Worst Reaction after a Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh! I remember this game very well.

This is the game Richie Vandenberg didnt make the distance after the siren, from 40m out at the dome to make us lose by a point.
To make it worse had to listen to a Richmond supporter with a tigers toy that played the richmond song all the way the car, which resulted in a little alteracation.
When I finally got to my car in the car park (which was parked right next to parking attendant), I discovered it had been broken into and everything had been taken from my car.

One of my worst footy experiences ever.

Was at that game. Was at the dome and Schultz took a hanger on the wing. s**t night indeed.

I punched a hole in the wall during a WC game. It was a day game in Perth and WC was away to a flyer and when Chick finally kicked a goal I was estatic.
The umpire then called it back and I gently popped a hole in the nearest piece of plaster. When I got home from working night shift my wife had written the scores on the hole. Little embarrassing when visitors would come over and ask why there were footy scores in the hole in the wall.

Some pretty funny stories.

Anyway, for me the 1993 final against Adelaide was the worst ever.
We had just moved to Perth and were getting used to all the West Coast mania, one of the only respites was that the Hawks were going alright. Anyway, the very same day that final was on my Dad and I were at a WAFL final. The game wasn't live on TV so we were listening to it on the Radio in the stands. I remember how the commentators were talking about how the Hawks were completely in control but couldn't put them away on the score board. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when Adelaide eventually got up. What made it worse was that our team, West Perth, who had finished on the top of the ladder after years of languishing at the bottom, also got beat. Of course we sat next to the biggest knob I have ever met in my life. He would stand up and wolf whistle in our faces after every Claremont goal. I was 13, my grandpa was dying of lung cancer and couldn't be a ''man'' that evening and eventually broke down.
This game should be getting more mentions.

Sure we were starting the slide at that time but we could quite easily have jagged another premiership, such was the evenness of that season (the best side - Geelong, didn't even make the finals).

We dealt with the crows twice during that season but they jumped us and we spent most of the game outplaying them but just getting back on level terms. By the last quarter we were all Over them, but kept wasting chances. They kicked a couple on our tired legs and out we went. I was 15 playing in my local GF in Perth and needless to say wasn't getting many kicks as dad updated me with scores from the sidelines. We lost. Hawks lost. World ended.

To make matters worse, had we won, we had a smooth passage to a potential GF as we would have gone straight through to the second semi. Win that - grand final.

As said, we weren't the team we once were but I think we would have had enough finals nous to edge out the younger blues or bombers.

1975 Grand Final: my first Grand Final loss: massacred by the mercenaries at North.

My favourite player Leigh Matthews, 23 years old and at his peak, not getting a touch.

I've wiped 1975 from my memory forever!

That was my first GF.
Tough to take as a youngster.

1984 Grand Final. I can never erase that last quarter. How we stopped I'll never know. That's why ever losing to those scumbags fuels the fire.

2012 Grand Final. It was ours and we just gave the AFL the cup back to them on a plate. Innacurate kicking for goal. Gee whiz..I refused to speak to people after that game for a loooong time.

Lifes to fragile to give a s**t about a lose of any type in sport !!!
We as a supporter base have been spoil't so to me a lose is water off a ducks back ..........i just sit back and enjoy the wins and success as it comes and am gratefully i barrack for Hawthorn .

2007 Semi-Final vs North Melbourne

Was only 11 and only just getting into football, as I was growing up with a family who took no interest in the sport (apart from my Dad). He used to talk about the Hawks of the 80's, and when we actually started performing in 07 I got my first taste of real football. I think that was the year I really bonded with my dad.

And I haven't missed a single game since. But regardless, my dad had taken us to this game at the MCG. Buddy's 8 goal performance against Adelaide the week before had both of us optimistic and grinning at our chances.

What followed was painful to watch. Franklin being constantly impeded by Gibson, Crawf and Vandenberg losing their cool over the disgraceful umpiring (Crawf serving a three week suspension in 2008 as a result) and Guerra slamming into the post in an attempt to stop a goal. It capitulated with a horrible loss.

I remember my Dad not speaking a single word all the way home. And when we finally got home after an eternity, I tore my beloved poster of Crawf from my wall and probably screamed into my pillow for half the night. My dad also lit his Hawthorn scarf on fire (and immediately bought a new one). That's the most disgusted and anguished I've ever felt at a loss, followed only by watching us lose the GF vs Sydney.

Now that I mention it, my Dad may be a bit of a pyromaniac. The ex-girlfriend's Geelong scarf certainly didn't last long after Hawkins kicked the goal after the siren.

When we beat richmond in the mitchell tackle shane tuck game i went around telling several tigers fans that they were robbed by the umpires I was so angry.

Earlier, 2001 I think, carlton played Hawthorn at optus oval and the two teams were so bad, hawks and blues supporters were just rolling around in stitches.
We all concluded that logic says a team will win this, but will in no way deserve it

Would have to be the 11 games in a row against the Cats.....Beyond frustrating.....Every time my blood boiled to greater extremes & that Hawkins goal after the siren immediately following Puopolo's brain-fade in the goal square, in trying to kick a kung-fu style goal from mid air, only 10 meters out & then SOMEHOW, managing to conspire to send it straight into the arms of Enright in the back- pocket.

My only printable thoughts & emotions following THAT game were that the Gods were against us For Sure!

