2nds Collingwood vs Box Hill Hawks - Vic Park - 1pm Saturday (not TV game, some radio coverage)

Remove this Banner Ad

4. Brodie Grundy
I’ll get skewered for this, but I actually think Grundy lost the matchup against Ceglar (and Lowden). In particular, Ceglar had the better of the hitouts and was far more influential in general play, coming across to spoil as a 3rd man in on many occasions and taking several good strong intercept marks, as well as dropping back into defence to help out and clunking the odd mark when able to sneak forward.

We also saw a re-emergence of ‘Bad Brodie’ during the game, namely his propensity to deck a bloke and give away a stupid 50m penalty. The only saving grace was that the offence occurred deep in our forward line, not theirs. Nevertheless, the coaching group need to give him a serve for (yet another) idiotic brain-snap. Having aggression means nothing if you’re constantly letting it get the better of you…

Don’t expect him to displace Witts on form at the moment.

I felt he lost the 1st Half but he had better 2nd half.

Also had 20 touches which is good to see him get more ball around the Ground.

35. Matthew Scharenberg
Looked every bit like an 18 year old who has missed 12 months of footy with foot injuries. Just couldn’t run and his normally elite disposal skills deserted him. I’m not in the slightest worried, because he’ll be better for the run, but patience is required. And again, he has an almost unnerving calm about him, a trait which will serve him well when he finally cracks into the seniors…

Don’t expect anything from him this year. He has no Fitness Base and is Buggerd in about 2 Minutes.

Kicking looked okay. 2 times he kicked to a player that did not attack the ball and just stood and waited for the Ball. The Box Hill Attacked the Ball and was Rewarded by getting the ball.

Did some very nice Handball when he was being Tackled

The coach did the review this week.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2014-08-05/vfl-tappings-player-review

A few that stand out;

7. Ben Kennedy
Statistics:
31 kicks, 5 marks, 7 handballs, 38 possessions, 9 clearances, 7 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 3 tacklesDale Tapping says: A very good game. Kenno worked hard inside the contest and his transition off the ball is continually getting better all the time. His ability to get forward 50 goals from stoppages is a real asset. He came back to the VFL with a really good mindset and attitude to perform well.

12. Luke Ball
Statistics:
16 kicks, 4 marks, 7 handballs, 23 possessions, 4 clearances, 2 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s, 10 tacklesDale Tapping says: A solid game. Luke’s contested footy and leadership was of the highest standard. He had some really good moments late in the game and he’ll benefit from 120 minutes of footy.

14. Clinton Young
Statistics:
23 kicks, 7 marks, 13 handballs, 36 possessions, 3 clearances, 5 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s, 7 tacklesDale Tapping says: A very good performance. Clinton played a really good role for us and some of his physical work with his tackling and running back with the flight was at an AFL standard.

And my boy;

46. Jonathon Marsh
Statistics:
12 kicks, 4 marks, 2 handballs, 14 disposals, 1 clearance, 1 inside 50, 2 rebound 50s, 1 tackleDale Tapping says: A good, strong performance again. Jonathon had important roles on both Luke Lowden and Sam Grimley who are really mobile types and he certainly showed that he is able to play on those types, which is pleasing to see. He’s progressing really well and is developing really good habits as a defender.

Can't agree with that. Cegs kicked a goal when forward but was largely ineffectual around the ground. Grundy's tackling and work around the stoppages was much better.

Thanks for telling us what you sore. Glad that he around the ground work has Improved.

You can tell in the stats where he is getting 20+ Touches in the last 2 weeks

It's not earth shattering news, but I was pleased to see ex-Collingwood Rookie Michael Hartley (now with Coburg in the VFL) has been invited to the AFL State Draft Combine. Obviously he's had a better run with injuries there than he had with us and is now playing good football. At least a couple of clubs must have nominated him for him to be given an invitation, so it will be interesting to see whether somebody gives him another chance.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-04/state-combines-named?utm_medium=RSS

Can't agree with that. Cegs kicked a goal when forward but was largely ineffectual around the ground. Grundy's tackling and work around the stoppages was much better.

It's a free(ish) country.

Ceglar won the hitout count (32 to 24) and, for mine, was more useful with his taps than Grundy. Ceglar also kicked 2 goals, not 1.

For mine, though, I felt Ceglar was quite influential in general play, with 6 tackles to Grundy's 4, as well as 6 marks to Grundy's 3 and plenty of spoils coming in either as the 3rd man in a marking contest or leaving his opponent to affect what would otherwise have been an uncontested mark to us.

And, to my recollection, Ceglar didn't give away any stupid frees or 50s. Grundy did, al beit in the forward 50 instead of the back 50.

I'm not saying all this to re-open that particular debate, because I supported the decision to de-list Ceglar at the time (and still do). I just think he was the better ruckman on the day. No harm in that, because I think Grundy will by far become the better of the two (eventually)...

Ceglar won the hitout count (32 to 24) and, for mine, was more useful with his taps than Grundy. Ceglar also kicked 2 goals, not 1.

For mine, though, I felt Ceglar was quite influential in general play, with 6 tackles to Grundy's 4, as well as 6 marks to Grundy's 3 and plenty of spoils coming in either as the 3rd man in a marking contest or leaving his opponent to affect what would otherwise have been an uncontested mark to us.

And, to my recollection, Ceglar didn't give away any stupid frees or 50s. Grundy did, al beit in the forward 50 instead of the back 50.

I'm not saying all this to re-open that particular debate, because I supported the decision to de-list Ceglar at the time (and still do). I just think he was the better ruckman on the day. No harm in that, because I think Grundy will by far become the better of the two (eventually)...
No of course, I wasn't saying your opinion is wrong, I was just expressing my own.

Might have just been where I was standing because I didn't notice him that much.

Nice write up by the way!

Where you getting these Stats?

Grundy had 6 Clearances, 21 Touches. That is good Numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back