Review Autopsy Thread vs GWS. Round 4, 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey King Harold mate. Been meaning to ask, whether your opinion on Tutt's skills have changed any. I think in space he can be an Eagleton like player who can really hurt with his kicking depth (evidenced by his awesome long goal), he just needs to make the right decision with the ball in hand especially under pressure.
Just asking as you've been a fair and honest critic of his and maybe my glasses are a little rose-tinted.

Thank's for asking Immortal , I have spent the week end thinking about what I would say to you guys about Tutt. ( I knew someone would remind me )
I think that was his best effort since his very first game. If you look back I have conceded he has good speed and his kicking is basically sound.
His issue has always been not getting involved enough in the game and his panicked kicking and decision making.
As an example he started very slowly and his first kick with no pressure was deplorable.
I don't think these issues are in any doubt , and I suspect the type of things Macca was alluding to.

My hope this game gives him a real confidence boost and he finds that self belief that will help overcome the problems I talk about.
Be assured I want him to stick it to critics like me. I have no ego left so I want to proven wrong and enjoy the rest of his career.
But he must front up again next week and do it again -- or off with his head !

WHE got subbed off injured the other incidents both players continued playing...

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Greater Western Sydney Football Club, the incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), high impact (three points) and body contact (one point). This is a total of six activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level Three Offence, drawing 225 demerit points. He has an existing six-year good record, reducing the penalty by 25 per cent to 168.75 points and a one-match sanction. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 126.56 points and a one-match sanction.

The high impact is a bit BS IMO medium at best but he's lucky could of went for 2 weeks IF he didn't have a clean record

Yeah that's a fair point, given the way they look at things. If he was going to be out for 2 weeks with the injury, would have loved to see us put up comparison with previous incidents [ what do they call that? o_O] - I know they never accept that but it would be good to open up the debate on it, which would hopefully bring more consistency into reports and penalties. Also, don't think he stuck his leg out too much, whereas others are more blatant and potentially more serious.

Thank's for asking Immortal , I have spent the week end thinking about what I would say to you guys about Tutt. ( I knew someone would remind me )
I think that was his best effort since his very first game. If you look back I have conceded he has good speed and his kicking is basically sound.
His issue has always been not getting involved enough in the game and his panicked kicking and decision making.
As an example he started very slowly and his first kick with no pressure was deplorable.
I don't think these issues are in any doubt , and I suspect the type of things Macca was alluding to.

My hope this game gives him a real confidence boost and he finds that self belief that will help overcome the problems I talk about.
Be assured I want him to stick it to critics like me. I have no ego left so I want to proven wrong and enjoy the rest of his career.
Cheers mate. That's actually a really good assessment and I agree entirely. Harsh but fair as always.

It's also why I think Tomlinson complements jones well.
Was it Tomlinson who tried to do a right-handed handpass form the left-forward pocket early in the game, due to not have confidence in his 'wrong' side?

Was it Tomlinson who tried to do a right-handed handpass form the left-forward pocket early in the game, due to not have confidence in his 'wrong' side?
Don't recall that incident in particular, but rest assured that poor disposal off either side of the body is NOT a problem for Tomlinson. Has elite skills off both feet and hands.

Yeah that's a fair point, given the way they look at things. If he was going to be out for 2 weeks with the injury, would have loved to see us put up comparison with previous incidents [ what do they call that? o_O] - I know they never accept that but it would be good to open up the debate on it, which would hopefully bring more consistency into reports and penalties. Also, don't think he stuck his leg out too much, whereas others are more blatant and potentially more serious.
Precedent.

To give them credit I think the current MRP system is mostly fair and transparent. There are occasionally curious decisions but the aim was to take the subjectivity out of it. The idea of accruing points gives transparency to the assessments.

Moz is just unlucky that WHE copped a fairly nasty injury out of it. That took him from 4 points to 6. The blokes you are citing as a precedent (Riewoldt etc) were just lucky that the blokes they tripped didn't get hurt.

I did see that game, and he wasn't showing off his weapons in that match, he was just having a really good game,

The whole point of a weapon is being able to use it consistently, regardless of whether you're a consistently good player in general. I'm sure Brent Harvey's kicked the ball 70 meters a few times in his career, but that doesn't make his long kicking a weapon because he can't kick it that far on a consistent basis. Shannon Hurn on the other hand.
No doubt Koby has work to do, but if he could replicate that St.Kilda game on a weekly basis would that warrant a higher ranking than c grader in your opinion?
Surely he has the size, strength, athleticism, endurance & marking ability to be at least a solid contributor in our midfield?

No doubt Koby has work to do, but if he could replicate that St.Kilda game on a weekly basis would that warrant a higher ranking than c grader in your opinion?
Surely he has the size, strength, athleticism, endurance & marking ability to be at least a solid contributor in our midfield?

If he had replicated his St Kilda on a weekly basis he would already have a Brownlow and would be odds on favourite for another one (part from Gaz). Lets be realistic here, I just want him to replicate smashing people like he did against the saints ala dempster and Jones. That kind off play makes my day.

I remember that
he hand passed it too late and wood whacked the ball over the line.

I think Stevens still has some way to go, but the good thing is we know he can dominate - just needs to make that the rule, rather than the exception.

One thing I really like about him is his propensity to get forward and kick a goal. I think his height really helps in this regard, I recall him having a number of set shots in his career to date.