Round 1, Friday, 22nd March 1991

I had a bad day at school, came home with nothing to do and thinking that if nothing else, the Hawks would put the awful 1990 season to bed with a resounding smashing of Adelaide.

Result, one of the better Hawthorn lineups of all time was 8 goals down by halftime, and it didn't get any better. Meantime, we got our very first glimpse of the rabid neanderthals across the border - smashing cars in the parking lot, besieging the team hotel, and generally making Collingwood fans look pretty civilised.

Had all these great subplots, not least the battle of the Jarmans, and the return of the Rat, and it all ended really badly.

My sister came home just after the final siren and asked what was wrong, I started crying. True.

Moral of the story - we went on to win the flag, nobody remembers what happened to Adelaide that year, nor cares. Maybe we should think about this in relation to the Essendon scum this week eh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Allright time to share some embarrassing moments during the long off season. I have a couple I would like to share. First, the tamest of the two, which took place in a family setting. Please, cast your mind back to Round 6, 2004.

Richmond 12.12.84 defeated Hawthorn 13.5.83. Richmond finished last that year just pipping us.

I was watching this game at the house of some Richmond supporters, with my wife, other friends including some local politicians. Also running around were about 10 kids aged 5 -15 years. A big open fire warmed the large room and general chit chat took place during the game. Beer and champagne was flowing freely. In any event the close nature of the game soon grabbed everyones attention.

It was during this game that it dawned upon me that 2004 was going to be a write off and we were only six rounds in. Schwaby had made a bit of an outlandish statement at the start of the year as well, which he probably regrets to this day.

I was getting fired up on brews and when the final siren went the frustration of another wasted season boiled over. I angrily screwed my membership scarf into a ball and threw it 15m across the room landing it perfectly, in the middle of the open fire. It exploded into flame brightening up the room. All the kids stopped and looked at me in a mixture of amazement and horror. (As did some of the guests; I had meant to land it short). My wife was not impressed.

I did find out the following morning that one of the boys had fished a hardened bit of it out of the ashes and it still revealed the number of years I had been a member. He kept it and thought that I was awesome. :)

Story Rating (G)

Number 2 to come Rated M (Some coarse language and moderate violence).

Please share Hawks fans.:thumbsu:
I think that game I was caught by friends taking anger out of a phone box afterwards.

Ive had few shockers, normally after Essendon games. One a punched the coach when Barnard kicked a Tinass goal when he got a ridiculous bounce, and the missus refused to watch footy with me for years. 07 semi final loss, that was bad. Carried on pretty poorly at the ground, and missed sending off Richie which I still regret.

Straight after the 2012 gf, friends rang to meet up to go on the ground for the concert. Was already half way home on the freeway!! Fast exit!!
Out of all the Geelong losses in a row the worst would have had to have been when Bartel kicked the point. Walking to the car a geelong kids footy rolled at my feet and I couldn't help myself but boot it away...

Sure we were starting the slide at that time but we could quite easily have jagged another premiership, such was the evenness of that season (the best side - Geelong, didn't even make the finals).

We dealt with the crows twice during that season but they jumped us and we spent most of the game outplaying them but just getting back on level terms. By the last quarter we were all Over them, but kept wasting chances. They kicked a couple on our tired legs and out we went. I was 15 playing in my local GF in Perth and needless to say wasn't getting many kicks as dad updated me with scores from the sidelines. We lost. Hawks lost. World ended.

To make matters worse, had we won, we had a smooth passage to a potential GF as we would have gone straight through to the second semi. Win that - grand final.

As said, we weren't the team we once were but I think we would have had enough finals nous to edge out the younger blues or bombers.

1992 Elimination v West Coast was the same... flags beckoned in both 92 and 93 if we got over the first final

the remote bounced off my TV after the 92 elimination.

We were on top of the ladder for a few weeks close to the end of the season, then dropped 3 in a row for the first time in years.

in order of agony
1. 1984 GF against Essendon
2. 2012 GF against Syd
3. 2011 Prelim against Collingwood
4. 1992 Elimination Final against WCE

All of those games still burn way more than the pleasure one gets from the premierships we have had....

the reaction to all these losses has been consistent - including inability to talk rationally with people, no tolerance for any media and a desire to find another interest

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned the 2012 geelong game with Hawkins after the siren?
I think that's my worst reaction to a loss, totally head in hands stuff, sitting pretty much behind the goals a few seats back.
Fast forward to prelim 2013, my greatest reaction to a win . Gotta take the good with the bad.

in order of agony
1. 1984 GF against Essendon
2. 2012 GF against Syd
3. 2011 Prelim against Collingwood
4. 1992 Elimination Final against WCE

All of those games still burn way more than the pleasure one gets from the premierships we have had....

I actually look back fondly at the 2011 Prelim loss

it was the making of our current era

I actually look back fondly at the 2011 Prelim loss

it was the making of our current era
that walk home from the G after seeing a swarm of pies fans erupt when the siren sounded is still pretty vivid in my mind....sorry no fondness from this side...

that walk home from the G after seeing a swarm of pies fans erupt when the siren sounded is still pretty vivid in my mind....sorry no fondness from this side...
Pies fans outside the AFL members asking Hawks fans for Grand Final tickets... :mad:

But perspective says 2013-14 :D

Sunday's loss was very bad for me...I had to drop 20mg of valium after the siren to stop myself from killing someone

The last 80 seconds of that game keeps replaying over and over in my head

How the fk did we lose that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back