Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jed Anderson has only just turned 21 as at 2/2/15, so I'm assuming he is still eligible for the rising star award?....Missed all of last year with pneumonia/Shoulder & has only played 6 games thus far in 2013.

Will take some beating I'd of thought, if he is indeed eligible!

With Anderson it will be interesting to see how prominently he will feature in Hawthorn's midfield if he does become a regular. He is from what I understand eligible. If I was to list a top 10 chances for the rising star Anderson would make that list given he is those years older and more capable of having an immediate impact. I just don't have him top 5 in the Rising Star at this point given I see him as a 15-22 player at Hawthorn given the talent of so many others on that list. The thing for Anderson is just securing a position in the best 22 and maintaining that position over the season. That's more what I'd be hoping for with Anderson more so than game-changing influence on the outcome of games.

Have been impressed with Anderson's NAB 1 (see earlier posts) so signs so far promising for this coming season.

With Anderson it will be interesting to see how prominently he will feature in Hawthorn's midfield if he does become a regular. He is from what I understand eligible. If I was to list a top 10 chances for the rising star Anderson would make that list given he is those years older and more capable of having an immediate impact. I just don't have him top 5 in the Rising Star at this point given I see him as a 15-22 player at Hawthorn given the talent of so many others on that list. The thing for Anderson is just securing a position in the best 22 and maintaining that position over the season. That's more what I'd be hoping for with Anderson more so than game-changing influence on the outcome of games.

Have been impressed with Anderson's NAB 1 (see earlier posts) so signs so far promising for this coming season.

Injuries aside, Anderson will be a lock for the 22 this season.....Ergo, get on him!

Hi again Knightmare,

Just one last quick query regarding Alec Waterman. You had him rated very highly from a DT perspective earlier in the year but then he seemed to slip of everyone's radar and fell late in the draft. I was wondering what you thought on him in terms of scoring potential and potential to play (both this year and career wise).

Cheers!

Hi again Knightmare,

Just one last quick query regarding Alec Waterman. You had him rated very highly from a DT perspective earlier in the year but then he seemed to slip of everyone's radar and fell late in the draft. I was wondering what you thought on him in terms of scoring potential and potential to play (both this year and career wise).

Cheers!

Hard to see Waterman breaking into West Coast's team this year, or really any year with an even and very deep midfield (albeit without star power). I just query Waterman's development, he was better the year before his draft year and unless he really turns that around I wouldn't have him on my short-list.

If playing he could average 50dt, but I just don't see him getting any games this year, and perhaps none in the future unless he really improves greatly. Until you hear that news that he is training the house down with reports that he looks set to debut I'd be looking at other options.

Hard to see Waterman breaking into West Coast's team this year, or really any year with an even and very deep midfield (albeit without star power). I just query Waterman's development, he was better the year before his draft year and unless he really turns that around I wouldn't have him on my short-list.

If playing he could average 50dt, but I just don't see him getting any games this year, and perhaps none in the future unless he really improves greatly. Until you hear that news that he is training the house down with reports that he looks set to debut I'd be looking at other options.

I agree with the probability of game time early in 2015 or at all but he improved a lot in 2014 in certain aspects of his game. Waterman needs to become a dominant clearance player and kick goals regularly at WAFL level before he's considered a potential AFL midfielder. It's hard to see him being a bit flanker at this stage.

In terms of scoreboard impact Waterman fell down from an impressive 2013. But it comes primarily from a change in role and where he won the ball, he went from playing larger minutes on the wing and flanks to playing the predominant amount of time out of the guts and for a player of his pace that effects the ability to get into scoring positions. He lifted his contested ball game to a new level in 2014 and was at times simply a tour de force at stoppages, with high clearance numbers and effective ball use. He also improved the defensive side of his game.

Second aspect of that is how injury free Waterman was in 2013 relative to 2015 and his weight, he was untroubled for most of 13 and had constant problems throughout 14. Had Waterman continued to grow and strung out a little more then he'd probably not have stacked on as much mass and he wouldn't have slowed down as much and helped him accumulate more possession.

