Worst Reaction after a Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

I needed a new TV after the prelim final loss to Collywobbles, I was fuming for a week after that. I stilll can't watch the last 10 minutes of that game.

GF 1984.

My pent-up rage and frustration took flight with a cricket bat in the back-yard, to the detriment of an innumerable amount of mum's plants, terracotta pots, a clothes line peg holder (and the hundred or so pegs contained therein), and eventually the bat itself against a brick wall.

Afterwards, I just walked in random directions in an impotent funk, and didn't return that night, for fear of parental backlash. I eventually found an open window to a nearby caravan park cabin, and shivered my way through a forlorn morning.

Gosh, there are some great posts in this thread - easy to say we all love Hawthorn. 'Eldorado', yours is superb and sums up what so many of us thought on that gloomy night back in '84. Cheers.

GF 1984.

My pent-up rage and frustration took flight with a cricket bat in the back-yard, to the detriment of an innumerable amount of mum's plants, terracotta pots, a clothes line peg holder (and the hundred or so pegs contained therein), and eventually the bat itself against a brick wall.

Afterwards, I just walked in random directions in an impotent funk, and didn't return that night, for fear of parental backlash. I eventually found an open window to a nearby caravan park cabin, and shivered my way through a forlorn morning.

This can't remember thinking in any other time in my life that it was the end of the world. The worst defeat i have ever seen. We had that won :(.
85 was bad but we were never in it we should have won the 84 grand final. Should coulda woulda damn end of the world

P.S yes it was 9 days after my 12 birthday

early 2004 i went to my first hawks game ever (drove all the way from adelaide) and we lost to the bulldogs. i cried all the way back to SA lol

After a loss in 2005 (i think) to Collingwood i threw an exercise ball at the tv and it fell off the table and broke it. I was twelve.

lol great story of uncontrolled aggression :D:thumbsu:

Hawthorn v Geelong final this year without a doubt ... thought Franklin was out for a year we didn't fire a shot after the first quater -- demoralizing.

On the upside the way the boys responded in the next two weeks was brilliant.

:D:thumbsu:

Others to mention ..

Hawthorn v Essendon GF 1984
Hawthorn v Melbourne EF 1990
Hawthorn v West Coast F 1992 :mad:
Hawthorn v Sydney EF 1996
Hawthorn v North Melbourne F 2000
Hawthorn v Essendon SF 2001 :mad:
Hawthorn v Essendon Rd 22 2009
Hawthorn v Geelong 2009-2011
Hawthorn v Collingwood SF 2011 :mad:

This game for me.

1. I thought I was dying from a heart-attack from being so angry

2. Pretty sure I almost made my 2 dogs have a heart attack from watching me

3. Abused so many friends and family that barrack for Essendon, Geelong and others. Didn't talk to afew of them for months

4. As a result of this particular game and my behaviour during and even days after the game was done and dusted, my partner no longer stays in the hosue when I watch footy and a fair number of people don't watch footy with me anymore.

I could've ran onto the ground that day and had no quarms with ending Lloyd's and Hurley's lives on the spot.

Went to the round 6 game the following year and wanted to move to a third-world country after the game where I didn't have access to TV or internet.

The 1984 GF was the most disappointed I've been, but somehow I sensed it and called it at 3/4 time, so by the time the siren rang I was over it.

That's an amazing get - I was sure we were home at that stage.

My worst was easily the '01 prelim. The highest of stakes coupled with the single worst (and most influential) display of umpiring I've ever seen made it the perfect storm. 10 yrs later and I still bear an unabating hatred for that man.

Ahh! I remember this game very well.

This is the game Richie Vandenberg didnt make the distance after the siren, from 40m out at the dome to make us lose by a point.
To make it worse had to listen to a Richmond supporter with a tigers toy that played the richmond song all the way the car, which resulted in a little alteracation.
When I finally got to my car in the car park (which was parked right next to parking attendant), I discovered it had been broken into and everything had been taken from my car.

One of my worst footy experiences ever.

This game I managed to get my son to run out with Crawf through the banner. He (and I) were so excited. Got back to our seats and Richmond slam on a slab of goals as soon as the game starts. Son bursts out crying as his peak of excitement comes crashing down. Now admits that besides from the 2008 GF the best day in his footy life.

Home and Away Season 2001. Hawthorn v Fremantle at Colonial Stadium. This followed a Friday night game (Pies v Tigers)in a corporate box (my first time). The Friday night finished on the Saturday morning around 5am.

I ventured to Colonial thinking a few quiet hairs of the Dog and a 'locked in' big Hawthorn win over Freo would be just the tonic to fix me up.

The first half were beers to savour as the Hawks did it easy to lead by 30 odd at half time. Then things got ugly and Freo turned it on, running over the top of Hawthorn by 16 points........and I thought I felt ill at the start of the game.

Anyhow I went out onto the balcony with my mates and with a full beer in hand started climbing over the balcony pretending that I was going to jump only to be grabbed by a couple of nongs who through me down to the ground......they misunderstood my actions were in jest; a response to the humiliating loss. After pleasantries were exchanged I went back to my mates who just stood there and laughed. Embarrassing moment, embarrassing loss.

(Same game La Vache is referring to to I think. It was called Colonial Stadium at the time if I recall correctly)

Does anyone here remember 2001, Hawthorn vs Fremantle at Docklands? Our form was so so going into the match but Freo were an absolute basket case and the eventual spooners that year.

I still had reasonably high hopes at that stage of the season but they rolled us in the single most piss-poor performance I've seen from a Hawthorn team. My father and I both went apeshit leaving the ground just kicking and punching everything and shouting **** over and over. Pretty embarrassing now that I think of it but I've never been so frustrated during a game of footy.

