but never stuck with a side throughout a season, let alone season to season.

The old man got sick of the approach from me, possibly because it meant barracking for Carlton at times as I tended to jump on the back of whoever was winning. He told me to pick a side and stick with them, this was before the '83 season. He rattled off the team mascots and colours for me such as "there is Richmond, they're the tigers and they're yellow and black. There's Collingwood, they're the magpies and they're black and white. There's Essendon, they're the Bombers and they're red and black".

Nothing sounded as cool as the Bombers so that was my choice. Whilst I think dad was a bit upset I didn't join him as a Melbourne supporter he did say "I think they'll be alright". Done.

Fast forward to post '83 grand final and I said to dad I'm changing to Hawthorn. He said I'm not, when you follow a team you take the good with the bad. A couple of mates at the time almost swayed me to go for Geelong but I stuck fat because dad said to. No other reason.

84 and 85 were out of the box. Dad was right. Stick with a team and you'll be rewarded. Ok I had only stuck with the Bombers for 3 years and we'd played in 3 GFs and won 2 of them, but I thought this was alright. Simon Madden had become god like to me, Watson was only a bees dick behind in terms of my favourite player. Van der Haar flying for anything and everything etc.

The only problem was I had to watch The Winners and Wide World Of Sport to see much VFL (sans finals). That didn't matter, I'd found my footballing home.

I was shattered when '86 fell apart due to injuries and also when we lost guys like Neagle to Sydney and Merrett to Brisbane. How would we ever recover?

It didn't take long, up to our eyeballs in 89 then making the GF in 90. During the last quarter in the 90 GF I went outside to practice my golf swing. One of my mates who barracked for Hawthorn called at the request of his Collingwood supporting old man to give me some s**t. I hung up on him. My mum tore absolute strips off me for hanging up on him, I can't recall her ever giving it to me as she did then. She didn't grow up in a footballing family (though she married into one), so didn't understand. When she finished I shrugged my shoulders and went back out to continue practicing my golf swing.

I was working at Kmart when we lost to Hawthorn in 1992 by 160 points. It didn't seem real, that was rock bottom or so I thought.

Fast forward to 93 and boy oh boy wowee. Like Howard Moon I felt like I'd earned this one. The only problem was I had to work that day too! My manager didn't give a s**t. I spent probably 15 minutes of every quarter watching the GF in the Sound and Vision section so I stuck it up her, then knocked off and went straight home to watch the replay.

1996 I was upset about but due to our prelim injuries I didn't think we'd be able to win the GF.

The year between 1998 and 2000 tore my heart out. I was watching the game at the pub with mates, one of who barracked for Carlton. We were at each other all day with the banter, he won in the end. I went to the boozer on the way home and bought a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel which at the time retailed for $90. I swore I was going to drink the whole thing to drown my sorrows. I had my first little glass and I realised it was too nice to waste so went back to the boozer and bought a slab and drank my defeated spirit into submission.

In 2000 I got finals series tickets. Being in Adelaide I couldn't make all the games but I knew we'd make the GF. The took the old man and as it turns out, we played Melbourne. I don't think he was confident but he'd never been to a GF so thought why the hell not. Before the game he saw a bloke he recognised sitting 5 rows in front of us. It was his uncle from Tassie who he hadn't seen for over a decade and the bloke that got my dad barracking for Melbourne in their glory days of the late 50s. It was a nice touch seeing them catch up. Any way we won, best season on earth, the peak of being a supporter and the arrogance was probably only matched by my 8 (almost 9) year old self in 85.

Since then it's been a gradual decline but we turned the corner and started climbing again. Then the saga hit. I'm still here though. Upset at the club big time that we found ourselves in a position to be like this, but I can't walk away. I had a fleeting thought of giving it away when CAS overruled the AFL tribunal but there was never a thought of barracking for someone else. The thought was fleeting and within a matter of seconds I knew it wouldn't happen. With each re-signing of the 12 I've felt that bit of pride return. With each performance from guys like Parish, Zach and Raz I find myself thinking to the future. With each report of the VFL hearing about guys like Francis I start to wonder how we'll fit them all into our best 22.

And the latest chapter in my Essendon history is this essay I just wrote. I think I'd better go do some work now, I've just made my day a hell of a lot busier than it would've been had I actually been working.

Started following as a four year old. It was warm night in May at the MCG in 1993, the opponent was Fitzroy and in front of about 60k we won one of the real classics of the '90s. Alistair Lynch, the man who would destroy us in a grand final eight years later, was best afield, but the music stopped playing when we happened to be in front. It was that sort of game.

