Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to be fair, those who wore the second jumper did so bearing a burden bought about by the actions of some of those behind the first.
Perhaps the second should be cut a little slack.
It's only a burden when you aren't good enough to live up to it.

I wonder how you'll feel when we lose to GWS in the old jumper.
How I normally would.

You're likely to be in the minority there.

HeritageGuernseyLaunchArticle_620X370.jpg
wbSPORTLIFEblues_narrowweb__300x330,0.jpg

This or that.......................No contest for mine.

It's gotta happen! :thumbsu:
I don't dislike the newer design, but when I see the traditional emblem, my heart skips a beat. It's harder, it's sharper, it's not a soft cuddly design. I love it! :hearts::)

That newer design has it's place in the club crest, with the laurel wreath and the motto.

One jumper was worn by the most successful club/team in the AFL that won more premierships than any other and never won a wooden spoon.

The other Jumper was worn by a team that achieved mediocre results at best, never won a premiership, won plenty of spoons or got close to doing so, cheated the salary cap and became a laughing stock. Just a poor attempt to modernise, which was the style at the time.

It's a no brainer, bring back the traditional one.
In the VFL you mean.

Yep, it's 30 years ago. The reasoning for wearing the traditional strip is ridiculous. Does anybody actually think we will play any better because we're wearing that strip?

I don't mind either way, I like the traditional one.

Let's not kid ourselves though, this is all about being nostalgic over a successful period 30-45 years ago.

In the VFL you mean.

Yep, it's 30 years ago. The reasoning for wearing the traditional strip is ridiculous. Does anybody actually think we will play any better because we're wearing that strip?

Let's not kid ourselves though, this is all about being nostalgic over a successful period 30-45 years ago.

Some people like tradition. Im not a fan of changing the jumper - the single biggest symbol of our 150 year old club that we have - every other goddamn season. the jumper should be sacrosanct. No clash versions, no alternative strips. just THE jumper.

And the AFL and the VFL are the same competition with a simple name change.

In the VFL you mean.

A cynic knows the price of everything but the value of nothing. Let us old fogies enjoy nostalgia. God only knows we don't have a lot else.

Some people like tradition. Im not a fan of changing the jumper - the single biggest symbol of our 150 year old club that we have - every other goddamn season. the jumper should be sacrosanct. No clash versions, no alternative strips. just THE jumper.

Tradition is a matter of perspective - our jumper has been evolving since day one. The logo too.

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=guernsey+history

I understand that. The VFL reference was to illustrate just how long ago that period was.

I enjoy tradition. What I don't enjoy is going back to the 80's logo just because we were a good team back then. If we fail badly in this new jumper, will that not effect the way people fondly remember the design?

If it's a decision based solely on the way the jumper looks - fine, I agree. If it's because we used to be successful 40 years ago - that I don't agree with.

To me the old emblem is representative of a period of success, pride, justified arrogance, and dominance. It's the same as WCE feel about the wings or Brisbane about the old lion. It's not about going back just because we were a good team then, it's about recognising and representing our past successes and heroes.

Also, it looks ******* awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me the old emblem is representative of a period of success, pride, justified arrogance, and dominance. It's the same as WCE feel about the wings or Brisbane about the old lion. It's not about going back just because we were a good team then, it's about recognising and representing our past successes and heroes.

It's also representative of the attitude that sent the club to the wall. Lets not ever forget that either.

It does look awesome though!

What about recognising our heroes like Simon Wiggins who proudly wore the new design? #NeverForget

Anyway we can honour our past in other ways.
Going back to an old (an IMO worse) design just screams of a club that is in a state of desperation. "Hey, we suck now but remember when we were great a few decades ago?? Wanna buy a membership?!"

Anyway, that's just my opOnion

Last edited:
What about recognising our heroes like Simon Wiggins who proudly wore the new design? #NeverForget

Anyway we can honour our past in other ways.
Going back to an old (an IMO worse) design just screams of a club that is in a state of desperation. "Hey, we suck now but remember when we were great a few decades ago?? Wanna buy a membership?!"

Anyway, that's just my opOnion
Amen brother

Love it and a great read! :thumbsu:

14 ways to know you're a Carlton supporter

1. You rate a preliminary final win (specifically the 1999 one) higher than the grand final wins you’ve seen.
2. You are happier to beat Collingwood or Essendon by a point and break their hearts than belt them and get percentage.
3. Hearing the “da da da da daaa…” increases your heart rate and gets your mojo right up.

:D
6. “Stand by your man” rates as one of your favourite songs and makes you smile (if you don’t know what I’m talking about here you’re not even a football supporter or you’re too young ... if you’re too young ... Google “stand by your man” and “Carlton” ... and enjoy!).

My favourite! :p :D

10. You know the ball was out in the 1979 Grand Final and admit it when arguing with Collinwood supporters (to make them hurt more) but deny it when arguing with Essendon supporters (so as to make sure our 16 flags are all still legitimate).

Yay I'm a true Carlton supporter! 99 prelim still makes me happy 15 years on.
If I have had a few beers I usually trot out the lance whitnall goal and celebration including the commentary 'you'd wanna be on the blues now'.

My non ssendon supporting mates love it. My essendon supporting mates not so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back