Hawthorn sledge Clark? Clark doesn't think so : Joel Selwood cries wolf

Remove this Banner Ad

Man, I've never read a thread that has made me so disappointed at almost half the Hawks supporter base. It is one thing to question if something was said, but the amount of people on here personally attacking the integrity of a man who you know next to nothing about and accusing him of faking mental illness is just unreal. Who are you guys, as people who have probably never been close to Mitch Clark let alone know him, to judge him?

No one has said a single disparaging thing about Clark on this site!

Before coming the high moral ground, at least check your premises & get your facts right!

What we are questioning are the tactics of the Cats Captain & (we assume, done with the blessing of Club & Coach) his club, in their behavior in the media towards the Hawthorn Football Club & it's players after this match.

If you truly believe this was not inspired by simple Sour Grapes at having been resoundingly flogged at our hands, & the subsequent 'Outing' of Motlop; Then you clearly are the only Hawks supporter with 20/20 vision & the rest of us are clearly blind.

Joel Selwood has 'Form' so far as being a post-match SOOK with regards the HFC & him/ his club losing....He clearly does not like being beaten by us & cannot take it neither, if his words & behavior are any gauge whatsoever....This time even he has hit a low water mark on this score & has made an absolute Embarrassment & ASS of himself & his club into the bargain

If you want to cast dispersion's (Ah La Kevin Sheedy Style) in the media, then at least provide evidence rather than spreading innuendo & hoping to taint an entire team by proxy.....We embarrassed the Flog & his team & these actions since are merely an attempt at some retributive "Payback"....That much, is obvious.

No one is judging Clark....Your comments are absurd!

Very well said and responded to Mister A's rubbish procrastinator 35

Selwood = Whining little sore loser

Maybe it's time this thread did the same as Clark has suggested and we get on with the footy and put all this behind us and end the thread.

Too much time being spent on a club that has very clearly shown it has no class. We have a bunch of systematic dopers we could be paying out on in a game day thread

VlgCezu.png

"If youre going to write an article then check your facts"
Damian Barrett blocked me on twitter after I suggested he should check his facts before breaking stories and slandering clubs. I wasn't even abusive.

What a fragile, sook of a person he is. He should know that a key requirement of his job as a journalist is to be accountable. If he wants to break rumour and inuendo stories then he should go get a job with the Women's Weekly.

Damian Barrett blocked me on twitter after I suggested he should check his facts before breaking stories and slandering clubs. I wasn't even abusive.

What a fragile, sook of a person he is. He should know that a key requirement of his job as a journalist is to be accountable. If he wants to break rumour and inuendo stories then he should go get a job with the Women's Weekly.
Good on ya. Anyone who has twitter should do the same! What a flog.

Man, I've never read a thread that has made me so disappointed at almost half the Hawks supporter base. It is one thing to question if something was said, but the amount of people on here personally attacking the integrity of a man who you know next to nothing about and accusing him of faking mental illness is just unreal. Who are you guys, as people who have probably never been close to Mitch Clark let alone know him, to judge him?

Yes, Hawks fans should not be saying anything disparaging about Clark and mental illness. He, and ridiculous defensive argumemts against him or deconstructing his character, are not the issue.

But if you read every post, as i have believe it or not, the majority of the thread is concerned with:

* the fact something was alleged in a speculative manner. T
* without any due process a players name was raised as the offending party. No one knew what was said, no formal complaint, but geelong and the papers were happy to run with brian lake
* clark exonerated lake via social media. Saying the whole thing was blown way out of proportion.
* no retraction articles or comment from Geelong or the papers on that.
* a continued push from people- including the likes of tim watson- to push it as a story even after new evidence has come to light.
* barratt continues to run with the story

So yes - lay off Clark. I agree with you. Mental illness is no joke. I have suffered debilitating times myself and there is no need to get stuck in to him, as it is not an easy thing to deal with.

But also recognise that this event has no facts involved substantiated by anyone. It has innuendo only- and despite the player himself putting the story to bed, we are still being pursued. I say 'we' as anyone with an objective mind can see this is an attack on the Hawthorn brand. We are all being painted with the same brush- and based on what? Based on what????

You should be as fervent about seeking the truth as you are about criticising behaviour in this thread. You are not wrong, but there should be other things that concern you more.

