Review Autopsy Thread vs GWS. Round 4, 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

How good do people see GWS getting?

We had contributors on saturday that may not be there when we come to fight them for a flag - Boyd, Morris, Murphy and Gia but we also were missing Dahl and Roughead and have 3 1st round draft picks to come into the side that all look very likely- Bonts, Smith and Hrovat.

I rate some of their midfielders but will any of them be better than Griff who will still be around come challenge time? I'd say Whitfield and Kelly have really impressed me.

There's some other young guns like Treloar and I'm surely missing a few but will they be better than Libba? or Macrae? Hunter looks as good as all of them at this age too...

The only reason i say this is i just saw a replay of AFL game-day on sunday and the whole thing was a propaganda chat about "just how good gws will be".

What bemuses me are the commentators and negative WB fans alike, who point out that the GWS team is so much younger than ours, and can get so much better.

Well wind the clock back 12 months and you will find that we scraped past GWS up there, by 4 measly points.

Aside from a slow start this week, we really did own the game, and I think you'd have to say we have come on more than GWS in the past 12 months - a great effort given their dearth of high picks.

Great signs.

That's a decent point, in the matches so far in the corresponding game last year we have improved bar the WC game where it was a very similar result.

I'm sad we lost :( Could have sworn watching the game we won by 27 points but after reading this thread that can't have been true.
I would of thought judging from the commentary you would think we lost.
All anyone was talking about after the game was GWS and how wonderful they were...

GO DOGS!

How good do people see GWS getting?

We had contributors on saturday that may not be there when we come to fight them for a flag - Boyd, Morris, Murphy and Gia but we also were missing Dahl and Roughead and have 3 1st round draft picks to come into the side that all look very likely- Bonts, Smith and Hrovat.

I rate some of their midfielders but will any of them be better than Griff who will still be around come challenge time? I'd say Whitfield and Kelly have really impressed me.

There's some other young guns like Treloar and I'm surely missing a few but will they be better than Libba? or Macrae? Hunter looks as good as all of them at this age too...

The only reason i say this is i just saw a replay of AFL game-day on sunday and the whole thing was a propaganda chat about "just how good gws will be".

Champion team > than team of champions.

I've seen Stevens make plenty of ambitious plays. He just gets noticed for getting caught out more often then pulling it off. It's part lack of awareness, part lack of experience. He is there to smash through packs and provide a big body, which he does pretty well IMO, and he is still improving. Not every player can be an "A or B grader". But every team needs their role players, and Stevens is growing and being groomed into his pretty well.

I remember Ward used to get caught a lot trying to run through tackles, through a combination of bad judgement and holding his centre of gravity too high. Stevens is similar this year.

And Grif's awareness used to be pretty bad as well.

There is definitely enough there to work with in Stevens. He does a lot of things right and if we get to the stage where he is merely a depth mid, then we will be doing very well indeed.

imo these are Stevens' strengths:

Running power, great overhead, forward nous, strong fend off, long kick.

is getting more and more prolific as a player. This year he's getting more of the ball and he's more composed with it.

In the end it was a well fought out win I don't deny that

Buts it's funny how very few are as willing to admit that the first half was deplorable and only bother with the result

You obviously haven't bothered to watch the coach's presser after the game, nor read the newspaper story headlines who quoted McCartney describing the first 30 minutes as "absolute rubbish."

But let's not let the truth get in the way of your story....

Last edited:
I think the thing that gets lost with jones, is just how big he is. He is a genuine 198cm and you can see he's still getting control of his limbs. His basic co-ordination is improving all the time.

Have said it before, but I think him as our key forward, with 2 or 3 of Crameri, grant, stringer, Williams is a good mix. It's also why I think Tomlinson complements jones well.
Probably because having Tomlinson allows Williams to play down back instead of up forward.

You obviously haven't bothered to watch the coach's presser after the game, nor read the newspaper story headlines who quoted McCartney describing the first 30 minutes as "absolute rubbish."

But let's not let the truth get in the way of your story....

