News 2015 preseason training news and updates

Remove this Banner Ad

I was unsure of his match fitness. He actually looked completely spent after he lost the pill but then laid 2 more tackles and was involved again to create the stoppage. I really liked the repeat efforts defensively and him showing that his game is not just about playing in one direction - as good as he appears to be going that one way.

Yeah, very good signs. As desperate as we are to see him flourish this season, in reality like all young players he'll take time; for me I'll be extremely happy with one or two great 'moments' at senior level this year. He'll work out pretty quickly how much fitness and strength is required too. I'd be looking at somewhere between 4-8 senior games. If he gets that, shows a little here and there, that's a tick from me.

Last edited:
I think they have to take a different approach with McIntosh this season given how last year went. This approach sounds like one change. The other will be spelling him regularly through the season with at least Stanley there to provide support if Simpson is again absent.

I don't think there's ever been a season where the management of our ruck division needs to be so precise and accurate.

I don't think there's ever been a season where the management of our ruck division needs to be so precise and accurate.
Precise like a surgeon.

What should we do though. We need to get off to a good start, with the hard matches in the first few rounds, at the same time need to not have ruckmen, more precisely no1 rucks broken down come season end. Hopefully with another finals series to participate in.

So I'd say there needs to be rotation in the ruck department, especially through the middle of the season as neither Dawson or Hamish in particular are capable of 22 consecutive games.

http://m.geelongadvertiser.com.au/s...premiership-push/story-fnjuhrxq-1227259128870

Good to hear McIntosh is in front of where he was this time last year. Lets hope his knee stands up now and he can give us a good run in 2015. He's best 22 if fit IMO.
It is David, also let's hope his surgery is as successful as it was for Riewoldt + Cooney, so he can have a good run in 2015. Although, I am concerned about HMac's lack of AFL match fitness, which suggests he + Simpson will need to be managed again this season. But fingers crossed they both play more games, with a terrific season (Finals too I hope) fit + healthy + definitely injury free. It's time our luck changed with injuries. Also, it'd be wonderful if Stanley enabled HMac + Simpson to be rotated, while also being able to perform at both ends. I'm nearly bursting to see Stanley! He seems to be a Chris Scott 'versatility' dream.

It is David, also let's hope his surgery is as successful as it was for Riewoldt + Cooney, so he can have a good run in 2015. Although, I am concerned about HMac's lack of AFL match fitness, which suggests he + Simpson will need to be managed again this season. But fingers crossed they both play more games, with a terrific season (Finals too I hope) fit + healthy + definitely injury free. It's time our luck changed with injuries. Also, it'd be wonderful if Stanley enabled HMac + Simpson to be rotated, while also being able to perform at both ends. I'm nearly bursting to see Stanley! He seems to be a Chris Scott 'versatility' dream.
Maybe.

He did play 19 games last year and, while he was running on the spot at the end, that is a vast improvement on the previous 3 seasons where he played a grand total of 8 games.

I think the issue is more his apparent fragility (much like Simpson) rather than his match fitness.

McIntosh's early season form last year was, I thought, quite good for a guy coming off a long layoff.

In his (statistically) best season in 2009 he averaged 23.4 hitouts, roughly 16 and a half disposals a game, 5 marks and a couple of tackles a game.

Last year he averaged 20 hitouts, basically 14 disposals, almost 4 marks and 2 & a half tackles a game.

Those 2014 stats ain't too bad a return considering his age and injury history. Also suggests, at least statistically speaking, a lack of match fitness wasn't too big a problem for him despite a long lay off.

The quality of those hitouts and disposals would need investigating as would his ability to get around the ground, run to space to provide an option, defend his man etc etc for a better picture though.

We'll know soon enough how well the surgery worked I suppose.

Last edited:
Yeah, very good signs. As desperate as we are to see him flourish this season, in reality like all young players he'll take time; for me I'll be extremely happy with one or two great 'moments' at senior level this year. He'll work out pretty quickly how much fitness and strength is required too. I'd be looking at somewhere between 4-8 senior games. If he gets that, shows a little here and there, that's a tick from me.

I agree......but something tells me that we might just get a whole lot more than that!

According to Sam McClure on 3AW:
Menzel has done his hammy :(
Hawkins contract is all but done deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SJ just revealed on the Fox broadcast that Stanley will play VFL also on Saturday.
Great news. If Stanley, SJ, Jansen, Gore & Cunico are all having a run I might be tempted to stroll down a have look.
Will try and report back on how they go if I end up checking it out.

Anyone else notice the only club not to bother updating their injury list on the AFL site this week?

If in doubt, your first educated guess will see you right.

(sigh)
If their goal was to have supporters stop expecting timely, regular and accurate updates, they have succeeded impressively.

Anyone else notice the only club not to bother updating their injury list on the AFL site this week?

If in doubt, your first educated guess will see you right.

(sigh)

Well I'm bloody outraged :mad:

* Am I doing it right ?

* Am I doing it right ?
Doesn't make them heal any quicker, knowing or not knowing...

And no you're not doing it right... Where's a gif? Are you getting slack after 52k posts...

:p

Hey guys I have to make an apology on my info regarding McIntosh... I was told that he might be a while and when or if we get him back he will have be heavily managed. This was due to the amount of football he has missed and an inability to get an AFL hardened body. :oops:

It's great news to get him back early and hopefully he will make it right through the year. :D

Hey guys I have to make an apology on my info regarding McIntosh... I was told that he might be a while and when or if we get him back he will have be heavily managed. This was due to the amount of football he has missed and an inability to get an AFL hardened body. :oops:

It's great news to get him back early and hopefully he will make it right through the year. :D
Meh- don't stress, GQ.
I didn't put any money on it!! ;)

* Am I doing it right ?

Whatever works for you, @JUBJUB.;)

I know you imagine I'm frothing about this. In reality, I'm simply disappointed that we're subjected to an inferior level of injury reporting to every other club in the competition.

To the club's credit, they've today stumped up the latest in their new and improved series of nebulous injury updates for the AFL website.

And some of the players even changed status. Wonders will never cease!:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back