Sando sacked - confirmed **** crows only ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vibe from almost everyone outside the club (not just Sando's mates) is that we've made a rash decision. Jumped in too early, lacked patience, reacted to some player rumblings.

Not saying the decision was right or wrong, but the football world is watching us now.

Bomber Thompson clearly isn't happy about the Sando sacking, seems pretty upset actually

Honestly I'm so sick of hearing ex-Geelong people going on and on about Sando. Maybe, just maybe not everything Geelong touches turns to gold. Maybe they should spend less time whinging about us and more time worrying about why they have only won 1 out of their last 5 finals.

We have our issues, they have theirs. Now can't they just let it go and let us rebuild our football department. Not everything is about Geelong.

Last edited:
Roo has mentioned the communication failures numerous times in the past week, but nobody in the media seems to be picking up on it.

Most of the media works this way now. You have a message you want to push and you keep pushing that no matter what the facts actually are, especially if you are a murdoch press. Then when you get corrected, ignore it or put a correction in a minor part of the paper that people don't really read.

Roo has mentioned the communication failures numerous times in the past week, but nobody in the media seems to be picking up on it.
We love our mate, we love our mate, we love the guy who is mates with guys we work with who have told us all how awesome he is, we are very indifferent if not disliking of the Adelaide Football Club and even more so since we have fallen in love with PAFC, we also have selective hearing.. :)

The vibe from almost everyone outside the club (not just Sando's mates) is that we've made a rash decision. Jumped in too early, lacked patience, reacted to some player rumblings.

Not saying the decision was right or wrong, but the football world is watching us now.

great, hopefully we respond...

I wonder how many of these people actually watched our games.

I'd take him back as a fitness coach. At least our players ran hard when he was around.

I think Poulos's inclusion helped initially because he bulked our players up a bit. In 2012 we seemed to have a balance of hard running and strength. As we all know, it wen't to s**t when we lost Shwerdt and the new guy took over as head of fitness. Our players have looked sluggish ever since.
Poulos hasn't been too bad.

turning up flat for the start of the season is probably the only thing that was mismanaged this year, but Sando wanted to thrash the players and aim to peak in September. Fitness hasn't really been an issue since (remember when we out ran "the fittest team in the comp"?) and we've had hardly any soft tissue injuries compared to a lot of other clubs.

needs more football guidance to know what football archetype is required. AFL football is very unique in its fitness requirements and Sando's gameplan and the fitness he thought he would require to carry it out would have weighed heavily on Poulos' preparations. Sando wanted bigger bodies in 2012 and Poulos delivered, Sando wanted high miles in 2014 and Poulos provided a good high miles program. Sando says "I want the players to be able to do A, B and C on match day and be up and about for September" and I believe Poulos can deliver to that template. If Sando's A, B and C fall over on gameday that's his fault, not Poulos'.

that's the powerful thing about the Hinkley/Burgess combo. Hinkley has a gameplan that works and understands the physical demands on the players and works with Burgess so that he can then devise the best program for the players. Burgess also has many more years worth of football experience...

tl;dr - I think that Poulos knows his s**t and can certainly manage the players well (Talia holding Hawkins out with one arm anyone?) and devise effective training regimes. He just needs a better football influence, which will depend highly on who our next coach is and where he wants to take the club's playing style.

Last edited:
Hehe... capacity

Breaking news!
Claude the Crow was sacked today.
He vows to follow his best mate Sando to wherever he ends up.
"Nobody told me about Sando being sacked so ruthlessly!" stammered Claude behind a veil of tears.
"He was my best mate here - was always cracking jokes about how stupid magpies are. I'll go wherever he goes."

In other news, a familiar face was seen in Adelaide trying out for the newly vacant mascot position.
It seems some have taken the AFL directive about pre-game entertainment a little too far.
"I just wanted to put some sex appeal back into football", said Neil Craig. "I mean sex sells, right?"

upload_2014-9-22_19-42-48.png

turning up flat for the start of the season is probably the only thing that was mismanaged this year

This is a pretty big issue though isn't it? We ended up missing out on finals by a very slim margin in 2013/14. Those early games are very important. The fact we've come out sluggish two years running has really killed us.

It's not as if we we're cherry ripe for September either. We looked lethargic against North and not much better against Richmond.

tl;dr - I think that Poulos knows his s**t and can certainly manage the players well (Talia holding Hawkins out with one arm anyone?) and devise effective training regimes. He just needs a better football influence, which will depend highly on where our next coach wants to take the club's playing style.

Agree on this. The most important thing is getting a good head coach. We'll let him decide Poulos merits and if he stays or goes.

I wonder how many of these people actually watched our games.
It's coming from people who know the industry.

If we've got someone better lined up, all is well.

If not...

If not...

Yeah but how will we know either way? We could sign up well-known, experienced coach and still end up having a shithouse season. Look at Carlton.

We won't be able to judge the merits of Sando's sacking for a while yet. People need to stop jumping the gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If not...

Yes but they are not inside the club, Thompson, Buckley and Harley are all defending their mate and then others jump on however I will back Roo and Nobles review that concluded Sando had to go....

