News Adelaide falling behind in Revenue

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with this point, it smacks of small town parochialism. I cringe every time I see our non-SA bred players sing the club song after a win.
I never thought of that. More than half our squad are from interstate yet we make them sing that verse from the 80s.
"The pride of South Australia" was relevant in 91 when we were the new state on the block but we are well and truly past that now. Our captain is from WA and our vices are both Victorians. Yet we force this embarrassment on our beloved leadership.

Time to update our club song I would think to reflect our squads "states of origin"

We're the pride of Pretty much everywhere.
We're the mighty multicultural and federation friendly Crows....

We need better merchandise. There would be factors at play though.

1/ production costs. Units sold for MLB/NBA teams would be massive compared to us, so they can have lower costs.

2/ does AFL House have to approve all clubs merchandise? I can imagine them vetoing us if he had good designs for "equalisation" reasons.

The department needs to visit this site - http://shop.mlb.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=1452360

this is how you make money.

I'm not much of a fan of Baseball but I love the lack of clutter (for lack of a better word) on those uniforms, I hate the path some sports have gone down with advertising covering everything including player's arses*.

*Yes it's true, I have seen ads on soccer player's shorts in that particular area.:p

I agree with this point, it smacks of small town parochialism. I cringe every time I see our non-SA bred players sing the club song after a win.

I don't see how being the "pride of South Australia" is any different that being the "power from Port" or the "team of the mighty west" or anything else. Team anthems often reference the area they're based.

The slogan itself could use some work, mind you. I'd like it if they worked the "team for all South Australians" into our marketing slogans, but didn't make it the sole slogan. We're definitely a team for all South Aussies, but we're also for other supporters too.

I heard Port have purchased/leased a floor somewhere at North Tce for their supporters to head to after match day. I'm assuming Trigg and co. have done the same for us? Given how much they love us, I'm assuming this has all been taken care of?

What does it take for Trigg and the board to fall on their swords. Where are all these supposed "influential" Crows supporters in this state - why are they remaining silent while these hollowmen drive our club into the ground. They are the only ones who can force change at the AFC. We, the humble supporter/member, have no voice at this club.

I heard Port have purchased/leased a floor somewhere at North Tce for their supporters to head to after match day. I'm assuming Trigg and co. have done the same for us? Given how much they love us, I'm assuming this has all been taken care of?

You know, I enjoy a good Trigg bashing as much as everyone else but I don't understand this criticism.

The Adelaide Football Club supporters have a shop front retail presence in Regent arcade to buy merchandise and pay for any membership. Also, if you are talking about an after match function, the Adelaide Football Club have made arrangements with the SMA to have a 3000 person capacity venue made available to supporters within the Adelaide Oval area. I believe it will be adjacent to the ground where the indoor cricket training facilities are. So we have the same floor space as we have at AAMI stadium as we had last year.

Also, they are in the process of acquiring a lease fir a city based pub to use as an unofficial before and after match event.

What does it take for Trigg and the board to fall on their swords. Where are all these supposed "influential" Crows supporters in this state - why are they remaining silent while these hollowmen drive our club into the ground. They are the only ones who can force change at the AFC. We, the humble supporter/member, have no voice at this club.

Been said too many times, no interest in repeating it. It's the SANFL who control our club. Not influential crows supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Usually you wait for your leading question about someone to be answered before you condemn them.

Anyway have they actually purchased/rented anything? last I heard was they were putting in an office at Memorial Drive but nothing more than that. We responded with something along the lines of we have the Rundle Mall retail space for merchandise/membership or whatever and that any sort of corporate meetings could be held in our Premiership Suite inside Adelaide Oval.

Anyway have they actually purchased/rented anything? last I heard was they were putting in an office at Memorial Drive but nothing more than that. We responded with something along the lines of we have the Rundle Mall retail space for merchandise/membership or whatever and that any sort of corporate meetings could be held in our Premiership Suite inside Adelaide Oval.

As far as I know - they have a premiership suite as well and this is where they will hold after match functions.

@*PAF could help us out.

As far as I know - they have a premiership suite as well and this is where they will hold after match functions.

@*PAF could help us out.

I just compared corporate offerings. From what I can tell their "Premiership Suite" is called One and they both hold about 100 people seated "all day" so I assume. I thought Mike Smyth was talking about some sort of for the regular people shed type thing, which both clubs are supposed to have at the indoor cricket centre aren't they. I can't imagine they are renting office space, and another area for supporters in the city yet so probably some wrong information there.

