Worst Reaction after a Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Great 2008

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Allright time to share some embarrassing moments during the long off season. I have a couple I would like to share. First, the tamest of the two, which took place in a family setting. Please, cast your mind back to Round 6, 2004.

Richmond 12.12.84 defeated Hawthorn 13.5.83. Richmond finished last that year just pipping us.

I was watching this game at the house of some Richmond supporters, with my wife, other friends including some local politicians. Also running around were about 10 kids aged 5 -15 years. A big open fire warmed the large room and general chit chat took place during the game. Beer and champagne was flowing freely. In any event the close nature of the game soon grabbed everyones attention.

It was during this game that it dawned upon me that 2004 was going to be a write off and we were only six rounds in. Schwaby had made a bit of an outlandish statement at the start of the year as well, which he probably regrets to this day.

I was getting fired up on brews and when the final siren went the frustration of another wasted season boiled over. I angrily screwed my membership scarf into a ball and threw it 15m across the room landing it perfectly, in the middle of the open fire. It exploded into flame brightening up the room. All the kids stopped and looked at me in a mixture of amazement and horror. (As did some of the guests; I had meant to land it short). My wife was not impressed.

I did find out the following morning that one of the boys had fished a hardened bit of it out of the ashes and it still revealed the number of years I had been a member. He kept it and thought that I was awesome. :)

Story Rating (G)

Number 2 to come Rated M (Some coarse language and moderate violence).

Please share Hawks fans.:thumbsu:

Go back and have a look at the threads from the start of 2010. I think the early loss to essendon might be a nadir for this board.

Allright time to share some embarrassing moments during the long off season. I have a couple I would like to share. First, the tamest of the two, which took place in a family setting. Please, cast your mind back to Round 6, 2004.

Richmond 12.12.84 defeated Hawthorn 13.5.83. Richmond finished last that year just pipping us.

I was watching this game at the house of some Richmond supporters, with my wife, other friends including some local politicians. Also running around were about 10 kids aged 5 -15 years. A big open fire warmed the large room and general chit chat took place during the game. Beer and champagne was flowing freely. In any event the close nature of the game soon grabbed everyones attention.

It was during this game that it dawned upon me that 2004 was going to be a write off and we were only six rounds in. Schwaby had made a bit of an outlandish statement at the start of the year as well, which he probably regrets to this day.

I was getting fired up on brews and when the final siren went the frustration of another wasted season boiled over. I angrily screwed my membership scarf into a ball and threw it 15m across the room landing it perfectly, in the middle of the open fire. It exploded into flame brightening up the room. All the kids stopped and looked at me in a mixture of amazement and horror. (As did some of the guests; I had meant to land it short). My wife was not impressed.

I did find out the following morning that one of the boys had fished a hardened bit of it out of the ashes and it still revealed the number of years I had been a member. He kept it and thought that I was awesome. :)

Story Rating (G)

Number 2 to come Rated M (Some coarse language and moderate violence).

Please share Hawks fans.:thumbsu:

Ahh! I remember this game very well.

This is the game Richie Vandenberg didnt make the distance after the siren, from 40m out at the dome to make us lose by a point.
To make it worse had to listen to a Richmond supporter with a tigers toy that played the richmond song all the way the car, which resulted in a little alteracation.
When I finally got to my car in the car park (which was parked right next to parking attendant), I discovered it had been broken into and everything had been taken from my car.

One of my worst footy experiences ever.

I'm not sure this really qualifies as the worst reaction after a loss, but I dimly remember getting absolutely maggotted in the MCC members bar in Carey's last great game as a player when he tore us apart on a wet and woolly day in 2004, and Crawf broke his arm.

lol great story of uncontrolled aggression :D:thumbsu:

Hawthorn v Geelong final this year without a doubt ... thought Franklin was out for a year we didn't fire a shot after the first quater -- demoralizing.

On the upside the way the boys responded in the next two weeks was brilliant.

:D:thumbsu:

Others to mention ..

Hawthorn v Essendon GF 1984
Hawthorn v Melbourne EF 1990
Hawthorn v West Coast F 1992 :mad:
Hawthorn v North Melbourne EF 1994
Hawthorn v Sydney EF 1996
Hawthorn v North Melbourne F 2000
Hawthorn v Essendon PF 2001 :mad:
Hawthorn v Essendon Rd 22 2009
Hawthorn v Geelong 2009-2011
Hawthorn v Collingwood PF 2011 :mad:

Last edited:
Two Stories.

First was against Geelong many years ago at the Dome. They touched us up and my mate at 3/4 time took off his jumper and scarf and turfed it over the end.

As we walked out, some kind person had hung it over a railing for him.

The second was earlier this year when a mate of mine was spotted stuffing his hawks jumper into his bag after the game so he didn't have to walk home in shame :eek: ;) :D

lol great story of uncontrolled aggression :D:thumbsu:

Hawthorn v Geelong final this year without a doubt ... thought Franklin was out for a year we didn't fire a shot after the first quater -- demoralizing.

On the upside the way the boys responded in the next two weeks was brilliant.

:D:thumbsu:

Others to mention ..

Hawthorn v Essendon GF 1984
Hawthorn v Melbourne EF 1990
Hawthorn v West Coast F 1992 :mad:
Hawthorn v Sydney EF 1996
Hawthorn v North Melbourne F 2000
Hawthorn v Essendon SF 2001 :mad:
Hawthorn v Essendon Rd 22 2009
Hawthorn v Geelong 2009-2011
Hawthorn v Collingwood SF 2011 :mad:

Hawthorn v Essendon in 2001 was a Prelim, so even hurtier.