So 2 things
  • Better performances more often
  • Provide a forward option when its not working for him
Both are realistic expectations for development.

One thing I really like about him is his propensity to get forward and kick a goal. I think his height really helps in this regard, I recall him having a number of set shots in his career to date.
I was going to highlight this but didn't want to get too long winded.
I think he is currently the best (if not second behind Griff) of our current mid rotation at doing this.
I also think that with the recruitment of Bonts, Stringer & Macrae, that down the track this is going to be a very significant part of our game plan. Similar to Freo, but on a much larger scale, :cool:

Precedent.

To give them credit I think the current MRP system is mostly fair and transparent. There are occasionally curious decisions but the aim was to take the subjectivity out of it. The idea of accruing points gives transparency to the assessments.

Moz is just unlucky that WHE copped a fairly nasty injury out of it. That took him from 4 points to 6. The blokes you are citing as a precedent (Riewoldt etc) were just lucky that the blokes they tripped didn't get hurt.
Yes, it takes subjectivity out of it to some extent - once they go to the tribunal. But there is plenty of subjectivity in who gets reported, which is why I think precedent :thumbsu: should be taken into account there as well as in the penalties. They don't let players get away with striking because the opponent is not injured.

Then the next step would be retrospectivity and Give Granty his ******* Brownlow!

Great assessment KH......He's got plenty to work on but plenty to work with imo......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Stevens still has some way to go, but the good thing is we know he can dominate - just needs to make that the rule, rather than the exception.

So 2 things
  • Better performances more often
  • Provide a forward option when its not working for him
Both are realistic expectations for development.
If he can model his game around Fyfe that would be amazing.

Will eat humble pie after the performance after half time, credit to all involved.

Boyd clear BOG for me, Macrae is just the gift that keeps on giving, Higgins a great swingman being able to play all parts of the ground. No real low performances besides Stringer who seemed to seem a bit lost out there on a few occasions, needs a spell. Young played well coming in, Wood a massive improvement over recent weeks and Griffen finding more of the footy which can only benefit the team.

Think this week is a danger game, the games in which we are said to win we seem to lose and Carlton will come out like a cut snake, and with the loss of Morris I think it will be a lot closer than expected.

Will eat humble pie after the performance after half time, credit to all involved.

Boyd clear BOG for me, Macrae is just the gift that keeps on giving, Higgins a great swingman being able to play all parts of the ground. No real low performances besides Stringer who seemed to seem a bit lost out there on a few occasions, needs a spell. Young played well coming in, Wood a massive improvement over recent weeks and Griffen finding more of the footy which can only benefit the team.

Think this week is a danger game, the games in which we are said to win we seem to lose and Carlton will come out like a cut snake, and with the loss of Morris I think it will be a lot closer than expected.
Well if we keep winning the midfield battle and hit outs the ball won't be going down into their forward line as often.

Yeah d0gs - you are not alone in feeling this is a danger game.

Well if we keep winning the midfield battle and hit outs the ball won't be going down into their forward line as often.

What happened last year against Melbourne then when we lost? Winning the ball in the middle gives you first use of the footy but never guarantees wins.

Agree with others, I'm not at the stage where I'm absolutely confident we'll win any game at the moment. I think we will win, but wouldn't bet on the game to be honest. Does anyone know when was the last time we won 3 in a row?

What happened last year against Melbourne then when we lost? Winning the ball in the middle gives you first use of the footy but never guarantees wins.
We don't speak of that.

Agree with others, I'm not at the stage where I'm absolutely confident we'll win any game at the moment. I think we will win, but wouldn't bet on the game to be honest. Does anyone know when was the last time we won 3 in a row?

Round 13 won by 30 against Crows
Round 14 won by 22 against GC
Round 15 won by 64 against Dees
Round 16 won by 27 against Blues

Was flogged on this board pre-season by some for saying Tutt offers us something that not many in our side can do.
Run, acceleration from a contest, carry and goal or deliver the ball (total 70 metres)
Every side needs a few players like this. You need a balanced side. Tutt offers us this balance.
No point having 6 onballers through themselves on the contest, get tired and not be able to break away from a pack and use the ball.
I’ll stick by that I believe he balanced our side last year and played some good games. Yes there is still a lot of improvement but the upside is there…Get on the Tutt train!!! Choo Choo

Was flogged on this board pre-season by some for saying Tutt offers us something that not many in our side can do.
Run, acceleration from a contest, carry and goal or deliver the ball (total 70 metres)
Every side needs a few players like this. You need a balanced side. Tutt offers us this balance.
No point having 6 onballers through themselves on the contest, get tired and not be able to break away from a pack and use the ball.
I’ll stick by that I believe he balanced our side last year and played some good games. Yes there is still a lot of improvement but the upside is there…Get on the Tutt train!!! Choo Choo
Or join King Tutt's embalmy army

I want to see more acts of pure nasty aggression aimed at players like we saw against GWS after 1/2 time. Not crazy reportable stuff just letting the opposition know that we are one - take a cheap shot and payback is coming! WELL done TLibba lead by example with the coathanger WWF style!4796

A man after my own heart.... I hate how some sides including the little f$%ks we played on Saturday push us around and we simply take it.... Jeremy Cameron was cannoning into every Bulldogs player he passed on the way to his position before the first bounce and we did nothing. Every opportunity they gave it to us...

It never happened with Danny Southern and Kretiuk in our side..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back