Mega Thread AFL: No Trades (READ OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw it and wow, why would we object in strong terms (see Pridham's tweet and Ireland's interviews) to something we are now down as agreeing to 6 months ago??? Ralph article (as usual) makes no sense and is just the word is has been paid to write by Eddie
Time for another e mail (with no reply)

Ralph is so obtuse. We knew change was in the air months ago. But the Commission only determined the trade ban 2 weeks back and gave us official notice in writing one week ago.

Gws are under no bans

The Lions faced no penalty in 05.

There is no precedent for our treatment. They have taken unique punitive action against us and us alone.

Really shits me that the club negotiates for months and that counts for nothing. Then they blind side us on the eve of the GF. And our response is to be puzzled. Puzzled?

Honestly, the AFL is serving us a cup of 'Because * you that's why' and we're just swallowing it?

But it is believed the AFL Commission’s initial ruling was that COLA should be dismantled this year.

The commission was told by the Swans they must honour contracts and would be unable to do so if it was taken away immediately, instead pushing for the reduction over two seasons.

Only after months of negotiations and agreement it would not be used for free agents or trade targets did Sydney and the AFL sign off on the deal.

It seems unlikely Sydney’s case will be heard by the league, but Ireland said yesterday he was keen to take his case to the AFL Commission.

“We continue to talk to Gill (McLachlan) and the administration but failing any outcome we ultimately want to speak to the Commission,” Ireland said.

If ralph wrote this I would be surprised, even he knows he can't dance with the big boys.

Im with you! I domt care let them punish us, scream from the roof tops, stuff the AFL!

I share the frustration but the club have their hands tied. If they protest too loudly the AFL will just slap further unfair restrictions on them.

We can hope the AFLPA will kick up a fuss but they're more against the principle. Whether or not that is sufficient for them to throw enough weight behind the cause is anyone's guess.

The people who can make a difference are us Swans fans (and sympathetic fans of other clubs). We are untouchable. We are the foundation upon which the AFL's success depends. No fans = no AFL. It's up to us to act on behalf of our club. We expect the players to go the extra mile for us, to sacrifice and to give everything for the good of the club. Let's show the club that we are behind them 100% on this. We can hit out at the AFL directly (by not buying their products) and through their sponsors.

As an example, we can hit them through their major sponsors and backers. Talk to anyone you know who might be considering buying a Toyota. If there's an alternative try to convince them to buy that and to let Toyota know why. That as the main sponsor of the AFL you will not buy their products while the AFL is manipulating the competition by placing unfair and unjust restrictions on The (mighty) Sydney Swans. Better yet buy a VW and let Toyota know that VW are the good guys and Toyoda are bank-rolling a bunch of cheating VFL dogs. Even if you're buying a VW anyway write to Toyota and tell them the same thing.

Cancel your Foxtel subscription (if you have one). We can also boycott games at ANZ, boycott GWS games, boycott Suns games. Hit out at the AFL's pet projects.

Indeed. Love the last paragraph - "Sydney’s error was to be very good at their job, gaining Kurt Tippett and then Buddy Franklin through precise and visionary thinking. And that’s something for which this commission will never be accused."

So very true:(

An absorbing closing paragraph...........................................pity it took 5 days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Subscription only article. Is there another way to read it ? No way am I paying any money to that biased bullshit Murdog rag.
There's a thirteen digit code at the end of the URL.

Cut and paste that into your search engine.

Bingo! No money to the Evil Empire.

If a 50-something luddite like me knows how to get around Murdoch's paywall, there's hope for us all yet.

What else could we do really? The AFLPA will be all over the AFL in the off season and the ban will be lifted for next year because we'll have lost LRT, RoK, Malcho, Membery, Goodes and Shaw and only brought in Heeney, Hiscox, Davis and two or three more 50k contracts. Surely that'll be enough to get the last of the Cola out.

Would laugh my head off if it brought us down to 95% and then we could go balls out at 105% the next year and slaughter the comp.

Would laugh my head off if it brought us down to 95% and then we could go balls out at 105% the next year and slaughter the comp.

Ability to overspend the cap does not apply to the Swans. Just all other teams. Little known clause...

An absorbing closing paragraph...........................................pity it took 5 days

The AFL tried to slip this decision under the rug while most big name journos were on holidays.

Glad to see they're coming back refreshed and disgusted enmasse.

This is the Ralph article? nothing he writes makes any sort of sense.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...m_c=content-3&itm_o=6&itm_l=Fox Feed - Sydney seeks trade ban review

The way he writes it, it was our decision not to trade in return for keeping COLa. We're the bad guys in this scenario not the intransigent AFL.

Nonsense.

He states that the league wanted to remove COLa this year and we reversed that decision by promising not to trade.

Garbage.

We held up contracts mid year waiting for the AFL ruling. They then gave us the 2 year scale down and we proceeded under those Directives.

It is common knowledge now that the Commission gave us the no trading ban on the the of the GF. Not back in June.

Ralph is just delusional.

I share the frustration but the club have their hands tied. If they protest too loudly the AFL will just slap further unfair restrictions on them.

We can hope the AFLPA will kick up a fuss but they're more against the principle. Whether or not that is sufficient for them to throw enough weight behind the cause is anyone's guess.

The people who can make a difference are us Swans fans (and sympathetic fans of other clubs). We are untouchable. We are the foundation upon which the AFL's success depends. No fans = no AFL. It's up to us to act on behalf of our club. We expect the players to go the extra mile for us, to sacrifice and to give everything for the good of the club. Let's show the club that we are behind them 100% on this. We can hit out at the AFL directly (by not buying their products) and through their sponsors.

As an example, we can hit them through their major sponsors and backers. Talk to anyone you know who might be considering buying a Toyota. If there's an alternative try to convince them to buy that and to let Toyota know why. That as the main sponsor of the AFL you will not buy their products while the AFL is manipulating the competition by placing unfair and unjust restrictions on The (mighty) Sydney Swans. Better yet buy a VW and let Toyota know that VW are the good guys and Toyoda are bank-rolling a bunch of cheating VFL dogs. Even if you're buying a VW anyway write to Toyota and tell them the same thing.

Cancel your Foxtel subscription (if you have one). We can also boycott games at ANZ, boycott GWS games, boycott Suns games. Hit out at the AFL's pet projects.

Bungee, I think the AFLPA have more than an in principle issue with this decision. It cuts to the heart of their manadate of player welfare. They've already stated this could end careers. Strong words.

I'd say they would fundamentally disagree with it and if it is not reconsidered in next year they will pursue it hard.

Might be i am too negative i just think none of the actions matter that we as fans do such as above

Saw it and wow, why would we object in strong terms (see Pridham's tweet and Ireland's interviews) to something we are now down as agreeing to 6 months ago??? Ralph article (as usual) makes no sense and is just the word is has been paid to write by Eddie

Careful sounds like a conspiracy to me.

The propaganda is so blatantly open it would make a democrat blush.

Wow. Ralphy's outrage was...totally absent in what has to be one of the blandest articles I have ever read. A near total lack of opinion. He should at least have the guts to stand up & say he totally agrees with the decisions. coward all round it appears.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back