Zac Dawson - Quiet Achiever

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst he does do some good things, he does some pretty ordinary things too. Whoever he gets this week will kick at least 4 goals on him.

Seems like a nice enough fella and obviously the coach likes him but seriously if you wanted the definition of a bland defensive footballer without an offensive string to his bow then he's the one. The nicest think you could say is he knows his limitations and plays his role.

Really feel sorry for the guy.
Had an absolutly terrible start to his career, getting bashed by everyone.

Then moved to Saints and the fans there were unhappy as he was getting played ahead of Max Hudgton(prob spelt wrong)
Copped plenty due to that but started becoming a fairly good defender.

Now he has moved here and alot are unhappy as he has forced Silvagni out.
I admire his courage and ability to back himself and leave his opponents to defend others, all the 1%ers etc.

However 1 on 1 against most good forwards im never confident.
Terrible with disposal.

Been doing a great job i just feel we have a better option and one that can mark and not be afraid of having to dispose of the ball.

Really feel sorry for the guy.
Had an absolutly terrible start to his career, getting bashed by everyone.

Then moved to Saints and the fans there were unhappy as he was getting played ahead of Max Hudgton(prob spelt wrong)
Copped plenty due to that but started becoming a fairly good defender.

Now he has moved here and alot are unhappy as he has forced Silvagni out.
I admire his courage and ability to back himself and leave his opponents to defend others, all the 1%ers etc.

However 1 on 1 against most good forwards im never confident.
Terrible with disposal.

Been doing a great job i just feel we have a better option and one that can mark and not be afraid of having to dispose of the ball.

Did this beautifully 4 times against Roughead.

Seems like a nice enough fella and obviously the coach likes him but seriously if you wanted the definition of a bland defensive footballer without an offensive string to his bow then he's the one. The nicest think you could say is he knows his limitations and plays his role.

Mate I know you've been on a tear lately about the lack of excitement in the team, but to level that sort of criticism at a lock-down defender is a little silly, guys like Scarlett, Schofield and Fletcher are very rare. It's up to Broughton/Duffield/McPharlin to offer offence coming out of defensive 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dawson infuriates me at least once a match with either a u/12's
mentality push in the back, usually deep in our defense.
Next cab off the rank, 50m penalty close to once a game average I'd reckon.

Dawson is either dumb or just doesn't give a f*%k IMO.

Mate I know you've been on a tear lately about the lack of excitement in the team, but to level that sort of criticism at a lock-down defender is a little silly, guys like Scarlett, Schofield and Fletcher are very rare. It's up to Broughton/Duffield/McPharlin to offer offence coming out of defensive 50.

I don't think I criticised him, said he plays his role and knows his limitations but doesn't have an offensive string to his bow. Hard to see what's unfair about that. He's just adequate enough to dispose of a footy at AFL level without embarrassing himself more than once or twice a game. What he does he does well.
Unfortunately he's come to symbolise (for me) everything Ross looks for in a player. Very little talent but capable of sticking to a task and playing his role.
We see Pearce, Van Berlo, Crowley and these types becoming the preferred players in our team, similar to Dawson. Little talent but prepared to play a role.

I heartily applaud attempts to toughen us up by dropping players who looks good on the outside but won't put it on the line (Ibbo) or just don't get enough of the ball (Suban) and unfortunately till we have the likes of Fyfe and Morabito available we don't have a lot of options. I'm a realist about this but It makes me cry a little inside to see someone of such limited ability as Dawson being sent forward in a game trying to manufacture a goal when we have Walters playing in the seconds. It's a sort of triumph of substance over style that has made us the most hated team in the league to watch inside 8 rounds.

If we become ruthless, tough and win on the road then it's worth going through some short term pain but in the meantime, I'm going to bitch and moan a bit because I don't like the way we play at the moment. I'd rather see Crozier, Walters, Sheridan and the like developing in the big league than persist with honest tryers who will never be good enough. i know we won't win in the short term that way but it's interesting at least. What we are seeing now isn't a bit.
My position isn't a tenable one in the cutthroat world of professional AFL but I'm not a professional, just someone who watches as a bit of enjoyment. I'm coming around to memories point of view, if it's not entertainment, what is it?

