Preview Rookie draft - picks 18, 36, 53 & 65

Remove this Banner Ad

Every one on this board was going on about dear and gowers no one said about Langford. How many even knew he was in the draft.

An elusive goal kicking speedster with excellent athletic attributes and the ability to crumb and take strong marks, massive x factor TICK

A hard inside mid with excellent endurance and great turn of speed that makes good decisions with the ball and tackles like a man possessed TICK

A young key position player in the making with huge potential, a great grab, excellent kick and great endurance + he's a Langford ! TICK

+ Grimley

This years rookie draft looks terrific, some exciting prospects
So wait - why weren't all these guys taken in round 1 of the AFL draft. Sounds like we nailed it!

Every one on this board was going on about dear and gowers no one said about Langford. How many even knew he was in the draft.
I know. It's weird, everyone seems disapointed we didn't get the other two, but not equally excited by the Langford get. I'm FAR more excited that we got him (out of nowhere!) than I would have been with the others. Nothing about them thrilled me, but the little I heard about this langford (admittedly a couple of years ago) was bloody good! Massive upside I reckon.

I know. It's weird, everyone seems disapointed we didn't get the other two, but not equally excited by the Langford get. I'm FAR more excited that we got him (out of nowhere!) than I would have been with the others. Nothing about them thrilled me, but the little I heard about this langford (admittedly a couple of years ago) was bloody good! Massive upside I reckon.
Almost sounds like draft tampering.

M-L has some amazing traits. I can see that Liam Jurrah that someone mentioned. Doesn't seem to have (or need) a left foot from the highlights I saw. I also reckon he'd gain a lot from developing even an AFL-standard handball. Very exciting.

I think I may have suddenly become his number one fan. Absolute bargain basement steal, due to the fact he's been injured - the only reason he's lasted to the rookie draft. Mark my words, if not next year then the year after we'll be seeing him in combo with Cyril wreaking absolute terror on every backline in the league with their exquisite skills. That's if we can get MJ and Junior on the park together and injury free in the first place... :rolleyes:

I think I may have suddenly become his number one fan. Absolute bargain basement steal, due to the fact he's been injured - the only reason he's lasted to the rookie draft. Mark my words, if not next year then the year after we'll be seeing him in combo with Cyril wreaking absolute terror on every backline in the league with their exquisite skills. That's if we can get MJ and Junior on the park together and injury free in the first place... :rolleyes:
I'm normally pretty measured with draft pick ups, but Pittonet and hyphen both look awesome. High hopes for both of these guys.

I'm normally pretty measured with draft pick ups, but Pittonet and hyphen both look awesome. High hopes for both of these guys.
I heard Cal Twomey was a big rap for him. Apparently his mates just call him Mainey. Has some traits that look AFL standard that's for sure.

I'm sold. He seems like a top shelf kid too, that's important.

Thing is with Langford, Hawthorn is not the sort of club to just give him a spot because he is the son of a legend. We passed on Dear and Curran, both of whom were drafted by another club. I have no doubt that Langers Jr 2 (LJ2?) has shown ability worth investing in.

Pretty happy about this selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost sounds like draft tampering.
More like the template for draft tampering. Let LL bubble away for a few years like Will then wait for the BANG.

Good rookie choices, all speculative, none of them safe selections. GML looks like you classic Tiwi Island footballer, dunno how we are going to break it to him that you are allowed to tackle.

Could he take Breust role as Breust goes into the midfield

hardisty honestly just looks like a solid state player don't have high hopes for him hope I'm wrong, miller lewis has some serious x factor could be a steal but has barely played for 2 years so is abit of an unknown quantity and surely the club is just hoping langford will come on like his brother wonder why he has played barely any footy this year

If you're going to engage in draft tampering, I doubt a player you could take father son anyway is the bloke you would hide.

He probably showed enough raw talent and given his brothers and fathers development after their teenage years we've taken the punt. Hawks don't pick players just on name though - we overlooked dear and gowers.

If you're going to engage in draft tampering, I doubt a player you could take father son anyway is the bloke you would hide.

He probably showed enough raw talent and given his brothers and fathers development after their teenage years we've taken the punt. Hawks don't pick players just on name though - we overlooked dear and gowers.

Thing is, we took him with a rookie pick.

We never had the chance to take Dear or Gowers in the rookie draft.

I really like the first three picks.

Hopefully Grimley works harder than ever before. Needs to be more aggressive

The last time brothers played for Hawthorn was August 15, 1998 when Shane & Justin Crawford helped Hawthorn defeat Brisbane at the Gabba.

So wait - why weren't all these guys taken in round 1 of the AFL draft. Sounds like we nailed it!

Sarcasm metre DING DING DING

I think we all understand that these kids didn't go top ten in the draft. All these kids require development and improvement in areas of there game. Some had injuries, whilst others have a lot of work to do on other areas of there game which meant they were rookie drafted. But going back to my original comment, the group shows real promise. With the hawks development program they will have the best shot at achieving there highest level of football and I don't feel it's inappropriate to be excited about a fresh crop of enthusiastic and talented youngsters.

Yep I agree. The Pitt and Hyphen represent the best value of the new recruits. One of the only rucks in the draft and going by the vids one with a lot to work already and one hidden by injury who is a great mover and mark with potential huge upside.

Going for the 3-peat and where our list is atm we can afford to take these gambles. Throw in Howe, Hardy and Lang III with the picks we had and I'm sure at least one of them will come good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back