2015 SC / Player Watch..

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freeman is purportedly fit and healthy, completing a full preseason. Solidly built for such a young man, and there will be plenty of opportunity in this Collingwood side for anyone who puts their hand up. Might find his way into many a starting team I should think

Which player of this years draft will play the most games and score the most points next year?

Angus Brayshaw.

I'm heartened by the Bigfooty Communities commitment to early preseason Supercoach analysis. It's the bloke who is best prepared who comes up trumps in this caper - and I salute you all. She's gonna be one hell of a 2015 season.

Another one is Trent Dumont. Tore up the VFL and there is a spot in the team left by Greenwood

Hard to go past Brayshaw. Dumont certainly may get opportunity, not sure he will be the highest scoring, or play the most games, but can see him being a worthwhile selection. Same with Freeman

Another one is Trent Dumont. Tore up the VFL and there is a spot in the team left by Greenwood
Didn't do himself any favors robbing a taxi driver.

In many cases opportunities will depend on which team drafts each player. It looks likely that Petracca and Brayshaw wil go to St Kilda and Melbourne and they're both solidly built kids who should play early and often. The problem is that as the first two draft picks they'll be at an inflated price.

Looking for a later, cheaper draftee I think Daniel Capiron could be a handy rookie defender.

Each year, there are a number of players who don't get the opportunity to show what they have got, whether it be due to injury, illness, team they are drafted to, playing behind veterans, team balance etc.
I thought I'd start a discussion relating to who the players are that might be SC relevant, if they can just get an opportunity...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe nobody has said Isaac Heeney so far!

As Pogba said, Angus Brayshaw - Could be the Wines of this draft

Dean Gore, Alex Neal-Bullen and Peter Bampton have all been solid in the SANFL.

Think I'll get Jack Lonie (small forward)

For defenders, Jake Lever is an attacking key defender who provides plenty of rebound. Will go top 10.

Taylor Grace is an over-ager who averaged 33 disposals in the TAC cup - Will be rookied I think

Don't think i'll be getting any key forwards this year - Unless Matt Panos or Brett Eddy get picked

It depends on where these players end up really.

Can't believe nobody has said Isaac Heeney so far!

As Pogba said, Angus Brayshaw - Could be the Wines of this draft

Dean Gore, Alex Neal-Bullen and Peter Bampton have all been solid in the SANFL.

Think I'll get Jack Lonie (small forward)

For defenders, Jake Lever is an attacking key defender who provides plenty of rebound. Will go top 10.

Taylor Grace is an over-ager who averaged 33 disposals in the TAC cup - Will be rookied I think

Don't think i'll be getting any key forwards this year - Unless Matt Panos or Brett Eddy get picked

It depends on where these players end up really.
How many games will Heeney play in 2015?

Jordan De Goey will be in my team.
No way for me. He will be 160k+ (I think he'll go to Collingwood at #5) and he doesn't play a supercoach friendly game at all. Only gets around 15 touches a game in the TAC cup. You want kids like Wines who get 30+ in the under 18's. That's Brayshaw this year.

Bampton will be a good pick up if at the right team.