That game was the one that got my worst reaction to a loss. In fact it still goes on, it has caused me mass pain over the years not least compounded by living with Essendon fans.

Two Stories.

First was against Geelong many years ago at the Dome. They touched us up and my mate at 3/4 time took off his jumper and scarf and turfed it over the end.

The second was earlier this year when a mate of mine was spotted stuffing his hawks jumper into his bag after the game so he didn't have to walk home in shame :eek: ;) :D

If you can't wear your colours for the bad times don't bother wearing it for the good...

Does anyone here remember 2001, Hawthorn vs Fremantle at Docklands? Our form was so so going into the match but Freo were an absolute basket case and the eventual spooners that year.

I still had reasonably high hopes at that stage of the season but they rolled us in the single most piss-poor performance I've seen from a Hawthorn team. My father and I both went apeshit leaving the ground just kicking and punching everything and shouting **** over and over. Pretty embarrassing now that I think of it but I've never been so frustrated during a game of footy.

September 1993 - my 18th birthday party ruined by the Hawks capitulating against Adelaide.

Fast forward 3 years and this time it is the Swans turn on the night of my 21st.

Needless to say I don't really get into birthdays much anymore!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1984 GF hurts the most. Can't remember particularly how I reacted but I'm sure it wasn't the best.

Most recently after the PF loss this year, I threw the foxtel remote into the wall and smashed it - which was most the most infuriating icing on the cake for a few days after. Threw my thongs into the wall, one one them causing our living room canvas to fall and tear in half, then proceeded to the dunny to projectile vomit after having a couple of bottles of wine. All of the beformentioned I've never done, that's not really me :) This, after 'buddy's' goal fmd. To say I was spewing was an understatement

My experience was a loss, but it wasn't the reason for my actions. Jason Dunstall needed 4 goals to kick the magical 1,000 and I just had to be there. So I hopped on a flight and raced to the MCG where the Hawks were playing Essendon.

Bunghole had 3 on the board early, then the game turned Essendon's way. Each time the ball went anywhere near our forward line, people ran to the boundary line ready to run onto the ground.

Essendon dominated from about half way through the second quarter and we struggled to get the ball to Dunstall. Essendon were way in front, had the game won, and yet Sheedy continued to flood. Even the Bomber fans around us wanted to see JD kick the 1,000 and began to boo Sheedy.

When the siren sounded, I can't print what I said, I torn my record into 100 pieces and dumped it in the bin. It took several beers and many jokes from my mate to get me back in a good mood.

The 1984 GF was the most disappointed I've been, but somehow I sensed it and called it at 3/4 time, so by the time the siren rang I was over it.

I remember being absolutely shattered after the GF loss in 85. In a very drunken state I proclaimed that we wouldn't even make the 5 next year. My mate took pity on me & insisted on driving me, in my car to his mates place in Wagga to watch the Rugby League GF the next day as we were both keen St George supporters. He pranged the car, we had to hitch back to Adelaide & St George lost the GF 7-6 to Canterbury.

Worst sporting 24 hours (not to mention the car, which was pretty much written off) in my life.

Only just shades the 1975 double of Hawthorn & St George being killed in their respective Grand Finals. It hurts a lot when you are 10.

Round 11 2000, Hawks Vs. Tigers.

I went to the game with my step dad who is a Richmond fan, I was still a youngin' and very emotional when watching the Hawks ( I still am, but I like to think I've gotten better). It was close all game and we ended up losing by 3 points. I remember calmly unpinning my John Platten badge, that I still wore and cherished, throwing it on the ground and stomping on it. When I picked it up the only damage was that both his eyes had been scratched off. It was a disturbing image.

I found the badge in some old stuff at my parents last year and was overcome with shame.

Two Stories.

I know exactly which game this was!! It was sometime in 2005 and it was the same game I tore up my membership and tossed it, utter rage :/. It was my lowest moment as a supporter and I regretted it, I was just fed up with 4 years of crap. The best part about it though was when Ian Robson managed to find my membership in the players race and had the decency to call me and hear my concerns! He even sent me a new membership.
If there was any highlight from this game it was a sweeping goal from the boundary from Buddy, the first of many!!!

GF 1984.

My pent-up rage and frustration took flight with a cricket bat in the back-yard, to the detriment of an innumerable amount of mum's plants, terracotta pots, a clothes line peg holder (and the hundred or so pegs contained therein), and eventually the bat itself against a brick wall.

Afterwards, I just walked in random directions in an impotent funk, and didn't return that night, for fear of parental backlash. I eventually found an open window to a nearby caravan park cabin, and shivered my way through a forlorn morning.

The only time I was even more than snarky was after the 2001 preliminary final loss against Essendon, I punched my Essendon supporting friend about 6 times in the face when he harrassed me about it. I was 9. :eek:

There probably has been a few, but I was disappointed in the Geel game last year where we had them at 3qtr time and then could hardly get it past halfway in the last and those Cats got us (Again).

I think the prelim as well, but that was disappointment, but at the same time so proud of the boys.

But that was 2011, Im just hanging for 2012!

1984 GF
this years Prelim, we lost exactly the way I thought we would and there was nothing I could do about it no matter how loud I yelled.
last year against the Cats when Bartel kicked a point after the siren.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back