Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
kaistar
Today at 6:57 PM
Knight who do you reckon blakley compares to in the afl the most?
Tell me your thoughts on these comparisons:

Petracca- Luke Parker
Brayshaw-travis boak
Mccartin- jack darling
Wright- Sam day
Moore- nick riewoldt
Heeney- Rory Sloane
Lever- Nick maxwell
Ahern- dale Thomas
Pickett- Leon Davis
Laverde- Steve Johnson
Weller- Steele Siddebottom
Goddard- Ben Reid
Durdin- jake carslile
Cockatoo- Adam goodes young version
Lamb- Jack watts
Marchebank- Erick Mckenzie
De goey- jimmy Bartel
Menadue- David McKay
Duggan- Andrew gaff
Garlett- danyle pearce
Also lol.

kaistar
Today at 6:57 PM
Knight who do you reckon blakley compares to in the afl the most?
Tell me your thoughts on these comparisons:

Petracca- Luke Parker
Brayshaw-travis boak
Mccartin- jack darling
Wright- Sam day
Moore- nick riewoldt
Heeney- Rory Sloane
Lever- Nick maxwell
Ahern- dale Thomas
Pickett- Leon Davis
Laverde- Steve Johnson
Weller- Steele Siddebottom
Goddard- Ben Reid
Durdin- jake carslile
Cockatoo- Adam goodes young version
Lamb- Jack watts
Marchebank- Erick Mckenzie
De goey- jimmy Bartel
Menadue- David McKay
Duggan- Andrew gaff
Garlett- danyle pearce

My player comparisons are on page one. I see most of the players a little differently to that as different positions/styles of players. Of those probably Marchbank and McKenzie is the closer comparison but the others I would think of others first.

Can you compare the differences between bonts 2013 vs Langford 2014?

Bontempelli can play through the midfield, win more of his own ball, has the more damaging skillset and is on another level when the ball hits the ground. Langford is good but not Bontempelli, not that it is clear anyone specifically in this draft will be better than Bontempelli.

Hi KM, love your work as always, gives us laymen a great resource prior to each ND.

With the Suns picks at 8, 15 & 29, do you think it's a reach to go for Clem Smith at 15? I think he could really add something to the Suns and think he may well be gone by 29. As a non-Suns fan what types do you think we need? Also is there any chance Laverde will still be there at 8 given the recent changes to the early draft selections with GWS AND Collingwood now at 4, 5, 6 and 7?

Hi KM, love your work as always, gives us laymen a great resource prior to each ND.

With the Suns picks at 8, 15 & 29, do you think it's a reach to go for Clem Smith at 15? I think he could really add something to the Suns and think he may well be gone by 29. As a non-Suns fan what types do you think we need? Also is there any chance Laverde will still be there at 8 given the recent changes to the early draft selections with GWS AND Collingwood now at 4, 5, 6 and 7?

Clem Smith after some poor endurance testing at the combine is expected to slide. I'd be inclined to say it's probable that he is available at pick 29. Pick 15 is too risky, well performed as he is, just too many questionmarks. Best position? Endurance? Footskills/decision making? Tackling - will he ever not tackle too high? etc. I see a better than fair chance of Smith being a bust so I'd be alarmed if I had pick 15 if my team was looking at him.

The primary needs for Gold Coast are experience and leadership. In the AFL youth tends to struggle and young draft picks tend to struggle without substantial veteran experience surrounding them. Positionally I'd be looking for some medium forwards/forward flankers. Some general backmen. More good midfielders if there are some good ones available. For talls GC look in a good spot and it's about finding some guys who can improve the best 22 right away.

Weller at 8 makes sense if Collingwood don't take him at 5 or GWS with one of their selections, Laverde if there could be another alternative. He has the versatility to play wherever you need him. At 15 I have Marchbank at the moment as a key defender mostly based on value but De Goey, Langford or Ahern if there as forward flankers would be strong options. At 29 I'd like to see GC add a midfielder, Bampton, Blakely, Neal-Bullen, Menadue, Gore. There will be some good mids going around that point.

Hey KM,

What are your thoughts on the Gippy Power boys, Jordan Cunico, Lukas Webb and Christian Buykx-Smith, where abouts are they likely to be picked up in any of the drafts?

Hey KM,

What are your thoughts on the Gippy Power boys, Jordan Cunico, Lukas Webb and Christian Buykx-Smith, where abouts are they likely to be picked up in any of the drafts?

All in the mix given their national combine invites but as late/rookie picks. No certainties amongst the group but Cunico is the most likely of the group. Webb a chance if someone falls in love with his kick.

Hey KM .. i really like reading your assessments.