Dawson is (again unfortunately) the very symbol of Ross Lyon football. A mediocre, lock down defender who does his job week in week out. He's very good at it and i have nothing against him personally I just don't like what he represents to my footy club.

What will Ross Lyon do with Dawson if Silvagni plays a better game than him this week and McPhee is ready to go for the following weeks match. I doubt he drop Dawson so who would make way for McPhee.

I don't think I criticised him, said he plays his role and knows his limitations but doesn't have an offensive string to his bow. Hard to see what's unfair about that. He's just adequate enough to dispose of a footy at AFL level without embarrassing himself more than once or twice a game. What he does he does well.
Unfortunately he's come to symbolise (for me) everything Ross looks for in a player. Very little talent but capable of sticking to a task and playing his role.
We see Pearce, Van Berlo, Crowley and these types becoming the preferred players in our team, similar to Dawson. Little talent but prepared to play a role.

I heartily applaud attempts to toughen us up by dropping players who looks good on the outside but won't put it on the line (Ibbo) or just don't get enough of the ball (Suban) and unfortunately till we have the likes of Fyfe and Morabito available we don't have a lot of options. I'm a realist about this but It makes me cry a little inside to see someone of such limited ability as Dawson being sent forward in a game trying to manufacture a goal when we have Walters playing in the seconds. It's a sort of triumph of substance over style that has made us the most hated team in the league to watch inside 8 rounds.

If we become ruthless, tough and win on the road then it's worth going through some short term pain but in the meantime, I'm going to bitch and moan a bit because I don't like the way we play at the moment. I'd rather see Crozier, Walters, Sheridan and the like developing in the big league than persist with honest tryers who will never be good enough. i know we won't win in the short term that way but it's interesting at least. What we are seeing now isn't a bit.
My position isn't a tenable one in the cutthroat world of professional AFL but I'm not a professional, just someone who watches as a bit of enjoyment. I'm coming around to memories point of view, if it's not entertainment, what is it?

Dawson is (again unfortunately) the very symbol of Ross Lyon football. A mediocre, lock down defender who does his job week in week out. He's very good at it and i have nothing against him personally I just don't like what he represents to my footy club.

well said, I agree wholeheartedly with this, except that I think Dawson is being over rated on here as a lock down defender. He's just passable at that role, and completely horrible at anything else IMO.

Dawson infuriates me at least once a match with either a u/12's
mentality push in the back, usually deep in our defense.
Next cab off the rank, 50m penalty close to once a game average I'd reckon.

Dawson is either dumb or just doesn't give a f*%k IMO.

Yep! This!:thumbsu:

I think he cares but He's also verging on being clinically thick in my book. How somebody can give away so many dumb 50s and not learn from it is staggering.

If it wasn't for all those 8 x 10 glossies featuring the boss and the goat,I think he'd struggle to get a game.

Saints might wish they still had him tonight playing his lock down role, J Riewoldt 5.3 to half time
Although Richmond will smash us next week, I don't reckon Riewoldt will have 5.3 in a half against us

Jack Riewoldt. Pick 13, 2006.

Fremantle sent Pick 13 and Polak to Richmond for Pick 8. We sent Pick 8 and Medhurst to Collingwood for Tarrant.

Pick 8, 2006 - Ben Reid.

What a monumental ****-up that was.

As bad as using pick #31 on Clayton Collard, while Adelaide used pick 32 on Kurt Tippett.

Imagine Jack Riewoldt and Kurt Tippett on our list. Would make the whole Pitt over Darling talk completely irrelevant.

Or Ben Reid and Kurt Tippett - we'd all be saying, Zac Who?

Breaks my ****ing heart how stupid that all was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back