Wasn't talking about Macca and in fact never mentioned him only the others on here that seem to ignore that facts

But let's not let the truth get in the way of your story shall we

I want to see more acts of pure nasty aggression aimed at players like we saw against GWS after 1/2 time. Not crazy reportable stuff just letting the opposition know that we are one - take a cheap shot and payback is coming! WELL done TLibba lead by example with the coathanger WWF style!4796

Can someone explain to me why Morris has been offered 1 week with an early plea for his tripping offence, when both Jack Riewoldt and Sharrod Wellingham got reprimands in preceding weeks for the same thing? Especially when Morris has 6 years of good behavior behind him.

I know it doesn't really matter, since Morris will likely miss this week with injury, but it's still ridiculous.

Buts it's funny how very few are as willing to admit that the first half was deplorable and only bother with the result
Whutt I would have thought everyone would admit it was deplorable. However, it was a great comeback and I'm proud of the guys. Remember GWS beat Sydney so they are no walkovers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been meaning to post this since watching the game.
Kudos to Picken & Wood.
As awful as we were early on, Picken was good. He was in our best few at half time.
Good to see Wood use his speed to break the lines a and launch some decent attacks.
I seriously thought both of those guys would struggle this year, but they both looked great on Saturday.
Good for them!

Can someone explain to me why Morris has been offered 1 week with an early plea for his tripping offence, when both Jack Riewoldt and Sharrod Wellingham got reprimands in preceding weeks for the same thing? Especially when Morris has 6 years of good behavior behind him.

I know it doesn't really matter, since Morris will likely miss this week with injury, but it's still ridiculous.

WHE got subbed off injured the other incidents both players continued playing...

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Greater Western Sydney Football Club, the incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), high impact (three points) and body contact (one point). This is a total of six activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level Three Offence, drawing 225 demerit points. He has an existing six-year good record, reducing the penalty by 25 per cent to 168.75 points and a one-match sanction. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 126.56 points and a one-match sanction.

The high impact is a bit BS IMO medium at best but he's lucky could of went for 2 weeks IF he didn't have a clean record

Whutt I would have thought everyone would admit it was deplorable. However, it was a great comeback and I'm proud of the guys. Remember GWS beat Sydney so they are no walkovers.

There was ample evidence of this boards disaffection with proceedings, on display in first 10 or so pages of the game day thread.

Pesky facts.

Buts it's funny how very few are as willing to admit that the first half quarter was deplorable and only bother with the result
Fixed it for you :) (as posted last night). We kicked 16 goals to 7 after quarter time.

Because life isn't fair.

The world is fine for me but i appreciate the offer mate

But why bother wasting all that cash just sort me out a bottle of Macca cool aid and I'll be delusional straight away ;)

It is good stuff, give it a go , it's done wonders for me. Apparently Tutt was put on a course of it for a week and look what it has done for him !
And as for Macca , I don't care what you say ,he is the real Messiah , I should know I've followed a few.:drunk:

Hey King Harold mate. Been meaning to ask, whether your opinion on Tutt's skills have changed any. I think in space he can be an Eagleton like player who can really hurt with his kicking depth (evidenced by his awesome long goal), he just needs to make the right decision with the ball in hand especially under pressure.
Just asking as you've been a fair and honest critic of his and maybe my glasses are a little rose-tinted.

Wasn't talking about Macca and in fact never mentioned him only the others on here that seem to ignore that facts

But let's not let the truth get in the way of your story shall we

The point is that even the coach admitted that the first 30 minutes was rubbish.

Did you have a look at the match day thread - supporters were losing their s**t over our early performance? How can you claim that McCartney supporters are ignoring our poor start - you just make s**t up regardless of the truth.

Get your head around the reality that everyone, including the coach, thought our first quarter was rubbish. Also understand that after the poor start we smashed GWS - outscoring them 16 goals to 7 (thanks dogwatch ).

If you want to see Koby's 'weapons' watch the St.Kilda game from last season. He is explosive, strong & damaging. He does need to work on his consistency but the potential is definitely there.
I did see that game, and he wasn't showing off his weapons in that match, he was just having a really good game,

The whole point of a weapon is being able to use it consistently, regardless of whether you're a consistently good player in general. I'm sure Brent Harvey's kicked the ball 70 meters a few times in his career, but that doesn't make his long kicking a weapon because he can't kick it that far on a consistent basis. Shannon Hurn on the other hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back