The future of the ABC - Guthrie sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah nah.

How about those of us who believe we should have a publicly funded broadcaster but that it should be representative of the Australian population?
My 90 year old aunt who has never voted anything but Liberal-she listens to it every day, and watches it. My 28 year old nephew tunes in to it a bit. Clearly young right wingers like Gus and Danny are tuned in a lot of the time. You can watch the VFL if you like-who does that cater for? Its my first choice for listening and watching.
Not sure what you are after-what would demonstrate that it is representative of the Australian population to you?

Last edited:
I don't really get the Coalitions attack on ABC. They said no cuts, then cut. So they end up with a broken promise, which paints Abbott's campaign as fraudulent. That's bad politics. But then they also alienate many conservative voters, especially regional ones, who are fond of ABC services. Bad politics again.

It's actually not as bad as you think, since those regional conservative voters are not going to change their vote over this. Cutting the ABC appeals to urban conservative/libertarian voters who actually have another option for the first time ever. Farmers in Southern Cross aren't going to suddenly start voting for the Labor party because of a 5% cut to the ABC.

Who's missing out?
Conservatives? I'm in Victoria so I might be biased but I don't reckon that audience is very large. There weren't enough people who listened to conservative radio MTR in Melbourne to make it viable. Bolt's tv show barely rates. Sure the herald sun sells a few papers but I reckon people buy it for the sport and crime news, not for the opinion pieces.

53.5% of Australia voted conservative at the last federal election. It's pretty ridiculous to assume that you speak for the majority.

And shut down those ridiculous mental health hospitals - the private sector can do that!

If there is no private alternative then the government has a role to play.

Prisons? Private sector!

Whatever is the most cost effective option to deal with the scum of society is the best option.

Roads? Private sector!

This is one area where part of actual Governing is required.

Police? Private sector!

You mean revenue raisers.

Get ya house broken into these days and you'll be lucky to see a cop.

Go 10km over the speed limit and they'll be about waiting to fine you.

We need to become an opt in country. You want to fund ABC through your taxes tick yes and a sum wll be deducted from your wage each week.

In fact have opt in taxes for everything and lets find out what people actually care about and want to contribute too.

Given how awesome the ABC is their billion plus budget should almost double with people rushing to contribute to its running.

It's actually not as bad as you think, since those regional conservative voters are not going to change their vote over this. Cutting the ABC appeals to urban conservative/libertarian voters who actually have another option for the first time ever. Farmers in Southern Cross aren't going to suddenly start voting for the Labor party because of a 5% cut to the ABC.
You mean like the voters around Shepparton who just voted in an Independent?
53.5% of Australia voted conservative at the last federal election. It's pretty ridiculous to assume that you speak for the majority.
By preference. Clive Palmer was the biggest winner last election. Sorry to break the bad news to you.
Why does the government need to provide roads? Private enterprise desperately needs roads - they would pay for them for sure if the govt pulled out.

Gus appears to be confusing camera equipment for Police. But let's just say he thinks that there are more traffic cops than regular cops, aren't they just implementing a user pays system? You can go faster if you like, but you have to pay for that privilege.

If there is no private alternative then the government has a role to play.

Whatever is the most cost effective option to deal with the scum of society is the best option.

OK now we have established the general parameters of your philosophical position.

"Governments govern" - this includes the police, who are a pillar of the Westminster system. This includes provision for the least fortunate among us.

And this includes things that we as a group believe improve our society. If we're wrong, so be it. Most of the country believes the ABC provides a good service. $100 a year for TV, radio, online, finding new talent, training that the commercial media won't pay for? That's less than people pay for Foxtel in a month.

The idea that it is every man for himself is a recipe for hell on Earth.

The idea that it is every man for himself is a recipe for hell on Earth.

Is this finally recognition that society has become a place where Governments aren't there to govern, they are there to act as a nanny to the vast population because its has become so pathetic and insipid it can't look after itself?

Why does the government need to provide roads? Private enterprise desperately needs roads - they would pay for them for sure if the govt pulled out.

One would hope this isn't a genuine question as a 10 year od with enough coaxing could come up with the answer why.

