Game Day Round 1: Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns MCG , 1:40pm AEDT Saturday, April 4, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So,bwith Stretch locked in, and assuming we take Brayshaw and McCartin, if these 3 carve it up in the preseason with training and NAB cup games, they won't play coz they're unproven? That's just stupid. Can imagine the selection meeting. Nah we'll play M Jones and Bail coz they've tried really hard to be a fringe player. These 3 kids are already better but I wanna see how they perform against North Ballarat first. If you're ready, you're ready. That precisely what the pre season is for. You don't have to earn a spot at Casey if you've already done it by round 1

You don't really learn transition running and positioning at stoppages in round 1

Roos will want to make sure we win round 1 next year so don't be surprised to see a number of potatoes get a game if it means we have a reliable first up team

You don't really learn transition running and positioning at stoppages in round 1

Roos will want to make sure we win round 1 next year so don't be surprised to see a number of potatoes get a game if it means we have a reliable first up team
Think he has already seen 22 rounds from our players. Feel Brayshaw, Stretch, Frost and McCartin will all be ready round 1 possibly against WCE at MCG. Give them a taste of it. Then round 2 Dawes back, and pick best 22.

Round 1 of the fixture has been leaked. We've got Gold Coast at the G on a Saturday arvo. Winnable, but going off past round 1 performances i won't be holding my breath.

The way I see it we're an equally good chance to beat GC as we are to beat St Kilda, WB, etc.

Also Roosy isn't an idiot. We aren't going to win games without winning clearances. Brayshaw is a big bodied mid - I would bet my life that if he's fit he'll be playing R1 in the red and blue, unless he goes #1.

Think he has already seen 22 rounds from our players. Feel Brayshaw, Stretch, Frost and McCartin will all be ready round 1 possibly against WCE at MCG. Give them a taste of it. Then round 2 Dawes back, and pick best 22.

We won't win if we are debuting 4 players

Frost wouldn't be debuting per se, but I can't see Stretch or McCartin being ready for round one.

I doubt Roos would select 3 first year players in round 1, he believes young players have to earn their spots via good performances in the reserves. One of these guys maybe, Brayshaw the most likely if we get him. Stretch, almost no chance, McCartin if we get him, zero chance unless all of Pedersen, Fitz, Gawn, and Hogan are injured.

It's a rule of logic.

Myth and fantasy. If Johnny No Games is better than Billy 100 Games, we should play JNG regardless of whether he's debuting or not. If you're in a position to consider debuting 4 kids, it's the state of the list in general and not the relative experience of your spuds and kids that is the issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's with the Round 1 fixture being 'leaked'? Pretty sure the AFL just straight up released it.

It's right up there with Jennifer Lawrence / the Fappening as scandals of the year.

Funny to think this is the first time in four seasons we will go in underdog round 1. Definitely were favourites against Brisbane in Stynes game and Saints game. Think we were against Port too.

I don't care how much we lose by. Ablett being out and their collapse has made people forget how much talent they have to work with all over the ground. Adding the reigning AA rebounding defender doesn't do much harm either.

What I do care about is how much our players try. If they put in a four quarter shift and are genuinely hungry, the result will reflect that.

Myth and fantasy. If Johnny No Games is better than Billy 100 Games, we should play JNG regardless of whether he's debuting or not. If you're in a position to consider debuting 4 kids, it's the state of the list in general and not the relative experience of your spuds and kids that is the issue.

The four debutants may get it plenty but won't have the energy for 4 quarters or true 2 way running

Is as much about the team as the individual and squeezing 3 debutants plus frost into the line up is not the way to start

Don't know if you've been following along, but our first round games haven't been all that strong with what you would call 'senior' players.

If they are fit enough and have proven themselves in training, put them out there. Especially guys like Brayshaw. Mcartin/Hogan with Garlett up forward would be mouth watering to get things started ;)

Don't know if you've been following along, but our first round games haven't been all that strong with what you would call 'senior' players.

If they are fit enough and have proven themselves in training, put them out there. Especially guys like Brayshaw. Mcartin/Hogan with Garlett up forward would be mouth watering to get things started ;)

Yeah and how many round 1's have we won over the journey?

None because every year we trot out more first game saviours

G'day guys,
Apologies for the intrusion, but is this team sort of what you imagine will be your strongest throughout 2015?

FB: N.Jetta - T.McDonald - C.Garland
HB: D.Cross - L.Dunn - H.La'bambam

MID: M.Gawn - D.Tyson - J.Viney
MID: B.Vince - N.Jones - J.Toumpas

HF: C.Salem - J.Hogan - J.Howe
FF: P.McCartin - C.Dawes - J.Garlett

INT J.Watts - J.Kennedy-Harris - A.Brayshaw - J.Trengove

A couple of mates and I are trying to do best 22s for each others teams, and this is what I've come up with.

I've attempted to make it as 'Hawthorn' as possible in structure, meaning a lot of midfielders and everyone that isn't a tall being able to rotate through the middle.

I know Hogan and McCartin (I know you haven't OFFICIALLY drafted him yet ...) haven't played any AFL, but they're just such amazing talents I can't imagine them being kept out of the side.

Can Dawes play second ruck?
I really like Grimes, but 3 of Dunn, McDonald, Garland and Frost seems the right way to go, and his disposal probably isn't good enough to play the creative role someone like Burgoyne or Birchall does at the Hawks.

WHAT AM I MISSING!?

Cheers!

G'day guys,
Apologies for the intrusion, but is this team sort of what you imagine will be your strongest throughout 2015?

A couple of mates and I are trying to do best 22s for each others teams, and this is what I've come up with.

I've attempted to make it as 'Hawthorn' as possible in structure, meaning a lot of midfielders and everyone that isn't a tall being able to rotate through the middle.

I know Hogan and McCartin (I know you haven't OFFICIALLY drafted him yet ...) haven't played any AFL, but they're just such amazing talents I can't imagine them being kept out of the side.

I really like Grimes, but 3 of Dunn, McDonald, Garland and Frost seems the right way to go, and his disposal probably isn't good enough to play the creative role someone like Burgoyne or Birchall does at the Hawks.

WHAT AM I MISSING!?

Cheers!

Not bad mate.

I'd have Grimes in there before McCartin - wouldn't surprise me if he gets a defensive forward post at times this year.

McCartin is a big bodied forward - so even if we do draft him, you'd expect him to need a year or 2 playing mostly VFL.

I'll get shot down for this - but Toumpas, Kennedy-Harris and even Salem (as high as my hopes are) will need some serious growth if they are to push out workmen Bail and M Jones next year. I suspect we'll start the season with those 2 on the senior side - especially if we blood Hogan and Brayshaw first up.

I also think Jamar is still in our best 22 but that's far more debatable and I don't think you need to change that.

G'day guys,

WHAT AM I MISSING!?

Cheers!

Dawes playing second ruck ruined his career at Collingwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back