Newest Posts

Sando sacked - confirmed **** crows only ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a question for you posters, if Sando took us to a flag in 2012 and we had the same years as 2013 and 2014 or worse would he still be here???

Would the question of his communication style be an issue? Lets face it using the old phrase we were within a kick of a GF and arguably could have beaten the Swans in the final as well.

Here is a question for you posters, if Sando took us to a flag in 2012 and we had the same years as 2013 and 2014 or worse would he still be here???

Would the question of his communication style be an issue? Lets face it using the old phrase we were within a kick of a GF and arguably could have beaten the Swans in the final as well.
too early to say that not winning the premiership was a blessing in disguise? :drunk:

Regarding the non-communication. Heard from two players that weren't regular that Sando hasdn't talked to them at all this year regarding their strengths, weaknesses or waht they were doing well at SANFL level. As a coach at lower grade amateur level, I chat with my players at least fortnightly so i was very very surprised to hear that Sando wasn't doing this. These chats are especially important to those on the fringe of selection.
The times I met Sando, he was very engaging and personable so this came as even more of a surprise.

A premiership may have bought him some extra time all else equal. In reality though who knows? A premiership can alter the club landscape significantly, players want to go there as do coaches and support staff.

The problem was not primarily the results but his dealings and management with the playing group.

I'd say he would still be there. A flag is a pretty big deal. It's pretty much the one thing which defines coaches. Why do you think people are still jerking off over Roos? Would he be considered a genius if he hadn't won a flag in 2005?

Definitely. But those are the risks you take when you introduce performance clauses in a coaches contract, assuming those clauses are based on the club making finals etc... and not around development. Though you could also argue that Grigg being in our side at the expense of somebody like Martin addresses both sides, in that we'd likely be better, and it's also aiding the development of a young player.

Coaches have always focussed on the now rather than the distant future because now is the time on which they are judged.
This is why they should only have limited input into recruiting and why many clubs now have list managers.

A premiership may have bought him some extra time all else equal. In reality though who knows? A premiership can alter the club landscape significantly, players want to go there as do coaches and support staff.

The problem was not primarily the results but his dealings and management with the playing group.

Kicking an extra goal and winning one more game in 2012 would have kept Sando on regardless of his communication issues?

So if a coach wins the flag they have carde blanche do what they want when they want?

His communication style is coming out now, but what about back in 2012 when everything was almost perfect?

Can't answer hypotheticals like that, who knows it might have been worse..
He didn't..
What it is, is what it is..

Blight had just took us to 2 flags in a row and was apparently having relationship breakdowns quite a bit in 1999 and had enough and walked out..

Kicking an extra goal and winning one more game in 2012 would have kept Sando on regardless of his communication issues?

So if a coach wins the flag they have carde blanche do what they want when they want?

His communication style is coming out now, but what about back in 2012 when everything was almost perfect?

You really need to read my post and not make assumptions about what I said.

Can't answer hypotheticals like that, who knows it might have been worse..
He didn't..
What it is, is what it is..

Blight had just took us to 2 flags in a row and was apparently having relationship breakdowns quite a bit in 1999 and had enough and walked out..

Correct me if I am wrong but didnt the Club want Blighty to stay and take a break and come back?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This could also be why many are questioning Dangers role because apparently he and Sando had such a great relationship. It's possible that Sando was leaning heavily on the guys he knew were talented and experienced (Danger, Sloane, Tex, Thommo, Reilly, Rutten, Pods, Dmac, Jaensch) to carry the team into a finals series and left the younger guys to their own devices.

I think there is enough smoke around to consider there may be something in these rumours.
FWIW this is opposite of NC's philosophy.

He often used to say he could not expect much improvement from his first tier players and he had to concentrate on improving the backbone group (as he called them) or the even younger crushers (ugh!) in order to improve as a team. He was dead right on that one and if Sando really didnt communicate with the youngsters much then he really does deserve to be out on his arse.

Incomprehensible to me though is why he got that extension for another two years though. They cant both be rgood decisions. I am fuming about that as it is my membership money that is being used on wasteful mistakes like these.

I think this is the issue, people can't reconcile their perception of how he should be with how he actually was.

This is why I was so shocked when he was sacked. He's a very likeable person. I watched all his pressers. He's more open and engaging than most head coaches and he doesn't usually whinge like a little bitch either. (Brisbane hot weather was the exception)

I was genuinely surprised about the player back-lash too. The entire playing group supported giving him the boot. I remember when Craigy left, all the players looked distraught. This time around we get a short press release from Van Berlo saying the players fully back the decision of the board. It's bizarre.

The lesson learned is not to take anything out of press conferences. A coaches likability doesn't amount to shit in the long run.

(I still hope our new coach isn't an egotistical turd like Malthouse or chronic whinger like Brad Scott :p)

This is why I was so shocked when he was sacked. He's a very likeable person. I watched all his pressers. He's more open and engaging than most head coaches and he doesn't usually whinge like a little bitch either. (Brisbane hot weather was the exception)

I was genuinely surprised about the player back-lash too. The entire playing group supported giving him the boot. I remember when Craigy left, all the players looked distraught. This time around we get a short press release from Van Berlo saying the players fully back the decision of the board. It's bizarre.

The lesson learned is not to take anything out of press conferences. A coaches likability doesn't amount to shit in the long run.

(I still hope our new coach isn't an egotistical turd like Malthouse or chronic whinger like Brad Scott :p)

I believe the players almost all still loved Craigy, everyone just knew it was time for a change.

I suspect that Cornes would never have been dumped for Shaw if we hadn't kicked ourselves out of a GF, twice. Would still have had a dodgy 94, 95 but he'd have held on and the boys both would have played for us under that strange initial F/S rule we and the Eagles got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back