Gus appears to be confusing camera equipment for Police. But let's just say he thinks that there are more traffic cops than regular cops, aren't they just implementing a user pays system? You can go faster if you like, but you have to pay for that privilege.

Ah no. I've seen Highway Patrol cars in inner city suburbs of Geelong crusing around looking for cheap tickets.

In fact i've seen the Highway Patrol cars driving around said suburbs far more time than I have seen them on the actual Geelong to Melbourne highway which I travel regularly.

That is a prime example or revenue raising.

Waste of money for tax payers getting the highway patrol paint scheme done when all they are doing is the same a standard cop car does.

Is this finally recognition that society has become a place where Governments aren't there to govern, they are there to act as a nanny to the vast population because its has become so pathetic and insipid it can't look after itself?
Bolt-comments-section Board.

We need to become an opt in country. You want to fund ABC through your taxes tick yes and a sum wll be deducted from your wage each week.

In fact have opt in taxes for everything and lets find out what people actually care about and want to contribute too.

Given how awesome the ABC is their billion plus budget should almost double with people rushing to contribute to its running.
I'd be up for this as long as people's incomes and the full list of their selected contributions are made publicly available.

Do not even have the audacity to discuss dumbing down of a discussion considering that the best you could do was get on your high horse about a s**t joke at the logies and equate that to the ABC being riddled with "leftists". You sir are either a troll or an IPA stooge or both.

I could source all sorts of ABC bias. But there is no point. You would dismiss the source.

IPA stooge. LOL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah no. I've seen Highway Patrol cars in inner city suburbs of Geelong crusing around looking for cheap tickets.

In fact i've seen the Highway Patrol cars driving around said suburbs far more time than I have seen them on the actual Geelong to Melbourne highway which I travel regularly.

That is a prime example or revenue raising.

Waste of money for tax payers getting the highway patrol paint scheme done when all they are doing is the same a standard cop car does.
Any chance the police station/depot is around there? And what is a 'cheap ticket'? Getting people speeding on massive straight highways in good weather would seem to be 'cheap' as compared to people speeding in suburbia where kids and pets and drunks are more likely to walk out onto the road. When it comes to revenue raising, it is the busy roads that raise the revenue so you are shooting down your own argument if claiming the cops are actually patrolling suburbia more than the open road.

I actually think the ABC budget would double if you did that. But you are describing democracy anyway. We vote for governments who tell us what they are going to spend our taxes on. Both the Coalition and Labor want the ABC. You can keep voting for your small-govt types and continue being in the massive minority.
One would hope this isn't a genuine question as a 10 year od with enough coaxing could come up with the answer why.
Aren't you 10 yet?

Any chance the police station/depot is around there? And what is a 'cheap ticket'? Getting people speeding on massive straight highways in good weather would seem to be 'cheap' as compared to people speeding in suburbia where kids and pets and drunks are more likely to walk out onto the road. When it comes to revenue raising, it is the busy roads that raise the revenue so you are shooting down your own argument if claiming the cops are actually patrolling suburbia more than the open road.

Not even close to their depot. Nice try though.

You're missing the point as per ususual. I've seen them during the day out and about the suburbs. Their blue vehicles kinda of stand out you know...

At those times the kids are in school and the likelihood of "drunks"? is minimal.

Why are we funding a Highway Patrol to drive around the suburbs?

I actually think the ABC budget would double if you did that. But you are describing democracy anyway. We vote for governments who tell us what they are going to spend our taxes on. Both the Coalition and Labor want the ABC. You can keep voting for your small-govt types and continue being in the massive minority.

This is true. So any chance these whingers will STFU with their moaning and respect the voted in Government to deal with the ABC as they wish.

The answer of course is no. They are lovers of the concept of wasting other peoples money. Just like Governments are.

I'd be up for this as long as people's incomes and the full list of their selected contributions are made publicly available.

So you actually want to continue on with the nanny state mentality by removing the last semblences of people's privacy.

You have zero rights to know what others earn.

Ignoring the fact the complaints are because the Government said they would not do the efficiency dividend thingy.

Governments lie, shock horror.

The same people raging at the Libs for doing it are probably the same Labor homers who defended their own party when they did it.

The hypocrisy makes my nose itch.

It's a safe bet the same people who moan now will just go and vote in another pack of liars come election times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back