Society/Culture Feminism part 1 - continued in part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I don't want to generalise anyone, I'd say that women are much, much more likely to report or feel threatened by sexual assault. By the definition of sexual assault, I've been sexually assaulted. I've seen my male friends be sexually assaulted.

But I just laughed it off, even though it made me pretty uncomfortable. I can't imagine many women I know doing the same thing if the roles were reversed.

What was the sexual assault ?

In your view, what’s wrong with American feminism today, and what can it do to improve?

After the great victory won by my insurgent, pro-sex, pro-fashion wing of feminism in the 1990s, American and British feminism has amazingly collapsed backward again into whining, narcissistic victimology. As in the hoary old days of Gloria Steinem and her Stalinist cohorts, we are endlessly subjected to the hackneyed scenario of history as a toxic wasteland of vicious male oppression and gruesome female suffering. College campuses are hysterically portrayed as rape extravaganzas where women are helpless fluffs with no control over their own choices and behavior. I am an equal opportunity feminist: that is, I call for the removal of all barriers to women's advance in the professional and political realms. However, I oppose special protections for women, which I reject as demeaning and infantilizing. My principal demand (as I have been repeating for nearly 25 years) is for colleges to confine themselves to education and to cease their tyrannical surveillance of students' social lives. If a real crime is committed, it must be reported to the police. College officials and committees have neither the expertise nor the legal right to be conducting investigations into he said/she said campus dating fiascos. Too many of today's young feminists seem to want hovering, paternalistic authority figures to protect and soothe them, an attitude I regard as servile, reactionary and glaringly bourgeois. The world can never be made totally safe for anyone, male or female: there will always be sociopaths and psychotics impervious to social controls. I call my system "street-smart feminism": there is no substitute for wary vigilance and personal responsibility.

source: http://www.americamagazine.org/content/all-things/catholic-pagan-10-questions-camille-paglia

I tend to be more in-sync with older feminists rather than modern feminists. I think she is spot on.

When a feminist like Camille Paglia is largely despised by the sisterhood, you know she's making sense.

It is a lot harder to fob off criticism by other women, men who disagree are easily labelled as sexist or misogynists, it is why they hate dissenting female voices more than male voices.

It is a lot harder to fob off criticism by other women, men who disagree are easily labelled as sexist or misogynists, it is why they hate dissenting female voices more than male voices.
Ah, is that why Tessie and the creepy crew get in such a tiz and resort to throwing around the infantile insult of 'mangina' whenever a male suggests that the MRA jihadis are a six pack short of a case?

Ah, is that why Tessie and the creepy crew get in such a tiz and resort to throwing around the infantile insult of 'mangina' whenever a male suggests that the MRA jihadis are a six pack short of a case?

I think it is a bit different, nobody really cares about men 'issues', other than a minority of men. In fact, men are largely mocked for even attempting to care about men issues. In general women are not, they get wide support from both genders. It is only a minority of women who speak out against modern feminism even though only a minority of women identify themselves as feminists.

I haven't spent much time/effort looking into the MRM so I am not sure if they are any more or less loopy than their female counterpart in terms of what they want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is a bit different, nobody really cares about men 'issues', other than a minority of men. In fact, men are largely mocked for even attempting to care about men issues. In general women are not, they get wide support from both genders. It is only a minority of women who speak out against modern feminism even though only a minority of women identify themselves as feminists.

I haven't spent much time/effort looking into the MRM so I am not sure if they are any more or less loopy than their female counterpart in terms of what they want.

Which men's issues are they?

Which men's issues are they?

Domestic violence against men, sexual assault/harassment against men (both in and out of prison systems) certainly aren't taken seriously.

Additionally male suicide rate is barely talked about nor is there very much discourse/funding for prostate cancer.

These are serious issues, and are either mocked/dismissed or simply not talked about.

Domestic violence against men, sexual assault/harassment against men (both in and out of prison systems) certainly aren't taken seriously.

Additionally male suicide rate is barely talked about nor is there very much discourse/funding for prostate cancer.

These are serious issues, and are either mocked/dismissed or simply not talked about.
The biggest one for them would have to be the family court bias I am guessing. Also male circumcision is another they raise.

The biggest one for them would have to be the family court bias I am guessing. Also male circumcision is another they raise.

I almost mentioned the family court stuff, but thought it might be a bit to on the nose, and didn't want to poison the well. Completely forgot about circumcision, which is odd because I read an article just yesterday about a case in america where one parent wants it done, the other doesn't, and the Judge is ordering it to happen.

http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_23664.shtml

Not sure id count male circumcision as one.

It may not be always done due to a current medical issue, but for the prevention of possible issues. But it is a genuine medical procedure.

I think media have always been reluctant to discuss suicide because mental health professionals advised against public discussion.

Did you miss Movember?

I think media have always been reluctant to discuss suicide because mental health professionals advised against public discussion.

Did you miss Movember?

As memory serves more men get prostate cancer, and more die from it, than women get breast cancer, and die from it.

There is a vast gap between the two (EDIT: ) in terms of funding and public discourse.

Not sure id count male circumcision as one.

It may not be always done due to a current medical issue, but for the prevention of possible issues. But it is a genuine medical procedure.
Male circumcision is an odd one. I have heard many women say they prefer it aesthetically. I don't think it would be equally tolerated if a man said he preferred women who'd undergone labiaplasty or even worse, FGM.

As memory serves more men get prostate cancer, and more die from it, than women get breast cancer, and die from it.

There is a vast gap between the two (EDIT: ) in terms of funding and public discourse.
Most men die from prostate cancer at an older age than women from breast cancer, and oftentimes prostate cancer, even after diagnosis, doesn't kill you (you just end up getting old and die of old age).

I don't think testicular cancer gets the attention it deserves though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back