List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Friday is the big day where the bidding begins. We should place a bid, I rate him just below Petracca and McCartin.
Yup im with you, i think we Bid, we are no certainty to get Wright or McCartin and Moore looks a great prospect.

Credit Skippos

Pick 26 - Carlton: Connor Menadue (Vic Metro, Linebreaking outside MID)
188cm, 69kg, 19/9/96
Range: Top 40
Comparison: Jono O'Rourke

Connor Menadue is the bolter right now, partially started by his amazing performance in the first round of the TAC cup finals. The talent has always been there though. He's a tall outside leaning midfielder who could go in any number of directions due to his size and rawness. He's incredibly quick with his pace elite and his acceleration exceptional. His evasive movement is elite with his sidestep the best in the draft. That with his pace makes his linebreaking ability fantastic. By foot he's great. Hits targets, picks the right ones, directs the play well by foot and has some penetration. Despite his size on the inside he can win his ball. He reads the tap well and moves well enough to win the hard ball. His disposal under pressure is great. His ability to receive the ball on the outside is excellent with his timing of runs to receive a highlight. For a thin fella his tackling is great. His ability to hit the scoreboard is a highlight.

The knock on Menadue is production. So far he's rarely produced the kind of games he did in week one of the finals. In the champs he showed flashes but hardly imposed himself. There's a lot to like but he's raw. At his size he still has 10-20 kilos to put on still and that could change the kind of player he is. He occasionally tries to do too much with the ball. He's prone to floating in and out of games. Though he seems to have a natural ability to win his own ball his inside game is very much a work in progress and will take time to develop.

The upside in Menadue is really high. He's the kind of player who can break and win games on his own. With what he's doing at his size there's some real indication he might make it. He projects as a higher level Jonothan O'Rourke with that high level receiving game and silky smooth outside game. He'll take time but by season three with a few pre seasons he's someone that could really impose himself on the AFL.

from his mock http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/skipposs-2014-phantom-draft.1070460/

I'm terrible at describing players to be honest
He is a doggies supporter and his dad played in the Sunshine VFA second division finals in the 80's

Credit Skippos

Pick 26 - Carlton: Connor Menadue (Vic Metro, Linebreaking outside MID)
188cm, 69kg, 19/9/96
Range: Top 40
Comparison: Jono O'Rourke

Connor Menadue is the bolter right now, partially started by his amazing performance in the first round of the TAC cup finals. The talent has always been there though. He's a tall outside leaning midfielder who could go in any number of directions due to his size and rawness. He's incredibly quick with his pace elite and his acceleration exceptional. His evasive movement is elite with his sidestep the best in the draft. That with his pace makes his linebreaking ability fantastic. By foot he's great. Hits targets, picks the right ones, directs the play well by foot and has some penetration. Despite his size on the inside he can win his ball. He reads the tap well and moves well enough to win the hard ball. His disposal under pressure is great. His ability to receive the ball on the outside is excellent with his timing of runs to receive a highlight. For a thin fella his tackling is great. His ability to hit the scoreboard is a highlight.

The knock on Menadue is production. So far he's rarely produced the kind of games he did in week one of the finals. In the champs he showed flashes but hardly imposed himself. There's a lot to like but he's raw. At his size he still has 10-20 kilos to put on still and that could change the kind of player he is. He occasionally tries to do too much with the ball. He's prone to floating in and out of games. Though he seems to have a natural ability to win his own ball his inside game is very much a work in progress and will take time to develop.

The upside in Menadue is really high. He's the kind of player who can break and win games on his own. With what he's doing at his size there's some real indication he might make it. He projects as a higher level Jonothan O'Rourke with that high level receiving game and silky smooth outside game. He'll take time but by season three with a few pre seasons he's someone that could really impose himself on the AFL.

from his mock http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/skipposs-2014-phantom-draft.1070460/

I'm terrible at describing players to be honest

Thanks. But didn't Macca sometime say he wanted AFL ready players?

Hope I'm wrong, Menadue sounds like an exciting prospect.

We have enough guys to rotate through the middle next year, we don't need someone who is ready made to come in and likely to develop at Footscray anyway. Plenty of time to develop for a few years in the VFL if he is going to be the best player available. Love the look of Menadue, Bonts wasn't supposed to be ready to play straight away either but look how he went. Connor could easily be 75-77KG by round 1.

doggies ftw what do you think of the players I mentioned?

I think at this stage, they're still all fairly realistic to
Would be pretty happy with that. Although don't think I'd be giving up a 2nd rounder for Walker at this stage, would give up a third though. Would rather go at Reid with our 2nd but might take a bit more than that, hoping we get band 2 for Higgins as that IMO should be getting pretty close for Reid considering the situation.

So -

Wright or Durdin
Macdonald
instead of Walker - Menadue
hopefully another 2nd rounder for Jones if were lucky and we can take another forward like McKenzie/Keitel
Cordy
Foster.

That would be bloody fantastic, swap out McKenzie/Keitel for Reid and it'd be a happy man.