Waterman was the Eagles best player in last weekends preseason hit out for East Perth and one of East Perth's better players broadly speaking, (it was a weak team). He's undergone substantial physical change since arriving on the list, dropping noticeable amounts in the way of skin folds and adding more mass across his shoulders and arms. But he'll always be a nugget.

Knight: Wouldn't mind your current views on Gore in relation to a DT keepers league (perhaps after tomorrow nights game if you are watching it). Do you see him breaking into the cats team, and if so how many games roughly, and what role? He is available at the end of my DT draft. I dont need young mids, so would be picking because he is too good to pass on. Cheers in advance

Josh Glenn, Vicker-Willis, Menadue, Hamilton, Bailey Dale, Goodyear, Jackson Nelson are all still available as well to give you a guide. Position of most need is backs, but happy to take best talent if Gore is a standout

Sorry to highjack your page for DT questions...but you know your rookies :)

Last edited:
Jack martin is the one to beat for the NAB Rising Star.

Jack Martin will improve, not eligible for the Rising Star as established above but I'm not expecting him to breakout and become a best few young player in the comp. He can be a regular and provide a spark here and there with his pace and overhead marking with some occasional goals, but I don't see him dominating for some time yet.

Knight: Wouldn't mind your current views on Gore in relation to a DT keepers league (perhaps after tomorrow nights game if you are watching it). Do you see him breaking into the cats team, and if so how many games roughly, and what role? He is available at the end of my DT draft. I dont need young mids, so would be picking because he is too good to pass on. Cheers in advance

Josh Glenn, Vicker-Willis, Menadue, Hamilton, Bailey Dale, Goodyear, Jackson Nelson are all still available as well to give you a guide. Position of most need is backs, but happy to take best talent if Gore is a standout

Sorry to highjack your page for DT questions...but you know your rookies :)

DT questions are fine. It's the offseason after all.

Dean Gore isn't playing tonight but if he plays he will presumably play mostly on the ball with perhaps the occasional stints on a forward flank. Geelong right now need on-ballers. Their midfield is terrible specifically relating to winning the contested footy and clearances. I'd love to see him receive senior opportunities but it's such an unknown if he debuts or if he does how often he plays. The key information is that he has played SANFL League footy and performed to a strong level there so he can make the transition sooner rather than later if an opportunity presents.

Of those you mention it comes down to probability of having an AFL career. Gore and Menadue of those you list are the two I see as the most likely to have a long term AFL career. Just the difference being Gore can play from season one and Menadue is more likely around season three to then push to be a regular at AFL level as a light body. Gore if playing can find and win more of the footy so he has more a game conducive to fantasy football but Mendaue's upside (if things go right) is greater.

Of those, give me Gore and consider Menadue down the track if signs are promising.

If you want a backman outside the first round strongly consider Brayden Maynard. Not many great back specific options from last years draft but he is one who projects to be a long term player and a good ball winner who later in his career may/may not turn into a midfielder.

Dean Gore isn't playing tonight but if he plays he will presumably play mostly on the ball with perhaps the occasional stints on a forward flank. Geelong right now need on-ballers. Their midfield is terrible specifically relating to winning the contested footy and clearances. I'd love to see him receive senior opportunities but it's such an unknown if he debuts or if he does how often he plays. The key information is that he has played SANFL League footy and performed to a strong level there so he can make the transition sooner rather than later if an opportunity presents.

Watched a bit the VFL v Pies today , Gore was not outstanding. Still will have to work to get into the AFL side I feel. I think Cockatoo will get early games though.

Yes we need mids , but you can just jump the time they need. Im sure time in the VFL will serve them well. Liked what I saw of Cunico.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jackson Nelson will get games for WCE this year in the backline.

Probably right. Saw his NAB 1 and looked ok.

Only problem for fantasy football players is he is midfield only listed.

Watched a bit the VFL v Pies today , Gore was not outstanding. Still will have to work to get into the AFL side I feel. I think Cockatoo will get early games though.

Yes we need mids , but you can just jump the time they need. Im sure time in the VFL will serve them well. Liked what I saw of Cunico.

Steve Johnson on an interview on AFL.com went out of his way to mention Gore as someone who impressed him and played a big role in the VFL v Collingwood.

