Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We won't be getting both Merrett and Frost think we are just keeping our options open until we sign 1 of them to replace Frawley.

I'm not sure but mahoney said we have already held talks on them

I think sauce might be in contract? But at his age it will probably be for a low pick or scrap player id assume

Frost is a good pick up IMO
Not a great kick but you just need guys around him who won't expose him

Exactly what we need, more blokes in the back half who cannot hit targets.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be quite happy to get Frost, however if we pick up him and Lumumba, then we have not improved our back half at all in regards to skill set. Frost can kill a contest though. Big and strong, so it would be a solid long term replacement for Frawley.

I really like the idea of chasing Merrett as well. With Hogan coming in, we need to protect him. Merrett will do that while providing a target who can kick goals. I think it's a great idea. By the time Merrett is looking at retiring, Hogan should be ready to explode in the F50! Dawes can play further up the ground to provide that target coming out of defence. Plus Merrett can play that swing man role, and be a back up for defence as well. Under rated player IMO. If we can snare him for a third rounder, or a straight swap for Blease or something similar, I'd be wrapped with that.

Know bugger all about Frost but he seems like a handy size. Seem to recall people on here saying he was a bit of a butcher though. Still prefer him to Merrett though, can't see much upside to him.
I dunno, I quite like the idea of Merrett, especially up forward, he's a strong physical presence who can take a mark, and a decent kick at goal isn't he? we certainly need more oomph in the forward line, can't rely on Hogan to come in and blitz the competition as a first year player.

Merrett's first job if he comes to the club would be to offer Pedo a coupon for a free rhinoplasy.

Not that sold on Merrett. Thumbs up to Frost.
Merrett is 30 and this doesn't really feel like it would be in the same vein as getting Cross last year, when our midfield desperately needed a player of his experience.

Hopefully Lions want him out because I don't fancy spending anything more than a fourth rounder on him.

I dunno, I quite like the idea of Merrett, especially up forward, he's a strong physical presence who can take a mark, and a decent kick at goal isn't he? we certainly need more oomph in the forward line, can't rely on Hogan to come in and blitz the competition as a first year player.

Good point. I guess I'd been thinking about him as a defender. Another big body up forward certainly couldn't hurt. As long as he can take grabs

I do enjoy hearing other teams whinging about potential Frawley compensation, that on form he isn't worth pick 3. It's like they are deliberately going out of their way to misunderstand the way FA compo works.

This is a good point but considering his age he's still not really worth a high pick just to help Hogan have some breathing space.

I'd take him for next to nothing, because what else is he worth and what else do we have.

He would be handy at FF with Hogan next to him and Dawes in front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is it with crazy overvaluation of a supporter's team's picks and players (and for the record, I do it too)...

Direct quote from the Lions trade thread: "Merrett+ our 2nd rounder for toumpas and their third?"

It's the BigFooty way. I'd love to see someone do a mock trade period based on the suggestions made on BigFooty during trade week. Could be based on likes or something. It would be madness!

Dunn Frost Jetta
McDonald Garland Lumumba

Vince Cross Varcoe

Trengove Dawes Howe
Hogan Merrett Kent

Jamar Jones Tyson

Watts Grimes Viney Kennedy Harris

If we could go into the season with that side, I'd be optimistic of improvement. Structurally it's pretty strong, and it's still got Salem, Toumpas, pick 2 and whoever we take for Frawley waiting to develop.

F*** the Merrett idea off, absolutely pointless.

Also Mahoney said we aren't looking at Varcoe.
Disagree on Merrett. IF he were to come cheap, he'd be a very handy second tall to take the heat off Hogan for the next two years.

Disagree on Merrett. IF he were to come cheap, he'd be a very handy second tall to take the heat off Hogan for the next two years.

Except he's s**t and on top of that he's a dirty, sniping campaigner.

He's also 30, we aren't Richmond recycling every turd that comes our way.

Except he's s**t and on top of that he's a dirty, sniping campaigner.

He's also 30, we aren't Richmond recycling every turd that comes our way.
He's not s**t. Past his prime and more a defender, sure.

Dunn Frost Jetta
McDonald Garland Lumumba

Vince Cross Varcoe

Trengove Dawes Howe
Hogan Merrett Kent

Jamar Jones Tyson

Watts Grimes Viney Kennedy Harris

If we could go into the season with that side, I'd be optimistic of improvement. Structurally it's pretty strong, and it's still got Salem, Toumpas, pick 2 and whoever we take for Frawley waiting to develop.
I dislike the part where Gawn has to miss out. We won't be able to play he and Jamar if Merrett is used as a forward.

If we're recruiting Merrett to play up forward then the club shouldn't be charging admission to games. No one should be expected to pay to see that.

We're supposed to be rebuilding the club and preparing to hand over a developing list to Goodwin in a year or two. I don't see how stocking up on battlers like Merrett, Hairy Lemoncheesecake, Varcoe, etc is setting us up for future success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back