2nds Collingwood vs Box Hill Hawks - Vic Park - 1pm Saturday (not TV game, some radio coverage)

Remove this Banner Ad

I got there during the 2nd Q so didn't see the whole match but I thought Young , Ball and Kennedy were the clear standouts. All would deserve a recall to the seniors if it came. This is how I saw them

Kennedy - Was everywhere and ran the game out. His goal in the last Q, a long snap from the boundary, came when the game looked to be slipping. I m becoming a fan and would lave to see him get a good run in the seniors without being a sub. Surprised he is in the VFL this week and he looks AFL.

Ball- Senior player which big reputation returning via the 2's. Expect him to glide around doing the star bits and leave the rest for the young blokes." Like Hell" says Bally. He threw himself in like their was no tomorrow. Tackling, chasing , barging to the end. Was one of the ones who dragged us back in the last minutes. It was typical Ball and even though he is near the end I think he offers enough to play 1's. Not sure about next year but if anything watching him today made me love him more.

Young - Did everything you could ask today. Ran and ran, some great smothers and tackles and set up a lot of play. Still some mistakes but the good stuff was much more. Great in last Q. He is who he is. I think he has been the player I expected this year. Showcased what he has to offer. Think he is contracted next year and will remain near best 22. I am happy if a lot of youngsters go past him but it hasn't happened yet. He is part of the depth we have.

Scharenberg - he has missed a year of footy. Like everyone I wanted to see him today. No surprise he is still well underdone. Played half back, made a couple of spoils, got involved in a few chains. 3 kicks I saw him get all ended in Box Hill intercept marks. He needs time and no expectation. Not at all worried about where he is at , to be expected.

Clarke- loved Marty early days. Now he is an okay VFL standard footballer playing his last year at Collingwood. Was fairly prominent today, ran well, tried hard. Thanks for the effort.

Yagmoor- looks good at times, still not doing enough. Don't think he is doing enough to stay on list.

Gault- did quiet a few good things today. Pack mark and goal to ice the game. Is mobile and not bad hands. Looked okay when rucking. No doubt has come on this year even with limited prep. If it works would love to see him get another year.

Ramsay- runs well creates abit, defends hard. Probably just doesn't stand out enough with any of these things. Can't see him at AFL level. Looks serviceable VFL today.

Grundy- tried hard, looked buggared at the end. Goo dish ruck work esp to BenKen. No enough marking and was shaded by Ceglar for mine

Thomas- pretty good, typical strong inside game but not as prominent as the other ones who have returned from the AFL.

Karnesis- can kick goals and an attacking player. Still didn't do enough of that today to balance out the lack of defensive effort. Can snag goals and build up a reputation at VFL level but like the other times I have watched this year just doesn't do enough the other way. Suspect would be a liability at AFL level this year. Hopefully someone can challenge him in the offseason and he has a big pre season. 2015 will be the year for us to know if he has what it takes.

Sinclair- maybe faded a bit late but has missed a bit. Was impressive. Great run out of the Backline. He has a bit of poise at this level . Also is a good field kick. Keeps this form and he may make an AFL return before the year is out. Scraps hard and you have to like that .

Q Stick- was vocal and tried hard. Didn't do much really but again love that he is back out there giving it his best when retirement seems v close. May not have worked out at Collingwood how he hoped but A for his effort

Marsh- tried hard and can run. Was beaten fairly often one on one today. Not his best effort but again not for lack of effort. A work in progress, not sure if he has the goods to make it but has more time.

Mooney- love the Irsih and also had high hopes for Mooney. This has faded. Quiet today, doesn't look up to it. He will need to be a lot better than he was today if he is to threaten.

Last edited:

It is no doubt. I'm just frustrated that he isn't in the AFL team. I think his best 21 (not sub).
Yep he looked the part today. Want to see him get more AFL time this year. Think he has only started once this year and looked great. Doesn't make sense. Also I thought he looked great in the pre season games and was surprised he didn't get games early.

Good report M123. Great to have kick with the kids at Vic Park!!

This is probably going to sound over the top but of all players in this match Marsh will end up being the best. You can have your Kennedy, Grundy etc- I'll take Marsh. This kid will be a freak. People bag his disposal but it is already better than quite a few playing tomorrow and has time to improve even further.

He also doesn't mind it a bit tough. Big call but I reckon he will play many many high level senior games for us.

Good report M123. Great to have kick with the kids at Vic Park!!

This is probably going to sound over the top but of all players in this match Marsh will end up being the best. You can have your Kennedy, Grundy etc- I'll take Marsh. This kid will be a freak. People bag his disposal but it is already better than quite a few playing tomorrow and has time to improve even further.

He also doesn't mind it a bit tough. Big call but I reckon he will play many many high level senior games for us.

Brave call. Like your confidence. Marsh is exciting, but a long way to go. Have you seen him much this year, and on that basis do see a steady improvement?

