Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - It's Never Too Soon edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/are-west-coast-headed-for-a-rebuild/tabid/91/newsid/139230/default.aspx

^ Another harsh and interesting writeup about the eagles.

According to Galileo, it was probably written by 'another' negative nancy like Eagle87

"On the whole though, the 2014 iteration of the Eagles is one of the least inspiring in club history, and their midfield is very possibly the worst in the entire league."

This is the reality of it and our trading and drafting needs to fix this even at the expense of our forward/defensive lines.

PS: Don't show that article to Tracker he will have a fit and call them to remove the article.

He had us taking the best available mid with our top-10 pick. There's not really any options that present themselves as a quick fix, unless you subscribe to one of the "just throw millions at Rockliff/Dangerfield/Fyfe and get them to break their contract" plans.
Yeah but what the point on acting so aggressively on our defensive line and taking such a soft approcah to our midfield when our midfield is s**t.

What changes would you make?

Listed them about 10 pages back. But I haven't listed any midfielders to be drafted or traded in. I admit I don't really know about players available etc etc and I wasn't having a go at Yamum... just seemed to have a lot of our defenders being delisted or traded and none of our midfielders being acted on.

I would offer up for trade either Kennedy or Lecras + either Masten/Selwood or Priddis for a top line midfielder and a second rounder someone like Andrew Swallow or OMeara (probably a dream). We have to be aggressive at the draft or we are in for ANOTHER gloomy season next year with the same midfield that has been rated the worst in the AFL. Our midfield really is a poor mix together.

In the case of Kennedy I know it's a big name in our side but you have to trade quality to get clubs interested and he is 27 so how many years has he got left? Someone like North might be interested in boosting their forward line given they are in the eight and consider themselves a chance for top 4.
They may not be interested in Lecras but we have an abundance of forwards and defenders.
Even consider Schofield or Brown for trade and develop another tall defender. We don't seem to have any problem developing forwards or defenders but midfielders is our Achillies heel and given that is where you win flags from, it's where we need to be aggressive.

Some have suggested Darling for trade but I wouldn't do it. He is at the beginning of his career and will be a good 10 year player for us.

just seemed to have a lot of our defenders being delisted or traded and none of our midfielders being acted on.
If our midfield is such a problem, why would we further weaken it? Yeah, they can offload Priddis/Masto/Everyone else that you hate, but what does that achieve? Nothing.
I would offer up for trade either Kennedy or Lecras + either Masten/Selwood or Priddis for a top line midfielder and a second rounder someone like Andrew Swallow or OMeara (probably a dream). We have to be aggressive at the draft or we are in for ANOTHER gloomy season next year with the same midfield that has been rated the worst in the AFL.
So one of our spud midfielders nets us a top of the line O'Meara? We're not this 'aggressive' because GC would laugh that offer away. Easy for you to suggest it on an online forum and think you're a genius, but you're so far from the mark.

If our midfield is such a problem, why would we further weaken it? Yeah, they can offload Priddis/Masto/Everyone else that you hate, but what does that achieve? Nothing.

So one of our spud midfielders nets us a top of the line O'Meara? We're not this 'aggressive' because GC would laugh that offer away. Easy for you to suggest it on an online forum and think you're a genius, but you're so far from the mark.

You say "one of our spud midfielders" which I assume you are referring to the 3 I mentioned (Priddis, Masten and Selwood, who are the mainstays of our midfield) then question if our midfield is such a problem. :rolleyes:

Our midfield mix is a problem. It's weak as it is. Changing it won't make it any weaker than it is.
If you think it doesn't need changing you have been living under a rock.
Oh that's right, you are the one that said you haven't watched a game all year right? There's your reason then, you haven't witnessed our midfield shitness.

I also added in Kennedy to the deal which clubs would take notice of, maybe GC or North. Who knows.

Never said I think I am a genius bud, just trying to address the issues in our side and contribute to the thread.

I dont think you really understood what the bloke was saying so I will say it a different way and maybe you will get your head around it.

Kennedy/Lecras + Masten/Selwood/Priddis for a top line midfielder.

Im totally for trading out a high profile forward such as kennedy and 1 of our spud mids for a young future star especially seeing that the gov is a natural footballer.

just seemed to have a lot of our defenders being delisted or traded and none of our midfielders being acted on.