Why specifically did I start following after that? Well, I guess, winners are grinners but given my age at the time, who really knows. But start following them I did, and of clues given what happened later that year, it was a rather timely decision!

In the years since, I've lived the highs and lows. I've been ecstatic after flags twice, in tears after 1999, and completely hollow after 2001. I like to think, as a rule, that Essendon supporters have been more lucky than most in terms of seeing team success and knowing your club was in a safe place, so I'm treating the whole episode of the last three years as sod's law finally catching up with us. It's savage and we didn't ask for it as suppporters, but you just have to tough it out, like supporters of other clubs who've gone through tough times have.

And the best thing is, when we are finally back on course, all of this mess will make us appreciate the good times so much more.

Essendon flows through my veins and my heart is red and black, and always will be. If I have one big pang- I've never seen us win a flag live. I cannot wait for the day that changes. I also wish I'd been able to experience Windy Hill properly, but alas I'm simply too young and not much can be done about that.

First went to games when an uncle took me to see another team, so I supported them for a while. Dad didn't follow footy that closely back then, but I later discovered that Essendon was his team, and so I adopted it as my own. I think I figured everyone else followed their Dad's team, and that would've been a good enough reason on it's own... but it helped that we went on to win the grand final that year, and that EFC had also won the flag in the year I was born. Seemed legit, so that was the end of it. Good times, bad times, red and black.

There was a while when I would just keep up with the scores and the general goings on, but didn't watch games due to no foxtel and never knowing when the free to air games were going to be on. During that time I watched the Formula 1s pretty religiously, practice, qualifying, race and other coverage. Then the F1s moved predominantly to foxtel and I got an AFL Live Pass... and well.

These days, I watch the entirety of every Essendon game and most of the VFL ones that are broadcast as well. Whenever the family want to know the score or the fixture or whatever, they ask me... and when they don't want to know, I tell them anyway XD I'm usually up to speed with whatever has been put on the Essendon website or twitter feeds, and I obviously spend way too much time on here — lately with good reason, formerly as a dereliction of duties. And that's all before you mention the spreadsheets (there are two: the playing list with the injuries/team selections/winning margins of each round plotted on it, and the draft order forecasting one). Pretty sure I'm the crazy one in my family ;)

These bad times are well beyond anyone would have expected when you sign up. Years without a premiership perhaps, and you can probably anticipate some bad injuries. But this is well beyond that and it's understandable to feel a bit blindsided by it and really frustrated and depressed and not want to watch or go to games (even letting your membership go, heaven forbid).

In light of that, it's impressive how many people have stayed loyal and continue to sign up as the year goes on... especially this year, after being under siege for so long and then having the core of our playing group suspended. We've basically bottomed out, but it doesn't feel like we have when you see the turn out at the march in round two, and those that continue to turn up to games and be so loudly supportive even when we're losing by a ridiculous margin. It's worth going just to be a part of that.

Last edited:
I always remember every time you meet sheeds at clinics or whatever he was the best guy to the kids, a great advertisment for our game.

Yeah it was pretty surreal. I first met him in the change rooms and he was very friendly towards me. He even asked where did I want to play. I sarcastically said give me FF to which he just laughed. Ended up coming on after half time and playing HF. Ran around like a headless chook but was an amazing experience. After the game he said well done and keep following my dreams. He asked about my coaches and how i was going in the SANFL and genuinely seemed interested.

it would have been easy to jump ship. I like AFL and most teams, so switching options were there. But its been a part of my life since i was 8. Changing now makes no sense. So much explaining, etc.

I jumped on in the 1990 GF after barracking for the Dons in the GF.
i didn't really start going to games until 92. Remember the likes of Hird, Fletch, Wanganeen and Symons coming up.
Bewick and Mercuri also became faves. I loved the good games from Alessio.
And Lucas and Lloyd popping up together and thinking we were onto something.

2000 was fun. you went knowing you would win. Anything less than 10 goals was disappointing.
I remember missing two critical games due to personal reasons. 99 Prelim (powderfinger & something for kate clash...it was worth it) and the 2000 loss to the Dogs. I went to every other home game in 99, 00 and 01. Finals included.
Kinda feel like i jynx'd those games. Did attend 01 GF though, so.....

As bad as this is, it was the Knights era that was the hardest to watch. Defensively inept, weak on the ball and no intensity.
It crept back in as the spirits of the players dropped last year.
But its good to see positive signs in our kids.