Kennedy BOG for mine. Was the most dynamic player on the ground. Accumulated the ball at will. Kicked 2 goals and could've had 4. Was standing in the forward pocket where he was when the siren went. He let out an almighty roar of joy. Was great to see his passion which I think is sometimes reserved at senior level, maybe because he feels it's not his place...but would love to see it next time he's promoted. Based on today, it should be next week. For all those fitness doubters, he was running on top of the ground at the end of the game and had the greatest influence in the second half. HE IS FIT ENOUGH FOR FULL GAMES OF AFL!

Ball was excellent. A real leader when the game was on the line. Unfortunately was unable to capitalise on a few shots on goal for Luke Ball reasons however all round great game. Ball gave exactly what you expect which is why we all love him.

Young was also very good. As much as I was all for his omission he really looked a class above. Actually put his head over it and body on the line on several occasions. Also racked up quite a few touches. Will definitely be in line for recall.

Special note for Scharenberg - he WILL NOT play this year. Couldn't have blown out a candle through periods of the third and last quarters despite not coming on until the 2nd quarter. Really gasping which is hardly surprising seeing as his lead in has been 4 weeks of training and a half of footy. No fitness base. On a positive side, before he blew himself up, he would work really hard to stay with his man when they lead for the ball. What this meant was that because he was checking his opponent so tightly the Box Hill players would never look at his opponent as an option. This meant the ball was in his vicinity slightly less. A few of our seniors could learn from this - too often I see our seniors give their opponents a few meters then react, or worse still, assume their ... Schazza wasn't allowing it.

Grundy- tried hard, looked buggared at the end. Goo dish ruck work esp to BenKen. No enough marking and was shaded by Ceglar for mine

Give it a Draw. Neither did much

Scharenberg - he has missed a year of footy. Like everyone I wanted to see him today. No surprise he is still well underdone. Played half back, made a couple of spoils, got involved in a few chains. 3 kicks I saw him get all ended in Box Hill intercept marks. He needs time and no expectation. Not at all worried about where he is at , to be expected.

2 of those Kicks that went to Box Hill was because the Guys he Kicked to never attacked the Ball.

Did some very good Handballs in Contested Situations

Great win by the boys, 7 points down into time on and we looked gone, up stepped Bally, Kennedy and Young (who had all been good so far) and they just pounded the ball forward and we kicked the last 3 goals. Still a top 4 chance even now, great win.

Short review of each player;

4; Grundy; I thought he dominated the ruck but didn't do a heap around the ground, had a better second half than first half though, Better than Ceglar overall.
7; Kennedy; Decent first half but absolutely brilliant second half, we don't win that game without BK playing, he ran the game out sensationally well.
9; CLarke; At times you wouldn't have known he was out there, didn't do much at all.
12; Ball; Lifted the team late when it needed lifting. Won the hard ball all day, typical Luke Ball, too good for that level.
14; Young; Our most consistent player of the day, kept running, kept using it well most of the time and was a key to us winning, comes back into the seniors.
21; Lynch; Battled up forward, didn't do much.
24; Thomas; Ended the game better than he started but really should be doing more at this level. Will end up looking ok possession wise but didn't impact the game enough.
28; Sinclair; Brilliant at times then went missing at others, of course that was because his fitness isn't up yet. We've actually missed his type in the seniors.
31; Ramsay; Doesn't get beaten one on one too often but is a slow footballer, did ok without being good.
33; Karnezis; Kicked 2 goals today but one was a freebie, battled away but really looked short of a run.
35; Scharenberg; First time I've seen him live and even though he didn't do much his poise and intelligence will see him develop into an AFL player for sure.
38; Yagmoor, Did he even play? Ok, so he did ok defensively but if he had 10 possessions I'll be shocked
44; Gault; One of his better games for us, took a strong pack mark late and goaled to seal the game, rucked well too, I like how he's developing.
46; Marsh, I love this kid, quick, skillfull and learning how to play the game. Very good defensively today once again.
48; Mooney; Didn't do enough.

Of the VFL listed players Hellier, Williams, Ferguson and Matheson did well.

Handy win for the VFL season, almost certain to play finals now.

Great Reports.

Good Win considering Box Hill is 2nd on the ladder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a side note, Paul Licuria was present in the most astounding ensemble. I thought it was Zoolander, then saw his face inside a hood and said, "that's Licca" then looked at his quite incredible booties and thought, "no, this person played bass for Pseudo Echo", then I looked at his face again.

Did anyone cop the fat hawks bloke with the huge ball bag?? Must have had a tumour in his sack but either was he was a prick and I loved waving him goodbye when the siren went.

As a side note, Paul Licuria was present in the most astounding ensemble. I thought it was Zoolander, then saw his face inside a hood and said, "that's Licca" then looked at his quite incredible booties and thought, "no, this person played bass for Pseudo Echo", then I looked at his face again.

