Review Dees v Gary Ablett Jr and the Gold Coast Suns - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McDonald ,Terlich, Bail, Georgiou, Spencer, Evans and Jordie. That's seven guys that can't use the ball up to standard. Say you're random Melbourne player X and you've just taken a mark in the back pocket and you look up for options. Chances are at least 4 of those guys are within kicking distance, it's worse if one of those guys is the guy who already has it. Big Tom is obviously a keeper despite his shocker today, the other guys are fill ins I can't wait to see the back of.

GOOD-
* Dawes' leadership is excellent, we need someone like him up forward.
* Jones is elite
* Frawley was excellent up forward again
* 8 points flatters us, but we were in it.
* Garland to come in, hopefully Jamar/Gawn can have an impact, and it would be great to see where Hogan is at the end of the year, there's positive signs for the Dees.

BAD
* Felt like we lapsed in concentration/effort in the second quarter, we really need to be "on" 100% of the time to be competitive. I expect more from a Roos-led squad in this regard. We looked great at points in the last quarter, really need to be consistent and take the game on the whole time.
* Jack Watts, not his best game, there's still time though.
* Terlich's disposal is s**t
* Decision making... we looked slow deciding which option to take and when we took our time the pressure just mounted.

UGLY
* I don't usually rant and rave at umpires but there were so many bad calls, especially in the last. Even the commentators on Channel 7 pointed out how lucky Ablett was.

McDonald ,Terlich, Bail, Georgiou, Spencer, Evans and Jordie. That's seven guys that can't use the ball up to standard. Say you're random Melbourne player X and you've just taken a mark in the back pocket and you look up for options. Chances are at least 4 of those guys are within kicking distance, it's worse if one of those guys is the guy who already has it. Big Tom is obviously a keeper despite his shocker today, the other guys are fill ins I can't wait to see the back of.
James Strauss was in the best for Casey this week. Might be time to give him a go? One of the best kicks at the club but has just shown zero heart in his games at AFL level. Defensive efforts aren't that great either. Hopefully that's changed under Roos...

McDonald ,Terlich, Bail, Georgiou, Spencer, Evans and Jordie. That's seven guys that can't use the ball up to standard.

Agreed.

You could handle a couple of those blokes but 7 is way too many in the modern game. Those sorts of names are depth at best but not starting 22 week in week out.

Agreed.

You could handle a couple of those blokes but 7 is way too many in the modern game. Those sorts of names are depth at best but not starting 22 week in week out.
It's killing us. When we have 2 or 3 turnovers in short period of time the team gets paralysed by fear and turns into a Neeld team. It's a great sign they fought through it but it's going to keep happening until we get some skilled guys in.

Agreed.

I would be happy to add Cross and Grimes to that who arent better than average kicks, thats 9 of your 18 who arent better than average and then Howe, Dawes, Frawley, Pedo etc who are average

Unfortunately we have more in the 2s, Nicholson for one.

Unfortunately we have more in the 2s, Nicholson for one.
There's less there now, most of the challenges for a game in the twos can kick at least decently. Toumpas, Salem, Strauss, Clisby? Hogan eventually.

I would be happy to add Cross and Grimes to that who arent better than average kicks, thats 9 of your 18 who arent better than average and then Howe, Dawes, Frawley, Pedo etc who are average
Grimes is ok as long as he sticks to defense. When he utensils it up further down the ground it is frustrating though.

Howe is one of our best kicks to space. Sometimes his target kicking isn't the best though I agree.

There's less there now, most of the challenges for a game in the twos can kick at least decently. Toumpas, Salem, Strauss, Clisby? Hogan eventually.
Trengove, Blease and Tapscott are all very good kicks too. It's a conundrum because what these players lack is physicality and heart (except Trengove, Clisby and Salem), which the players who can't kick have in spades.

Last edited:
Howe is one of our best kicks to space. Sometimes his target kicking isn't the best though I agree.
Those kicks into space are supposed to hit targets.

Trengove, Blease and Tapscott are all very good kicks too. It's a conundrum because what these players lack is physicality and heart, which the players who can't kick have in spades.

If you could mash Rohan Bail Or Pickles Evans into Jack Watts you would have an outstanding footballer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those kicks into space are supposed to hit targets.
No, Im talking about when we get a turnover and our players are flooding back towards goal (forward) - he can get good distance for the forward to run onto. It is his place kicking that is a worry at times to leading players.

