List Mgmt. Walker and Burbury to be promoted to senior list

Remove this Banner Ad

As pointed out Walker is at least a good depth player. What happens if Hawkins remains injured ? What happens if Vardy gets injured ? Kersten, as I have explained elsewhere, is not a CHF for the foreseeable future. You need at the very least a contest at CHF and at least Walker with some more experience, could provide that.

No one really could doubt his physical attack on the ball in flight and that is a really big plus for me. No he is not yet up to AFL standard but you cannot say definitively they he will never make it. He will get 2 more years I reckon to develop. Maybe he will get 2-3 senior games next season but 2015 will be be his make or break year I reckon.

Burbury however has probably only this season to prove his worthwhileness. A number of players could play his role that in the VFL - so he has more competition and that will make it harder for him. He does good things then goes missing. So he will need be a whole lot more consistent next season to survive the cut.

I reckon maybe you would expect 1 in 10 rookies to make it. Would be good see a list of those on the Rookie the GFC Rookie list who were - 1. Upgraded to the senior list and 2. How many senior games they played. TBH only Rooke and Pods stand out for me as true Rookie successes - only because I cannot recall any others.

Can anyone add to that list for me ? Maybe it should be 1 in 20 will make it ?

I reckon maybe you would expect 1 in 10 rookies to make it. Would be good see a list of those on the Rookie the GFC Rookie list who were - 1. Upgraded to the senior list and 2. How many senior games they played. TBH only Rooke and Pods stand out for me as true Rookie successes - only because I cannot recall any others.

Can anyone add to that list for me ? Maybe it should be 1 in 20 will make it ?

Shannon Byrnes - 108 games, dual premiership player

Shannon Byrnes - 108 games, dual premiership player

There you go - I had no idea he was a Rookie. Got past me.

So that makes 3 - Byrnes, Rooke and Pods in what 10 years ?

It just goes to show that Rookies are very hard to get up to a senior successful role.

That is why I am not confident on Burbury - but I am a little more confident on Walker paradoxically.

It just goes to show that Rookies are very hard to get up to a senior successful role.

That is why I am not confident on Burbury - but I am a little more confident on Walker paradoxically.

Mumford is another one who could be considered a success.

Geelong has a particularly low strike rate with rookies because historically we have a high strike rate with our earlier picks, thus our rookies haven’t got much opportunity. In contrast Sydney have had a low strike rate with its early picks as such there rookies get more game time. The reason our rookies are getting opportunities lately is because our drafting from 2003-2008 wasn't very strong which leaves a gap in the list for rookies to take up.

Mumford is another one who could be considered a success.

Geelong has a particularly low strike rate with rookies because historically we have a high strike rate with our earlier picks, thus our rookies haven’t got much opportunity. In contrast Sydney have had a low strike rate with its early picks as such there rookies get more game time. The reason our rookies are getting opportunities lately is because our drafting from 2003-2008 wasn't very strong which leaves a gap in the list for rookies to take up.

Interesting points. Yep will add Mumford to the list - so now we have Pods, Rooke, Byrnes and Pods in 10 year gap.

Sure the team of 2007-2011 would make it hard for Rookies to get a senior game - so I take your point.

I suppose the Gillies and Brown as early picks have been failures. And injuries to Simpson has not helped either.

How do you rate our drafting 2009-2012 ? Maybe too early to call - but we have Bundy, Motlop, Guthrie and Duncan from that period (all best 22) - and Murdoch, Caddy, Smedts and Vardy on the cusp of becoming regular best 22 players. So I suspect you think we have done ok.

Hopefully Brown and Simpson come to be best 22 players and that will make the 2003-2008 a bit better drafting period for us.

Interesting points. Yep will add Mumford to the list - so now we have Pods, Rooke, Byrnes and Pods in 10 year gap.

Sure the team of 2007-2011 would make it hard for Rookies to get a senior game - so I take your point.

I suppose the Gillies and Brown as early picks have been failures. And injuries to Simpson has not helped either.

How do you rate our drafting 2009-2012 ? Maybe too early to call - but we have Bundy, Motlop, Guthrie and Duncan from that period (all best 22) - and Murdoch, Caddy, Smedts and Vardy on the cusp of becoming regular best 22 players. So I suspect you think we have done ok.

Hopefully Brown and Simpson come to be best 22 players and that will make the 2003-2008 a bit better drafting period for us.
How about Lonergan?

How about Lonnergan?

I don't remember Lonergan being a Rookie. After he was injured was he delisted and re Rookied ???

