Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No brandon ellis is robbery

High production. Low impact as a low % contested ball winner and a low damage per possession outside player.

I could name 60 players from 2010-2014 I'd take ahead of Brandon.

It comes down to what you value though.

High production. Low impact as a low % contested ball winner and a low damage per possession outside player.

I could name 60 players from 2010-2014 I'd take ahead of Brandon.

It comes down to what you value though.
That would have to be one of your worst opinions.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...er-the-age-of-22/story-e6frf3e3-1227378502951
People have him as top 5 in the 2011 draft to not have him in the top 50 is a joke
http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/07/01/revisiting-the-2011-afl-draft-2/

That would have to be one of your worst opinions.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...er-the-age-of-22/story-e6frf3e3-1227378502951
People have him as top 5 in the 2011 draft to not have him in the top 50 is a joke
http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/07/01/revisiting-the-2011-afl-draft-2/

Those are some opinions.

But have you considered Brandon Ellis is rated 196 in the AFL.com.au player ratings overall standings? Given he has played 23 games each of the past two seasons, and the system leans heavily towards those who play every game. I find it interesting and consistent with my views of Ellis' performance who if not managed even 160 contested possessions in any season to date.

Ellis is a fine component to a team. But no star.

9. Jordan De Goey
11. Brodie Grundy
19. Darcy Moore

26. Adam Treloar
33. Jamie Elliott
40. Marley Williams
41. Taylor Adams

It's hardly perfect and a 20min attempt on my part, but it's a rough attempt. I could spend a whole day on it and move various players 20 spots up/down. But this roughly would be the 50 I'd go with in a rough order.
Miles should be definitely in the top 50. Rated higher than 5 of the 7 Collingwood players you have in. Better player than Elliot too IMO.

Miles should be definitely in the top 50. Rated higher than 5 of the 7 Collingwood players you have in. Better player than Elliot too IMO.

Miles is something like Richmond's Adams equivalent in Collingwood terms. Accumulator, strong contested ball winner with a very good inside game. Just limited impact otherwise as someone who offers limited scoreboard impact and is a below average user of the footy. With Miles smaller, a year older and a slightly lower production version. Adams gets the points between the two and also being a year younger and less small I also anticipate his scope to continue developing is the greater of the two.

Given Miles is a good but not dominant ball winner without that completeness of game. He is not at all a definite top 50 player.

As for Elliott. He is a forward rather than a midfielder. But I'd take him first as a 100+ mark per year, 30+ goal per year small forward, as something there aren't so many of.

Miles is something like Richmond's Adams equivalent in Collingwood terms. Accumulator, strong contested ball winner with a very good inside game. Just limited impact otherwise as someone who offers limited scoreboard impact and is a below average user of the footy. With Miles smaller, a year older and a slightly lower production version. Adams gets the points between the two and also being a year younger and less small I also anticipate his scope to continue developing is the greater of the two.

Given Miles is a good but not dominant ball winner without that completeness of game. He is not at all a definite top 50 player.

As for Elliott. He is a forward rather than a midfielder. But I'd take him first as a 100+ mark per year, 30+ goal per year small forward, as something there aren't so many of.
Not quoting the player ratings now I see.

Interesting the rating for 2015 between the two in Inside Football

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/116630/Jamie-ELLIOTT
Elliot 20 games average rating 5.4.
There are better and more consistent small forwards in the 2010 - 2014 period. Puopolo, Cripps, Wingard,

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/115783/Anthony-MILES
Miles 23 games average rating 6.4
Showed he was a big game player with high rating games against Hawks, Swans and North.

Interesting the rating for 2015 between the two in Inside Football

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/116630/Jamie-ELLIOTT
Elliot 20 games average rating 5.4.
There are better and more consistent small forwards in the 2010 - 2014 period. Puopolo, Cripps, Wingard,

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/115783/Anthony-MILES
Miles 23 games average rating 6.4
Showed he was a big game player with high rating games against Hawks, Swans and North.

Miles while he may have a higher average rating than Elliott, still in overall rating is behind Elliott (113) to Miles (117) overall if going by the aflplayerratings.

Additionally worth noting. Miles is not a top 50 midfielder in the game based on aflplayerratings whereas Elliott is rated the 12th highest rated small/medium forward.

So understanding that midfielders tend to have higher ratings than small forwards, and Miles doesn't even have that as he wasn't a regular from the start of the 2014 season for Richmond with the calculations taking into account a sample of two seasons of work. I'm not so sure why you're so hell bent on your suggestion that Miles is better than Elliott.

My view is if I'm starting a team. I'd much rather have Elliott because he is among the better small forwards in the league. Whereas Miles is a good, but only a good midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miles while he may have a higher average rating than Elliott, still in overall rating is behind Elliott (113) to Miles (117) overall if going by the aflplayerratings.

Additionally worth noting. Miles is not a top 50 midfielder in the game based on aflplayerratings whereas Elliott is rated the 12th highest rated small/medium forward.

So understanding that midfielders tend to have higher ratings than small forwards, and Miles doesn't even have that as he wasn't a regular from the start of the 2014 season for Richmond with the calculations taking into account a sample of two seasons of work. I'm not so sure why you're so hell bent on your suggestion that Miles is better than Elliott.

My view is if I'm starting a team. I'd much rather have Elliott because he is among the better small forwards in the league. Whereas Miles is a good, but only a good midfielder.
Miles is not far from elite considering his impact around stoppages, high number of contested possessions and his record in big games. Much more consistent than Elliot.

Miles is not far from elite considering his impact around stoppages, high number of contested possessions and his record in big games. Much more consistent than Elliot.

Elliott I would agree was inconsistent this year, and for the first time in his career I would make that claim after being a generally consistent forward previously. With forwards it is generally wise to take into account that there is variance in quality of delivery (consistently poor from Collingwood's midfield that outside of Pendlebury lacks polish) as well as variance in the quantity of delivery. Midfielders on the other hand are around the ball thoughtout games and as such by position tend to have substantially greater consistency. So claiming Miles has greater consistency than Elliott is an empty argument.

Describing Miles as elite around stoppages is also inaccurate. Elite at stoppages is Fyfe, Dangerfield, J.Kennedy. Not Miles. Miles does not even feature in the top 20 for contested possessions, clearances or centre clearances on an average per game basis.

Miles is merely a component to a midfield. And I'd say the same of Adams for Collingwood, though he still like Elliott in my view better than Miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back