What is your view on the tall defenders in the top 15 vs Talia in his draft year and where you thought he was at? anyone of them better? same?

Hey KM .. i really like reading your assessments.

What is your view on the tall defenders in the top 15 vs Talia in his draft year and where you thought he was at? anyone of them better? same?

Given Talia is established and terrific you'd take him over this years crop of key defenders.

Talia back in 2009 I rated somewhere around pick 10, and this years group of key defenders (Lever, Goddard, Durdin and Marchbank) I rate around that point, so they're all in that same conversation, but hard until we see them at AFL level to predict any will be as good or better.

Hey km

Id be surprised if the dogs didn't take at least 1 key defender with their 5 picks. Is Oscar macdonald the most likely in that part of the draft??

I do have Zaine Cordy going to the Dogs as a f/s selection. He is a very capable key defender.

A Michael Hartley or Matt Sully can always be had as rookies. Same story with Logan Austin and Dougal Howard.

But Lever/Goddard/Durdin/Marchbank are all highly likely to go before pick the Dogs enter the draft.

Hey KM

Reading and loving the updates and responses.

About Duggan - the only player comparison you have given is Simpson. If you had to choose another, who would it be?

I'd probably stick by the Simpson comparison. Just that versatile mid who can also play back or forward as required. Can play some inside but mostly outside.

Otherwise perhaps a more outside, higher character Bernie Vince.

Some have compared Duggan to Trent Cotchin if you're after more of a buzz name but his inside game isn't on the same level.

I'd probably stick by the Simpson comparison. Just that versatile mid who can also play back or forward as required. Can play some inside but mostly outside.

Some have compared Duggan to Trent Cotchin if you're after more of a buzz name but his inside game isn't on the same level.

Cheers.

If we don't draft him - ill agree with the "poor man's Simpson" call.

If we do draft him, ill be glad we got the next Cotchin...

KM,
You have Richmond taking a utility, 2 backmen and a forward in your updated phantom draft. Dan Richardson has clearly stated that we are after mids, ball winners early and speed later on. I know on the day that anything can happen but I feel that your Richmond picks are not even close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are your thoughts on Kyle Langford at 5?
Come draft time, he will be the bolter ala Bontempelli last year.
I'd consider LaVerde, Weller, Ahern & Langford as the 4 choices at 5 for Collingwood.

Out of interest, where did you get the contested possession stats for the TAC Cup? I'd be very interested to get that if you can provide me with a link.
I wouldn't have guessed Dale would be that high on the contested possession count. Hugely impressive given his light build if correct.

Bailey Dale has something. I he is a good inside/outside type. Skillset excellent. Reasonably quick. Hits his targets inside 50. Can shrug tackles. Strong tackler. Win his own ball, etc. Just probably doesn't find as much ball as you'd ideally like.

Late/rookie I see him as being in the mix and he is someone I'll be review as someone who is on the edge of making my top 50 power rankings.

They announced at the Stingrays B & F that Dale was 6th in TAC Cup for contested possessions and 17th for overall possessions, so he was still getting plenty of the footy, without dominating. I don't know where the stats come from but I assume it would be Champion Data. Apparently twelve clubs have already interviewed him.

I do have Zaine Cordy going to the Dogs as a f/s selection. He is a very capable key defender.

A Michael Hartley or Matt Sully can always be had as rookies. Same story with Logan Austin and Dougal Howard.

But Lever/Goddard/Durdin/Marchbank are all highly likely to go before pick the Dogs enter the draft.

You genuinely see Zaine as a key defender at the next level??

Hey KM could you see the Hawks going after Caleb Daniels I know his on the small side but is he the closet player to Replace Sam Mitchell.

some kind of effort you put on here mate, hats off to ya :thumbsu:

Is this all for enjoyment or you hoping to get noticed on here?

I've probably seen Tom Lamb live about a half dozen times, so not as much as others but enough to form a decent opinion on him. He might not work as hard defensively as players who are fighting for their spot in the side each week, but I think that's as much due to his pure attacking role as it is his own attitude problems. I don't think he's any different than some other top prospects of recent years, and from what I've seen and heard I don't imagine him having any issues in developing his defensive game at the top level.

I've probably seen Tom Lamb live about a half dozen times, so not as much as others but enough to form a decent opinion on him. He might not work as hard defensively as players who are fighting for their spot in the side each week, but I think that's as much due to his pure attacking role as it is his own attitude problems. I don't think he's any different than some other top prospects of recent years, and from what I've seen and heard I don't imagine him having any issues in developing his defensive game at the top level.
His lack of defensive effort is due purely due to fact that Tom Lamb only worries about Tom Lamb. I've seen him play since the u/9s and he has been the same the whole time. The stingrays coaches almost gave up on him because he just did his own thing and a lot of teammates (stingrays and local side) didn't like him for the same reason. The two finals I saw, he basically didn't worry about his opponent for the whole game, even when playing in the backline.

