News Adelaide Oval Redevelopment - Thunderbirds Are Go

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't hack the heat in the Black Diamond area. After the first quarter I went up into the Eastern stand nosebleeds. Everyone should give that a go. Wonderful view.

I mean, BD has a great view too... I'll enjoy it more when winter arrives.
Yep, haven't bothered to use my BD seats yet. Used my Essential Power only so far.

The train going to the game was shocking. I get on the train at Alberton that arrives at 12 pm and they only have 2 carriages and it was like a mosh pit inside.

Gee that is really pathetic. Don't they not realise that a line going through suburbs such as Cheltenham, Alberton, Port Adelaide, Ethelton, Glanville, Peterhead, Largs and Taperoo, may have more than 10 Port supporters on board. Its excruciatingly painful.

btw, trains 2 carriages or less can be driver only, 3 cars or more requires a guard on board as well as the driver. FFS employ some guards on a Sat and get with it Adelaide metro

I was on the 11-05am train (3 carriages) out of Midlunga station (3 stations back from Outer Harbour) and the train was full by the time we got to Alberton and when we got to Woodville station the driver announced that we were going to express to the city - thank goodness he did coz there was virtually no standing room (in our carriage at least) - coming home was easier than I thought - the train was packed but we got on quicker than I expected based on the crush of people on the platform.

noticed the 19th man from the intercontinental hotel has now been removed, they said on 5aa this morning they were trying to find out why, does anyone know what the reason was?

If you could count on West Lakes being 3-4 degrees cooler than you can count on AO being 3-4 warmer. I actually left AO yesterday with sunburn. I reckon those stands really directs the sun on the spectators, at least in the riverbank section. Will be awful to watch the cricket in, IMO.

They didn't have council approval to put it up so it had to come down.

Why the * would the crows need council approval to have stuck up some plastic or fabric or even paint the sign on. Bloody bureaucratic overregulation. No wonder the city / state / country is in a mess.

Why the **** would the crows need council approval to have stuck up some plastic or fabric or even paint the sign on. Bloody bureaucratic overregulation. No wonder the city / state / country is in a mess.

Rucci and Leith Forrest were on the case today - the rumour that the council asked them to take it down is not true. I think it's more to do with the fact that no Port Adelaide patrons would drink at the Intercontinental because they identified themselves as a Crows establishment. Which was what I was saying all along - was a dumb, dumb move on their part.

Rucci and Leith Forrest were on the case today - the rumour that the council asked them to take it down is not true. I think it's more to do with the fact that no Port Adelaide patrons would drink at the Intercontinental because they identified themselves as a Crows establishment. Which was what I was saying all along - was a dumb, dumb move on their part.

And given crows supporters would rather BBQ en masse or go straight to the ground from their transportation of choice instead of frequenting city establishments pre and post-game it really was an absolute waste of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was waiting at the Port Adelaide station (with quite a few other supporters) and the 2 carriage train went straight past as it was already full.

The next train was about 25mins after so it was no big deal, but surely they would realise that the majority of supporters will be travelling in the 2 odd hours leading up to the first bounce and extra carriages should be added to each train in this period!!!!

Still, considering that most of the media were predicting a crowd of around 20-25000... its hardly surprising that the trains were nothing more than the normal Saturday service.

In late November after the Grandstands were named for cricket I decided to look up who the hell Sir Edwin Smith was to have an old stand named after him and a new one and have the road between Melbourne St and War Memorial Drive named after him. From his wiki page - its a bloody impressive CV.

I reckon we should acknowlege him in this Adelaide Oval redevelopment thread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Thomas_Smith

Sir Edwin Thomas SmithKCMG (6 April 1830 – 25 December 1919)[1] was an English-born South Australian brewer, businessman, councillor, mayor, politician and benefactor.

ok a brewer there is a tick straight away

Smith was born on 6 April 1830 at [[]], England, the son of Edwin Smith.[1] He was educated at Queen Mary's Grammar School, Walsall, and on leaving school had business experience with an uncle

In 1853 Smith emigrated to South Australia aboard the California[1] and began business as an importer of ironmongery at Adelaide.
In 1860 he went into partnership with Edward Logue[2] of the Old Kent Brewery. When Logue died in 1865, Smith successfully continued the business. In 1876 he moved the business to the Kent Town Brewery at the eastern end of Rundle Road. The malt towers of the brewery have now been turned into luxury apartments overlooking the Adelaide Park Lands and Adelaide city centre. In 1888 he amalgamated his business with that of William Knox Simms to form the South Australian Brewing Company.

Local Government[edit]
He took part in municipal government, was Mayor of Kensington and Norwood (later incorporated within City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters), 1867–70, and 1871–73, and then was elected to the Adelaide City Council. He served three terms as Mayor of Adelaide in 1879–82, 1886–87 and 1887-88. In the city council he was always anxious to improve the city and it was a result of his advocacy that Adelaide had its first tramways, King William Street was extended, and the Torrens Lake formed.

Member of the House of Assembly[edit]
Smith entered parliament in 1871 as member for East Torrens in the South Australian House of Assembly, and except for a year while he was visiting England, continued to represent this constituency until he retired in 1893. Though an active member of parliament he was not anxious for office, and only once was included in a government; he was Minister for Education in the Bray ministry from March to June 1884. He was, however, responsible for some useful legislation including a first offenders act, and he took a leading part in the promotion of the Jubilee International Exhibition of 1887-88. For this and his other services to the colony he was knighted (KCMG) in 1888.