I thought GFC stood behind him when he was seriously injured.

Cannot find details on Lonergan but I am pretty sure he was picked up in the ND not a Rookie pick.

I don't remember Lonergan being a Rookie. After he was injured was he delisted and re Rookied ???

I thought GFC stood behind him when he was seriously injured.

Cannot find details on Lonergan but I am pretty sure he was picked up in the ND not a Rookie pick.
2007 Rookie pick 50.
I just google it 2006.

How about Lonnergan?

Technically he was drafted in the second round 2002.

It's really hard to rate our recent drafting. The on-field support that our younger players are given by our older players makes it hard to project how they will stand up when they can't rely on the 1999-2001 draft to lead the way. This year will tell us a lot about our younger players. From our two super-drafts only two fit midfielders remain.

Also a lot of our younger players have been hit with a lot of season ending injuries or significant injuries that have costed them at least half of the season. With a little research you would find that more than half of our players drafted since 2009 have suffered significant injuries.

Besides injury a lot of our younger players who show promise but have glaring weakness in their game. While they could iron them out it could be the difference between dominating at VFL level and playing consistently at AFL level.

Players who I seen enough of to make a judgement call and feel fall under this category are Vardy, Cowan, Stringer, Smedts, Horlin-Smith, Walker and Kersten and Murdoch. All of them have potential to make it at AFL level but could easily fall of the face of the earth. This doesn't mean I feel we that they are lost causes or that they should be delisted right away. Any one of them has the potential to have a massive pre-season like Motlop did last year and give us a great surprise

Whilst no longer at the cats, Mumford and Carrazzo were both rookie picks.

OK that's Pods, Rooke, Byrnes, Mumford and now Carazzo.

What else have the Romans ever done for us !

Blicavs as a B class rookie and Laidler was a rookie also in 2007 I think.

Varcoe's bother Adam probably would have been elevated if he didn't do his knee.
If you add Walker and Burbury, and consider we just de-listed a guy like Eardley I think in a decade that's about 10 guys all up. An average of 1 a year isn't too bad I think. Others might disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But deserved? All he has shown is a bit of ability at the top level , and after so many years at the club I'd hope he would be able to. A bit , not a lot. He is hardly deadly by foot unless you mean deadly to our chances.

Rookies come from a long way back , then to finally get in front ..to be getting games to get involved with criteria that could involve police ...not smart. But plenty of smart players are dumb people.

Then in the GF ,when we were down , a big chance to step up... he showed that he can be dumb on field as well.

Dumb off , Dumb on. DumbDumb is not a recipe for success at AFL. It usually means you get the bullet.

Right now if he is 30-35 on the list after 4 years , he is not a rising star.. more a dull glimmer.

Yeah, that was a terrible, terrible moment. The only time in the Grand Final where we had any momentum going our way, we were only 3 points down, had a free kick, and that idiot not only got the free reversed but gave them a 50 metre penalty resulting in a certain goal. Staggeringly stupid decision. Don't have a hell of a lot of time for him after that to be honest. Shows incredibly bad disposal, and he's not that good of a player that he can get away with being that stupid.

Not fussed with him either way to be honest now.

Blicavs as a B class rookie and Laidler was a rookie also in 2007 I think.

Varcoe's bother Adam probably would have been elevated if he didn't do his knee.
If you add Walker and Burbury, and consider we just de-listed a guy like Eardley I think in a decade that's about 10 guys all up. An average of 1 a year isn't too bad I think. Others might disagree.

Based on what? Did he ever actually play well for us?

For the small chance that someone might draft him with pick 15 in the rookie draft. It also would make him a delisted free agent able to move to any club.

No way I would risk that!

Based on what? Did he ever actually play well for us?

His VFL form was outstanding at times. Had that match winning ability to string goals together in a qtr.
Although it's some time ago I do recall that about his football talent. How many games did he play?
Of course you are going to try suggest he never played well for us at any stage, and we will disagree.

But this is unlike West for instance this year ;)
I don't recall West ever kicking multiple goals in a qtr, or dominating a qtr in the VFL at any stage.

I am kidding around a bit mate.

Just think about those Gibsons and chill out.
(Call me cheap but I don't mind some Epiphones. If they were ok for John Lennon....)

Id just like to see Walker and Burbury play…. footy that is….

Im too strung out for this thread….
I need a lift, any got a pickup?
This thread needs more amps...

And I'm done..:p:D

Back to the footy talk...

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back