Mega Thread Coaching Staff Pickups

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't be worried about Dangerfield.
He sounds like a big part of the problem .
Tail wags the dog over there.

Don't want Sando at PRO. He was sacked simply bc like DH he loves battlers recycled players and he Molly Coddles his players. Please we don't need Peter Heaters as we have one already
The Crows board were smart enough to move him on. They were sick of the excuses. They're now starting to progress by sacking this Dancing with the Stars trainer
They have now moved into position where they are potentially two yrs ahead of us

That's not what I've been hearing.

^^This x 1000!

As I keep saying: just sacking the coach isn't a plan.

Saying that Adelaide have progressed by sacking Sando when we have no real idea why, and no real idea what they're going to do next just makes no sense to me whatsoever.
We do have an idea so please read the article before making a conclusion

Don't believe it as we were keen to keep him but we only had a few cans with 2 bob coins in it. We couldn't match lions offer. We wanted him to stay
Both parties departed ways not due to unprofessional or incompetent conduct. Just money but I stand to be corrected as it was a shock departure to me at the time

My memory is that Northey was paranoid that the club were making moves to replace him with Sheedy, as both of their contracts came out at the same time (and there was a lot of noise that we were in Sheeds ear back then)

Essentially he wanted a one year extension to avoid the Sheeds exit date. The club refused, and it descended to s**t after that.

Fwiw I always thought it was soft by Northey, as he should have backed himself to deliver a second year running, and essentially make himself unsackable.

My memory is that Northey was paranoid that the club were making moves to replace him with Sheedy, as both of their contracts came out at the same time (and there was a lot of noise that we were in Sheeds ear back then)

Essentially he wanted a one year extension to avoid the Sheeds exit date. The club refused, and it descended to s**t after that.

Fwiw I always thought it was soft by Northey, as he should have backed himself to deliver a second year running, and essentially make himself unsackable.
Very good points
I think you've saved me some research
I thought Northey was limp at the time and he was trying to hold us over a barrel
It was a sad loss and yep we went to poo after that

That's not what I've been hearing.
Of course not bc once Roo got involved he stirred up the hornets nest and expected more grunt out of him. Then when he tried to exert his authority the little darlings didn't like it
Bye bye was the only option he left them as its easier to move a puppet rathe than the playing group. They were at risk of losing major players so action was needed

Footballers are the biggest whingers and complainers going around.
It's natural when you've got 40 blokes for 22 spots.
Having been involved in lots of footy clubs at all different levels the number one most important thing is to find leaders in the playing group who have the strong follow me character trait,that are almost an extension of the coach himself.
They are absolutely devoted to the coaches cause but most importantly will denounce anyone who isn't.
Those blokes doing the whining are either transformed or weeded out very quickly.
Your Luke Hodge type is the perfect example.
It's why Chris Newman is held in such high regard from his peers.
He has been a huge part of changing the cancerous mindset that RFC players have had for over 20 years.
Because we found ourselves at the polar opposite end of the scale.
Every club has their complaining types but it's at which end of the totem pole they are that matters.
Ours were at the top for a long long time.
Everyone will follow the top dogs,good or bad.
I reckon Adelaide are that club now.
Just the very fact that we were somehow able to make the 8 from where we were speaks volumes about our player leadership and their relationship and belief in the coach.

We do have an idea so please read the article before making a conclusion

The article hardly offers a detailed analysis of the situation.

The only part of it that offers any real insight into Adelaide's position is the club statement, and that's vague at best.

There's certainly nothing there which would encourage me to think that we know anything significant about the background to this decision, nor to suggest precisely what moves Adelaide are going to make now.

So I'll stand by my previous comment.

Having been involved in lots of footy clubs at all different levels the number one most important thing is to find leaders in the playing group who have the strong follow me character trait,that are almost an extension of the coach himself.
They are absolutely devoted to the coaches cause but most importantly will denounce anyone who isn't.
Those blokes doing the whining are either transformed or weeded out very quickly.
He has been a huge part of changing the cancerous mindset that RFC players have had for over 20 years.
Every club has their complaining types but it's at which end of the totem pole they are that matters.
Just the very fact that we were somehow able to make the 8 from where we were speaks volumes about our player leadership and their relationship and belief in the coach.

Now that is quality analysis.:thumbsu:

Exactly right. Was a mistake by the club and i believe reconised as one. All Swoop wanted was a year extension for protection for him and his family. I believe Mal was a big driver in saying No to it and the rest is history. I really believe, if Swoop had of stayed we would have played a few more finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's logic, Jim, but not as we know it.

