Analysis Open Training Discussion 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Toumpas viney and hogan, the recruits that have almost been forgotten

Also massive that ANB and grimes are leading the way because that means guys like bail have to improve there skill to get a game

Also I ******* love Daniel cross, I hope he plays all year and goes again he just plays footy the way you wish everyone would

Cross is a footballer's footballer. If the Dogs end up struggling this year without Griffen and Cooney, there will be a bit of attention on why they let DC go for nothing when he was a good egg like Murphy/Morris.

Cross is a footballer's footballer. If the Dogs end up struggling this year without Griffen and Cooney, there will be a bit of attention on why they let DC go for nothing when he was a good egg like Murphy/Morris.
It's somewhat ironic that they forced Cross out of the side when of all their senior players other than Murphy and Morries he was the only truly loyal one (IIRC there were issues with M Boud at one stage?). Somewhat reminiscent of what we did with a few in the 2010-12 period.

He is almost my favourite player now, the pride he has in his own performance is outstanding and I feel like he is an MFC player for life even if he only plays a handful of games

He is almost my favourite player now, the pride he has in his own performance is outstanding and I feel like he is an MFC player for life even if he only plays a handful of games
The kind of player whom I would be happy to see pushed out by one of the newbies, as it would mean they had to seriously work hard on the track and be 100% ready before Roosy would replace Cross with them. Creates competition and drives standards at the club. Hopefully we're paying him well.

The kind of player whom I would be happy to see pushed out by one of the newbies, as it would mean they had to seriously work hard on the track and be 100% ready before Roosy would replace Cross with them. Creates competition and drives standards at the club. Hopefully we're paying him well.

Ideally I hope he takes Trengove under his wing and teaches him how to be a very good player without needing leg speed

Boys are out until 1:30 today! Although as I type this there's a few walking past (Gawn, Howe), though I imagine it'd be the same as last week where they go back out and do the tan or something.

TRAINING REPORT: Get to training, first thing I see is Trenners with one of those scooter things for those who have injuries like he does. I feel for the bloke with what he's gone through. Took a photo of him, it'll hurt seeing it I reckon.
Aaron Vandenburg walks past on the way. Big boy, shoulders are a bit smaller than I thought they were but I see him playing a role in Round One based on what I saw in the highlights package. Think he's a better prospect that Harmes while I have to see White first before making a call.
Hearing the session goes to 1:30 today. I won't be staying the whole time - stomach won't be satisfied as it will inevitably tell me to eat by around 11:30, the weather is fairly ordinary atmo and I'm not in the greatest mood as my Wizards got rolled by the Celtics in the NBA - I know of one reader who supports the Celtics and he's already given me a bit even before I got here. On a more positive note I can flaunt the Melbourne City top (for once) after we won yesterday. Funny how we keep a clean sheet the game we drop Redmayne hey!!!
As always, one slow lap around the oval and then some short kicking. Petracca amuses me with his kicking. Rarely does the ball go up, it's almost generally low and hard.
Jakey Spencer had a haircut on the weekend, saw it on Insta - it's for a great cause from memory but it still doesn't look right.
Billy Stretch out of the main group? Unless something happened on Friday which I missed not sure why. The boys continue on in his honour, with a fair set of Billys.
Hogan, Dawes, T McDonald, Jamar and Newton split from the group to do some running.
Col Garland is struggling to keep up again and I'm keen to know what is up with him, whether he's just struggling or there's something bothering him.
There's a new running drill which I'm really impressed with, it involves running a quarter of a lap, turn at a pole, run across the ground, turn again, quarter of the field and run across the ground again. Not explained well, what I can say is Toump streeted his group even though he's displaying a running style that's even more awkward than Hogan's. I'm keen to have this at Mernda.
A lot of short kicks afterwards.
Split into three/four groups now, a couple doing stoppage work, one group practising their snapshot/quick shot at goal on the run and one on the far side doing some ball movement out of defense.
Hogan is in the quick shot at goal group and while he shanks one terribly to start off with he looks impressive. Mitts are out, dukes are out and he's moving well. They do some grappling as well, Hoges paired with Jamar and it didn't take long for Jamar to go to ground... which brings about Jamar bringing Hogan to ground as revenge!
In the stoppage ground I'm liking the look of Lumumba, reading the ruck taps well, just won't surprise me if we see him in the guts regularly in 2015. Salem's looking alright, too.
Stoppage groups move around, there's a group that's bigger in terms of how much ground they use, plus it's more willing. I'm impressed by Salem's ability to find space and glide across. In the other group, Brayshaw looks like he's about to burst away before he has to stop which is a shame - nonetheless I will not be surprised if young Angus will have that murderer glint in his eyes and wreak havoc in his career. He strikes me as that kind of player.
Over on the sideline, Riley, Stretch and Spencer doing some boxing. Dunno whether its from just the boxing but big Spencil's arms are enormous.
Full grounder now, it's a pretty impressive drill, you have a contest, a switch kick, followed by a kick inside 50. Kicking skills look impressive, meantime, Roosy gives Harmes quite a spray for not going into a contest.
Frost is looking great in this drill, has Dawes on him and is winning one on ones, doing what Roosy asks him to (bringing the ball to ground).
I get a glimpse of Petracca on the burst - yeah, it looks decent. Just a glimpse but yeah his composure when he delivers the footy on the run is pretty good if you ask me.
Afterwards there's a spread drill of a different kind, what happens is a short handball thing, whistle, kick then spread. Team who kicks has to try and burn their opponent off while also trying to get it down the opposite end of the ground. Ball movement is alright but it's the work of blokes like the tireless Frost (who's in terrific form today) and Grimes, who also lays a good spoil on Cross, which stops movement.
N Jones cracks the shits when Hogan elects not to kick it to him. Like, dropping F-bombs style cracking the shits. He isn't happy.
Bloke who is using the ball pretty well today is Viney, hitting a lot of targets.
As they have a short break I stop and assess the disappointment at the fact the weather had not cleared up as yet. Old man yells at cloud (if you consider 21 to be old).
Haha, the boys are doing some madball, Jamar gets it and ANB (with some conviction) yells out "Dawesy, Dawesy, Dawesy". Um, no mate, that's NOT Dawesy. For one, Dawesy would be on the track regularly... not sometimes...
Jamar is one I'm impressed with up forward. I won't be surprised if he spends some time there this season. The dukes are up and he's moving rather well.
Salem's been really good today. He's taken on the philosophy that the ball needs to be moved around quickly and with conviction - best option at all times.
The boys stop again. It's good timimg because a loud, silver Ferrari 458 Italia rolls past and catches my attention, bloke goes and gives it plenty down Swan Street just before the boys set off running again.
Bit of a split, most of the boys are doing a variant of madball, the draftees are doing some lighter work with Goodwin and Byrnes. Meanwhile on the sideline Hogan and McKenzie are boxing. Jordie is a brave, brave man.
Again in this madball drill, Salem is again looking good when he leads out, uses his dukes and hits Fitzy pinpoint.
Dunny continues to use his booming voice. He is the vocal leader of the group and the progression of his game is such that the young blokes probably look up to him. He is particularly vocal in the next drill, which sees a group of four or so get around a few defenders before delivery to Fitzy who's up forward on the other side.
Another one who's built up a fair bit compared to previous sessions is Garlett. Looking far more confident and backing himself more frequently.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Brother (at training today and Friday), who marks Toumpas harshly, but like the rest of us wants him to become a quality player, confirms how well he's running. Last year he looked as slow as treacle, and admittedly it's hard to judge his pace until we seem him "game day", but he's supposedly moving far better in both speed and endurance.