Thats a genuine potential gun KPF, a potentially high level KPD, a genuine potential gun outside mid who fits the rest of our midfield about as good as perfectly as you could hope for (tall, outside player but still cracks in and tackles etc, extremely quick, extremely skilful and hits the scoreboard, thats everything I want to add to our midfield edit: and he's a Bulldogs supporters?! Come on down Menadue!), another potentially high level KPF or a young but developed KPF in Reid that can impact asap, a good 3rd tall defender and another raw KPF. Those ins + cutting most of the deadwood on the list (i.e Howard, Young, Goodes etc) = a bloody good offseason for me.

Thanks. But didn't Macca sometime say he wanted AFL ready players?

Hope I'm wrong, Menadue sounds like an exciting prospect.

I wouldn't be worrying about that, I mean look at our picks from recent drafts - Macrae, Stringer and Bonts, all were extremely high potential but not expected to be ready for quite a while. Don't see why we'd do anything different this year, we will pick for who we think is the best fit and has the highest ceiling.

Would be pretty happy with that. Although don't think I'd be giving up a 2nd rounder for Walker at this stage, would give up a third though. Would rather go at Reid with our 2nd but might take a bit more than that, hoping we get band 2 for Higgins as that IMO should be getting pretty close for Reid considering the situation.

So -

Wright or Durdin
Macdonald
instead of Walker - Menadue
hopefully another 2nd rounder for Jones if were lucky and we can take another forward like McKenzie/Keitel
Cordy
Foster.

That would be bloody fantastic, swap out McKenzie/Keitel for Reid and it'd be a happy man.

Thats a genuine potential gun KPF, a potentially high level KPD, a genuine potential gun outside mid who fits the rest of our midfield about as good as perfectly as you could hope for (tall, outside player but still cracks in and tackles etc, extremely quick, extremely skilful and hits the scoreboard, thats everything I want to add to our midfield), another potentially high level KPF or a young but developed KPF in Reid that can impact asap, a good 3rd tall defender and another raw KPF. Those ins + cutting most of the deadwood on the list (i.e Howard, Young, Goodes etc) = a bloody good offseason for me.
What if we gave our second and got Geelongs 3rd round? I mean, they'll probably only use the first 3 picks anyhow

get a mature KPP this year amongst the kids and go hard at some players next season

What if we gave our second and got Geelongs 3rd round? I mean, they'll probably only use the first 3 picks anyhow

get a mature KPP this year amongst the kids and go hard at some players next season
Not sure I rate Walker high enough to be willing to lose a 2nd in this draft tbh theres just so many kids I want in that 18-30 range of the draft. Wouldn't be that upset with it though because yeah obviously our KPP stocks are looking pretty bare. If it turns out to be like Walker or Menadue even though we need a KPF with a few years behind him, I'd prefer to just rely on a bit of a makeshift forward line again next year while waiting for the kids we draft this year to come good.

Would only want Walker if the club genuinely believes he can kick on and a be a good player, not just for a stop gap, we have Campbell who can provide a contest, can play Roughy forward, Stringer and Bonts should play most of the year mostly forward again, hopefully Dicko and Grant hit some form early in the year, I've grown a tiny bit of hope in Redpath after the granny he might just come good, Cordy maybe and then who knows we might just draft a freak who can make an impact early.

So yeah push for Walker for a 3rd round only IMO (if we even have one), or preferably just pay a bit more and get Reid. I'm not going to stop harping on about Reid, I desperately want us to get him so he can prove me right next year :p

Not sure I rate Walker high enough to be willing to lose a 2nd in this draft tbh theres just so many kids I want in that 18-30 range of the draft. Wouldn't be that upset with it though because yeah obviously our KPP stocks are looking pretty bare. If it turns out to be like Walker or Menadue even though we need a KPF with a few years behind him, I'd prefer to just rely on a bit of a makeshift forward line again next year while waiting for the kids we draft this year to come good.

Would only want Walker if the club genuinely believes he can kick on and a be a good player, not just for a stop gap, we have Campbell who can provide a contest, can play Roughy forward, Stringer and Bonts should play most of the year mostly forward again, hopefully Dicko and Grant hit some form early in the year, I've grown a tiny bit of hope in Redpath after the granny he might just come good, Cordy maybe and then who knows we might just draft a freak who can make an impact early.

So yeah push for Walker for a 3rd round only IMO (if we even have one), or preferably just pay a bit more and get Reid. I'm not going to stop harping on about Reid, I desperately want us to get him so he can prove me right next year :p
Yeah
I am keen to see what we can do
I just don't want Reid to be honest
I'd rather develop our own players in all honesty
worst case might be something like Lever-McDonald-VR-Cordy-Cockatoo-Foster-Jong-Redpath

at least we should set defensively hey? target Key Forwards more next season, I'd still be fairly happy with that

I love the look of Cockatoo/Garlett, speedy players
didn't see the game he played in prior to the GF? Burst out of a centre clearance so fast the players didn't even see even have time to turn their head before he was 10 metres clear

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS WHAT ARE THE CLUB DOING!!!!

Callum Twomey has just tweeted the Dogs have lodged paperwork to nominate Zaine Cordy as a father son but won't be nominating Foster. If Foster kills it elsewhere seriously WTF. THE KID WILL WANT TO PLAY FOR THE DOGS GEEZ!!!!!
let him develop on another clubs list and 'spud' it up as he matures
and then nominate us in the PSD :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back