I'd consider LaVerde, Weller, Ahern & Langford as the 4 choices at 5 for Collingwood.

Sugarcoat - I agree raised it with Chris no one is beating the drum of Langford but he's rated v-high in all the phantoms.
Just saw his draft video - he can smash a ball, hard and low like Buckley used to
Laverde would be the other of course either a good show at 5

Sugarcoat - I agree raised it with Chris no one is beating the drum of Langford but he's rated v-high in all the phantoms.
Just saw his draft video - he can smash a ball, hard and low like Buckley used to
Laverde would be the other of course either a good show at 5

From memory, Langford is one of the youngest players in the draft.
A lot of AFL recruiters were blown away by Langford's game in the APS V AGS representative game.
Like Bontempelli, he has just got better and better as the year progressed.
In terms of upside, Langford is one of the best bets in the draft.

Hey KM,

Not that I'm unhappy, but what has caused Goddard and Cockatoo to slide in your most recent update?

They are the two I want most at Essendon with our picks, but had assumed they would be gone (to Freo and North respectively).

How likely do you see then ending up at the Dons?

Also, could Toby McLean slide to pick #62 or is that too hopeful?

KM,
You have Richmond taking a utility, 2 backmen and a forward in your updated phantom draft. Dan Richardson has clearly stated that we are after mids, ball winners early and speed later on. I know on the day that anything can happen but I feel that your Richmond picks are not even close.

Duggan while I don't label him a midfielder, he has spend much time on the ball this year and while I class him as a utility due to his versatility many see him more a midfielder.

I have Langford in the conversation. He's not Bontempelli. He isn't a midfielder like Bontempelli, or isn't at this stage anyway. Not a strong, not as freakish at ground level etc. But you never quite know 12 months from now what will be the case.

Langford is a real potential guy but I love his movement for a tallish type and his ability overhead is exceptional. I'm open having him on the shortlist even if there are others I prefer.

I can't say I know who Collingwood want at 5 but perhaps closer to the draft we'll have a more definite indication. But I imagine those guys will be on our extended shortlist and all be players we'll be at least discussing again pre-draft.

They announced at the Stingrays B & F that Dale was 6th in TAC Cup for contested possessions and 17th for overall possessions, so he was still getting plenty of the footy, without dominating. I don't know where the stats come from but I assume it would be Champion Data. Apparently twelve clubs have already interviewed him.

I can only imagine it's the 20 games played - with many of those playing regularly through the u18 champs and school footy others missed games which would help towards that. None the less, better than I would have expected.

You genuinely see Zaine as a key defender at the next level??

Not that he'll get an award for it but he beat Peter Wright in more 1v1 contests than he lost against him and Wright is 203cm, 102kg.

He has been a consistent player down back. I initially saw him as more of a 3rd tall given his light frame but I see his best chance as being as a key defender and all the talk is the Dogs are very high on him so he may for this year anyway be seen as enough unless there is someone else at one of the picks representing superior value.

Hey KM could you see the Hawks going after Caleb Daniels I know his on the small side but is he the closet player to Replace Sam Mitchell.

Hawthorn like kickers but generally not extreme smalls as a team who like to remain relatively tall at most positions.

Caleb Daniel isn't nearly the same level inside player so he is no Sam Mitchell replacement. More likely the hope would be to develop him into something closer to a less quick Brent Harvey on a forward flank or wing.

some kind of effort you put on here mate, hats off to ya :thumbsu:

Is this all for enjoyment or you hoping to get noticed on here?

Hoping eventually to get noticed. Until I do I'll just keep working at it and continue improving and stepping it up with every year.

Hey KM,

Not that I'm unhappy, but what has caused Goddard and Cockatoo to slide in your most recent update?

They are the two I want most at Essendon with our picks, but had assumed they would be gone (to Freo and North respectively).

How likely do you see then ending up at the Dons?

Also, could Toby McLean slide to pick #62 or is that too hopeful?

Goddard doesn't seem as far as I'm aware rated as highly in clubland as I regard him and wanted that reflected in my updated draft order.

Cockatoo I'm playing it conservative with until I hear something more definitive.

Both Goddard and Cockatoo are as likely as anyone else.

Toby McLean is a chance to be available at 62. I'm a big fan but whether AFL clubs him as much as I do, remains to be seen. I've heard nothing definite as to where he will land or in what range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back