I was born in '76 and lived in rural South Australia until 1995. I started following footy pretty early but never stuck with a side throughout a season, let alone season to season.

The old man got sick of the approach from me, possibly because it meant barracking for Carlton at times as I tended to jump on the back of whoever was winning. He told me to pick a side and stick with them, this was before the '83 season. He rattled off the team mascots and colours for me such as "there is Richmond, they're the tigers and they're yellow and black. There's Collingwood, they're the magpies and they're black and white. There's Essendon, they're the Bombers and they're red and black".

Nothing sounded as cool as the Bombers so that was my choice. Whilst I think dad was a bit upset I didn't join him as a Melbourne supporter he did say "I think they'll be alright". Done.

Fast forward to post '83 grand final and I said to dad I'm changing to Hawthorn. He said I'm not, when you follow a team you take the good with the bad. A couple of mates at the time almost swayed me to go for Geelong but I stuck fat because dad said to. No other reason.

84 and 85 were out of the box. Dad was right. Stick with a team and you'll be rewarded. Ok I had only stuck with the Bombers for 3 years and we'd played in 3 GFs and won 2 of them, but I thought this was alright. Simon Madden had become god like to me, Watson was only a bees dick behind in terms of my favourite player. Van der Haar flying for anything and everything etc.

The only problem was I had to watch The Winners and Wide World Of Sport to see much VFL (sans finals). That didn't matter, I'd found my footballing home.

I was shattered when '86 fell apart due to injuries and also when we lost guys like Neagle to Sydney and Merrett to Brisbane. How would we ever recover?

It didn't take long, up to our eyeballs in 89 then making the GF in 90. During the last quarter in the 90 GF I went outside to practice my golf swing. One of my mates who barracked for Hawthorn called at the request of his Collingwood supporting old man to give me some s**t. I hung up on him. My mum tore absolute strips off me for hanging up on him, I can't recall her ever giving it to me as she did then. She didn't grow up in a footballing family (though she married into one), so didn't understand. When she finished I shrugged my shoulders and went back out to continue practicing my golf swing.

I was working at Kmart when we lost to Hawthorn in 1992 by 160 points. It didn't seem real, that was rock bottom or so I thought.

Fast forward to 93 and boy oh boy wowee. Like Howard Moon I felt like I'd earned this one. The only problem was I had to work that day too! My manager didn't give a s**t. I spent probably 15 minutes of every quarter watching the GF in the Sound and Vision section so I stuck it up her, then knocked off and went straight home to watch the replay.

1996 I was upset about but due to our prelim injuries I didn't think we'd be able to win the GF.

The year between 1998 and 2000 tore my heart out. I was watching the game at the pub with mates, one of who barracked for Carlton. We were at each other all day with the banter, he won in the end. I went to the boozer on the way home and bought a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel which at the time retailed for $90. I swore I was going to drink the whole thing to drown my sorrows. I had my first little glass and I realised it was too nice to waste so went back to the boozer and bought a slab and drank my defeated spirit into submission.

In 2000 I got finals series tickets. Being in Adelaide I couldn't make all the games but I knew we'd make the GF. The took the old man and as it turns out, we played Melbourne. I don't think he was confident but he'd never been to a GF so thought why the hell not. Before the game he saw a bloke he recognised sitting 5 rows in front of us. It was his uncle from Tassie who he hadn't seen for over a decade and the bloke that got my dad barracking for Melbourne in their glory days of the late 50s. It was a nice touch seeing them catch up. Any way we won, best season on earth, the peak of being a supporter and the arrogance was probably only matched by my 8 (almost 9) year old self in 85.

Since then it's been a gradual decline but we turned the corner and started climbing again. Then the saga hit. I'm still here though. Upset at the club big time that we found ourselves in a position to be like this, but I can't walk away. I had a fleeting thought of giving it away when CAS overruled the AFL tribunal but there was never a thought of barracking for someone else. The thought was fleeting and within a matter of seconds I knew it wouldn't happen. With each re-signing of the 12 I've felt that bit of pride return. With each performance from guys like Parish, Zach and Raz I find myself thinking to the future. With each report of the VFL hearing about guys like Francis I start to wonder how we'll fit them all into our best 22.

And the latest chapter in my Essendon history is this essay I just wrote. I think I'd better go do some work now, I've just made my day a hell of a lot busier than it would've been had I actually been working.

get back to work! im on holidays, im allowed to reminisce

Remove this Banner Ad

Back