In 1894 he gave the city a bronze statue of Queen Victoria, which was placed in the geographic centre of Adelaide in the centre of Victoria Square.

Member of the Legislative Council[edit]
Smith was elected to the South Australian Legislative Council as member for Southern Districts in 1894 and remained a member until 1902

Retirement[edit]
Smith retired from the active conduct of his business in 1888, and retired from parliament in 1902. In retirement he took a great interest in a large number of institutions, to many of which he gave both time and money. He was chairman of the national park commissioners, and a trustee of the Savings Bank of South Australia. He was an active worker in the management of the blind, deaf and dumb institution, the Adelaide hospital, the old colonists association, the Elder workmen's homes, the botanic gardens, and the zoological gardens. He was a patron or office-bearer in every important Adelaide sporting organisation, was president of the South Australian Cricket Association for about 30 years, and during that period seldom missed a committee meeting. His public benefactions were many and included £2,000 to clear the debt off the Norwood Oval, £2,000 for the Blind, Deaf and Dumb Institution, £1,000 to start an insurance fund for the Commercial Travellers' Association, and many other private benefactions.

Norwood Football Club[edit]
When the Norwood Football Club decided in December 2005 to set up a "Hall of Fame", Smith was appointed one of the 10 non-playing inaugural members.[5] "Sir Edwin Thomas Smith was patron of Norwood from the club’s first day in 1878 until his last, Christmas Day 1919". "More than any other individual, Sir Edwin ensured that the club built its early sporting life on solid foundations"

The Acacias[edit]
On his death in 1919, his home on the corner of Portrush and Kensington Roads Marryatville became Loreto Convent, then later Loreto College.

It cant be an easy issue to solve for the train network. Getting fans into town from all directions is much different to lining up the bulk of your assets for the post game rush. Overall I'm pretty happy with the train experience so far. I just don't trust predicted arrival times at my local station before the game. I feel sorry for anyone trying to catch a train along the second half of its journey into the city. Seen many a scheduled stop bypassed.

After match seems pretty well organised. Loads of railway staff with walkie talkies co-ordinating loading trains and getting them moving. My train left a good 5 minutes earlier than scheduled purely because it was full.

Decided to catch the 12-30 bus that would get me to AO about 12-45. The 208 would drop me off just before King William Rd on Sir Edwin Smith Ave after going down Melbourne Street. Got to the bus stop early and waited and 10 minutes later, on time, comes the 281 which would have dropped me off on North Terrace but gone around Hackney Road and all along North Terrace. So I thought I'd wait until 12-45 to see if the 208 was running a bit late.

Whilst waiting, I got talking to an old Indian guy that I have noticed at the shops and at the local library learning to use the net. He said the previous week the bus didn't stop as it was full with footy fans and it would have been the same time as the crows had a 1-40 game. About 12-45 the bus comes past, full as a doctor's wallet and doesn't stop. The old gentleman said he was going to get off next to the Children's Hospital.

So I said I'll drive and I would give him a lift and drop him off on Stanley Street which is parallel to Melbourne Street as I did that for the showdown but it was packed and I had to park at the northern end. So I drove to Stanley St there was plenty of free parks and pulled in halfway up the street. The Indian guy told me he was 82 during the drive, so after I pulled in I said - I'll drive you right up to the end of Stanley St near the Children's Hospital and comeback if there are no parks up there. Ended up getting a park about 100m from end of the street and just after it turns into Brougham Place. So my walk was less than a kilometre. We had a good chat in the car he told me he was Indian but grew up in Zanzibar and came to Oz in 1980 with his wife and kids. After I parked and we walked a bit I asked exactly where he was going and he said to O'Connell St to catch a bus to the North Adelaide aquatics centre so he could go to his water aerobics class. I said if he had of told me before we started walking I would have driven him there.

I couldn't help but smile and think ain't life grand sometimes - simple but grand. If the bus wasn't late and full I wouldn't have talked to this wonderful old gentleman that I know we will have plenty good little chats in the future.

Last edited:
...... I couldn't help but smile and think ain't life grand sometimes - simple but grand. If the bus wasn't late and full I wouldn't have talked to this wonderful old gentleman that I know we will have plenty good little chats in the future.
Did you talk him into a PAFC membership?

Loving this whole footy in the city thing, I needed a bit of a sleep in so I just made a quick easy trip into the city at half time and wandered down to the Oval for the 2nd half of the game. Ended up standing near the hill around a few rather jolly middle aged Port guys with a couple of drinks before leaving just after the final siren. No more epic adventures to the end of the world for games :thumbsu:

Gee that is really pathetic. Don't they not realise that a line going through suburbs such as Cheltenham, Alberton, Port Adelaide, Ethelton, Glanville, Peterhead, Largs and Taperoo, may have more than 10 Port supporters on board. Its excruciatingly painful.

btw, trains 2 carriages or less can be driver only, 3 cars or more requires a guard on board as well as the driver. FFS employ some guards on a Sat and get with it Adelaide metro

Although true about the heartland, Port supporters are everywhere. I went to catch the bus on Payneham Road at 11:20am and the first bus sailed past with a full sign on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back