He also says that Viney is in ripping condition. His running has improved out of sight and looks noticeably bigger throughout his frame. He missed a large chunk of last preseason, but I think he'll take giant strides in 2015.

He also really likes the look of Neal-Bullen and, like a few others, feels we'll look back on this draft fondly.

My Brother (at training today and Friday), who marks Toumpas harshly, but like the rest of us wants him to become a quality player, confirms how well he's running. Last year he looked as slow as treacle, and admittedly it's hard to judge his pace until we seem him "game day", but he's supposedly moving far better in both speed and endurance.

He also says that Viney is in ripping condition. His running has improved out of sight and looks noticeably bigger throughout his frame. He missed a large chunk of last preseason, but I think he'll take giant strides in 2015.

He also really likes the look of Neal-Bullen and, like a few others, feels we'll look back on this draft fondly.
Toumpas looked great last pre-season too when I went to watch, albeit that was post-New Year.

Toumpas looked great last pre-season too when I went to watch, albeit that was post-New Year.
Yeah Toumpas was a flier last summer too, everyone had him primed for a huge breakout. Nothing has been said so far this preseason that wasn't said last summer. Taking it all with a grain of salt. That being said the injuries did come to bite him a bit once the season started, so maybe if he can stay healthy his preseason will translate into AFL performances.

Having also been to a couple of training sessions I can say he looks to have filled out quite a bit when compared to last year.

I'm most interested in his core strength and speed. This will be where the improvement and confidence comes from.

Btw, I went to a preseason practice match last year when he kicked 3 or 4 goals and all and sundry were singing his praises, except me. He was weak in the contest and had no agility to evade oncoming tacklers.

But I live in hope.

Having also been to a couple of training sessions I can say he looks to have filled out quite a bit when compared to last year.

I'm most interested in his core strength and speed. This will be where the improvement and confidence comes from.

Btw, I went to a preseason practice match last year when he kicked 3 or 4 goals and all and sundry were singing his praises, except me. He was weak in the contest and had no agility to evade oncoming tacklers.

But I live in hope.

Agree with you on this. Yet to get the best out of himself because of confidence.

I think McCartney's best product will be Toumpas. Toump came to the club with huge potential, but major injuries killed any confidence.

Also, I think he will develop to be an very good linking player, may not have the speed to play wide outside; but his kicking is good and he can link Jones, Viney, Brayshaw and Tyson (who will get the ball) and he'll dish it out to Stetch, Vince, Kent and JKH.

Always have hope for Toump. Shocking 2014 with injuries and illness.

But I live in hope.

I was going to post about this as well.

Most of his plaudits came from that early practice match when he booted 4 in a short space from the forward pocket.

If he cant gain a few yards of speed (which would be an unusual thing to be able to do), then he'll need huge endurance and a little more toughness.

From what I've seen and read so far, his endurance is looking the goods, and his frame is looking better - so you never know what the next couple of years might hold for this guy.

My fingers are crossed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back