Mega Thread The Buckley/Malthouse Succession Plan Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Mick Malthouse Asks: What's My Job?

What striked me as odd, was that players are asking why are we making changes. If we lose Mick we may lose some players.

I agree, and I said as much back at the start of the season. If we win a flag, I think Bucks is smart enough to offer to spend another year as an assistant. That way, even if Eddie nixes it, the players will at least be more receptive knowing he made the offer.

Bucks wont be assistant next year he's gonna be the coach.

Think it was bad idea for Mick getting on the footy show.Just getting hammered at the moment and whatever he says will be twisted into what the media wanna make it.

Think it was bad idea for Mick getting on the footy show.Just getting hammered at the moment and whatever he says will be twisted into what the media wanna make it.
He has done really well, but there's only so much you can answer the same question again and again. The questions are twisted so much to get a headline it's ridiculous.

Hammered? What show you watching

He answered the questions, didn't get sucked into making any categorical statements bar the ones he intended on making
Said repeatedly he wanted to stay as long as the role is meaningful (good call)
Won't get in the way of bucks, will not threaten bucks position
Handled this as well as he generally handles the media

He'll stay, Eddie will make a meaningful role, and I believe the off season may go as mdc suggested

Shocking interview by Mick.

Mick needs to pull his head in, who cares if he wants to stay coach or not, he is employed by the club and should act in our best interests at all times. If he is not prepared to do that or thinks he is being shafted he can quit now.

Mick ambushed on the footy show. Don't think he could have been clearer, but Newman just doesn't seem to understand the subtly of what he's saying.

Just Shows how Stupid Sam is. Mick told him over and over again and he just kept talking.

Barret has new on Mick too

I don't think it was necessarily a bad idea but he's definetly did not handle it well. I thought it was a bad idea to be cryptic and stalling the interview, thought it dragged out too long and almost made him seem like he was a bit mental.

From what I got from the interview, is that Mick still has the passion for coaching but definetly wants to stay at Collingwood. He understands that he has to pass it over to Bucks, and it's going to happen 100% even if its a right or wrong decision. However, the contract is still not 100% because they haven't decided on what his actual role is. They've got the name and the base of it but not all the details and the parts of the game he can be involved in. And once Eddie and the board figures out what his involvement is as Director of Coaching, if either Eddie, Mick or Bucks aren't happy with it then theres a chance Mick will be leaving. However I doubt he will be leaving to coach another side, even though he has the passion for it because his family doesn't want him too. That's why he said that he certainly won't be coaching a side next year.

Theres no way Bucks will step down from senior coach and be assistant for another year.Just wont happen. And yes I was watching the same show as I commented on it :rolleyes:

Sam just kept asking same questions over and over again.Maybe not hammered but they were testing Micks patience and trying to get him to say something and slip up.Watch all the articles in the papers tomorrow.

Mick needs to pull his head in, who cares if he wants to stay coach or not, he is employed by the club and should act in our best interests at all times. If he is not prepared to do that or thinks he is being shafted he can quit now.

Lol, okay.:rolleyes:

Was he telling the Truth when he said He Signed the Contract just to get it over and done with because of his Dying Mum and Sick Grandchild?

I didn't watch the interview, but I do follow Daniel Harford from SEN on Twitter, and he was tweeting this:

@HarfTimeSEN
Malthouse: "If I'm not at Collingwood next year, Eddie f&@ked the deal up" Effectively what he said. Wow.

@HarfTimeSEN
"Prefer it not to be" my last year coaching. #anyonewantMick ?

For those watching, did he actually say that?

I understand Mick might be in the midst of negotiating his position with Eddie, but if he said that publicly, I'm not going to be too impressed.

We've done a great job at keeping the media in the dark about this, let's not fuel them now as we head into the most important part of the season!

Only Collingwood will cost Collingwood the flag this year. Gary Ablett derailed Geelong, let's not allow this to derail us.

Was he telling the Truth when he said He Signed the Contract just to get it over and done with because of his Dying Mum and Sick Grandchild?

I would think so. I don't see Mick lying about anything let alone that.

Man you guys have done well to have him, I wouldn't hesitate to extend his coaching, how could you not have him coach next year let alone the next five years.

Always been my fav coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What striked me as odd, was that players are asking why are we making changes. If we lose Mick we may lose some players.

Mick said that was False and I don't really trust what Sam says as Fiction

I didn't watch the interview, but I do follow Daniel Harford from SEN on Twitter, and he was tweeting this:

For those watching, did he actually say that?

I understand Mick might be in the midst of negotiating his position with Eddie, but if he said that publicly, I'm not going to be too impressed.

We've done a great job at keeping the media in the dark about this, let's not fuel them now as we head into the most important part of the season!

Only Collingwood will cost Collingwood the flag this year. Gary Ablett derailed Geelong, let's not allow this to derail us.

Nope SEN has talking Crap there

Man you guys have done well to have him, I wouldn't hesitate to extend his coaching, how could you not have him coach next year let alone the next five years.

Always been my fav coach.

Because we want Bucks as Coach and I reckon he can be just as good as Mick

He wont be there IMO. Top toed around the questions and did everything he can to deflect.

His passion for coaching is still there and if he doesnt feel he can help out the Collingwood Football Club, then he wont be signing a contract. I want him to stay but I think he may be coaching elsewhere in 2012/13.

I'm pretty certain all this coaching flirtation would be getting on Eddie's **** in a major way.

Tigerland as his homely habitat, the failure to be unequivocal about coaching in the future. It's starting to really s**t me.

Can't remember the last time Mick was on that s**t show but Eddie wont let the IP slip into another club. Time to stop gabbing in my view.

I wonder if Eddie would be happy with the interview??

It's just given the media more to write about imo.Let alone radio stations talking about it all weekend.

So two people want the same job.. Is Micks ego that big that he can't be the assistant to Bucks ala Hird/Thompson at the Bombers.. The timing of that interview was utter crap too.

this is getting embarassing, look i want mick to coach our club next year but we all know this wont happen. if mick really wants to continue coaching let him go BUT he cant go to carlton or hawthorn. simple he has signed a contract to sign on for an extra 3 years at the pies, if he wants to break it those should be our demands.

What better way to piss Eddie off, than to do it on the show he started. Mission accomplished for Mick. Mark down tonight as the night our back to back hopes got derailed. Very selfish by Million Dollar Mick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back