Yes i remember that one, sitting in Brissy at my unit on the balcony , listening to it on the radio in disbelief, two whole suddenly appear in the wardrobe cupboard next to me, plus one very sore and bloody hand , i still dont know what happen, but from then i promised not to take the hawks games so seriously, until this year collingwood game , may my beer glass rest in peace

Yes i remember that one, sitting in Brissy at my unit on the balcony , listening to it on the radio in disbelief, two whole suddenly appear in the wardrobe cupboard next to me, plus one very sore and bloody hand , i still dont know what happen, but from then i promised not to take the hawks games so seriously, until this year collingwood game , may my beer glass rest in peace

I love these reactions :)

I also love how after I've roared an atrocity at the TV that would make your average harlot blanch and dispensing with the remote with enough velocity to kill an aquatic mammal people think it's not only appropriate, but also going to end well for them, to say

"It's only a game"

I also love how after I've roared an atrocity at the TV that would make your average harlot blanch and dispensing with the remote with enough velocity to kill an aquatic mammal people think it's not only appropriate, but also going to end well for them, to say

"It's only a game"

Any other code...
Any other club....
Then, and only then, it's only a game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I started a new job in May, come September I had little annual leave or flex time. After the Collingwood game I had to start work at midnight with 5 Collingwood supporters. Not the happiest time of my life. The Franklin goal I swear I thought we had it. But Cyril got dumped by the most over-rated muppet in the game :eek:

Some pretty funny stories.

Anyway, for me the 1993 final against Adelaide was the worst ever.
We had just moved to Perth and were getting used to all the West Coast mania, one of the only respites was that the Hawks were going alright. Anyway, the very same day that final was on my Dad and I were at a WAFL final. The game wasn't live on TV so we were listening to it on the Radio in the stands. I remember how the commentators were talking about how the Hawks were completely in control but couldn't put them away on the score board. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when Adelaide eventually got up. What made it worse was that our team, West Perth, who had finished on the top of the ladder after years of languishing at the bottom, also got beat. Of course we sat next to the biggest knob I have ever met in my life. He would stand up and wolf whistle in our faces after every Claremont goal. I was 13, my grandpa was dying of lung cancer and couldn't be a ''man'' that evening and eventually broke down.

2009 Round 22 v Essendon game Sliding Glass Doors went

2011 Prelim punched a hole right from the Kitchen to the Living Room

"It's only a game"

Hahahaha. :thumbsu:

I took to my room with a hockey stick after listening to a very tight loss to Richmond around 1995... Spend a good few minutes smashing it into whatever I could.
Over the next few years Mum would come across things I broke that fateful day and ask about it, I used up so many bizarre excuses. Broke my laundry basket 'sleep walking'.

84 GF, of course. that sickening feeling of being overrun. Main memory is of rod Lester Smith in the last quarter, barely able to run he was so buggered.

The '77 second semi loss to Collingwood made a young boy cry.

2001 Prelim and this years Prelim

2001: watching Croady's kick sway into the post after looking home was shattering. Knowing we would of won if we had luck hurt!

2011: Buddy's goal was amazing... but when ball kicked it... I was on the ground almost in tears for a good half hour. Did not want to do anything... talk to anyone... see anyone. It was a Friday night and I'm always out for drinks and causing havoc somewhere... but that night... got in my car from my mates apartment... and went home. I've never felt so crap about football ever in my life.

Pretty sure it was the game in Adelaide where McLeod turned Ray Jencke inside out and kicked a miracle goal to win the game for the Crows.

Had been drinking at the Malvern and watched the footy there. When McLeod kicked that goal and the siren went shortly after I walked out the front of the pub to get away from the crowd.

There were roadworks being done and there was a massive 2m deep hole in the road where they were doing drainage works or something and it had bollards and temporary fencing around it. I proceeded to kick the crap out of the bollards and fencing to the point where it all ended up in the hole.

Immediately after my rampage I am grabbed by 2 undercover cops who were sitting in a parked car on Malvern Road. They were there because there had been a heap of fights outside of the pub after closing the previous few weeks (not involving bollards and fencing).

That certainly put an end to my night.

Bump.

lol great story of uncontrolled aggression :D:thumbsu:

Hawthorn v Geelong final this year without a doubt ... thought Franklin was out for a year we didn't fire a shot after the first quarter -- demoralizing.

On the upside the way the boys responded in the next two weeks was brilliant.

:D:thumbsu:

Others to mention ..

Hawthorn v Essendon GF 1984
Hawthorn v Melbourne EF 1990
Hawthorn v West Coast F 1992 :mad:
Hawthorn v North Melbourne EF 1994
Hawthorn v Sydney EF 1996
Hawthorn v North Melbourne F 2000
Hawthorn v Essendon PF 2001 :mad:
Hawthorn v Essendon Rd 22 2009
Hawthorn v Geelong 2009-2013
Hawthorn v Collingwood PF 2011 :mad:

I'll add Hawthorn v Sydney GF 2012 to my list -- weekends loss pales into insignificance compared to this lot ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
1975 Grand Final: my first Grand Final loss: massacred by the mercenaries at North.

My favourite player Leigh Matthews, 23 years old and at his peak, not getting a touch.

I've wiped 1975 from my memory forever!

I cried as a boy watching carlton beat the hawks in 87 gf.
cried again as a boy man when hawkins kicked that goal after siren in 13 ( mightve been 12) how da * do they get the ball from one end to the other untouched by any hawk player in 15 seconds omfg... everytime that moment comes onto the tv i sigh and shut my eyes.
honorable mentions
gf 12
pf 2001

Remove this Banner Ad

Back