Traded Dayne Beams and pick 67 traded for picks 5 and 25, and Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Brisbane Lions supporters are praying GC won't get involved.

I suspect there is equal if not more praying coming from those in black and white.

The talk about paying part of his salary is fanciful and smacks a bit of posters looking for a Bigfooty win rather than a football win.

That said, if Collingwood do want to pay part of his salary, they can offer us that and maybe we can improve our offer even more. ;)

I'm a bit surprised that more hasn't been made of Connors saying that Beams's dad is okay and on the mend. (Obviously the 5 year remission disclaimer is implied).

Because despite the good news, remission ain't solid, can turn south in the blink of an eye.

Because despite the good news, remission ain't solid, can turn south in the blink of an eye.

Yeah... thus my disclaimer. :confused:

It's just interesting that despite Connors (and Beams himself) saying that his father's health is at the moment in a more positive place, we still see Brisbane supporters referring to his father's "dying wish" and Collingwood supporters saying that he is only leaving the Pies to get back to his dying father.

The talk about paying part of his salary is fanciful and smacks a bit of posters looking for a Bigfooty win rather than a football win.

Not really.
Collingwood got the Heath Shaw trade done because they offered to pay out a large component of his contractual year in 2014.
It's a consideration in trades now.
Collingwood also paid Tarrant's first year at Fremantle so it would get a better deal.
It's part of trading.

Yeah... thus my disclaimer. :confused:

It's just interesting that despite Connors (and Beams himself) saying that his father's health is at the moment in a more positive place, we still see Brisbane supporters referring to his father's "dying wish" and Collingwood supporters saying that he is only leaving the Pies to get back to his dying father.

Oh ok, didn't realise that. I just thought both Brisbane and Collingwood supporters thought he was going back for support, not whether it was a dying wish, well that's how I have read it.

Not really.
Collingwood got the Heath Shaw trade done because they offered to pay out a large component of his contractual year in 2014.
It's a consideration in trades now.

Very different scenario - you aren't offloading a problem child here. Will take a lot more than just paying part of Beams's salary for one year. The Suns salary cap gets tighter from here, not looser.

Don't think the Pies are going to price themselves out of 3 years of free agent bidding wars on account of getting a slight upgrade on the Beams trade. Especially under the new rules where cap space can be banked for future years.

But keep the flame alive SugarCoat, you never know!

Don't think the Pies are going to price themselves out of 3 years of free agent bidding wars on account of getting a slight upgrade on the Beams trade. Especially under the new rules where cap space can be banked for future years.

Derek Hine said at a members function they won't make a play for a FA until they are in a premiership mode.
He also said they have about $1.5 million space where they have flexibility to front and back end contracts.
If they lose Beams, and they get some high end draft picks, the premiership mode will be put back a few years.
Bringing in kids and having the cap space allows them flexibility.

Derek Hine said at a members function they won't make a play for a FA until they are in a premiership mode..

So they were willing to both trade and pay big dollars for Dangerfield this year but wouldn't be willing to spend money to get him as a free agent next year? Okay mang. I'm sure they'd much rather pay the salary of Gold Coast players.

So they were willing to both trade and pay big dollars for Dangerfield this year but wouldn't be willing to spend money to get him as a free agent next year? Okay mang. I'm sure they'd much rather pay the salary of Gold Coast players.

The talk of Dangerfield is pie in the Sky stuff.
It's the media actively putting 1 and 1 together.
Hine stated they will only bring in a FA when they are in premiership contention.
You can say they would rather play the salary of GC players and dismiss it.
But if paying a CG player for 1/2 years means they get 2 first rounders, it actually aids their list management moving forward.
Can you imagine the PR fallout Swann will have to mitigate if the kids down the coast get Beams?
He will be on the phone quicker than you can say, "Aish is refusing to sign a contract extension"

I could see Tim Membrey being part of the Beams deal with Sydney as a third party. As a hard leading forward who gets up the ground he'd be a nice compliment to Cloke and whoever is second ruck. Could allow Reid to go back to the backline.
At least if people want to offer up fringe spuds for Beams, it would be better if they could get 5+ games a year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect there is equal if not more praying coming from those in black and white.

That said, if Collingwood do want to pay part of his salary, they can offer us that and maybe we can improve our offer even more. ;)
Paying his salary and getting a good deal =big win.
We won't be using it anyway, and would much rather get a good deal from Gold Coast than 4+fringe spud, if that was possible.

Very different scenario - you aren't offloading a problem child here. Will take a lot more than just paying part of Beams's salary for one year. The Suns salary cap gets tighter from here, not looser.

But keep the flame alive SugarCoat, you never know!
We don't have to pay his whole contract for 3 years in order for paying his contract to have an effect. Say he's on 3 mill over 4 years. Maybe we pay 1 million this year when we have the space anyway if we could get a reasonable deal from GC.

We don't have to pay his whole contract for 3 years in order for paying his contract to have an effect. Say he's on 3 mill over 4 years. Maybe we pay 1 million this year when we have the space anyway if we could get a reasonable deal from GC.

I still think the more likely outcome is a reasonable deal from Brisbane which looked set to happen totally regardless of Ashcroft's half hearted comments. ;)

Is their any chance we could trade pick 4 for Luke Shuey, than on trade Sheuy to Collingwood.

No.

If Shuey requested a trade back to Victoria we'd probably take pick 4 (assuming he refused to join St Kilda or Melbourne), but Shuey for Beams leaves Collingwood short-changed.

They're from the same draft except Beams had a two year head start due to Shuey being injured and Beams' best to date has eclipsed Shuey's by a reasonable margin.

If collingwood wants our 2nd round pick as well as our 1st then they have to massively sweeten the pot or we walk away and get him for free next year. Pick 4 + Pick 25 for Beams + Kennedy seems more than fair.

Isn't it about cap space rather than actual cash, I mean you can't get more than 100% even if another club adds funds, otherwise what's the point of a cap?

The original club can partially absorb some of the cap space of a traded play at their new club. Carlton did it for us with Fev for example.

Seems very fanciful in this situation though, and seems totally predictated on the insistence of Collingwood posters that Brisbane are intending to screw Collingwood with their pants on - which clearly isn't the intention.

Isn't it about cap space rather than actual cash, I mean you can't get more than 100% even if another club adds funds, otherwise what's the point of a cap?

If Beams is on $750k p.a. and $300k of it is paid by Collingwood then only $450k comes under the salary cap of his new club.

Conversely, Collingwood would have $300k less than the full salary cap amount to pay their own players.

And just another timely plea for Collingwood posters to not give oxygen to the Brisbane supporters who keep doing the same schtick of making stupid lowball offers backed up by PSD threats. We're as tired of distancing ourselves from them as you are in arguing with them.

If Beams is on $750k p.a. and $300k of it is paid by Collingwood then only $450k comes under the salary cap of his new club.

Conversely, Collingwood would have $300k less than the full salary cap amount to pay their own players.

Or bank for the following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back