There's cling-ons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow. We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill......Star trekin across the Universe. Only going forward cos we haven't got Reverse...........(OH, OH Now you went and done it)..

I think we played a role in this!

Knocked them out of the finals with an historic opportunity against Port.

Deledio's post-game comments about how we knew we'd run over them because they played in the 26 degree heat the week before in Brisbane.

His excuses and use of statistics to justify everything was very Terry Wallace-like.

Last edited:
The article hardly offers a detailed analysis of the situation.

The only part of it that offers any real insight into Adelaide's position is the club statement, and that's vague at best.

There's certainly nothing there which would encourage me to think that we know anything significant about the background to this decision, nor to suggest precisely what moves Adelaide are going to make now.

So I'll stand by my previous comment.
went from 3rd to 11th to tenth:eek:

Didn't Newy stab Terry in the back or i'm dreaming?:confused:

I think we played a role in this!

Knocked them out of the finals with an historic opportunity against Port.

Deledio's post-game comments about how we knew we'd run over them because they played in the 26 degree heat the week before in Brisbane.

His excuses and use of statistics to justify everything was very Terry Wallace-like.
you read the article and listened to the guy speak after games.top of the class:cool:

Don't believe it as we were keen to keep him but we only had a few cans with 2 bob coins in it. We couldn't match lions offer. We wanted him to stay
Both parties departed ways not due to unprofessional or incompetent conduct. Just money but I stand to be corrected as it was a shock departure to me at the time

Mal Brown didn't like Northey. Mal Brown was agitating to get Sheedy back at the club (I think both Sheedy and Northey were contracted to the end of 95). And as usual Sheedy was milking it to shore up his position at Essendon. This was all going on behind the scenes. There was bad blood because Brown was seen as a bully who had only just arrived back on the scene after being in WA.

Northey could see the writing on the wall, being undermined by Brown and 12 months down the track he would be replaced by Sheedy.

So he called the bluff and joined Brisbane with one year left on his contract. Not a real good way of cutting ties but hey, he thought it would be a knife between the shoulder blades 12 months later.

The worst thing is it started a chain of events that saw us getting Walls then the Geisch then Frawley then Wallace. What's that, about 14 years of stuff ups while having one of our greatest players ever in the team through that time. Thanks a lot Mal.

Either Sanderson was incompetent (in which case an epic fail by those who appointed him) or the players were getting too big for their boots (and are not the kind of players you want at your club). Either way things don't look so fine over in Adelaide.

The Crows are about to make all the mistakes we've made in the past.

Mal Brown didn't like Northey. Mal Brown was agitating to get Sheedy back at the club (I think both Sheedy and Northey were contracted to the end of 95). And as usual Sheedy was milking it to shore up his position at Essendon. This was all going on behind the scenes. There was bad blood because Brown was seen as a bully who had only just arrived back on the scene after being in WA.

Northey could see the writing on the wall, being undermined by Brown and 12 months down the track he would be replaced by Sheedy.

So he called the bluff and joined Brisbane with one year left on his contract. Not a real good way of cutting ties but hey, he thought it would be a knife between the shoulder blades 12 months later.

The worst thing is it started a chain of events that saw us getting Walls then the Geisch then Frawley then Wallace. What's that, about 14 years of stuff ups while having one of our greatest players ever in the team through that time. Thanks a lot Mal.
Sheeds did that at least three times in his stay at Essendon
All three blokes had a bit to do with our outcome in the end

Last edited:
Of course not bc once Roo got involved he stirred up the hornets nest and expected more grunt out of him. Then when he tried to exert his authority the little darlings didn't like it
Bye bye was the only option he left them as its easier to move a puppet rathe than the playing group. They were at risk of losing major players so action was needed
Isn't this the exact same thing as St Kilda ,the coach was going to upset the senior players boys club and they didn't like it so the coach gets moved on and the boys club remains in tact.

Exactly right. Was a mistake by the club and i believe reconised as one. All Swoop wanted was a year extension for protection for him and his family. I believe Mal was a big driver in saying No to it and the rest is history. I really believe, if Swoop had of stayed we would have played a few more finals.
This no doubt, if Swooper was still in charge for 96 and 97, we would of breezed into both finals series and quite possibly gone close to playing off in 97 IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back