Cyril Rioli and draft tampering?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
This thread will most likely annoy Hawthorn fans but I was wondering what people think about this issue. I have heard rumours over the years that Cyril deliberately tanked in the interviews with non Victorian clubs and deliberately gave a very negative impression.

I then heard prior to the draft on the AFL's stream they setup that when Kinnear Beatson asked for footage of Cyril playing for his club he was told that the footage had all been lost and was unavailable.

It has also been said that the Swans were very keen on Cyril Rioli and there was a real argument between getting Rioli or Veszpremi but what pushed it over the line and why we went for Veszpremi was because Cyril had such a bad interview and other than the Under 18 championships the Swans did not have enough information about Rioli.

Now to me this is draft tampering and it is something the AFL really needs to crack down on. What does everyone else think and should players like Rioli be punished for behaving like that in the lead up to the draft?

This thread will most likely annoy Hawthorn fans but I was wondering what people think about this issue. I have heard rumours over the years that Cyril deliberately tanked in the interviews with non Victorian clubs and deliberately gave a very negative impression.

I then heard prior to the draft on the AFL's stream they setup that when Kinnear Beatson asked for footage of Cyril playing for his club he was told that the footage had all been lost and was unavailable.

It has also been said that the Swans were very keen on Cyril Rioli and there was a real argument between getting Rioli or Veszpremi but what pushed it over the line and why we went for Veszpremi was because Cyril had such a bad interview and other than the Under 18 championships the Swans did not have enough information about Rioli.

Now to me this is draft tampering and it is something the AFL really needs to crack down on. What does everyone else think and should players like Rioli be punished for behaving like that in the lead up to the draft?

Wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

I guess not having access to footage, if it is to be believed - which I don't necessarily because I don't view the Swans as an honest franchise, particularly around any discussion to do with their recruiting - is a bit of an annoyance, but Sydney would have recruiters in Victoria who are paid well to watch players live. So I'm sure if they were doing their due diligence they would have seen plenty of his games for Scotch prior to the draft.

No other club has complained about not having access to Cyril's footage.

I don't think Sydney's too fussed. Apparently Lewis Jetta is better anyway! :D

Truth is Sheedy had his eye on Cyril but was keen to pick Myers on their 1st Pick (3) and hope Cyril would be available on Bombers next pick(23).
Hawks swooped at pick (12) and the rest is history.
Guess Swans are still kicking themselves over pick (11).

Truth is Sheedy had his eye on Cyril but was keen to pick Myers on their 1st Pick (3) and hope Cyril would be available on Bombers next pick(23).
Sheeds wasn't our coach then breau.

Also, Myers was pick 6.

Surely the Bombers didn't expect him to be available at pick 23. Although I guess it is Dodoro calling the shots.

Yep swans took Vezpremi ahead of some great players.

There have been rumours though of Rioli tanking in almost all of his interviews with non Victorian clubs, not just the Swans so if that is true he did not just do this against the Swans but 7 other clubs as well. I would be very interested in hearing from the 8 non Victorian clubs and 8 Victorian clubs when it came to their impressions of Rioli during the drafting process as I am willing to bet they would be very different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it would happen on some level regularly, although it would be harder to prove than insider trading.

Other names that could be associated with it are

Kieran Jack
Jack Darling

There were rumours about Elliot Kavanagh and Essendon a few years ago. He hasn't actually set the world on fire so I think it can also backfire just as easily for the club involved.

There have been rumours though of Rioli tanking in almost all of his interviews with non Victorian clubs, not just the Swans so if that is true he did not just do this against the Swans but 7 other clubs as well. I would be very interested in hearing from the 8 non Victorian clubs and 8 Victorian clubs when it came to their impressions of Rioli during the drafting process as I am willing to bet they would be very different.

Don't know if being quiet and shy is the equivalent of tanking an interview. What proof do you have that he interviewed differently with interstate clubs to the Vic ones?

If the AFL wants to crack down on this they need to give clubs more chips in the trading period.

Don't know if being quiet and shy is the equivalent of tanking an interview. What proof do you have that he interviewed differently with interstate clubs to the Vic ones?

Just rumours I have heard on bigfooty over the years. Plus I have heard he did interview badly at a number of non Victorian clubs but he did not interview badly with a number of Victorian clubs.

Just rumours I have heard on bigfooty over the years. Plus I have heard he did interview badly at a number of non Victorian clubs but he did not interview badly with a number of Victorian clubs.

I think you just made it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back