2014/15 Capital One Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Plus Gerrard hitting the post, several blocks, last ditch tackles etc. Point I was trying to make was that regardless of the specific statistics Chelsea conceded far more opportunities than Jose would have been comfortable with so his post-game assertion that his side were 'in control' was not consistent with what actually happened in the match. Knowing him and how meticulously he plans for these knockout games, I doubt his tactics would have involved hoping luck was on his side or Courtois picking up MOTM!
Bad finishing is not luck.

Bad finishing is not luck.

Hmm, I think you're missing the point mate. Unless you think Mourinho had planned all along for us to have 20 shots on goal and just assumed we wouldn't punish them for it? He's a bloody good manager, but clairvoyant? I think not! He was lucky in that his gamble to sit deep paid off this time, another day and it could've been 2 or 3.

Sounds like Liverpool will be sending out an unchanged lineup for the 2nd leg (3-4-3 Mignolet; Can, Skrtel, Sakho; Markovic, Henderson, Lucas, Moreno; Gerrard, Coutinho; Sterling), Sturridge a chance of making the bench after training strongly over the last week. After the way they cut through Chelsea at will in the 1st leg Liverpool will no doubt be feeling confident despite frustratingly being unable to convert that dominance into a score advantage going into the 2nd leg. At the end of the day though you're up against the best team in the country at home and this will be an extremely tough game. You can guarantee that Chelsea won't play 3 poor games in succession.

The talk is that Chelsea will play more proactively at home and to be honest I hope that's the case, we tend to play our best football against sides who push up on us as it gives more space to the likes of Coutinho, Sterling and Lallana to create havoc between the lines. With that in mind I think this will be another classic Chelsea-Liverpool 2nd leg tie and there will be goals, 3 or 4-2 either way.

You say "the talk is..." Indicating you don't think we usually play attacking at home. When will people start to realise we aren't the same team as last season?

Yeah, we'll obviously be more offensive at home.

I'm expecting a pretty big statement after the s**t we served up in the last 2 games.

You say "the talk is..." Indicating you don't think we usually play attacking at home. When will people start to realise we aren't the same team as last season?

I've watched plenty of Chelsea this season, I know how attacking you guys have been this year relative to previous seasons. It was more in relation to the way Mourinho approaches knockout cup ties - he tends to lock them down in the first and then open things up in the 2nd. I guess we'll see whether that holds true when we see Chelsea's team sheet - I'm expecting Oscar in for Mikel which you'd think would indicate a more attacking game plan where you'll be trying to gain control in the midfield.

Obviously if you can grant Jose's wish and give your team 25% of Anfield's passion & atmosphere then that will help to motivate the players too.

The players should be motivated enough without needing the crowd to fire them up.

Mourinho's words not mine Chef! Fortunately for him there should be several thousand Liverpool supporters crammed into the away end tonight, so he may well get his wish for 25% of Anfield's atmosphere at The Bridge!

Jose's words not mine Chef! Fortunately for him there should be several thousand Liverpool supporters crammed into the away end tonight, so he may well get his wish for 25% of Anfield's atmosphere at The Bridge.
He said our atmosphere was s**t. He said nothing about Anfield's being good.

Jose's words not mine Chef! Fortunately for him there should be several thousand Liverpool supporters crammed into the away end tonight, so he may well get his wish for 25% of Anfield's atmosphere at The Bridge.

Yeah I know, he's had a few digs at the support this season, not sure about the Anfield thing as there's not much different in the atmosphere there. Just saying it should make no difference to the players.

He also wants us to stop singing the slippery steve song, but they aint going to happen.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I know, he's had a few digs at the support this season, not sure about the Anfield thing as there's not much different in the atmosphere there. Just saying it should make no difference to the players.

He also wants us to stop singing the slippery steve song, but they aint going to happen.

Do they have a song for slippery john?

An incredibly poor Terry reference for something.

I got what he was aiming at(Terry slipping in the Pens of the UCL final), but it doesn't make much sense in this thread. Not sure why Pool supporters would sing about something that happened in a Chels/United game.

Last edited:
I got what he was aiming at(Terry slipping in the Pens of the UCL final), but it doesn't make much sense in this thread. Not sure why Pool supporters would sing about something that happened in a Chels/United game.

Makes about as much sense as Chelsea supporters singing a song about Gerrard in a game against United, or Aston Villa, or Tottenham etc, etc.

Makes about as much sense as Chelsea supporters singing a song about Gerrard in a game against United, or Aston Villa, or Tottenham etc, etc.
That's not true at all mate.

It's now a part of Chelsea folklore and will be sung for a long time, doesn't matter who we're playing its a Chelsea supporters song.

Last edited:
I suspect the Gerrard song won't be sung at all in 10 years time, maybe just in Chelsea v Liverpool games.

Its sung now by pretty much everyone because its damn funny, the football world had a gutful of the "do it for Stevie" wankfest, the fact that he actually used the "this does not slip" line and it all happened in the last 12 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back