Wouldn't say Trengove lacks physicality or heart.
Yeah I was going to throw in a bit in brackets saying (not in reference to/except for Trengove) but couldn't be stuffed and just hoped no one would call me out on it. So thanks ;) But yeah, just the rest. He got lumped in

Trengove, Blease and Tapscott are all very good kicks too. It's a conundrum because what these players lack is physicality and heart, which the players who can't kick have in spades.
Not holding my breath on those guys. Maybe Trengove will be resurrected, Blease needs to be in track and field, Tappy has looked like a VFL player for the most part and not a great one at that.

Not holding my breath on those guys. Maybe Trengove will be resurrected, Blease needs to be in track and field, Tappy has looked like a VFL player for the most part and not a great one at that.
Blease had 13 touches to half time in the seconds apparently, not sure what his game was like. Infuriating having to wait for Casey stats.

No, Im talking about when we get a turnover and our players are flooding back towards goal (forward) - he can get good distance for the forward to run onto. It is his place kicking that is a worry at times to leading players.

He hass penetration on his kicking like a Dunn or a Tapscott, He just isnt anything special at hitting a lead up target

We only have a couple of players who can kick a ball lace out to someone regularly, too often our kicking allows the opposition to come in an spoil
Coming out of defence it is clear we struggle to get it coast to coast if we have to go slowly because we cant hit 4-5 targets in a row unless there is a great contested mark taken by Howe/Frawley/Dawes/Pedo etc

Bit harsh to say Georgiou isn't up to it, he's in his first year and doing pretty well for a kid trying to hold down a key position.

Also Grimes had very good position for most of the day, got caught out one or two times but he defended very well for the most part.

Maybe a bit harsh on Grimes due to a few costly attempted spoil/marks at crucial points but sticking with my opinion of Georgiou. He's an honest trier but there's a reason why it has taken him until this age to play at AFL level. He's just not good enough and there's next to no chance he would be getting a game at any other team. Poor disposal, poor body on body defender and poor defending the lead. I feel as a defender you need to be good at at least one or two of those key areas e.g. McDonald who has average disposal but is (usually) very good with the other aspects.

too often our kicking allows the opposition to come in an spoil
Its a major problem and it occurs for a multitude of reasons. Obviously our spot kicking is very bad, no question. But we are also too pedestrian in our movement and predictable. Some times we expect to much from passes because the player down the ground hasn't got enough separation from their opponent.

What exacerbates this is we are also too target centric. Too often we kick too direct rather than putting out in front for a player to run onto and protect. When going forward we also don't kick to the hot-spot or to advantage enough. We go for low percentage pin-point passes on the lead in the pockets.

We can't fix our kicking over night, and there were some howlers, but we can fix our work rate (working to space) and try to run the ball more and find forwards in space with quick movement.

As for coming out of defense, some times the kick long mantra is the only way to go ala Collingwood in their prime 2010 but we try to be too cute and get killed on the turnover. The irony is, the more you mix it up, the more you keep the opposition guessing and you'll start getting players on their own for the short pass. Do it all the time and you'll pay unless you have Hawthorn like skills.

Although we need to address all of this, it doesn't change the fact we need better ball users under pressure.

Its a major problem and it occurs for a multitude of reasons. Obviously our spot kicking is very bad, no question. But we are also too pedestrian in our movement and predictable. Some times we expect to much from passes because the player down the ground hasn't got enough separation from their opponent.

What exacerbates this is we are also too target centric. Too often we kick too direct rather than putting out in front for a player to run onto and protect. When going forward we also don't kick to the hot-spot or to advantage enough. We go for low percentage pin-point passes on the lead in the pockets.

We can't fix our kicking over night, and there were some howlers, but we can fix our work rate (working to space) and try to run the ball more and find forwards in space with quick movement.

As for coming out of defense, some times the kick long mantra is the only way to go ala Collingwood in their prime 2010 but we try to be too cute and get killed on the turnover. The irony is, the more you mix it up, the more you keep the opposition guessing and you'll start getting players on their own for the short pass. Do it all the time and you'll pay unless you have Hawthorn like skills.

Although we need to address all of this, it doesn't change the fact we need better ball users under pressure.

Apart from Frawley none of our blokes were really busting a guy to demand the footy on the lead, or work hard enough to be able to recieve a short chip over the top

They are still trying to shake the old habits of Neeld in sticking to the boundary and Id reckon you would find 50% of our entries went to the pocket which just isnt efficient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back