Could have taken some posts out of context but weren't some posters implying he didn't have a mental illness and was lying about it?
The vibe of some posts was to suggest that Clark may have leaned on his diagnosis to justify leaving MFC when he left Brisbane chasing a big payday in which he said he was going to Perth to be with family. The inference he or his manager have stage managed his departures to paint them in a good light or that he has made some poor decisions. The public way he discussed his depression at that time appeared odd and was again either poor judgement by him or his advisors or served a purpose and maybe a little bit of both.
I don't believe anyone thinks his diagnosis is deniable but the motivation to move has been questioned in relation to how relevant his depression was to his need to move on from MFC at that point in time.
Suggestions being other factors were more important but the use of his depression as justification for completely ending his contract is easier to digest for MFC and its supporters. That was until in a reasonably short period he jumps back in and heads to a club with more of a finals hope without offering his services to Melbourne.
That has been my interpretation of posters intentions with some maybe having limited knowledge of what depression is and thinking he is now cured because he was back playing and that depression was exaggerated. His mental health is his business, we don't know nor should we, so if he is/was depressed he should be the one to bring it up again in the media not Joel Selwood. Shedding the absolute best light possible on what Selwood said the other night he made an error in judgement and he has opened the door for all the football community to think poorly of the entire hawthorn organisation including our own supporters who have been disappointed in our players and no-one knows what for including Mitch from what I have seen and heard.

Wow the majority of responses on here are suprising.

If indeed he was sledged due to a mental illness, thats not on. You can't do it in any workplace.

Just because it involves your footy club, don't act like it does not matter.

If it was a Geelong player who sledged someone for it, I would be mortified.

Agree 100%. But that is not the issue here.

He gets hit in the head a lot. I work in mental health and I think what he might be doing is projecting his feeling of guilt for all the cheating he has done by ducking his head. His poor little sunken eyes and all that scar tissue over his head and lips he can't show how sad he is so he tries to do it through the media using poor mitch clarke. He wants to deflect this pain onto the hawks who are the cause of his pain so he makes up a little story inspired by what Mitch told him about some naughty hawthorn supporters behind the goals. With all that bone aggravation his skull would have to thicken to absorb the impact of course this reduces the room available for brain tissue which is mainly ok - lift arm, duck head, take free kick, whinge when beaten; doesn't really use that much of the available capacity. It is usually speech and language that is most affected and evidence suggests it is the case. So please be nice to poor little Joel he has brought this on him self a victim of his own making and now probably has no way to see himself out of it.
Interesting theory....I like it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's his superiors you should be tweeting with your concerns not him. He couldn't give a rats bum what your opinion is his processing goes like this finish work take paychecque. The people producing the show on the other hand care very much and write said paychecque.

Seriously, posting some of the cheeky rumours about Mitch Clark on here are in massive poor taste. PULL YOUR HEADS IN

Let's stop making this about Selwood and Clark. The issue here is that a Hawks player allegedly sledged someone about their mental illness. Yes the facts might prove this to be an exaggeration but you'd hope most of our players and supporters would realise that it's extremely insensitive and definitely not something we'd want to define the culture at Hawthorn FC.

Gracious in victory, humble in defeat. This is Clarkson's mantra and although he's had to learn his own lessons along the way it's what he drives the players to achieve.

That is all fine. But I must have missed the AFL announcement that the footy show is the proper forum for these things.

If Clark was sledged about depression that is completely unacceptable and pathetic. And it should be dealt with through the proper channels in the same way Long dealt with Monkhurst.

But it is equally pathetic by Selwood to use the footy show 3 days later to sook about it. It is nothing more than slander.

Seriously, posting some of the cheeky rumours about Mitch Clark on here are in massive poor taste. PULL YOUR HEADS IN

Let's stop making this about Selwood and Clark. The issue here is that a Hawks player allegedly sledged someone about their mental illness. Yes the facts might prove this to be an exaggeration but you'd hope most of our players and supporters would realise that it's extremely insensitive and definitely not something we'd want to define the culture at Hawthorn FC.

Gracious in victory, humble in defeat. This is Clarkson's mantra and although he's had to learn his own lessons along the way it's what he drives the players to achieve.

Since the FACTS show that nothing happened and Slewood is entirely to blame for the entiure issue I hope you're happy to retract this. The entire thread is about selwood and his pathetic excuse for a sook. Clark doing the dirty on a club that protected and nurtured him is a side issue.

High horses are so hard to get down from. Best not to climb on them in the forst place.

Barrett's history indicates that accountable is not in his dictionary.

It's his superiors you should be tweeting with your concerns not him. He couldn't give a rats bum what your opinion is his processing goes like this finish work take paychecque. The people producing the show on the other hand care very much and write said paychecque.
The fact he's blocked me means I know he's seen my message and that it got to him. That his credibility being called into question has caused him to get defensive.

