Review Dees v Gary Ablett Jr and the Gold Coast Suns - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comrades, Supermercado and I will be watching this blockbuster from a superbox at the 'G. I'm predicting a crowd of 102,000 and GAJ to rack up 60 possessions by quarter-time.

Please share your thoughts after the game!

Comrades, Supermercado and I will be watching this blockbuster from a superbox at the 'G. I'm predicting a crowd of 102,000 and GAJ to rack up 60 possessions by quarter-time.

Please share your thoughts after the game!

If there is less than 100,000 and a 60 point win for us ill spit on Paul roos*

*image on the telly and then apologise

No im expecting a carryover of the effort from the last round, Im not expecting a win but I am expecting them to tackle and bring the pressure and attack when we have the chance, if they drop back into there 'oh we can't win this' mode ill be very dissapointed

Me too, I had a feeling about last weeks game, to be fair I say that every week that I arrive at the ground, but I'll tell you what, I've got a feeling about this game

If there is less than 100,000 and a 60 point win for us ill spit on Paul roos*
Im not expecting a win but I am expecting them to tackle and bring the pressure and attack when we have the chance, if they drop back into there 'oh we can't win this' mode ill be very dissapointed
Exactly,

Like i said in the 'important stats' thread, when our tackles are up, we are usually either in front or close to it no matter who the opponents. Today I'd like three things to make the "Good."

1) Limit Ablett. Obvious I know, but if I see him 20m clear racking up easy touches when being 'tagged' I'm going to be displeased.
2) 80 tackles - that will mean our intensity is up - we had 84 last week and average high 60s.
3) Take chances when they present themselves. No missing set shots from directly in front (young Rohan, I'm looking at you). If we're going to lose, I don't really want it to be because of kicking 6 points in a row in the 3rd quarter instead of 6 goals.

Things I'd love to not see in "Fugly."

1) Jetta
2) Too much handballing to stationary team mates
3) Giving away the first goal of the game with a 50 ir before we have had a possession

Sneaky chance today i reckon

Me too, I had a feeling about last weeks game, to be fair I say that every week that I arrive at the ground, but I'll tell you what, I've got a feeling about this game

I actually bet on us last week (didnt tip us in the tipping comp though) - got a nice little multi across the line..

I wont bet on us this week, and I tipped against us - but I do reckon Roos will have us up and about to back up last week with a good contest. If Frawley has another big game, we are every chance.

3) Giving away the first goal of the game with a 50 ir before we have had a possession
Honestly, I was cheering at the TV when Spencer gave away that 50 at the beginning of the game. After hearing Nathan Jones talk about how Mitch Robinson's words still play on his mind in regards to Melbourne playing bruise free footy, I was hoping Melbourne would come out aggressive. I knew when they went straight for Murphy at the first bounce that it would be a good game to watch.

Honestly, I was cheering at the TV when Spencer gave away that 50 at the beginning of the game. After hearing Nathan Jones talk about how Mitch Robinson's words still play on his mind in regards to Melbourne playing bruise free footy, I was hoping Melbourne would come out aggressive. I knew when they went straight for Murphy at the first bounce that it would be a good game to watch.

I know what you mean but I still think there are ways to show your intentions to be hard at it without costing the team goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know what you mean but I still think there are ways to show your intentions to be hard at it without costing the team goals.

I always found this attitude strange in that its all on the umpires interpretation, 50% of the time that is let go and theres no free kick so then the players is applauded, however if the umpire pulls a 50 out of his ass then you cost your team a goal

Spencer gave away a free kick, whoever threw the ball back is who gave away the 50 m penalty

I always found this attitude strange in that its all on the umpires interpretation, 50% of the time that is let go and theres no free kick so then the players is applauded, however if the umpire pulls a 50 out of his ass then you cost your team a goal

Spencer gave away a free kick, whoever threw the ball back is who gave away the 50 m penalty
It was cross I think.

Understand what people are saying about being aggressive but we really don't need to be gifting sides goals and immediately being on the back foot. We will give up goals without just handing them 50s. We all know we will, so let's not make it easier for them than it needs to be. I know, how about we win the first centre clearance and get the first goal before the other team has had a possession. Wouldn't that just be great?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Horrific worrying signs from our midfield against theirs. First half is similar to the Neeld years of conceding huge numbers of possessions, inside 50s, tackles etc

Contested footy is the most worrying aspect, Only Jones Cross and Viney look like being able to really win a one on one contest

Horrific worrying signs from our midfield against theirs. First half is similar to the Neeld years of conceding huge numbers of possessions, inside 50s, tackles etc
Yep, but we've definitely improved since the Neeld era. This game would have been 10+ goal defeat last year, not 8 points.

Dawes, Chippa and Chunk can all hold there heads up.

Persist with JKH. We have something there guys, he is still raw, but has serious talent.

3-4 easily gettable goals were missed and cost us dearly.

Umpiring was abysmal. That Ablett free kick was appalling.

Jetta, Watts and all the usual passengers were out today. Surprise, surprise. Useless.

Good:
- The game looked like blowing out to 10+ goal defeat before half time. Final margin 8 points with some very questionable umpiring decisions going against us. That's massive improvement from last season (but still disappointing).
- Dawes and Frawley: extremely wasteful, but they make us a significantly better side.
- Jack Viney: an absolute ripper.
- Nathan Jones: continued his good form.

Bad:
- Another loss.
- 2nd quarter, reminiscent of Neeld-era.
- Tom McDonald, played one of his worst games for the club.
- JKH: controversial, but I'm not convinced he'll make it yet.

Ugly:
- Jack Watts. I'm a fan, but that was piss-weak.

Good
- Jones and Dawes were great.
- Grimes defended very well again, got caught out a couple of times but overall very good.
- Howe back in the forward line, whaddya know he looked dangerous? It's almost as if he's a FORWARD!

Fugly
- Tom McDonald defended horribly today, don't think I saw at any stage that he was in good defending position.
- Dean Terlich and kicking don't mix.
- Gary Ablett is allowed God knows how many rotations before he's pinged for holding the ball and can run as far as he wants without bouncing.
- McKenzie is far too reckless, gives away countless silly frees because he can't control his arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back