News New Jumpers for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree. You got to the Fitzroy board and mention one little thing about swing something to do with the old Bears team and you'll be crucified. Would love to see some of the Bears supporters rise up and ask for something more back, similar to the Wests Tigers in the NRL, where both clubs get honoured in some way

Yeah, its stupid. Its like Fitzroy just moved the club north and rebranded. You'd be hard pressed to find any significant Bears influence in the club I would think. It actually makes me wish Fitzroy had merged with a Melbourne based club. Say what you want 'bout the bears, they'd be a team I'd like to see in the current AFL. They were on the way up when they merged, the sky was the limit. Now they hardly exist in an "even and fair merger".

Sorry for derailing again Gibbsy. Bryce_Jersey17 feel free to message me if you wanna talk about this anymore.

I completely agree. You got to the Fitzroy board and mention one little thing about swing something to do with the old Bears team and you'll be crucified. Would love to see some of the Bears supporters rise up and ask for something more back, similar to the Wests Tigers in the NRL, where both clubs get honoured in some way

Ask any Western Suburbs supporter and they'll say Balmain just changed their name to Wests. Balmain have always been tue dominant part of the merger, to the point where all the Reserves play for Balmain in the NSW cup and Western Suburbs field a stand alone team, even though it's supposed to be 50/50 each way.

Another reason why the Dragons - Steelers merger was hardly fair either. Practically a Dragons takeover.

Ask any Western Suburbs supporter and they'll say Balmain just changed their name to Wests. Balmain have always been tue dominant part of the merger, to the point where all the Reserves play for Balmain in the NSW cup and Western Suburbs field a stand alone team, even though it's supposed to be 50/50 each way.

Another reason why the Dragons - Steelers merger was hardly fair either. Practically a Dragons takeover.

I agree. I'm all for Fitzroy being remembered, it was an absolute farce what happened to the club. However I feel that the merger has forced the combined club to go too far "pro Fitzroy" just to appease the still feeling supporters to make them feel that thier club is still there. I mean seriously. The bears were a club in their own right once upon a time, yet the only real nod the merged club has ever done is the bears jumpers for heritage round and the one this year for the hall of fame. Its really sad to see once half of the club just swallow up the other. If the bears were represented as much as Fitzroy currently are then all the Fitzroy supporters would rightfully be angry. Yet past Fitzroy supporters get to push the club direction and there isn't a whisper from the old bears supporters. I don't think having the club based in Brisbane is a fair trade off tbh. The bears need just as much representing as Fitzroy do on field. A bears clash would allow that.

/rant.

I completely agree. I honestly wish where we went back to the days of the early 2000's where we only wore the maroon and we played as a new club. Not as a club that is trying to remember one of it's former selves and forget the other.

Yeah, its stupid. Its like Fitzroy just moved the club north and rebranded. You'd be hard pressed to find any significant Bears influence in the club I would think. It actually makes me wish Fitzroy had merged with a Melbourne based club. Say what you want 'bout the bears, they'd be a team I'd like to see in the current AFL. They were on the way up when they merged, the sky was the limit. Now they hardly exist in an "even and fair merger".

Yeah. Just the name, the home ground, the social club, and eleven home games in Brisbane per season. Hardly anything at all.

Yeah. Just the name, the home ground, the social club, and eleven home games in Brisbane per season. Hardly anything at all.
The name? Brisbane Lions. Half of that is from Fitzroy. As for eleven home games in Brisbane. That's because they are based there. It's like saying to Sydney, "you're not allowed to play home games in Sydney because you started off in Melbourne. You have to play home games there". Brand dilution and unfortunately, GWS do the same thing

The name? Brisbane Lions. Half of that is from Fitzroy. As for eleven home games in Brisbane. That's because they are based there. It's like saying to Sydney, "you're not allowed to play home games in Sydney because you started off in Melbourne. You have to play home games there". Brand dilution and unfortunately, GWS do the same thing

So it was more equitable than you claim. Fitzroy did not get "everything". The Brisbane Football Club is nicknamed the Lions. Most often they are called "Brisbane" by the footballing public. The Brisbane Football Club is based in Brisbane. Queenslanders can go and see them train, can attend social club functions much more easily, have home ground rights at the Gabba. Fitzroy got the Lion emblem and their royal blue added to the existing maroon and gold of the Bears, structured to look a little more like the old Fitzroy jumper.

The Bears voluntarily rebranded themselves to look more like Fitzroy in order to attract a Melbourne supporter base. The club was formed in 1987

Ha, not for Essendon it doesn't

Stocks said that WC and a few other clubs are coming together about it iirc.

If this is true about the Brisbane clash then it's ******* bullshit how they can say no to a yellow based jumper that clashes with no one while accepting an 80% black jumper that clashes with more than one team.

Say what you want 'bout the bears, they'd be a team I'd like to see in the current AFL. They were on the way up when they merged, the sky was the limit. Now they hardly exist in an "even and fair merger".

The Brisbane Bears are the same club as the Brisbane Lions. Entered the AFL in 1987. The Bears rebranded themselves as the Lions in 1996. Fitzroy still exist in their own right in Melbourne, but not in the AFL.

So it was more equitable than you claim. Fitzroy did not get "everything". The Brisbane Football Club is nicknamed the Lions. Most often they are called "Brisbane" by the footballing public. The Brisbane Football Club is based in Brisbane. Queenslanders can go and see them train, can attend social club functions much more easily, have home ground rights at the Gabba. Fitzroy got the Lion emblem and their royal blue added to the existing maroon and gold of the Bears, structured to look a little more like the old Fitzroy jumper.