I wasn't at the game to have any comments myself though so I can't add anything further.

Knightmare just wondering when you will be putting up your 2015 draft thanks mate?

Knightmare just wondering when you will be putting up your 2015 draft thanks mate?

I'm hoping to start up my own website and post it on there.

If that falls through I'll post my phantom on here as normal as soon as that decision is made.

I've completed a 4 round phantom with limited one line profiles just to give people some names and a basic idea of who they are, but my preference is to first post my phantom draft for this year on the website on launch.

Be handy at Geelong , ;). Nice player RE? Plays a good strong game?

Outstanding user of the footy, either foot.
Is a hard nut as well, very physical and tackles hard.
Looks a good replacement for Beau Waters, really quite excited for him now looks like a wiil play round
1 along with Tom Lamb.

Knightmare , was not sure where to ask this.. Is there a list of guys that you and Chris rated but missed being Drafted/Rookied for some reason in each draft...? Im sure there was a heap..and they seem to just disappear. Hourigan for example over in SA where is he, thought he was a reasonable kid

Maybe a bit underdeveloped or unfit but after a year or two in VFL or SANFL etc ... to me it make sense for the likes of Geelong /Collingwood etc to have a couple of these guys list as VFL types and perhaps look at them as Rookies down the track.

Knightmare , was not sure where to ask this.. Is there a list of guys that you and Chris rated but missed being Drafted/Rookied for some reason in each draft...? Im sure there was a heap..and they seem to just disappear. Hourigan for example over in SA where is he, thought he was a reasonable kid

Maybe a bit underdeveloped or unfit but after a year or two in VFL or SANFL etc ... to me it make sense for the likes of Geelong /Collingwood etc to have a couple of these guys list as VFL types and perhaps look at them as Rookies down the track.

Peter Bampton, Brett Turner, Brett Eddy, Garrett McDonagh, and Aidan Anderson where those inside my top 60 to get overlooked last year.

Of these Bampton and Turner particularly are two to watch beyond this year. In my mind clubs missed out on some legit ball players by skipping on these two as mids with Turner also capable forward of centre. Assuming they both keep at it and put in the work, I see no reason they can't get drafted.

Then Brett Eddy was the best state league key forward and presumably backs up his performance from last season.

Garrett McDonagh is an absolutely incredible long kick and I hope he continues playing and has been picked up by someone.

And Aidan Anderson coming into the draft I heard some rumours of personality questions, but he is a guy where the talent is there if he matures.

Knightmare and Chris25.

Have the 2 of you met in person to discuss draft prospects in the past?

Not only have I not met Chris25 but I haven't met any of the regular phantom draft writers. I've met a small number of those who read my drafts and a small number from the Pies board - mostly just co-incidental than planned. But that's all.

I imagine it's mostly down to location. Most of the other really active phantom draft writers from this board as far as I'm aware are from interstate.

Lukas Webb probably making an early debut (named on the field in 25 man squad). A bit of a surprise?

Definitely a surprise to see Webb played so early in the season. Toby McLean and Caleb Daniel were the Dogs two better pickups last year. They're the only guys I was expecting to see this year from last years group drafted, even on a depleted Dogs team.

The Dogs need kickers so Webb is a logical addition from that standpoint into the senior side. And in addition to his long bullet left foot kick he is a nice height, good overhead and is a multi-positional player. So those are the good bits.

I haven't tracked Webb's VFL practice match form to know how he has performed. He must be going well to get given the opportunity.

Webb from my observations last year can have the odd big game, but it's typically few and far between with only the one TAC Cup game and one U18 Champs game that really captured my attention and the others games you'd shrug your shoulders at. So as such it was surprising the Dogs took him so early in last years draft, and also surprising to me that he is getting such an early senior opportunity. But hopefully Webb proves me wrong, not just one week, but I'm talking a series of consecutive weeks of strong performances. That's when I'll take notice of his performance.

#31 Hawthorn – Touk Miller (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 178.2cm, Weight: 82.6kg, DOB: 22/02/1996
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Range: 20-45
Profile: Powerful inside midfielder.
Looking back on this, you got Wright and Garlett right, but boy am I glad Hawthorn didn't get Miller! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back