His bosses don't care what he writes or what the public think of him. As long as his articles and stories get clicks and views that generate ad revenue then they'll let him do whatever.

There are journalistic standards and codes he must follow but I doubt any of these bodies that are meant to enforce them care about this either.

Since the FACTS show that nothing happened and Slewood is entirely to blame for the entiure issue I hope you're happy to retract this. The entire thread is about selwood and his pathetic excuse for a sook. Clark doing the dirty on a club that protected and nurtured him is a side issue.

High horses are so hard to get down from. Best not to climb on them in the forst place.

Neville can express his opinion. There is a post writing about the rumour of why Clark left the Demons early in the thread to which Neville expressed his view somewhat forcefully. It is incorrect to state that the entire thread is about Selwood when you read some of the posts early in the thread.

The facts of what happened on Easter Monday will never be known. Clark chose not to pursue a complaint and we are enrolled to draw conclusions from that, but it's not the same as being incontrovertible facts being disclosed.

The vibe of some posts was to suggest that Clark may have leaned on his diagnosis to justify leaving MFC when he left Brisbane chasing a big payday in which he said he was going to Perth to be with family. The inference he or his manager have stage managed his departures to paint them in a good light or that he has made some poor decisions. The public way he discussed his depression at that time appeared odd and was again either poor judgement by him or his advisors or served a purpose and maybe a little bit of both.
I don't believe anyone thinks his diagnosis is deniable but the motivation to move has been questioned in relation to how relevant his depression was to his need to move on from MFC at that point in time.
Suggestions being other factors were more important but the use of his depression as justification for completely ending his contract is easier to digest for MFC and its supporters. That was until in a reasonably short period he jumps back in and heads to a club with more of a finals hope without offering his services to Melbourne.
That has been my interpretation of posters intentions with some maybe having limited knowledge of what depression is and thinking he is now cured because he was back playing and that depression was exaggerated. His mental health is his business, we don't know nor should we, so if he is/was depressed he should be the one to bring it up again in the media not Joel Selwood. Shedding the absolute best light possible on what Selwood said the other night he made an error in judgement and he has opened the door for all the football community to think poorly of the entire hawthorn organisation including our own supporters who have been disappointed in our players and no-one knows what for including Mitch from what I have seen and heard.
Sure - whether there is merit or not about these comments I think the post Mr A copped was a bit harsh from P35 saying that "no one has said anything disparaging about Clark" because this is plainly wrong. Anyway - I think I'm done with this. Want to crush the Bombers today

I would say the issue with "journalists" these days is that because there are so many of them and the wonderful world of social media is so close at hand that they are constantly looking to be an exclusive or at least first cab off the rank.

I find it difficult to believe - no really I do :rolleyes: that Barrett sat on this story for three days knowing that selwood was going to be a guest on the show and would wait till then to verify his information. It seems, contrary to what poor cats fans want everyone to believe, that selwood gave him the heads up before the show and hence the question live. Barrett thought he had a reliable source in the upstanding golden boy of the afl and captain courageous of the geelong football club and hence failed to research or bother to confirm with either geelong fc or mitch Clark that the information was 100% correct. What he failed to take in to consideration was the sooky la la factor of both selwood and Scott who would of been smarting from having to suspend motlop. To then have Clark tweet what he did was a slap in the face and undermines his credibility :cool: and not surprising he then reacts with bans of anyone who dares to call him on it - god forbid that he should just man up and wear it.

THREE DAYS for an issue with such serious implications to make the news - I don't think so

Or The Age!

Sure - whether there is merit or not about these comments I think the post Mr A copped was a bit harsh from P35 saying that "no one has said anything disparaging about Clark" because this is plainly wrong. Anyway - I think I'm done with this. Want to crush the Bombers today

O.K then....Name the posters you think have crossed the line....Make your point TO THEM about how you have issues with what they have to say....And stop hiding behind & sniping my comments in a second hand manner Sweet-Pea!

If you want to bitch & moan about your own MOBS supporters & their opinions then address them directly!

O.K then....Name the posters you think have crossed the line....Make your point TO THEM about how you have issues with what they have to say....And stop hiding behind & sniping my comments in a second hand manner Sweet-Pea!

If you want to bitch & moan about your own MOBS supporters & their opinions then address them directly!
Ok. Direct. I think you're a bit of a knob. There's you go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back