Thought I'd start the ball rolling with a few obvious ones.
Collingwood
Freeman, Scharenberg, Broomhead - All high draft picks who had their seasons ruined by injury. There will be opportunities in this CFC side if they are good enough. More importantly, will be cheap :)
Karnezis - Has teased with his ability in the past. Last year ruined by injuries. Might he get a chance?
Essendon
Giles - Has proven to be a quality, scoring ruckman in the past. Starved of opportunity last year behind Mumford. Should get a chance, but will he score well splitting time with Bellchambers?
Fremantle
Morabito - We all know his history, but showed pretty consistent form in the WAFL for much of last year. Couldn't quite crack the senior side for an opportunity despite his good form, perhaps a worry. Maybe Ross Lyon isn't a fan. Will be bargain basement.
Pearce - Played only 9 games in 2014 owing to injury, and his output was well down on previous year. Will come at a discount, but probably better mid-pricers out there. Only showed half a season of decent footy so no guarantee he gets back to that level.
Apeness - High draft pick, potentially fills a key forward/ruck role which Fremantle could really use. Spot there if he is good enough to earn it.
Geelong
Where to start...
Menzel, Clark, Vardy - Each having significant risk due to injury.
Thurlow, Smedts - Highly rated, just hard to get a game behind so many veterans and each having had moderate injury concerns in 2014. Personally, I particularly like the look of Thurlow, will be an awkward price though I would imagine.
Gold Coast
Nichols & Smith - Have each shown promise and had short periods of high scoring in SC, but also shown that they are prone to injury. Yet to prove that they can play together either, and Smith underwhelmed after returning from injury last time. Should both be in the risky mid-price range.
Hallahan - New recruit, must have targeted him for a reason. Couldn't push out the likes of Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis at Hawthorn, but has shown 2 years of solid form at VFL level. Should get a chance at GFC, can he take it? Will his price prove too steep?
GWS
Plowman, Kelly, Buntine, - Breakout potential? Awkward priced
Lobb, Downie - Opportunity as a 2nd ruck/fwd perhaps? Who else fills this role for them? Bargain priced. Potential as R4 if you select Mumford as R1.
Hawthorn
Anderson, Woodward, O'Rourke - Can they push out any of the veterans? Well priced, but job security a concern
Whitecross - Coming off 2nd knee reconstruction, up against it to regain his spot. Youngsters may have gone passed him. Injury discount
Melbourne
Jesse Hogan - No explaination necessary
Jeff Garlett - Can he become relevant again? Had a terrible year so could be a value pick, turn him into quick cash.
Jimmy Toumpas - Yet to show a lot and hasn't been given too many opportunities, price should reflect this. Chosen at pick 4 so must have some talent. Can this year be HIS year?
North Melbourne
Dumont - High draft pick who showed consistent VFL form. Shows plenty of 'fight' ;). Will be rookie priced. Lots of similar types he needs to overtake though
Wood - Could he force Black out if Black's poor form continues? Yet to play, rookie priced
Port Adelaide
Calquhuon, Clurey - Rookie priced, but can they break into a pretty settled line-up?
Richmond
Knights - Can he get his body right? Years of injuries mean he will be heavily discounted. But is the risk worth it?
McBean - Much talked about tall forward. There is a spot there with neither Vickery or Griffiths cementing their spots. Rookie priced. Likely forward only
Lennon - Highly rated, high draft pick. Only played 7 games in year 1, many as sub so still reasonably priced. Can't believe he didn't play more given it's Richmond we are talking about
St Kilda
Hickey - Only played 6 games in 2014, price should reflect this. Competition for No. 1 ruck with Longer.
Lee - Played just 3 games in 2014. With the Saints looking for a KPF, can he earn a spot?
Markworth - Drafted high 2 years ago, yet to play due to injury. Does he still have it? Can he earn a chance? Will be bargain basement priced
White - Freakish talent, compared to Buddy Franklin. Only played 2 games so didn't see a price rise. Compete with the likes of Lee for a chance
Membrey - Couldn't break into the Swans juggernaut. Should play early. Well priced. Can he score?
Sydney
Mitchell - We all know he finds the footy. Could be a SC beast. Hopefully he gets a chance this season. I can't understand why he wasn't playing last year. Awkward price, and underperformed last year early when he had his chance. Was playing hurt by all reports
Jones - Wins his own footy, might score well if he gets a game. Has a few ahead of him though
West Coast
Waters - Fairly obvious one. Has been a great SC scorer in the past but has a horrible injury history. Will be heavily discounted but carries huge risk
WB
Fuller - Mature age recruit last year, didn't get a look in. If he gets a game, could be a bargain
Smith - Ball winner, coming off knee reco. Will get a discount but perhaps a few ahead of him at this stage. Could be a mid year downgrade target if he plays well at the lower level
This is by no means an exhaustive list, so happy to hear anyone else's ideas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back