2014/15 Capital One Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Cahill backing up so much on the Sterling goal infuriated me.

Need Zouma to play. As he said in his first interview with Chelsea, he loves tackling and tackling hard.

I'd rather he didn't break another leg though.

Looks like they expected him to shoot on his right foot and were surprised when he went left.

Liverpool vs Chelsea Post-match Analysis:
http://www.lfc.vn/media/analysis-ma...elsea-sky-sports-capital-one-semi-final-leg1/

Jose thinks they controlled the game? Interesting call, I'm sure he intended for his players to sit deep and soak up pressure in this first leg but I very much doubt conceding 20 shots on goal was part of his master plan!

I know the pundits are all keen to scratch his balls at the moment and rightfully so because Chelsea are flying, but I think he was tactically out pointed in this instance, particularly in the 2nd half, and can probably consider himself lucky that we didn't capitalize on more of those chances.

Still, I think it's set up for a cracking 2nd leg at The Bridge next week. Both sides will be playing positive attacking football which should open the game up and give the likes of Coutinho, Fabregas, Sterling, Hazard, Lallana etc opportunities to shine going forward. Sturridge also a chance of making his return in the next week which would be a handy addition for us
20 shots on goal... Err..... Think it was about 5 wasnt it?

Cahill should have just taken him down and copped the yellow and FK.

Dont know what's happened to him this season, but he seems to be in 2 minds a lot of the time and its costing us.
Hes never really been that good mate. Remember him in his villa days and he made alot mistakes then

Hes never really been that good mate. Remember him in his villa days and he made alot mistakes then

He's shown in the past with us that he's solid and reliable when in form. Not saying he's great or world class or anything, but he's clearly out of form atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 on target to 1.

I think they had 19 all up, but a lot of it was shot at all costs kind of stuff.

Yep don't remember many clear cut chances that we should have scored. Chelsea defended reasonably well and are a cut above any other team in England.

Last edited:
Yeah that was terrible. I think he was trying to avoid him cutting back inside him but he just gave him so much room.

I think the biggest issue with Sterling's goal from Chelsea's perspective was the fact that Matic and Mikel both split to track Coutinho and Gerrard, and left too much space at the #10 position for Sterling to operate in. With his phenomenal acceleration and close control, he's going to make most defenders look foolish in that situation. Cahill can't step towards him because he'll just dance around him 9 times out of 10 and then it's a 1 v 1 against the keeper, he panicked slightly but I honestly don't think there was much he could do other than try to corral Raheem onto his weaker foot.

I think the biggest issue with Sterling's goal from Chelsea's perspective was the fact that Matic and Mikel both split to track Coutinho and Gerrard, and left too much space at the #10 position for Sterling to operate in. With his phenomenal acceleration and close control, he's going to make most defenders look foolish in that situation. Cahill can't step towards him because he'll just dance around him 9 times out of 10 and then it's a 1 v 1 against the keeper, he panicked slightly but I honestly don't think there was much he could do other than try to corral Raheem onto his weaker foot.
That's exactly what he should have done. At least then he's attempted to defend. Instead, he gifted Sterling a free run in towards goal and has done absolutely nothing to stop it.

6 on target to 1.

I think they had 19 all up, but a lot of it was shot at all costs kind of stuff.

Plus Gerrard hitting the post, several blocks, last ditch tackles etc. Point I was trying to make was that regardless of the specific statistics Chelsea conceded far more opportunities than Jose would have been comfortable with so his post-game assertion that his side were 'in control' was not consistent with what actually happened in the match. Knowing him and how meticulously he plans for these knockout games, I doubt his tactics would have involved hoping luck was on his side or Courtois picking up MOTM!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back