Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you see Essendon playing him with Daniher and Bellchambers/Giles/Carlisle successfully?
Even though he is good at ground level, I still think that lineup I way too top heavy. 4 blokes 190cm+ in our forward line, the oppositions agile rebounding defenders would go to town. Chuck ambrose into the equation as well, he doesn't suit our needs.

Last edited:
i mean no disrespect by this but how many times have you seen him live?
If a club can get him right his attributes are huge - the kid can play, but it largely depends which Lamb turns up to play on any particular day.
Exactly, could be an absolute gun given his endurance and if he was more consistent + was more accountable, however I don't want us to be the club to take the risk on him especially after our loss of draft picks over the past couple of years

Hey KM

In what draft range do you think Lukas Webb and Ryan Lim will be selected?

What do you see are the main weaknesses with both of these players?

Thanks

Hi KM. What are your thoughts on Bailey Dale? I saw that he was 6th in the TAC Cup for contested possessions this year and is a super tackler with very good all-round skills. Is he a chance to get drafted or possibly go in the rookie draft? Thanks.

Bailey Dale is a gun originally played for edithvale-aspendale along with tom lamb my local club both are great players

Richmond's last 5 1st round selections:
2013 - Lennon - Med fwd/mid
2012 - Vlastuin - med def/mid
2011 - Ellis - mid
2010 - Conca - mid
2009 - Martin - mid/med fwd

the last KP that they took with their 1st pick was Vickery in 2008......not a very good one either!

They need a top end KP talent coming through.

No offence to your mock draft, it's a great read, but whoever is Richmond's draft guru should be sacked if they don't take the best KP available on draft day with their 1st pick (pick 12).

Richmond's last 5 1st round selections:
2013 - Lennon - Med fwd/mid
2012 - Vlastuin - med def/mid
2011 - Ellis - mid
2010 - Conca - mid
2009 - Martin - mid/med fwd

the last KP that they took with their 1st pick was Vickery in 2008......not a very good one either!

They need a top end KP talent coming through.

No offence to your mock draft, it's a great read, but whoever is Richmond's draft guru should be sacked if they don't take the best KP available on draft day with their 1st pick (pick 12).

There is absolutely no chance Richmond will take a KPP with its first 3 selections in the draftm There might be a slight chance with our selection #77 of taking a Ruckman to develope

KPD
Astbury - 23 yo-196cm
Grimes - 23yo-194cm
Rance - 25yo- 194cm
Elton - 22yo - 197cm
McIntosh -21yo - 192cm
Chaplin - 28yo - 196cm

KPF
Riewoldt -25yo- 195cm
Griffiths -23yo - 200cm
Vickery - 24yo - 200cm
McBean - 20yo - 204cm

Ruck
Ivan Maric - 28 - 200cm
Soldo Maric - 18yo - 204cm
Shaun Hampson - 26yo - 201cm

Thats 13 players that are all either KPP or Ruckman a third of the list without even including potential rookie selections and all KPP 25 or under except Chaplin.

i mean no disrespect by this but how many times have you seen him live?
If a club can get him right his attributes are huge - the kid can play, but it largely depends which Lamb turns up to play on any particular day.

I've probably seen Tom Lamb live about a half dozen times, so not as much as others but enough to form a decent opinion on him. He might not work as hard defensively as players who are fighting for their spot in the side each week, but I think that's as much due to his pure attacking role as it is his own attitude problems. I don't think he's any different than some other top prospects of recent years, and from what I've seen and heard I don't imagine him having any issues in developing his defensive game at the top level.

I have Ahern at 23 on my draft board (haven't update it on page 1) but Ahern is generally seen as likely to go somewhere around pick 10 and very possibly top 10. Ahern is more outside than inside as a fwd/mid so he is a fairly logical fit for GWS.

Durdin probably still goes before Goddard but I slightly favour Goddard. I've been particularly impressed with what Goddard has done down back late season. With Durdin this year he has shown his best signs through the ruck at SA colts level, which isn't where he is going at the next level so I query to a small extent how good Durdin is down back, slightly preferring what Goddard offers as someone who can rebound as Durdin can but also completely take guys out of games.

I'm a fan of Blakely also but for one reason or another he is mostly seen as someone who will go around pick 30 (give or take 10 picks either way). I'd be looking somewhere just after pick 15 to take him myself if looking for a mid.

Wright makes sense for GWS at 4 if Melbourne don't take him as he is good both forward and through the ruck and if things go spectacularly right probably does have the highest ceiling of anyone in this draft class. But similarly Lever makes sense down back. If Melbourne let both through Collingwood probably pass to go small anyway so it's highly likely that GWS can take two of the better bigs early.

Thanks Knightmare,
My ideal draft would be 4)McCartin, 6) Wright, 7) Goddard, 23) Steele, 24) Blakely...62) Finlayson
Are you sure Collingwood would let McCartin and/or Wright through to 6?

Knightmare i love your work but no way we take durdin at 10 after our trade period. Mids it is,preferably with speed.