The Bears voluntarily rebranded themselves to look more like Fitzroy in order to attract a Melbourne supporter base. The club was formed in 1987

We aren't saying Fitzroy got a lot more out of the merger then the Bears did. Its the current direction of the club that hampers more to Fitzroy then it does the Bears. All on field jumpers and the like have a very Fitzroy likeness to them. In fact the whole club feels more Fitzroy then it does bears. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, I feel however that in a fair merger the club should equally represent both clubs on field and off. You don't quite get that from Brisbane right now. As things are at the moment you get a lot more representation from the Fitzroy side then you do the bears side. Would more representation of the Bears really be a bad thing?

We aren't saying Fitzroy got a lot more out of the merger then the Bears did. Its the current direction of the club that hampers more to Fitzroy then it does the Bears. All on field jumpers and the like have a very Fitzroy likeness to them. In fact the whole club feels more Fitzroy then it does bears. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, I feel however that in a fair merger the club should equally represent both clubs on field and off. You don't quite get that from Brisbane right now. As things are at the moment you get a lot more representation from the Fitzroy side then you do the bears side. Would more representation of the Bears really be a bad thing?

Brisbane have the name, the home ground, the social club and the home games. Why should Fitzroy supporters in VictorIa support an AFL club based in Queensland? How do we develop some connection to the club from so far away?

Had a crack at a new clash that followed all the talk...
BrisbaneLionsClash_zpsf4cd2d7e.png

It uses the 1912-1913 Vee:
Fitzroy-1912.gif

...Which is used to outline the 1933-1940 vee:
Fitzroy-1933.gif

Also thought that this could be close to the design due to the special event jumpers that the club has come up with over the last two years, as well as this seasons warm up top
Front11.jpg

LionsJerseyFront-e1404182443207.jpg

Run_out_top_-_maroon.png

Collar, Cuffs and Side panels all follow the last clash

Are the watermarks on blk guernseys on both retail and player issue?? From these pics, they are way too noticeable, they need to be dulled a bit.

We aren't saying Fitzroy got a lot more out of the merger then the Bears did. Its the current direction of the club that hampers more to Fitzroy then it does the Bears.

You mean adhering to the so called 'merger' agreement that the Bears wrote and Fitzroy was forced to sign?

WeAs things are at the moment you get a lot more representation from the Fitzroy side then you do the bears side. Would more representation of the Bears really be a bad thing?

I'll be rapt if you move Brisbane down to Melbourne, with eleven home games, play out of the MCG, train at the Brunswick Street Oval, name them the Fitzroy Football Club, nickname them the Bears, play in the maroon and gold and return to our old social club in North Fitzroy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane have the name, the home ground, the social club and the home games. Why should Fitzroy supporters in VictorIa support an AFL club based in Queensland? How do we develop some connection to the club from so far away?

Feel free to ask the North supporters that reside in Perth. There are a tonne, so it shouldn't be hard to find one.

Hi, former Western Suburbs Magpies now Wests Tigers supporter here.

100% disagree with your entire statement. What you said is actually one of the reasons that there has been so much instability in the merger with a large number of the "old boys" not accepting the change and causing trouble at every turn.

Plus your info is wrong, Balmain is not the dominant party in the merger, and have not been for a fair few years, and even more so at the moment. The new Board is independent and Balmain have zero voting rights as they are broke (and will continue to have none until they repay their debts to the NRL).

The only reason the NSW Cup team were moved to the Balmain side was to reduce the travel inconvenience of having to travel to Campbelltown (up to 1 hour drive) from Concord compared to Leichhardt (20 minutes drive max) as well as the problems with having to split the reserve graders into two separate teams. But that has now changed and the NSW Cup team now plays under the Wests Tigers name and plays games at all 3 venues (Leichhardt, Campbelltown and ANZ).

Feel free to ask the North supporters that reside in Perth. There are a tonne, so it shouldn't be hard to find one.
Or the Carlton and Collingwood supporters. Always a big showing whenever they come to town.

Hi, former Western Suburbs Magpies now Wests Tigers supporter here.

100% disagree with your entire statement. What you said is actually one of the reasons that there has been so much instability in the merger with a large number of the "old boys" not accepting the change and causing trouble at every turn.

Plus your info is wrong, Balmain is not the dominant party in the merger, and have not been for a fair few years, and even more so at the moment. The new Board is independent and Balmain have zero voting rights as they are broke (and will continue to have none until they repay their debts to the NRL).

The only reason the NSW Cup team were moved to the Balmain side was to reduce the travel inconvenience of having to travel to Campbelltown (up to 1 hour drive) from Concord compared to Leichhardt (20 minutes drive max) as well as the problems with having to split the reserve graders into two separate teams. But that has now changed and the NSW Cup team now plays under the Wests Tigers name and plays games at all 3 venues (Leichhardt, Campbelltown and ANZ).

So the Magpies are officially dead now as they were going to come back as their own team.

Cheers for the clarification.

So the Magpies are officially dead now as they were going to come back as their own team.

Cheers for the clarification.

No not dead, they play in the Ron Massey cup (level below NSW cup), S.G. Ball (U18's) and Harold Matthews Cup (U16's). Balmain play S.G. Ball and Harold Matts only.

Really? You don't think our jumper is at least 60% light?

Newsflash: Light colours that aren't white exist.
Newsflash: That's not what the original post alluded to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back