Roast The Media Watch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Age did a piece the other day mentioning that the new government might get rid of the anti siphoning laws that stop pay TV stations from buying the rights to every single AFL game and preventing them being shown on free-to-air TV.

The Age did a piece the other day mentioning that the new government might get rid of the anti siphoning laws that stop pay TV stations from buying the rights to every single AFL game and preventing them being shown on free-to-air TV.

If that means we get footy marketed towards footy fans, not the Dancing with the Stars market that 7 is targeting...

7 markets footy to the Dancing with the Stars market? :confused: It seems pretty footy-fan aimed to me. And if it was 'marketed' more towards the true hardcore fans there would've been a lot more talk about the Dons scandal... something I'm guessing you wouldn't have wanted.

7 markets footy to the Dancing with the Stars market? :confused: It seems pretty footy-fan aimed to me. And if it was 'marketed' more towards the true hardcore fans there would've been a lot more talk about the Dons scandal... something I'm guessing you wouldn't have wanted.

Pretty openly stated policy. Hence BT going from decent commentary to a parody of himself, Luke Darcy actually having a job, that embarrassing thing with Sam Lane every week, random s**t like tweets during the game.

Second comment is in irrelevant and illogical non sequitur.

Pretty openly stated policy. Hence BT going from decent commentary to a parody of himself, Luke Darcy actually having a job, that embarrassing thing with Sam Lane every week, random s**t like tweets during the game.

Second comment is in irrelevant and illogical non sequitur.

MEGAWALL
- Close up slo mo of a seagull
- Close up slo mo of someone eating a pie
- Close up of Angus Monfries
- Close up of (Insert 7 celebrity sitting in the stands here)

Footy fans love it!

MEGAWALL
- Close up slo mo of a seagull
- Close up slo mo of someone eating a pie
- Close up of Angus Monfries
- Close up of (Insert 7 celebrity sitting in the stands here)

Footy fans love it!
Yep and a megawall with no interactivity so basically just 8 small shitty camera shots instead of 1 large shitty camera shot.

If you could pick one of the images to look at from aforementioned megawall that would be a better offering

I hadn't seen the Megawall for ages, but it never made any sense. Also never seen a slo-mo of someone eating a pie, generally it is a pop song of the last 6 months with slo-mo of football and celebrating fans occassionally. Showing fans could maybe be considered a pro-footy fan thing, but maybe it is Dancing With The Stars related. Cross promotions are annoying, and Tweets from people not involved in the game are irrelevant, but when they are involved in the game I think it's interesting. It shows more about the inter-relations between players. If it remains mostly inane, then I'm sure it will disappear.

And my point, Gooner, was that on the Fox Footy shows they have gone on and on and on and on and on about Essendon, causing a bunch of complaints from Essendon fans. The 'serious' football journalism has been all about the dodgy supplements (and for very good reason) yet most Dons' fans complain.

And an exemplarary riposte, chocka-block full of evidence and justification.

This is how C7 see it. Die hard footy fans are going to watch the footy regardless. They could have a 4 yr old commentating and everyone on bigfooty is still going to tune in to watch their team. We are not the target audience.

How can they increase their viewers and hence theirs revenues? Target the marginal audience.. that is people who MIGHT watch the footy, but currently don't. Ie Not die hard footy fans.. C7 has identified this as 30-50yr old females.

This is what BTG means when they are "Dancing with the Stars'ing" the footy. They are trying to remove the focus on the footy, and make it general entertainment to try and bring across the marginal viewers. This is why the commentary now has a focus on 'fun and games' etc.

Foxfooty however knows it isn't going to get those viewers, instead their MO is to get the diehard footy fan across to pay TV.. hence why the coverage is.. not s**t.

Pretty simple really..

I understand the complaint, and I watch a lot of footy at the pub so don't get the commentary, but to suggest it would be a good thing for Foxtel to get exclusive rights to the AFL simply because of occasional segments designed for a broader audience is way over-the-top. Fox Footy commentators say dumb stuff all the time too.

I understand the complaint, and I watch a lot of footy at the pub so don't get the commentary, but to suggest it would be a good thing for Foxtel to get exclusive rights to the AFL simply because of occasional segments designed for a broader audience is way over-the-top. Fox Footy commentators say dumb stuff all the time too.

But it's not "occasional segments". It's the whole vibe. It's everything Ben and George have said and more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't want it either, for the simple fact that not everyone can afford Pay TV.

But, their actual coverage is undeniably and unequivocally superior to Seven's.

When Analogue is fully turned off I think they might go to HD sports. As it is all channels continue to use their original analogue station as the backbone for viewers and advertisers.

I'm a bit torn on this one, on one hand I think it would be bad if it all went to pay tv as those who can't afford it would miss out whilst another part of me would like to see going to the footy live be more important in our society. Less people glued to the TV and more people out on the streets.

I can't see the AFL entirely abandoning FTA regardless of the dollars on offer, purely due to its strength as a tool for marketing and development. Witness how pleased the A-League are to finally have a weekly flagship FTA game. They're naturally something of a special case as a locally-minor sport with a huge capacity for growth, but they reflect on a national scale the challenges the AFL has in NSW and Queensland.

Given the technological environment we're entering though, a relaxation of anti-siphoning laws is more likely to mean greater attention on IPTV solutions direct from league to viewer than a Foxtel monopoly. The NBN rollout is projected to wrap up in 2021, and with recent noises suggesting the Coalition are becoming more amenable to following through with a FTTP system, that means a very high level of fiber penetration may have been achieved by the conclusion of the TV rights deal succeeding the current one.

With high IPTV takeup, free options could eventually, plausibly come solely through the same channel, supported by advertisements, and would serve as a pretty good hook for paid subscriptions.

Doubt that Footy will ever leave FTA. As it stands FTA still has lots more dollars than cable TV stations.

I think it works well because FTA caters to the theatregoer, and Fox Footy for the serious footy follower.

Footy in HD would be pretty great too.
Exactly, atleast give Fox a HD feed of the FTA games. I remember at the start of last season when the Seven commentators deliberately stopped talking between goals so there was dead silence on Fox Footy as they didn't go to ads. *in scum at Seven.

The laws need to change to allow Pay to get things like the Australian summer of cricket along side FTA so we finally get that in HD as well. The HD thing really does s**t me if you didn't notice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back