For the record both clubs have pretty similar offerings, the only difference being price and it seems we are using the Cathedral room as a 200 person @ $7000 a year corporate sit down thing and Port are selling it off for a couple hundred a game thing some weeks and several times a season lunches for existing higher tier members.

To go further off the current topic, basically if Port are going to be well off at AO we are going to be very well off at $100 - $200 more for most seats and the other stuff at premium prices. Looks like AO will be good for both teams, Port probably to gain in numbers but at less $ per person and us financially and hopefully its all configured as far as over selling the members etc to maximize our crowds to.

You know, I enjoy a good Trigg bashing as much as everyone else but I don't understand this criticism.

The Adelaide Football Club supporters have a shop front retail presence in Regent arcade to buy merchandise and pay for any membership. Also, if you are talking about an after match function, the Adelaide Football Club have made arrangements with the SMA to have a 3000 person capacity venue made available to supporters within the Adelaide Oval area. I believe it will be adjacent to the ground where the indoor cricket training facilities are. So we have the same floor space as we have at AAMI stadium as we had last year.

Also, they are in the process of acquiring a lease fir a city based pub to use as an unofficial before and after match event.

Been said too many times, no interest in repeating it. It's the SANFL who control our club. Not influential crows supporters.

That's actually really good news, and given the current administration, quite surprising. I'm assuming Triggy has to hang around to assist with the transition to the new hotel - invaluable.

Last edited:
I don't think we have fallen behind the pack per say; I thinks it's mote like - the rest of the competition have found smarter ways to make money and basically caught up and gone beyond us. Because we live in such a small market with a bucket load of contingencies attached to our licence from the SANFL, our ceiling for revenue growth can only increase so much.

Until we remove the extra hands that go into the clubs 'cookie jar' we won't be able to improve our revenue without continually going to the membership well. My families membership increased by also an extra $1000 this year. Yes we have a legend membership but compering apples with apples memberships increased at more than 20% this year. The club can not do that every year.

I don't think we have fallen behind the pack per say; I thinks it's mote like - the rest of the competition have found smarter ways to make money and basically caught up and gone beyond us. Because we live in such a small market with a bucket load of contingencies attached to our licence from the SANFL, our ceiling for revenue growth can only increase so much.

Until we remove the extra hands that go into the clubs 'cookie jar' we won't be able to improve our revenue without continually going to the membership well. My families membership increased by also an extra $1000 this year. Yes we have a legend membership but compering apples with apples memberships increased at more than 20% this year. The club can not do that every year.

Catch phrases like, "the pride of South Australia" and "the team for all South Australians" wouldn't help this. You could never imagine Collingwood promoting themselves in the same manner. It was very smart of the AFC to try embrace the state when they first entered the AFL but now it might be more prudent to try to open their marketing slogans. Or maybe I'm completely wrong!!

Catch phrases like, "the pride of South Australia" and "the team for all South Australians" wouldn't help this. You could never imagine Collingwood promoting themselves in the same manner. It was very smart of the AFC to try embrace the state when they first entered the AFL but now it might be more prudent to try to open their marketing slogans. Or maybe I'm completely wrong!!

The 'pride of SA' doesn't limit that expansion - it simply acts as a mission statement. To be the pride of South Australia. So once again, like most things when you talk about the Crows, you are "completely wrong"

I just compared corporate offerings. From what I can tell their "Premiership Suite" is called One and they both hold about 100 people seated "all day" so I assume. I thought Mike Smyth was talking about some sort of for the regular people shed type thing, which both clubs are supposed to have at the indoor cricket centre aren't they. I can't imagine they are renting office space, and another area for supporters in the city yet so probably some wrong information there.

For the record both clubs have pretty similar offerings, the only difference being price and it seems we are using the Cathedral room as a 200 person @ $7000 a year corporate sit down thing and Port are selling it off for a couple hundred a game thing some weeks and several times a season lunches for existing higher tier members.

To go further off the current topic, basically if Port are going to be well off at AO we are going to be very well off at $100 - $200 more for most seats and the other stuff at premium prices. Looks like AO will be good for both teams, Port probably to gain in numbers but at less $ per person and us financially and hopefully its all configured as far as over selling the members etc to maximize our crowds to.

The only thing I can think of is that we might be hiring an area for Showdowns - maybe we've come to an arrangement with AFC that you'll use the indoor cricket area or something while we move elsewhere?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back