List Mgmt. Walker and Burbury to be promoted to senior list

Remove this Banner Ad

Mongrel is an interesting term. I suspect it means different things to different people.

I equate mongrel with win the ball at all costs without regard for your own well being.

Rooke threw himself into contests with no regard for his own safety hence the mongrel tag from some. Selwood has mongrel IMO.

Shirt fronts are not mongrel they are just opportunistic. I once saw Brereton run 10 metres to shirt front Gareth Andrews in the past players pocket. No chance Brereton was risking anything but he could have wounded Andrews for life.

Walker has mongrel, he attacks the ball and will fly into a pack from any angle to get it (or try to get it ATM). Same on the ground.

I saw Simpson live once in his first year and I liked his his attack on the ball/player with the ball AFTER a ball up. He seemed to like to get down and in to it. A good sign. Blake lacked this second effort. Simpson had mongrel and I think still has.

The one thing I don't like about Brown is his lack of Mongrel. Thats what a badly broken leg and shoulder demolitions can do I guess. I hope he finds some soon. Same with Varcs.

Shirt fronts are not mongrel they are just opportunistic. I once saw Brereton run 10 metres to shirt front Gareth Andrews in the past players pocket. No chance Brereton was risking anything but he could have wounded Andrews for life.

Must have been some shirtfront. Andrews retired in 1975 and Brereton didn't start until 1982.

Honestly not sure we need a mongrel streak. Chapman missed the Prelim final because he got stupidly suspended - again - in what turned out to be his final game for us. From a nothing incident when he didn't need to. Unfortunately these days "mongrel streaks" are not necessarily a positive attribute.

There's a difference between having physical aggression and the strength to intimidate your opponents, and late head-high bumps on the ball carrier. What Chapman, Johnson and Kelly did this year is more a reflection on an inability to adapt to the new rules governing the bump (ie: don't even bother) rather than a "mongrel streak".

Perhaps we could delineate mongrel from stupid brain fart. Mongrel I attribute to playing hard, never taking a backward step, body on the line with no thought of self preservation, always for the team. See Max Rooke.

Stupid brain fart refers to a SJ jumper punch to the piss ant in preseason, a James Kelly near head high bump on Fyfe in the QF etc.

Walker for mine falls more into the mongrel. Just plays hard to win not to hurt.

Go Catters

As someone who had a foot in both camps (that is; thinking Blicavs did enough to warrant elevation but could also see the "bigger picture" with regards to List Management) I'm not too sure whether I should be hugging you or punching you. :confused: :D

Good luck to both Walker and Burbury next year and with the LTI to Menzel there is no doubt Blicavs will have the opportunity to play early on if form, structure and other clichés allows it.
I am still worried that Blitz could be picked up by someone offering big$$, being on the rookie list he can still be 'Mumforded".

Hi guys. How come Blicavs wasn't upgraded? I thought he was better than Walker and different positions I know but I thought he was shown more than Burbury as well.

It just I like to keep stats and some of my stats rely on what list players are on.

Hi guys. How come Blicavs wasn't upgraded? I thought he was better than Walker and different positions I know but I thought he was shown more than Burbury as well.

It just I like to keep stats and some of my stats rely on what list players are on.

We have a list squeeze - as you benefitted from with Chappy. Blitz will be upgraded to the senior list before Wk1 into Menzel's LTI spot and then presumably he will be the mid season upgrade.

He will also be offered a contract extension during this season to stay on and be upgraded.
If he was upgraded now we wold have had to delist another VFL player we have to make his space.

This way, everyone wins..

Go Catters

Must have been some shirtfront. Andrews retired in 1975 and Brereton didn't start until 1982.

The first thing that hit me reading that post was that Andrews was well before Brereton's time too Parts.

Ah well - memory is a wonderful thing - sometimes. I will send my apology to Dermott.

Whoever it was did a good job.

I suppose that if we are going to blame anyone then Dermott is a good a candidate.;)

Dont know why but i am on walkers side anyone who has a dip i am with them

Wait, I knew I had a problem with your post - West always had a dip and carried the load by himself a helluva lot of times, yet you have slaughtered him in his thread. Hypocrite much?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am still worried that Blitz could be picked up by someone offering big$$, being on the rookie list he can still be 'Mumforded".

Honestly, I don't think he will.

I have no reason to state that but there is something about the guy that screams loyalty.

Last edited:
No issue with Walker getting an upgrade. Yes a few kicking issues but was in the VFL GF - and he may improve this weakness over time.

Burbury is more questionable IMO. He will need a VFL good season to be on the list next year - and may need to play a senior game or two as well.

GFC will see maybe 2 retirements ate seasons end. two of Enright, Lonner's, Kelly and Rivers will likely go. GFC will want 4 picks and Blicavs will need be upgraded - so 3 live picks (if we do not trade for player). So that means 2 other delistings or traded players. Burbury would be one of those candidates if he does not show something on a pretty regular basis next season IMO.

I've only seen Burbury play once live against Port Adelaide at AAMI, and from what I saw I was impressed. He has a great skill set, is very quick and agile and can take a grab. There's definitely something to work with.

I've held him in high regard for a while now, and I think the kid is highly capable of not only becoming a decent player, but developing into star. His skill set is exceptional.

I've held him in high regard for a while now, and I think the kid is highly capable of not only becoming a decent player, but developing into star. His skill set is exceptional.
Unlike most in here, I wasn't surprised at all that he was promoted to the senior list. He's a far better footballer than Stringer IMO, and as we know he was promoted. So, based solely on that alone, I saw his promotion as a formality. Given more time and opportunities, I'm certain that he'll develop into a great player.

Burbury actually has a few Chapman traits when he is around goal.
But he is nowhere near as sharp when it comes to thinking the play through. That's what he needs to develop.

Unlike most in here, I wasn't surprised at all that he was promoted to the senior list. He's a far better footballer than Stringer IMO, and as we know he was promoted. So, based solely on that alone, I saw his promotion as a formality. Given more time and opportunities, I'm certain that he'll develop into a great player.

I agree was actually surprised Stringer was retained.

He just doesn't seem to adapt to the tempo of AFL football and take too long with his decision making.

Stringer deserved to be upgraded on the back of what he did in 2012.
Not sure what happened to him this year though.

Stringer deserved to be upgraded on the back of what he did in 2012.
Not sure what happened to him this year though.

He was focusing on a new career in becoming a magician. He seems to be on the right track, he made himself disappear for large periods.

="darren forssman, post: 30843281, member: 24541"]i disagree, thought he was average, maybe a good vfl player but definitely not afl level.[/quote]
Like Josh Walker?

Like Josh Walker?
Walker being upgraded was a no brainer with the club being rather thin in the development of our key position stocks, particularly with Pods contract not being renewed.

He's been in the system for a few years, can play at either end and is a better option than an underdeveloped Hamling or an 18yr old kid in the draft.

If Hawkins happened to have a similar season injury wise, we'd be in trouble without the extra tall on the list.

Similarly down back if Taylor or Lonergan were to be injured.

He adds key position depth, is a nice size and seems to be progressing nicely with his improvement since he first came to the club. He's also had exposure at AFL level and played some fairly handy games in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back