Hard for people to make judgement unless they are actually inside the club

This is a pretty big issue though isn't it? We ended up missing out on finals by a very slim margin in 2013/14. Those early games are very important. The fact we've come out sluggish two years running has really killed us.
oh for sure, but I can't get away from the feeling that a lot of it was based on Sando's directives. Trust me, a guy from a rugby background isn't going to pipe up during a meeting to say we're not running enough 10k time trials.

It's not as if we we're cherry ripe for September either. We looked lethargic against North and not much better against Richmond.
I'd like to say they were more brain fades than leg fades, but neither of us will ever really know.

I agree though, his judgement day will come so will just have to wait and see.

once the media chooses a narrative they wont change it. They were blindsided therefore in their eyes sando was blindsided. that's why we keep hearing from sandos mates...cos the media know they'll give the 'right' perspective. we're stuck cos if we air out sandos dirty laundry (if there is any) then we look petty.
we're just gonna have to lump it and ram a premiership cup down their collective throats.

Last edited:
I'd like to say they were more brain fades than leg fades, but neither of us will ever really know.

I agree though, his judgement day will come so will just have to wait and see.

Watch the North game closely. Would take a very brave man to say we didn't look physically flat. North players we're running clear into space with ease for most of the game. Was pretty deplorable.

I get what your saying though. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether players are physically not up to it, or just poorly directed. Sando himself stated over and over again that our issues aren't effort but execution. If these comments have any truth to them, Poulos is probably not the issue.

Watch the North game closely. Would take a very brave man to say we didn't look physically flat. North players we're running clear into space with ease for most of the game. Was pretty deplorable.

I get what your saying though. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether players are physically not up to it, or just poorly directed. Sando himself stated over and over again that our issues aren't effort but execution. If these comments have any truth to them, Poulos is probably not the issue.
to be honest I thought both teams looked rubbish and that North were certainties to be bungled out first week of the finals:) but I wouldn't say my memory has clung onto that game by any stretch.

I think results like the Melbourne game suggest we had a lot of issues switching on mentally and if you can't do that you won't be able to run like a good side. Meh, what a season:(

And he definitely fancies himself with some of the female posters :cool:
Yeah, you really believe there are female posters in an internet forum?? :)

once the media chooses a narrative they wont change it. They were blindsided therefore in their eyes sando was blindsided. that's why we keep hearing from sandos mates...cos the media know they'll give the 'right' perspective. we're stuck cos if we air out sandos dirty laundry (if there is any) then we look petty.
we're just gonna have to lump it and ram a premiership cup down their collective throats.
All of Sanderson's mates had their time at the top 3 years ago. A long time in footy terms. The Geelong era is fully past the use by date. We've tried that method of game style and couldn't reproduce it with skill and poise. We will definitely be adapting to another top four game style when the new coach is locked in so exciting times ahead for sure. Plenty of upside in any case. As for the Geelong crew, have a bex and a lay down.

Embrace this questioning media. I've craved the moment when we actually threw our weight around, backed our own judgment regardless of how we were perceived in the public eye and just stuck up the middle digit at the media in general.

Sure makes a nice change from some of our efforts in years gone by.

Its amazing how much a lack of team cohesion between players and coach can result in teams looking unfit and having bad skills. After all every second week we looked pretty fit and our skills were ok (never great, but ok). Same thing happened towards the end of the neil craig era and I doubt we were unfit then. IMO its more about effort and confidence, rather than fitness and skills, two things that will be in short supply when you've lost faith in the coach or the gameplan.

Yes but they are not inside the club, Thompson, Buckley and Harley are all defending their mate and then others jump on however I will back Roo and Nobles review that concluded Sando had to go....
Paul Roos isn't his mate.

Out of interest, why would we be backing in Noble and Ricciuto? Track record in these sorts of calls? No.

Not saying they're wrong, but we are going out on a limb here. Particularly if we haven't got a quality replacement locked away.

Hard for people to make judgement unless they are actually inside the club
There are always going to be players that don't like the coach at any club. When a team isn't going well the negative calls get louder. People get emboldened to voice concerns that they might sit on if there are a few more wins around the place. No doubt things could be better. But they could be a hell of a lot worse too and let's hope we aren't heading there.

EDIT - I'm not saying I disagree with the decision to sack him btw. Just that we've taken the alternative route so it's up to us to show it is the right one.

The afl media heavies in Melbourne are just glad to have something other than the supplement scandal to go on about so they are digging their claws into this story and milking it for what's worth. The dust will settle. Look at Lyon and freo a few yr ago. That rings a bit similar to me...

Paul Roos isn't his mate.

Out of interest, why would we be backing in Noble and Ricciuto? Track record in these sorts of calls? No.

Not saying they're wrong, but we are going out on a limb here. Particularly if we haven't got a quality replacement locked away.

There are always going to be players that don't like the coach at any club. When a team isn't going well the negative calls get louder. People get emboldened to voice concerns that they might sit on if there are a few more wins around the place. No doubt things could be better. But they could be a hell of a lot worse too and let's hope we aren't heading there.

EDIT - I'm not saying I disagree with the decision to sack him btw. Just that we've taken the alternative route so it's up to us to show it is the right one.
Let's just go win a bunch of premierships now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back