I would offer up for trade either Kennedy or Lecras + either Masten/Selwood or Priddis for a top line midfielder and a second rounder someone like Andrew Swallow or OMeara (probably a dream). We have to be aggressive at the draft or we are in for ANOTHER gloomy season next year with the same midfield that has been rated the worst in the AFL. Our midfield really is a poor mix together.

That's the problem, there pretty much isn't anyone left available that would instantly improve our midfield. Someone like Bennell would have been nice before he re-signed. The reason it's mostly defenders being delisted is that we have a big surplus of them and there's a few coming out of contract. We don't have the depth of midfielders to be delisting any unless they're clearly not up to it. They're pretty much all serviceable but not superstars.

Anyway, can you really see Gold Coast agreeing to trade O'Meara for Kennedy and Selwood, let alone throwing in a second rounder for us? They lose a probable future superstar mid for a serviceable mid and a good key forward who will just push out another of their good (younger) key forwards in Lynch, Dixon and Day. Not much for them in that.

Don't think you'll have much luck convincing contracted players like Kennedy or LeCras to move interstate either.

I dont think you really understood what the bloke was saying so I will say it a different way and maybe you will get your head around it.

Im totally for trading out a high profile forward such as kennedy and 1 of our spud mids for a young future star especially seeing that the gov is a natural footballer.

That's the problem, there pretty much isn't anyone left available that would instantly improve our midfield. Someone like Bennell would have been nice before he re-signed. The reason it's mostly defenders being delisted is that we have a big surplus of them and there's a few coming out of contract. We don't have the depth of midfielders to be delisting any unless they're clearly not up to it. They're pretty much all serviceable but not superstars.

Anyway, can you really see Gold Coast agreeing to trade O'Meara for Kennedy and Selwood, let alone throwing in a second rounder for us? They lose a probable future superstar mid for a serviceable mid and a good key forward who will just push out another of their good (younger) key forwards in Lynch, Dixon and Day. Not much for them in that.

Don't think you'll have much luck convincing contracted players like Kennedy or LeCras to move interstate either.
Just because a player has signed a new contract doesn't mean they cant still be traded

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You say "one of our spud midfielders" which I assume you are referring to the 3 I mentioned (Priddis, Masten and Selwood, who are the mainstays of our midfield) then question if our midfield is such a problem. :rolleyes:

Our midfield mix is a problem. It's weak as it is. Changing it won't make it any weaker than it is.
If you think it doesn't need changing you have been living under a rock.
I never questioned whether our midfield is a problem. I understand that it absolutely is. However what would moving on Priddis/Masten/Selwood achieve? Lucky enough to get a second rounder? I think I'd rather the status quo than taking a chance on a random pick in the mid 20's.

We address our problem by taking the best midfielder available in the draft at our pick. We will also gain Waterman. There will also be another year of development into Sheed. These things aren't fixed overnight, 'bud'.

No, you don't understand what he said. He said Kennedy/Lecca + Spud mid for a gun mid and 2nd round pick. Dreaming.

I think I'd rather the status quo than taking a chance on a random pick in the mid 20's.

Seems like our recruiting department thinks the same - maybe they cannot/wont back themselves in to identify those gems in the 20s. FWIW this line of thinking is, in my opinion, why we are so (dare I say it) vanilla and why the likes of Smith, McInnes, McGinnity, Sinclair, Wilson, to name a few, remain on our list.

Our recruiting and development really needs an overhaul.

No, you don't understand what he said. He said Kennedy/Lecca + Spud mid for a gun mid and 2nd round pick. Dreaming.

So you don't think North would part with Swallow for Kennedy+Priddis?
Given that Priddis is apparently in line for the Brownlow and Petrie is 32 this year and may be nearing the end? Plus they have more depth in their midfield.

You wouldn't?

Given that Priddis is apparently in line for the Brownlow and Petrie is 32 this year and may be nearing the end? Plus they have more depth in their midfield.

You wouldn't?

I wouldn't, that's greatly over paying for Swallow.

You wouldn't?
Swallow isn't a big enough upgrade on priddis to justify throwing Kennedy into the mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back