Show off your latest gaming purchases!

Remove this Banner Ad

The best time to upgrade is when you can guess the hardware manufacturers aren't going to pull a swifty.

For some reason I keep getting caught out.

Bought an expensive video card just before all games went to shader 3.0 and my card didn't support it.

Then I bought a full system on the old Intel socket just before they decided to change everything for exactly the same range of cpus.

Simply making upgrades is what hardware companies don't want you doing. They want you buying as many new components as possible.

The only way around this is to buy new hardware every 6 months and then on sell the old stuff before it is worthless. You have to be quite hardcore to do it like that though.

Let us know what you've got and I'll see if there's any recommendations I can make.

atm this is what ive got
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
CPU: AMD FX-8120
Memory: 16gb 1600mhz DDR3 Dual Channel
PSU: Coolermaster GX 750w
GFX: Gigabyte Radeon HD7850 2GB OC
1TB standard Hard Drive

Built in August 2012

Any Recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
atm this is what ive got
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
CPU: AMD FX-8120
Memory: 16gb 1600mhz DDR3 Dual Channel
PSU: Coolermaster GX 750w
GFX: Gigabyte Radeon HD7850 2GB OC
1TB standard Hard Drive

Built in August 2012

Any Recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Get onto Intel. AMD kept up for a long time but these days really they're just nipping at the heels.

No disrespect to AMD I used to buy all their hardware and was an avid overclocker for a long time. Those days are gone though.

Really your computer seems fast enough but if you're keen to upgrade a top end i7 is going to double the cpu performance.

That video card seems to be aging and is around the same speed as a 750ti which is a decent budget model. Really the best bang for buck around now seems like the GTX970. Apparently just crushed the market forcing price drops from AMD because it was so good for the money.

Get onto Intel. AMD kept up for a long time but these days really they're just nipping at the heels.

No disrespect to AMD I used to buy all their hardware and was an avid overclocker for a long time. Those days are gone though.

Really your computer seems fast enough but if you're keen to upgrade a top end i7 is going to double the cpu performance.

That video card seems to be aging and is around the same speed as a 750ti which is a decent budget model. Really the best bang for buck around now seems like the GTX970. Apparently just crushed the market forcing price drops from AMD because it was so good for the money.
Yeah the Video Card isnt the greatest, did great for the first 12 months or so but then started to struggle once the games got better and bigger, ill probably just upgrade that and grab the GTX970 as you said for atleast the time being anyway.

Yeah ive been told that alot but their prices compared to AMD is what made me decide to go with AMD, Thanks for the help mate, most likely saved me spending money on a brand new build!

Damn impulse buys*

ZV6aeYV.jpg

*Epic Mickey and Nintendo Land forced upon me by the bundle gods.

Yeah the Video Card isnt the greatest, did great for the first 12 months or so but then started to struggle once the games got better and bigger, ill probably just upgrade that and grab the GTX970 as you said for atleast the time being anyway.

Yeah ive been told that alot but their prices compared to AMD is what made me decide to go with AMD, Thanks for the help mate, most likely saved me spending money on a brand new build!

To save more money don't even go an i7. If you only game and not into things like editing or making really really big spreadsheets you won't get any noticeable improvement from a decent i5. 970 is great bang for back. And that leads me to something awkward... ahem.

My last image of my rad acquisitions... had to return them :oops: When I upgraded my motherboard not long ago I penny pinched and went the MSI gaming 3 over the gaming 5. I knew it was lacking a few features, but on inspection it had a few PCIe slots, and two offset like you see on any SLI capable board. Turns out when you go through the specs only one slot was x16.. so yeah. Only crossfire capable. Was embarrassing going back to the shop today after screwing them down on price last night. Ended up getting a refund and dropped it on the Gigabyte GTX 980. Was seriously considering just going the full whack and buying a new mobo but this one isn't that old and was a good excuse to save some money (since that's what I'm meant to be doing). Bang for buck the 970 is the best option as it's nearly 300 bones cheaper and only about 10% in performance behind. But since I can't go SLI the 980 is the best I'm going to get until the dual chip and flagship GPUs.

Off the top of my head, PCCG and Scorptec have the MSI 970 going for $519. If you're not interested in overclocking just get a locked i5 like a 4460 for under $250. Your RAM and PSU are fine. Changing from AMD to Intel you'll have to switch mobo (can get a good budget model...like ahem mine) for under 200 and for a massive performance boost check to see if it supports Rapid Storage (I think all new Intel chip boards do anyway)? Do you know if your HDD is high speed (7200rpm)? With rapid storage you can get a program from Intel where you use a SSD to accelerate a HDD. This is what I do because I'm a tight arse and don't want to fork on a big SSD, and don't want to manage smaller ones. I have a 64gb LiteOn SSD accelerating my 1TB HDD. Basically it builds a cache like important windows processes and things you do more regularly on the SSD and you get all the same speed and performance benefits of using a SSD. Would hold you in steed for years.

And is it just me of did my writing get really tiny? o_O

Damn impulse buys*

ZV6aeYV.jpg

*Epic Mickey and Nintendo Land forced upon me by the bundle gods.

Missus got me that Mariokart 8 Wii U for xmas from Target (didn't come with the extra games). I think the deals from EB and co are better even with the extra junk anyway aren't they? I'm only new to the Wii U so others would have better recommendations, but I went out and got Mario 3D straight away and loving it. Grabbed Wind Waker too but yet to get into it.

Missus got me that Mariokart 8 Wii U for xmas from Target (didn't come with the extra games). I think the deals from EB and co are better even with the extra junk anyway aren't they? I'm only new to the Wii U so others would have better recommendations, but I went out and got Mario 3D straight away and loving it. Grabbed Wind Waker too but yet to get into it.
It cost me $429. I'll try the extra junk, it'll probably suck, but either way, i'm happy enough. I played a bit of Mario 3D at Target today while my mate was looking for the Don Bradman game, seemed pretty great, I'll probably get it in the near future. Wind Waker will also be near the top of my list.

I'm very happy with the $330 bundle I got from Amazon. Yeah, will never play Wii Party or Nintendo Land and had to fork out for adapters and an AV cable (................) but overall much better than I could have hoped for. Mario Kart and Mario 3D World were included.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're supposed to be able to train them up in Smash Bros.

And Skylanders is lame as s**t. What a rude comparison. :p

Seems apt.

do these amiibo's do anything?
In Smash Bros you can train them to have fighting styles and play against them. My mate had a fully trained one and it beat all of us, even in 4man free for all. Much harder than level 9 coms.

A guy entered a fully 1-on-1 trained Fox amiibo in a local tournament. Came in the top 4, only losing to the guy who eventually won the thing. And they look cool

Just preordered some of the new amiibos and bought Shadows of Mordor. Heard it was really good so thought I should check it out

The way I justify buying an amiibo when I absolutely despised skylanders is that the characters are ones I actually like and the actual models are pretty well done and not butchered (like the shitty style of the Disney ones and holy s**t spyro).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back