Cyril Rioli and draft tampering?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah the Darling one is crap. The type accusing him of tanking now would probably be the ones eating up every scandal about him at the time and saying they would want their club to avoid him.

Which was?
Indeed.

I think recruiters have spoken about it, most don't know why he was overlooked. It has been put down to over analysis and worries about his injury

A player making an equal effort to impress in all interviews with all clubs and also giving all clubs equal access to footage of them playing.

So he should essentially lie to recruiters?

This.

Isn't this how, in round about terms, West Coast got Darling??

A bit of mis-information, a bit of dodginess and you get the player you want.

If this is the case though, rapt
It's more likely we did this with Waterman, in hopes no one would bid a second or third rounder on him. I think I remember reading somewhere that he 'fell off the map' and thus clubs weren't willing to bid on him. Turns out no one does and we get him with our last live draft pick.

What about when Port got Wingard?

"If you draft me I'm leaving in two years to Port Adelaide."

If that is true then it is just as bad, if not worse than what Rioli did.

I think the AFL should set new rules stating that all interviews with potential players must be recorded and that those recordings are sent to the AFL and that interviewing a player without recording it is banned.

So he should essentially lie to recruiters?

A player should accept that if they are going into the draft they could be sent anywhere. If they are not willing to accept that then they should not go into the draft. If Roili was so against going to a non Victorian club then he should not have signed up for the draft in the first place.

Didn't one of the first picked in this years draft try and do the same with Collingwood?

"I want to play for the pies."

Who Petracca?

The guy who isn't playing for the pies.

A player should accept that if they are going into the draft they could be sent anywhere. If they are not willing to accept that then they should not go into the draft. If Roili was so against going to a non Victorian club then he should not have signed up for the draft in the first place.

So if he doesn't want to go to Sydney and Sydney ask if he wants to go there, he should lie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that is true then it is just as bad, if not worse than what Rioli did.

I think the AFL should set new rules stating that all interviews with potential players must be recorded and that those recordings are sent to the AFL and that interviewing a player without recording it is banned.

This is the same garbage as "we can't have free agents tell us where they're going next year!!"

Humans have preferences. Big deal.

This thread will most likely annoy Hawthorn fans but I was wondering what people think about this issue. I have heard rumours over the years that Cyril deliberately tanked in the interviews with non Victorian clubs and deliberately gave a very negative impression.

Ah,so that's how he ended up at a Tasmanian club

Give it up RUNVS,your team screwed the pooch on GF day.You're just
upload_2014-11-29_18-44-30.jpeg

Nba Aussie Draftee Dante Exum was rumoured to have told several NBA Team execs who had lottery picks that he was only interested in joining the LA Lakers, but he ended up being drafted to the Utah Jazz, which in hindsight was a blessing in disguise, as the Lakers are easily the worst team in the West, and look set to be in the basement for the next 5 years plus.

Reckon AFL clubs and recruiters should hold their nerve and draft players who place selfish demands and threats on clubs like Chad Wingard and GWS anyway, in an open draft market, players should not be allowed to dictate which club or state they choose to be drafted to.

This thread has potential if people stop with the "WHAT ABOUT HEENEY!" Etc.

If....
A club tells a player to tank interviews
And that player does tank interviews

Then you gotta ask why that club in particular is so appealing to the player? Home state I get it, but not when that home state has 8 other teams.

Sure, it happens all the time, and the balance of power is swinging much more towards players than clubs now with so many leaving for home states after the first contract is over and being able to nominate clubs in trades. That's an issue that I don't know the answer to.

The Rioli situation - what I don't get is why other clubs that would have seen him play not been able to overlook a 'poor interview'. How much weight do clubs put on these chats?

We picked him with pick 12 I think? 11 other clubs did have the chance to pick him and declined. If they did this purely because he didn't have winston churchill's oration skills then they should probably review the process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back