Question,which of weller,pickett,laverde and ahern do you think are most likely to fall to 10 and in the (unlikely) event they were all there,who would you pick and why?
Not so sure PO, Durdin seems to be a classic Wells pick.
Has been injured and missed a quite a few games, versatile can play forward, back and ruck and is a South Aussie and Wellsy loves his Croweaters

Hey Knightmare, What is the best case scenario for Marchbank, and what is the worst case scenario for Marchbank

Thanks Knightmare,
My ideal draft would be 4)McCartin, 6) Wright, 7) Goddard, 23) Steele, 24) Blakely...62) Finlayson
I know they are called the giants and one has gone(Boyd) but that ridiculous to have that many key forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Km, I like your picks for the Kangaroos in Cockatoo / Menadue / Kietel. Would not mind Hugh Beasley in our 4th/ rookie pick. Replacement for Firrito.

Km, if Goddard and Marcbank were available for our pick 14 who would we go for? (assuming durdin is taken) and with pick 35 who realistically is the quickest and best user of the footy at that pick?

Whoever is highest rated on Adelaide's draft board and it could be either of them.

Marchbank is probably the more experienced key defender playing more of his junior footy there. Goddard is my personal preference of the two but they're both in the same conversation and should both be assessed closely with that selection in case they both are available, which is entirely possible.

At 35 Daniel McKenzie if there is the combo quick/kicker as a real top end athlete but can also really hit his targets long and lace out. I have him going slightly earlier but he is a fair chance to be available.

Hey knightmare any chance bombers look at lamb or Mckenzie with there two top pick ? & u have that gws academy player finlayson going to bombers too

Both Lamb and McKenzie will be in the mix. McKenzie particularly makes sense. I imagine the Bombers take whoever is top of their draft board and both will be in the mix for that at 17/20.

Good eye re. Finlayson. I'll get him to GWS next update and give Essendon perhaps Billy Evans as a tall, big bodied midfielder to get another name in there.

if a refusal to chase, work hard defensively, or be totally unaccountable when playing down back isnt attitude then how would you describe him?

With Lamb I wouldn't be hard on him in that way. It just seems a general lack of awareness. He has the endurance to run better than most, he just constantly seems out of position, particularly in defense when the opposition side has the ball - letting his man goal side etc.

Hi KM. What are your thoughts on Bailey Dale? I saw that he was 6th in the TAC Cup for contested possessions this year and is a super tackler with very good all-round skills. Is he a chance to get drafted or possibly go in the rookie draft? Thanks.

Out of interest, where did you get the contested possession stats for the TAC Cup? I'd be very interested to get that if you can provide me with a link.
I wouldn't have guessed Dale would be that high on the contested possession count. Hugely impressive given his light build if correct.

Bailey Dale has something. I he is a good inside/outside type. Skillset excellent. Reasonably quick. Hits his targets inside 50. Can shrug tackles. Strong tackler. Win his own ball, etc. Just probably doesn't find as much ball as you'd ideally like.

Late/rookie I see him as being in the mix and he is someone I'll be review as someone who is on the edge of making my top 50 power rankings.

Hey KM

In what draft range do you think Lukas Webb and Ryan Lim will be selected?

What do you see are the main weaknesses with both of these players?

Thanks

Neither are locks to get drafted but late/rookie draft are in the mix.

Webb is a terrific kick and has the versatility to play forward or back. Just doesn't consistently dominate or outside of his kick have enough other weapons.

Lim is an excellent athlete but ball use lets him down and needs to improve.

Km

What's happened to jack donkersley??

Don't know the personal circumstances re. Donkersley other than he hasn't elevated his game in any meaningful way and others have gone past him.

KM, who do you reckon the blues will take with their first four picks (19, 28, 61, 65)?

Tom Lamb, Reece McKenzie, Thomas Wilkinson and Billy Gowers are the guys I have going to Carlton to give a mix of midfielders and a dominant, big key forward. Doesn't mean any of those picks eventuate, after about pick 10 most years it's just logically guessing based on roughly where guys are expected to go blended in with team needs.

Thanks Knightmare,

Based off my power rankings that would be about the outcome I'd be hoping for for GWS also.

Blakely at 62 is a stretch and won't happen, it's hard to see him lasting beyond pick 32 let alone 62. Oscar McDonald or Toby McLean are more the guys who could go later and around that point if they slide. Otherwise Caleb Daniel will be there at 62 and given GWS don't have any sub 180cm players other than Devon Smith as far as I can think of off the top of my head, he'd be a terrific fit for GWS.

Hey Knightmare, What is the best case scenario for Marchbank, and what is the worst case scenario for Marchbank

Best case scenario is Marchbank becomes Daniel Talia. Worst case is he becomes Matt Maguire - in that missing games sense.

Hey Km, I like your picks for the Kangaroos in Cockatoo / Menadue / Kietel. Would not mind Hugh Beasley in our 4th/ rookie pick. Replacement for Firrito.