Loved your side show analysis of the Jitterbug. F**king Funny

Did anyone cop the fat hawks bloke with the huge ball bag?? Must have had a tumour in his sack but either was he was a prick and I loved waving him goodbye when the siren went.
Maybe someone can suggest using the Jitterbug & the Fat Ball Sack bloke to Eddie. Sounds like they would be more entertaining than the current Match Day half time shows that everyone criticises.

Sounds bleak in the VFL what's coming through. Ben Kennedy played well but it's not good enough for our chances to do anything to change what's happening with the senior team this season.

I got there during the 2nd Q so didn't see the whole match but I thought Young , Ball and Kennedy were the clear standouts. All would deserve a recall to the seniors if it came. This is how I saw them

Kennedy - Was everywhere and ran the game out. His goal in the last Q, a long snap from the boundary, came when the game looked to be slipping. I m becoming a fan and would lave to see him get a good run in the seniors without being a sub. Surprised he is in the VFL this week and he looks AFL.

Ball- Senior player which big reputation returning via the 2's. Expect him to glide around doing the star bits and leave the rest for the young blokes." Like Hell" says Bally. He threw himself in like their was no tomorrow. Tackling, chasing , barging to the end. Was one of the ones who dragged us back in the last minutes. It was typical Ball and even though he is near the end I think he offers enough to play 1's. Not sure about next year but if anything watching him today made me love him more.

Young - Did everything you could ask today. Ran and ran, some great smothers and tackles and set up a lot of play. Still some mistakes but the good stuff was much more. Great in last Q. He is who he is. I think he has been the player I expected this year. Showcased what he has to offer. Think he is contracted next year and will remain near best 22. I am happy if a lot of youngsters go past him but it hasn't happened yet. He is part of the depth we have.

Clarke- loved Marty early days. Now he is an okay VFL standard footballer playing his last year at Collingwood. Was fairly prominent today, ran well, tried hard. Thanks for the effort.

Yagmoor- looks good at times, still not doing enough. Don't think he is doing enough to stay on list.

Gault- did quiet a few good things today. Pack mark and goal to ice the game. Is mobile and not bad hands. Looked okay when rucking. No doubt has come on this year even with limited prep. If it works would love to see him get another year.

Ramsay- runs well creates abit, defends hard. Probably just doesn't stand out enough with any of these things. Can't see him at AFL level. Looks serviceable VFL today.

Thomas- pretty good, typical strong inside game but not as prominent as the other ones who have returned from the AFL.

Karnesis- can kick goals and an attacking player. Still didn't do enough of that today to balance out the lack of defensive effort. Can snag goals and build up a reputation at VFL level but like the other times I have watched this year just doesn't do enough the other way. Suspect would be a liability at AFL level this year. Hopefully someone can challenge him in the offseason and he has a big pre season. 2015 will be the year for us to know if he has what it takes.

Sinclair- maybe faded a bit late but has missed a bit. Was impressive. Great run out of the Backline. He has a bit of poise at this level . Also is a good field kick. Keeps this form and he may make an AFL return before the year is out. Scraps hard and you have to like that .

Q Stick- was vocal and tried hard. Didn't do much really but again love that he is back out there giving it his best when retirement seems v close. May not have worked out at Collingwood how he hoped but A for his effort

Marsh- tried hard and can run. Was beaten fairly often one on one today. Not his best effort but again not for lack of effort. A work in progress, not sure if he has the goods to make it but has more time.

Mooney- love the Irsih and also had high hopes for Mooney. This has faded. Quiet today, doesn't look up to it. He will need to be a lot better than he was today if he is to threaten.
A lot of delistings in a few weeks from that group.

Brave call. Like your confidence. Marsh is exciting, but a long way to go. Have you seen him much this year, and on that basis do see a steady improvement?
For me it's not anything to do with improvement and he still has got a way to go as you say. However he has the hardware that most don't. Strong at it, enjoys body contact, is quick, has good hands, an an x- factor and a long kick.

I definitely am no 'Nightmare' with my expertise in this area, he has me well covered, but Marsh just has it and I was impressed with what he did. Not best on ground by a long shot but you can just tell he will be a gun.

...Special note for Scharenberg - he WILL NOT play this year. Couldn't have blown out a candle through periods of the third and last quarters despite not coming on until the 2nd quarter. Really gasping which is hardly surprising seeing as his lead in has been 4 weeks of training and a half of footy. No fitness base. On a positive side, before he blew himself up, he would work really hard to stay with his man when they lead for the ball. What this meant was that because he was checking his opponent so tightly the Box Hill players would never look at his opponent as an option. This meant the ball was in his vicinity slightly less. A few of our seniors could learn from this - too often I see our seniors give their opponents a few meters then react, or worse still, assume their ... Schazza wasn't allowing it.
This ^ :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back