Beasley is gaining some legs and for good reason. As a rookie he'd be a strong selection.

Intriguing, for some reason you have Hawks down as drafting a lot of Mid/Def... Hawks will draft Harrison Dear just saying, but as a Rookie. Hawks can only use four of their picks at max at this moment.

Intriguing, for some reason you have Hawks down as drafting a lot of Mid/Def... Hawks will draft Harrison Dear just saying, but as a Rookie. Hawks can only use four of their picks at max at this moment.

It's more just throwing together the leftovers late draft of who is in the mix to get drafted.

Hawthorn would I imagine prefer some good talls and good inside mids but options late draft will be relatively scarce.

Hey KM,

Who do you think is the best midfielder that will be available for selection in the late draft picks, i.e. pick 45 onwards to rookie draft?

Perhaps when you consider the "best", I technically mean which has the most upside to develop into a top midfielder and has the tools (i.e. decent speed, endurance, good kicking, vision, read plays well etc).

Thanks

Knightmare , all ways good to read you draft as your refine it. Like Durdin for the Cats but that would put us quite tall.... a little bit of debate on Durdin V Goddard as the best defender on our board....opinon?

and as for our three last picks I suspect we will go for mids that can run with all the usual criteria of disposal etc. Daniel may be a tad to small but guys that are expected to be post 40 with good speed and beep test would interest me.... in fact the best mids in that range I guess. Be handy if one was ready to go after losing Varcoe and Christensen.Would mids in that range be better than someone like Panos for instance.

Knight who do you reckon blakley compares to in the afl the most?
Tell me your thoughts on these comparisons:

Petracca- Luke Parker
Brayshaw-travis boak
Mccartin- jack darling
Wright- Sam day
Moore- nick riewoldt
Heeney- Rory Sloane
Lever- Nick maxwell
Ahern- dale Thomas
Pickett- Leon Davis
Laverde- Steve Johnson
Weller- Steele Siddebottom
Goddard- Ben Reid
Durdin- jake carslile
Cockatoo- Adam goodes young version
Lamb- Jack watts
Marchebank- Erick Mckenzie
De goey- jimmy Bartel
Menadue- David McKay
Duggan- Andrew gaff
Garlett- danyle pearce

Last edited:
Hey KM,

Who do you think is the best midfielder that will be available for selection in the late draft picks, i.e. pick 45 onwards to rookie draft?

Perhaps when you consider the "best", I technically mean which has the most upside to develop into a top midfielder and has the tools (i.e. decent speed, endurance, good kicking, vision, read plays well etc).

Thanks

Bampton, Gore, Neal-Bullen if any of those guys slide would be terrific. Damien Cavka may slide.

Caleb Daniel if you don't mind going for a midget will be available. Otherwise Taylor Grace and Nathan Drummond as overagers could be worth a shot from 45 onward and both should be available - though both have their limitations.

Jackson Nelson, Jaden McGrath, Touk Miller, Brett Turner and Cory Gregson although not inside my top 50 are inside my top 60 and are other pretty good mids.

Hey KM, what are Dougal Howard's chances of being drafted looking like? I've heard that Adelaide and Freo have showed interest in the tall defender.

Dougal Howard is in the mix. Performed strongly in the curtain-raiser to the grand final. Looked terrific up forward. But can also play back. He is a project player as many of those div 2 guys are but if taken most likely it will be as a rookie.

Knightmare , all ways good to read you draft as your refine it. Like Durdin for the Cats but that would put us quite tall.... a little bit of debate on Durdin V Goddard as the best defender on our board....opinon?

and as for our three last picks I suspect we will go for mids that can run with all the usual criteria of disposal etc. Daniel may be a tad to small but guys that are expected to be post 40 with good speed and beep test would interest me.... in fact the best mids in that range I guess. Be handy if one was ready to go after losing Varcoe and Christensen.Would mids in that range be better than someone like Panos for instance.

It's a close call re. Durdin v Goddard. Marchbank also deserves to be in that conversation and would if not for the injuries he has had these past couple of seasons.

Goddard for me slightly over Durdin. Goddard's ability to stop guys is on another level. You can just feel the impact on the guy he is on decrease as he picks them up.

Knight know any of the prospects for next year.
My good mates brother is a killer prospect in smjfl div 1 captained a premiership side best a field two league best and fairests in a row.

I know some of the prospects eligible next year but mostly the top end guys who are AIS/dominant at TAC level already/have play u18s last year.

kaistar
Today at 6:57 PM
Knight who do you reckon blakley compares to in the afl the most?
Tell me your thoughts on these comparisons:

Petracca- Luke Parker
Brayshaw-travis boak
Mccartin- jack darling
Wright- Sam day
Moore- nick riewoldt
Heeney- Rory Sloane
Lever- Nick maxwell
Ahern- dale Thomas
Pickett- Leon Davis
Laverde- Steve Johnson
Weller- Steele Siddebottom